Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Flight Simulators
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Cybert99

Friends: (0)
Default RC Flight Simulator Comparison Chart

I've spent the last several weeks researching the RC Flight Sims on the market and I decided to compile all my notes, web links, and other data into a comprehensive chart. I figured this might be useful for others out there who, like me, are trying to pick the perfect program to suit their needs, so I just published the chart here:

http://www.emptynestgames.com/rc_sim_chart.html

If you go to the page please let me know if you find any mistakes or inaccuracies. (You can reply here, or reply using the e-mail address on the page.)

Thanks!

FYI: After my exhaustive analysis effort here are some quick comments on all the sims listed in my chart:

G4: I downloaded the G3 demo and liked it a lot... but it hitches, especially after a crash. (There's a two to four second pause before I see the plane break apart.) So I suspect that G4 is too beefy for my 3 year old Dell...

AFPD: There isn't a demo available for this one. It sounds good, but it's hard to judge it without seeing it in action.

REFLEX: The non-interactive demo is AMAZING, but Reflex XTR is kind of pricey. (And neither of my transmitters would work, so I'd have to buy a third transmitter just for the sim. Ugh.)

PHOENIX: This demo was also great and it's cheaper than Reflex. I'd still need to buy a third transmitter though. Ugh squared.

FS ONE: Not sure why, but based on all the comments I've seen I'm just not that interested in this one. Still, it's supposed to be a fantastic sim.

CLEARVIEW: I bought this sim the day I found it. It's been a great re-introduction to RC control, but it just doesn't measure up to the other demos I downloaded. (In terms of realism, graphics, and features.)

FMS: This one never made me feel like I was standing in one place flying an RC plane or helicopter somewhere above me. (You can't beat the price, though!)
Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

View Mike Parsons's Gallery429
Club: www.electricdrones.com
Awards Showcase

5kW 
Friends: (25)

Very well done!

Proud Supporter of
Atlantahobby.com
ExtremeFlightrc
Old 01-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
max-nix
max-nix

View max-nix's Gallery1
Friends: (2)
Thumbs up My Experience With the Phoenix Sim

Phoenix Sim Comes With a Standard adapter for your JR RC transmitter,
or at extra cost: (varies from $2.98 to $17.77)
Futaba F9 (square pin)
Futaba/HiTec
Multiplex
Mini DIN (Esky,CoPilot, Ect)
Sanwa
Artec 100C

This should cover most of the TX in use by modelers today.

The Standard JR adapter works fine with my DX6, DX7 & Parkzone 5 AP that came with my Typhoon.

The Phoenix sim is extremely easy to configure in conjunction with the TXs I use. This was not the case with some other sims I used previously.

I prefer using the TX I fly with instead of the controllers supplied with some of the sims.

One category not covered, but important, is the technical help supplied by the sim technicians. In my experience Phoenix has been outstanding in providing quick & useful help when I needed it.

When choosing a sim do your homework (and get good grades).

I am only a satisfied customer with no connection to Phoenix in any other way.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:08 AM   #4
kalel

Wow, That is very impressive. I thought I did my homework before ordering phoenix 1 week ago. I will let everyone know what I think. BTW, I got phoenix for 136 instead of 160 in US dollars. Shipping was 10 dollars from a hobby shop in the UK.

Also, what about the expansion packs that are a separate charge from G4? Don't the rest of them just let you download the models and scenery as it becomes available?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Cybert99

MAX-NIX: My ParkZone radio is a 5 channel "ZX10". There is a small port on the left side that looks to be about the same size as miniplug. (Like a headphone jack on a small radio.) Is that what you have on your radio? And the JR adaptor for Phoenix works with that?

KALEL: There are apparently TONS of free G4 aircraft downloads available on the Knife Edge site. I think these are mostly -- or completely -- user-created. The expansion packs for RealFlight seem to generally include new features and some *professionally* made planes, helicopters and/or flying sites. (There has been some question about why people would want to purchase the expansions when so many models are available for free. But I suspect they sell well or Knife Edge wouldn't keep releasing new ones.)

Yes, please let me know how you like Phoenix. That one really intrigues me. The non-interactive demo was great (though not as good as the Reflex demo, in my opinion).
Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
DiveMasterPhil
Crash Diver

View DiveMasterPhil's Gallery6

Originally Posted by kalel View Post
Also, what about the expansion packs that are a separate charge from G4? Don't the rest of them just let you download the models and scenery as it becomes available?
You can download just about anything you want for free or create your own from Knifeedge webpage. My favorate is the C-130 and Trex 450SE V2.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...&productfilter=
Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

AS far as standing in one place on E Sky FMS if you go to the snowy mountain scene you are in one place .Trouble is its a mile from the runway LOL
Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
bgagnon

Thumbs up Do you recommand one as the best for Heli

Very helpful, Very on time.

Thanks,

Bruno
MX400 Pro. Will fly soon!!
Mark, Helisim is a life saver. Peoples download it here .
Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
bjeff

I recently bought Phoenix, and is running it in Windows XP SP2 on my 20" Intel iMac. Impressive. Mac users should be aware that itīs not possible to run it in Paralells or CrossOver, must boot from Windows. I love this sim!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:06 AM   #10
bgagnon

Thumbs up

Please peoples, Keep writing what you are using for a sim. The reasons you chose it, the up's and downs of it and also what do you fly with it and it's main use of it.

Thanks to all...

Bruno
Old 01-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
Kosh
Super Contributor

View Kosh's Gallery82
Club: NWEF.ORG
Send a message via Yahoo to Kosh
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 
Friends: (31)

Nice work on the tread and keep it rolling with info. As the new Mod for this forum I was going to gather some info for a sticky but this spell out most of it already.

Thanks, Kosh

Wattflyer, Where your friends are.

http://www.youtube.com/SeattleKosh
Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
pstrdenver

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Cybert99 View Post
MAX-NIX: My ParkZone radio is a 5 channel "ZX10". There is a small port on the left side that looks to be about the same size as miniplug. (Like a headphone jack on a small radio.) Is that what you have on your radio? And the JR adaptor for Phoenix works with that?

I too would like to hear the answer to this question, as I would like to use my Typhoon 2 Tx on FMS or any other sim. FMS first because its the one i can afford right now.

"You can have your dreams or you can have your comfort but you cannot have them both." ---Bruce Wilkinson

www.michianaccog.com
Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
max-nix
max-nix

View max-nix's Gallery1
Friends: (2)
Thumbs up Phoenix Sim Compatability

The Parkzone Typhoon Tx will work fine with the Phoenix sim & the JR cable that comes with it. It will also work with the DX6 & DX7.

Truth is treason in the empire of lies
Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 AM   #14
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

$200 at least for the Sim, another $200 (probably more) to upgrade your your computer to a point where you can run it, possibly more for the extra equipment to control it...

And this is less expensive than a few crashed planes how?

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 AM   #15
bgagnon

Hi FlyWheel,

I don’t know about you. But I was able to have a great free heli simulator that I have hooked up to my XF622 via usb port (12$ on ebay) which work on my 5 years old pc with an excellent frame rate. This setup has at least saved 2000$ in crashes learning to fly and probably will save me as much to practice 3d stuff. Investing 200$ to 400$ for a simulator IS worth every hard earn dime.

My 2 cents

Bruno
Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
rocojoe

were di you get G3
Old 05-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #17
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Lightbulb "But wait, there's more!" ?

A good addition to this thread (or your chart) I would think, would be some links to reputable sites where people could download models for the various simulators. Most of the manufacturers of these sims it seems are limited in choices on their own websites, and of course they are always lacking in that one model that you really want/need.

Even if their add-on "pack" does have the model you want, "Pack" means that it also comes with a bunch that you have no interest in, but have to pay for anyway. Worse, if you want two or three different planes it seems you usually need to buy a whole pack just to get each individual plane.

Being able to go to a site (or sites) and download only the planes you want, even if you do have to pay for them, would be nice. So if some wise pilots could post a few links to aftermarket sources it would probably be appreciated.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #18
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
AS far as standing in one place on E Sky FMS if you go to the snowy mountain scene you are in one place .Trouble is its a mile from the runway LOL
Yeah, I noticed a few scenes like that. They would make great sense if FMS would let you hand launch from that spot, seeing as it is on top of the slope and you can control wind speed and direction (at least in 8.5a).

Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #19
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

View gazzacov's Gallery18
Club: www.mgmec.net
Friends: (5)

I've been using reflex xtr, the later version with the slimstick dongle,and its by far and away the best i've used. (Tried G3,G4,fms etc. Havent seen pheonix yet, so can't judge that one) Couldnt get a lead to suit my Tx, so bought a JR one (figured i might have another use for the mono jack once i chopped it off!) Bought an s-video plug which does fit my Tx and soldered it on. Works a treat! It is quite memory intensive though, would reccomend at least 1gig and half decent graphics card to get it to run smoothly, but i guess that's because its new software designed to run on newer pc's. Loving this forum, by the way, learning a lot! Thanks guys!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #20
alt-148
Foam Flying Dutchman

Yesterday I stumbled upon "Leo's RC Simulator". It is just like FMS freeware, check it out on www.leobueno.net.
I only got to a short test flight and already it feels better than FMS.
You can import FMS as well as Aerofly models (moving CS, smoke, strobes!).

Unfortunately the manual is non existent and I have to practice my (nonexistent) Spanish.

Has anyone got more experience with this sim?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:55 AM   #21
Lisa22

where are all the large electric planes in these sims? also where are the f5b hotliners?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #22
pstrdenver

just ordered Phoenix today. Will let you know what I think and what I'm running it on when it gets here.

"You can have your dreams or you can have your comfort but you cannot have them both." ---Bruce Wilkinson

www.michianaccog.com
Old 10-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #23
pstrdenver

Posted my thoughts in a new thread under Phoenix Flight Sim

www.michianaccog.com
Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 AM   #24
huntjulien

yeah its okay... its free meaning great but honestly other then that its not worth your time... if your broke just use fms its better
Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #25
Music-AMG

Phoenix now shipping and supporting 115 models, all E-Flite models, and, Parkzone, fixed wing and heli's and ships with a FULL range Spektrum DX5e, (out of sight, 2 miles???) Tx. Under 200 USA dollars. (Got mine for $174.99 at LHS) I didn't really need the TX, but, I don't have a full range tx either, so, I am happy.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Flight Simulators