Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
sidybee

Friends: (0)
Default howdy hey

hello fellow electrics.
im sid ive been rc flying for a while. just got back into it again this time electric speedy bees and lazy bee (i just lov those) any who i just put a 3530 kv-1100 and a bal 40 amp speed controller with bec in my speedy bee and man what a great flier except for the little problem.. and that is when i fly it seems to lock up IE i lose controll for a breif moment 20-40 seconds then regain control all this at about half throttle. now i had a smaller s 30 amp speedy control with a smaller motor and it worked fine. im at a loss as to whats going on maybe you guys could give me some where to look. wires are good ect.....and thanks for letting me in on this sire great place ive been reading quite a bit everyday
Old 02-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Hi Welcome to Wattflyers, I think the problem that you had is a LVC Low voltage cutoff, Caused by Drawing to many amps or a battery that is to small for your plane, Get yourself a wattmeter to check the amp Draw to make sure its with in allowable draw of the battery and esc. If the motor cuts off during flight, move the throttle to off then to 1/2 throttle, the motor should come back on again to get you back in, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Analyzer.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
sidybee

could be i dunno i did not set up that . it flew great for the first battery then on second battery it started this. ill check the instrutions on set up the lvc .
the esc is for 40 amps and the motor is suposed to be 315 watts so it should be able to handle the motor...
just more info the radio is one of those cheap 6ch flyski and same with receiver. i was gunna use my spare 30 amp esc to test that motor on to see if it does the same thing.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (38)

Welcome to the site!!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by sidybee View Post
could be i dunno i did not set up that . it flew great for the first battery then on second battery it started this. ill check the instrutions on set up the lvc .
the esc is for 40 amps and the motor is suposed to be 315 watts so it should be able to handle the motor...
just more info the radio is one of those cheap 6ch flyski and same with receiver. i was gunna use my spare 30 amp esc to test that motor on to see if it does the same thing.
Another possibility is that it could be a brown out situation, caused by low voltage to the Receiver, some 2.4 receivers will go into a brown out if the voltage drops down to low, some cheap insurance would be to use a UBEC of at least 3 amps.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39138

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-23-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
sidybee

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Another possibility is that it could be a brown out situation, caused by low voltage to the Receiver, some 2.4 receivers will go into a brown out if the voltage drops down to low, some cheap insurance would be to use a UBEC of at least 3 amps.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39138
could be but i dont think so my voltage is 11.9 12.1 when this happens
and im running 4 micro servos 2 of witch are ailerons wired together.
1 rudder and 1 elevator its just like when it happens nothing happens when i move the sticks but the motor is still jamming along. all this happens 3 or 4 times then i just try and land it. never happens full throttle as far as i know.
i got a couple things to try i dont have watt meter its on order though. ill switch out the esc for a 30 amp i have and see if that solves it. if not ill be back with more ?s .
and thank you for the welcome all this electric stuff is very new to me . a big learning time ahead of me.
that link has some very usefull info about a ubec ill go order one of those two and give it a shot. thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

could be but i dont think so my voltage is 11.9 12.1 when this happens
and im running 4 micro servos 2 of witch are ailerons wired together.
1 rudder and 1 elevator its just like when it happens nothing happens when i move the sticks but the motor is still jamming along. all this happens 3 or 4 times then i just try and land it. never happens full throttle as far as i know.
i got a couple things to try i dont have watt meter its on order though. ill switch out the esc for a 30 amp i have and see if that solves it. if not ill be back with more ?s .
and thank you for the welcome all this electric stuff is very new to me . a big learning time ahead of me.
Give us your power set up, motor size, prop size, esc amp size, ESC bec amp rating, lipo mah, C rating and cell count, myself or someone here can tell you if its a balanced power system. also give the MFG of the power system parts.

The problem could be your built in Bec, when they get hot, they dont work very well, regardless of the battery voltage, the Bec is a voltage regulator built into the ESC, some are weak. some are linear and some are switching ( electronic ) as compaired to a Linear resistor type.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

hello fellow electrics.
im sid ive been rc flying for a while. just got back into it again this time electric speedy bees and lazy bee (i just lov those) any who i just put a 3530 kv-1100 and a bal 40 amp speed controller with bec in my speedy bee and man what a great flier except for the little problem.. and that is when i fly it seems to lock up IE i lose controll for a breif moment 20-40 seconds then regain control all this at about half throttle. now i had a smaller s 30 amp speedy control with a smaller motor and it worked fine. im at a loss as to whats going on maybe you guys could give me some where to look. wires are good ect.....and thanks for letting me in on this sire great place ive been reading quite a bit everyday
Another potential issue is whether your ESC has a linear Battery Elimination Circuit, and three or more LiPo cells in your battery pack.

If those linear BEC's get hot, they shut off for about a half minute, then start up again after they cool off. Meanwhile you've got zero control of your model.

Take a look:

BEC Linear Current Rating
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63779

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #9
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

hello sid,welcome to wattflyer,if you find out whats wrong please let us know what you fiind out. 20 to 30seconds is a long time when flying for you to loose control.

is it throttle control your loosing? if its rx/tx control for 30sec's i would loose my plane.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #10
sidybee

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
hello sid,welcome to wattflyer,if you find out whats wrong please let us know what you fiind out. 20 to 30seconds is a long time when flying for you to loose control.

is it throttle control your loosing? if its rx/tx control for 30sec's i would loose my plane.
i dont lose throttle but i do(i cant throttle down or up) same with controls
then all of a sudden its back and everything works. good thing its a speedy be it floats good one time it was in a turn and that happened oh boy i got worried second time it was flying straight and towards a car oh boy again.
i did a bench test just a while ago and ran the motor and controls on the bench and i noticed a glitch so i twisted the bec wires about 7 times and then retested the glitch went away. i have to make repairs to the tail (had some damage i didn't see. so it will be a couple days before i can take it out and fly. i was reading some where that if you twist all the wires it helped. ( i remember doing that with electric gate openers long time ago i had installed a gate opener and the ground loop was being triggered by an airplane flying over, went back dug up the wires and twisted every one about 10 times per foot solved the problem) i will post back my results when i can get out and fly. im still testing while on bench for other things.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

i dont lose throttle but i do(i cant throttle down or up) same with controls
then all of a sudden its back and everything works. good thing its a speedy be it floats good one time it was in a turn and that happened oh boy i got worried second time it was flying straight and towards a car oh boy again.
i did a bench test just a while ago and ran the motor and controls on the bench and i noticed a glitch so i twisted the bec wires about 7 times and then retested the glitch went away. i have to make repairs to the tail (had some damage i didn't see. so it will be a couple days before i can take it out and fly. i was reading some where that if you twist all the wires it helped. ( i remember doing that with electric gate openers long time ago i had installed a gate opener and the ground loop was being triggered by an airplane flying over, went back dug up the wires and twisted every one about 10 times per foot solved the problem) i will post back my results when i can get out and fly. im still testing while on bench for other things.
Do a Wire wiggle test, on the bench, remove the prop, turn every thing on, run the motor up a little, grab the wires at the esc and wiggle them and pull on them a bit, see if you can induce a glitch, if you can, then the problem is a loose connection.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #12
sidybee

hummm didn't think of a wire wiggle test Thanks ill sure do that too.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:39 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

hummm didn't think of a wire wiggle test Thanks ill sure do that too.
I am a retired Female fleet tech, on Vehicles with the computer control systems, that what we had to do a lot of times to find electrical problems, when the computer scan tool could not find the problems

Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

While most of the stuff was (as usual!) very well covered by Chellie & Denny, I thought I'd mention something not covered yet. It seems you checked your battery after these incidents for good voltage, but one way brownouts happen is when the battery is under load, they go have something called voltage sag. Depending on the battery rating, condition, and load, the voltage can drop significantly, to the point where you get a LVC or even a brownout. That wattmeter will tell you what's going on, as you should be able to monitor the voltage while running. (Carefully!)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Not worth a crashed model on the days of $25 esc with a 6 amp switch mode bec.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Sky-Powe...-BEC-H-105.htm

60 amp model is also on sale for $27 today.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 02-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Not worth a crashed model on the days of $25 esc with a 6 amp switch mode bec.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Sky-Powe...-BEC-H-105.htm

60 amp model is also on sale for $27 today.
Good Find

Old 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #17
sidybee

have a watt meter ordered and ubec too . but im pretty sure something is causing interference from the stuff thats in the plane. flew great on first battery then on second one a few minutes into flight started having problems. waiting on watt meter. in the mean time im reading as much as i can...
Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

have a watt meter ordered and ubec too . but im pretty sure something is causing interference from the stuff thats in the plane. flew great on first battery then on second one a few minutes into flight started having problems. waiting on watt meter. in the mean time im reading as much as i can...
Hi Give us a little Info on what transmitter and receiver you are using, some are good and some are problematic, also give us the MFG of the power system parts and description, battery, esc, motor, lipo size etc. all this is very important to try to find the culprit, some power system parts are good, and some are junk, we really cant help you very much if we dont have the MFG of the power system parts and a description of them.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
sidybee

radio is flysky FS-CT6B 2.4 off ebay china thing receiver came with it, lipo 3s1p 20c and 40c
motor is aeolian 3530 kv1100, esc is bal pentium 40 amp with 3amp @5volt bec ,and a low battery buzzer installed, servos 4 SG90 micro 2 wire together to work as one.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #20
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

radio is flysky FS-CT6B 2.4 off ebay china thing receiver came with it, lipo 3s1p 20c and 40c
motor is aeolian 3530 kv1100, esc is bal pentium 40 amp with 3amp @5volt bec ,and a low battery buzzer installed, servos 4 SG90 micro 2 wire together to work as one.
Hi Thank you for the info, Just a little more info needed, the MAH of the lipo is very important, is the lipo a 2000mah 2200mah 1000mah, this info is very much needed also, the prop size is needed too, that is very important, as it will; determine the draw of the motor, and the MAH size lipo will determine if the battery is capable of delivering the amps needed, you mentioned it worked ok with one battery and not the other, so i am guessing that the 40c lipo may be doing the job and the 20C lipo may not, the MAH size of the lipo is really needed.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #21
sidybee

both are 2200 and the 20 c is the first one that i flew on. and the 40 is the second one i was going to really open it up when i could not regain control for a few then i just 1/2 throttled to see what was going on not realy 1/2 more like 1/4 a touch more
prop is 10,6 should have been fine with everything
Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #22
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

both are 2200 and the 20 c is the first one that i flew on. and the 40 is the second one i was going to really open it up when i could not regain control for a few then i just 1/2 throttled to see what was going on not realy 1/2 more like 1/4 a touch more
prop is 10,6 should have been fine with everything
It looks like the 10x6 prop you are using is to much pitch for the Prop diameter. drop down to a smaller prop like a 9x5 or 10x4.7 , I belive you are drawing to much amps for the ESC to handle, it will need to be checked with a Wattmeter, also are the lipos fresh or are they older lipos,

Aeolian C3530 - KV1100 Brushless Motor

Rs.1,950.00

Specification
Rotational Speed:1100(kv)RPM/V
Continuous Current:30A
Max. Current:40A
Input Voltage:6-14.8V
Max. Efficiency:98%
No Load Current: 1.5A
Internal Resistance:82m(Omega)
Power:315W
Motor Weight (Motor only):80g
Motor Dimensions (Diameter x Length):35mm x 30mm
Propeller Dimensions:9"x5"/10"x4.7"

Old 02-24-2014, 02:27 AM   #23
sidybee

new lipos only couple weeks old. this is the first time they have been used.
i charged them then discharged them then balance charged them.
the ESC is very cool to the touch when i touched it, i dont think its getting hot. but im waiting on watt meter to make sure. my smaller motor runs the 10-6 just fine sometimes i run a 11-5 on it with a 30 amp esc same with it runs cool. but ill wait for the meter and go get a 10-4.7

EDIT .. my bad that is an 11-7 prop on there wow ya i prob got to much prop. i though i put on the 10-6 hahahaha
old age catching up with me...
Old 02-24-2014, 04:18 AM   #24
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Any 10" should be fine as well as a low pitch 11", but respect the wattmeter.

Or do what I do. pull way too much out of it and ignore the watt meter .

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-01-2014, 01:54 AM   #25
sidybee

ok got the watt meter and run some test 10.6 prop full throttle 15 amp 198 watts
11.6 prop full throttle 19.38 amps and 203 watts so according to this im good and can prop go 12.5 prop any now still stumped why i lose control of the controls but motor is still running.... any ideas oh motor was warm but not hot for the few minutes it run.
the 11.6 prop is what i like the best it flys great with it.

this is on new lipo 2200 - 20c fresh charge like off the charger and hooked up fresh

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions