Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)
Default Park Zone Albatros D. VA PNP

The kids chipped in on the Albatros D. VA.......I'll be putting it together this weekend.

Hope to maiden Tuesday, 31st........to report back soon!

AMA 928214
Old 12-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
DavidR8

Friends: (1)

Sweet! I was looking at the SE 5A before Christmas...

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Nice looking plane!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 12-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1
Friends: (6)

I really like both of mine a lot !

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Two warbirds.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	172619  
Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Nice combo wattman.......The Stearman is still on my list.

Started on the assembly this morning (damn, the landing gear is pretty heavy, hope it's as strong as it looks) ran out of velcro and need a plug adaptor for the ESC......seems many PNP Parkzone planes that include an ESC, come with some type of EC3 plug....I prefer Deans and really don't want to take the ESC out this bugger.......so I'm hunting for a male EC3 to male Deans adapter. Think the LC has a couple that will work.

Hope to maiden Tuesday!

AMA 928214
Old 12-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

When using adapters I make my own.

It is better to change the plug on the ESC since each connection and solder joint in series is a slight power loss.
But I do understand the desire to avoid pulling the ESC. In some of the foamy ARFs that means taking half of the airplane apart.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

My flying bud has one and he changed the prop to a smaller one for slower flying on his. Not a windy day flyer but very cool looking in the air. joe
Old 01-01-2014, 02:23 AM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Well.....no maiden today. Work had me until 3:00pm. Managed to get everything together, bind and balance.....still not sure how C/G will work out using an 1800 mah 3s (as suggested stock).....tried a 2100 mah 3s, not much difference in weight distribution when either shoved max forward, but the 2100 leaves little room for wire displacment making it difficult closing the hatch...could mod I guess.

Now wondering if I should set my rates and expo down a knotch, like I did originally on the PZ Trojan...?......as all linkages are set stock per manual, and 100% rates seem to provide plenty of throw (maybe to much to quick).....just for kicks I'll try 70% to start out.....Any PZ Albatros guys got suggestions........Please chime in......Thanks.

If things stay sane tonight, I'll try a maiden tomorrow, otherwise, the weekend will have to do.......

AMA 928214
Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Took her up for a short ride this morning........no vid today since I was concentrating on the first flight:

Stayed home and flew from the front yard/field across the street.....nice living in a quiet rural area.....it was dead calm perfect conditions.

Left all throw/rate settings stock and at 100%.........there were some nervous moments with roll and loop rates, think I'll tone it down a bit until I get comfortable with her at the site I generally flight at. She does not glide like the Tiger Moth (since she is much heavier)....some power needed getting settled into landing approach and touch down, but not as much as I anticipated from all the reviews......still, lands slower than the T-28 and less runway needed....take offs are fairly short since she will lift pretty quick.

She peformed everything I threw at her well (no knife edges or inverts) but will need a little practice getting her to look scale through the meneuvers......likes rudder authority more than the Moth....maybe due to ailerons being top wing and shorter with smaller rudder surface level with leading edge of top wing as well.

C/G (stock 57mm) seemed fine for me with both 1800/2100mah shoved max forward....then again, I tend to prefer a little nose heavy (which she is)

Only two things that I find irritating.....the battery compartment is a pain with either the 1800 or 2100mah.....really need very short connection wires to fit nice and clean. Battery shoved max forward prohibits cover from snapping in. Must back off 1/4" to get everything laying flat.

She is a rattle trap during ROG/landing (I did not install tail wheel yet) all those loose landing gear parts could be fitted tighter (I'll probably mod later)...but in the air she's quiet...almost to quiet...maybe a wooden prop like some have mentioned would get a better prop tone....?.....not so much for performance.

Overall, she flies very nice, looks great in the air (like many have mentioned).....and is another nice addition to my hanger.....still gonna get me a Stearman, but very happy with this WWI icon!

AMA 928214
Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 AM   #10
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

Glad the maiden went well and you now know what a sweetheart of a flyer it is .
Yes its a bit of a pain at times getting the battery in easily , but it will become easier as the flights become many battery changes .
I recently have read at another forum about useing larger wood props on the Albatros and SE5a , and now I am a fan of the 12 x 6 wood props , it really improves flying the Albatros , for me , and others .
After you are used to flying it with the stock 10 x 8 , please consider trying a balanced 12 x 6 wood prop , and see the difference .
I am still so glad that Parkzone produced the SE5a and the Albatros biplanes , they are such great flyers out of the box , and just right for me .

Old 01-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #11
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

wattman....the wooden prop mod sounds good.....curious, are you running the stock motor, esc and a 1800mah 3s.....with the 12x6 prop...?

Since the battery compartment is so unfriendly, I thought running a bigger prop would need a little more battery pop, and having so little room now it concerns me....?

AMA 928214
Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

The postings at rcgroups for the PKZ Albatros is where the info is , and there are several posting their amp readings useing the bigger wood props , good info . AND , considering most people fly at less than FULL throttle , the amps being used are at a good amount for the esc , so no changes needed .
I am Running the 12 x 6 and the stock esc battery and everything .
I have not checked mine , I just changed the prop and flew , trusting their amp readings at rcgroups . enjoy the Albatros .
Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #13
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Thanks wattman.......seems there a few prop sizes (10x8 to 12x6) that seem to work with the stock esc and 1800mah to 2100mah 3s. I'll check out the LHS and see what they have (that I won't need to modify shaft fit)....so far, with the stock prop, I'm getting along pretty well. She does fly a bit different than what I have experienced with the Tiger Moth, Stearman and Ultimates I've flown......But I love it's predictability.

AMA 928214
Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

The wood props do require enlarging the opening for the shaft to either a 6mm or 8mm , one of these sizes , to fit .

Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
JDMJim

Friends: (0)

I put on a 12x6. I'm the one Road King referes to. This aircraft is way more stable and even got to remove all the down elevator trim required for level flight. I use the stock battery/motor/esc and it seems fine. I higher C battery might be best though. Bigger prop = better trim, better scale control and take off and landings are super smooth. It's the ONE thing all pilots should do with this plane.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 AM   #16
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

HH has marked the PKZ Albatros DVa down to $139 for a BNF , $119 for the PNP , maybe they are closing them out ? It will be a shame if they go away .
Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #17
azcat

Would be curious to find out how she flies, got a Dynam Albatros for Christmas but have not flown yet. The Albatros is certainly a beauty of a plane. Have considered a wood prop
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #18
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Your Dynam is a little larger and heavier plane than the PZ. It also has a different power supply which runs off a 4s lipo.......the PZ is stock 3s with a 480 960kv outrunner......so I'm sure the flight characteristics of each would be a little different, other than both being bi-wing aileron top mounted.

The PZ flies very well stock, I've played with the D/R & EXPO settings on my TX and have found this plane not to need much (for my skills at the moment)...I fly it now with everything set at 100%......she does need plenty of rudder authority for scale loops, banks, typical sport flying stuff............also have used both the stock prop and a Xoar 11x7 PJN Beechwood prop.....I prefer the wooden now because it gives the plane better throttle response and a little more punch through the throttle range....and sounds much better in the air...lol

I've had a few rough landings with her (mostly due to bumpy turf) and a few nose over's.....but she's well constructed and shows no signs of any structural weakness......she's a keeper in my book!

AMA 928214
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #19
azcat

Thanks for the info, thinking i will try a wood prop after the maiden flight, I gad heard that rudder was needed on these planes more than most
Old 01-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Club: AMA member since 2011
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (2)

I slipped on the ice after I took off from the parking lot. Fortunately I did not land on the ice. But in retrospect it might have been better. The damage to the plane was moderate. I had to order a prop and a new wheel. Everything else glues or straightens out.
I normally only fly my foamies in the wind (last week I flew my two NAZI Wings) too but I hadn't flown in days and well you know.
It actually did remarkably well. I used one of my 2200mah LiPos and couldn't get the battery door back on this time so I left it off. Inflight the cable came loose then disconnected. Apparently I did not get it snapped together properly. So the plane lost all power but as it was in level flight and headed into the wind it just glided down and soft landed in the parking lot. Talk about lucky. I wanted to practice flying into the wind to the point of near hover. But I slipped on the parking lot ice and misdirected the ailerons and over and down she went. I was able to right her and get her nose up just before she touched down.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #21
azcat

Thankfully she's ok! How sore are you after the slip though?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #22
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Club: AMA member since 2011
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by azcat View Post
Thankfully she's ok! How sore are you after the slip though?
Not bad. At least I didn't fall down. Although as I said I would have rather hit the ground myself and kept the plane in the air.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #23
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1

Sadly the Albatros plane is no longer at the HH site , the closeout prices worked .
Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #24
thosmosis

Originally Posted by wattman View Post
Sadly the Albatros plane is no longer at the HH site , the closeout prices worked .
Rats it was good deal. I got one, but when it went down to $139 for BNF.

Maybe they'll now closeout the SE5a?? And we can get cool sister planes for a deal!

I just finished some rigging on my Alby. Here are a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	173904  
Old 03-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #25
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I paid a few bucks more just prior to the "phasing out" period.......but I'm sure glad I grabbed one......great addition for anyone who's into WWI-WWII bi-planes....Horizon is great at keeping parts in stock!

AMA 928214

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era