Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)
Default plastic or wood prop ,either better than the other to use.

i have a sbach to outfit and will be using a power60 400kv i have sitting in the stock drawer. the prop can be 16 to 17" size and i plan on using a 16x6 apc on 6cells. a wood prop would look better.but for aerobatic and possible 3d flying might not be the right choice.

what are the benefits of using the wood prop over apc. thanks for any info on the subject. stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
i have a sbach to outfit and will be using a power60 400kv i have sitting in the stock drawer. the prop can be 16 to 17" size and i plan on using a 16x6 apc on 6cells. a wood prop would look better.but for aerobatic and possible 3d flying might not be the right choice.

what are the benefits of using the wood prop over apc. thanks for any info on the subject. stu
Nothing wrong with a wood prop I like wood better than plastic, I like the Zinger Wood props, with larger motors, Wood props work great, the prop does not know if its being turned with a gas engine or e power motor so feel free to use either on larger e power motors.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

I've read that wood props are less efficient and noisier, although MAS plastic prop are known to be a design that is less efficient that something like APC, so it is most likely the design rather than material. I can't see wood being made into a design like APC, as I would see such a design resulting in a weak prop. Wood is something I would pick for looks only, just like going for MAS simply because APC has the ugliest color for props IMO. If you need all out performance, plastic, or, better yet, carbon fiber, would be my choice.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Well....I've been around long enough to remember wood props being one of only, maybe, two choices.........

For me, it depends on the model.........on my Albatros D. Va I prefer the wood not only for aesthetics, but I love the sound and tamer/predictable scale performance.

Having tried a few Zinger, Troy Built Bambula and Master on everything I have except the old P51.........still can't beat a properly sized APC composit prop for the money, performance(most of the time) and durability.

AMA 928214
Old 09-14-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

It depends on which wood vs which plastic/composite prop. You will be very hard pressed to find a wood as efficient as an APC E series prop.

Master Airscrew black nylon props... make good paint stir sticks.

Some wood props are better than others. Xoar makes very good props. Zinger pretty good. They do both make E rated props. Thinner wood than for glow/gasoline. Hard to find the E rated Zingers.

Gas/Glow props have to be heavier to deal with the cyclic stresses of the engine compression vs power strokes. The engine slows during compression then speeds up during combustion. It is because of this cyclic stress causing metal fatigue that we don't use metal props on models.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:31 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
It depends on which wood vs which plastic/composite prop. You will be very hard pressed to find a wood as efficient as an APC E series prop.

Master Airscrew black nylon props... make good paint stir sticks.

Some wood props are better than others. Xoar makes very good props. Zinger pretty good. They do both make E rated props. Thinner wood than for glow/gasoline. Hard to find the E rated Zingers.

Gas/Glow props have to be heavier to deal with the cyclic stresses of the engine compression vs power strokes. The engine slows during compression then speeds up during combustion. It is because of this cyclic stress causing metal fatigue that we don't use metal props on models.
+1 on those APC-E props. I've got a lot of them, from 7-6 to 19X12's.

Only bad thing about them, is think of them as rotating razor blades. A wood prop can hurt you. An APC-E 19X12 Wide blade prop can amputate parts from your body.

APC has a LOT of data on their propellers. Take a look:
http://www.apcprop.com/v/downloads/P...B/datalist.asp

My Hacker A60-16M prop turns its 19X12 APC-E Wide blade prop at 6800 RPM on the ground. Here is the power specs of that prop at 1000 RPM to 12,000 RPM.
http://www.apcprop.com/v/downloads/P...R3_19x12WE.dat

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Yep.. I use an APC 12X6 glow prop as a knife at the field
Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

When I first read the title .... I was ready to annihilate nylon props and advise wood. Then read the post.

Wood are nice as they hold shape even under severe load. But they shatter if clipped.

Plastic - as long as they are of composite such as GFN .... Glass Filled Nylon ..... typically black but can be any colour as evident today. GFN is also the material used in the composite motor mounts for glow.

On size over 10" I like the Turning TG props, and in smaller - the APC style HK sell. But HK APC do break blades easy.

Final comment ..... most aerobatic guys over here use wood props.. electric and fuel.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

We seem to have glossed over the best reason to use a wood prop,,,,,,,
They Look Great!,
I hope that settles it,
bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2250.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	177384   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1988.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	177385  

Monkey Minion'air
Old 09-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

Wood props look great and work good too, but for high performance, speed, the APC props are the best for that, but for your average flying, Nothing wrong with a Wood prop.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Xoar PGN 'woodies' are my favourite props for aerobatics and 3D. Efficiency wise they are about on par with APC but they are much lighter. Only downside is as mentioned already, they are easy to break so not ideal if any your landing end in nose-overs.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
Porcia83

I like the look/size of wood on some planes. On my giant carbon z cub I went with wood, but painted it blue/silver. I have an older Quaker with a wood prop as well, love the look and sound. They are unforgiving though on prop strikes...
Old 09-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I do APC up to about 14x7 and wood above that. The reason is that the plastic (composite) props tend to get a bit too wobbly above that size. I have a 16x8 APC on my 58" Edge and you can clearly hear how the blades are getting deformed at high RPMs. Wood props the same size and above never suffer from that.

For the smaller stuff it's a different story, though. The APCs tend to be less draggy IMHO.

AMA #959089
Old 09-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I do APC up to about 14x7 and wood above that. The reason is that the plastic (composite) props tend to get a bit too wobbly above that size. I have a 16x8 APC on my 58" Edge and you can clearly hear how the blades are getting deformed at high RPMs. Wood props the same size and above never suffer from that.

For the smaller stuff it's a different story, though. The APCs tend to be less draggy IMHO.
I honestly believe that part of the problem is the advent of E flight ... causing lighter props and use of same / similar materials to the heavier Glow means flex.
On Glow - GFN - the composite props were stiff and held up well - but later I've noticed they have lost some of the stiffness. Influence of E I think. This has revived the use of wood props on the larger stuff.

One prop that I was sorry to see go - Taipan Props ... we used those exclusively in Pylon Racing and they were incredible. APC is the closest in design now ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 AM   #15
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

thanks for all the input my friends,
i just received the skyline sbach 342 thunderbolt from general hobbies and i am totally shocked at the beautiful covering job!!! the over all inspection of this bird is she will be light and fly great. i plane on beefing up the lg area. also going over all areas with ca just to be sure ,but from what i can tell it came defect free. there is no way i cover this nicely......clearly if you do it for a living it comes out great.

the sbach is 60"ws 3d and after reading everyones response i plan on using a beech wood 16x8 prop.xoar. not expensive and a brand name thats popular. open to other manufacturers but not hobby king. just don't want to wait long.

general hobbies shipped the order last week and it arrived 7 days later. i will post a few pictures later when i set up the photo folder in the new laptop. perhaps a assembly thread. servos should be here friday. no chance building this week so it begins this weekend

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #16
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

If you want the upmost performance, those expensive cf props would be the best bet. What motor and voltage are you using for that plane btw?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:12 AM   #17
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

this is the setup piper,
power60 400kv eflite[already in the parts drawer waiting for a home]with a 16x6 wood prop.
the batteries will be 2x3cell 4000mah 40c zippies in series for 6cell. i use these packs in the hog bipe,gp extra 300s, gp rv 4-40,and gp edge 540t.....these zippies are really used a lot and never puff after many cycles.

i'm using a castle ice 100amp esc with the bec left connected just because i own it and not using it... over kill for sure. i could disable the bec and use a castle ubec but not sure thats needed.[ubec is also sitting in the parts drawer.] i always time my flight so not to ever get near lvc on any planes ,also preserves the life of my packs.

the recommend esc is 60amp ,but i would have bought an 80 amp opto to be safe and used the castle ubec.

if after doing the bench test and seeing the need for more power ,i'll go 7 cells[4cell4000mah 40c with a 3cell4000mah40c],this is what i use in the gp extra 300s 62"ws kit i built. i will also say the apc 16"prop on the extra makes a fluttering sound on lift off full throttle but quiets down once flying.

note all up flying weight of the sbach should be 5.5lbs to 6 lbs for 3d flying.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:26 AM   #18
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

You don't find 16 too big of a prop? I'm using 14 most likely for my hurri. I may go up to 4s and down to a 13. Gotta be careful with the prop strike. Perhaps moving up to 7s and 15 would be better. Then again maybe clearance is fine. I'll see how the mas prop does. They are stiffer than APC I find, but perhaps it's because they are thicker and not designed to be cutting edge *pun intended* like the APC.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:36 AM   #19
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

spec on the sbach say 16 to 17" prop.

http://www.generalhobby.com/images/a...42-70-c-31.JPG

Old 09-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #20
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

how large is your hurri?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #21
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It's a 60 inch as well, build on RCG showed a 13x8x3 I think, with 900kv and 3s. Weight of the plane is about the same as yours, or mine will be at least, maybe closer to 5lbs. I don't want to deal with 3 blades so I went to 14x10. With 4s I might be able to stick on a 13x10. It's a 800w setup on 4s. Going on the high side at 6lbs, that's 133w/lb. 560w on 3s, which would be under 100w/lb with same high weight. I just don't know whether I should go to 4s, and keep the same prop, or smaller prop. There are no prop specs on the motor, so I'm going by what works on the wattmeter.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #22
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

3D aerobatic models always run large props because they need good low down thrust. Most of mine come in with a prop size around 0.28 x wingspan, give or take.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #23
gerrynj
NJ

Friends: (0)
Default wood - plastic

In the old days of 2-strokes, I was told that wood was a "safer" prop in that it would break if it struck an object (like a hand/finger/arm etc) - and true they do seem to break easier when you they strike the ground on a "rough" landing.

BUT - I can tell you first hand that they do not break when they hit a thumb - I was accidentally struck with a wood prop on a "25" 2-stroke. It sliced through my thumb, broke the bones and almost severed the digit. The prop was intact and the engine kept running........

So - now I'm really skeptical on wood props - I use APC props on all my electrics

gerry
Old 12-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #24
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The Extra 58" I recently bought was fitted with a Maro 14x7 Pro wood prop ... very nice balanced prop. In use it was nicely quiet as well. No signs of any work to balance. It's just a shame it was fitted a crap engine... well actually a good engine, but just not man enough for the job.

I swapped for a TGS 13x6 GFN compo prop ... gave same speed / thrust but louder. I also used the JXF 14x8 on other gear - my 15cc Gasoline job used the JXF ... a GFN compo prop ... I liked it a lot, stiff - no deformation at full whack. Heavy so the flywheel effect on a wet-fuel engine was there.

I have to admit though - all above are 'Glow' props not E. I have 14x6 ... 13x6 ... 12x6 ... various in E form and wood - but they feel flimsy .. weak compared to what I am used to in those sizes from wet-fuel. My big Cessna used them - and they were fine .. compo or wood. Didn't seem to make much difference, but then again a Cessna is a Cessna !!

The biggest difference I see in props now (leaving out the SF versions) - is the noise when in use. My TU144 with the 5.5x5.5 thrust props howl like a banshee ... but swap out to a TGS or APC standard and she quietens down. Just one example. Big props with often their slower rpm are less marked in this but still noticeable.

I didn't think it possible to hear the 'blade slap' that you get with a heli when you violently change direction or pitch .. on a fixed wing prop job - but yes you can !! My pal with his big Sbach and 22" props ... when he slaps that baby around - occasionally you can hear that prop protest !! And he runs very high quality contest grade wood jobs.

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying