Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)
Default Drooped ailerons

What's your opinion of drooped ailerons for helping with tip stall problem?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Right idea wrong direction. You want to slightly raise the ailerons. This will simulate washout and it can work well. I use it on small Alfa warbird models with great results. Not much is needed or desired.

Dropping the ailerons actually moves the center of stall more toward the tip, bad. You actually want the stall to occur toward the wing center, thus many wings are designed with some washout to help cause this.

What plane we working on here? It matters as on super aerobatic models may not be totally benefitted by using washout.

Mike
Old 11-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
simibill
General Factotum

Awards Showcase

It's a 800mm T-28. Sort of squirrely at low speed.

but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Drooping ailerons will accelerate the stall in 99% of cases. There's the rare case where the taper of the control surface makes it actually work for what you want. but your airplane isn't one of those.

try 1 to 2 turns on the clevises pushing both ailerons up instead. it doesn't take much change in aileron to make a large difference in how the plane responds in a stall.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
simibill
General Factotum

Awards Showcase

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:15 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Drooping ailerons will accelerate the stall in 99% of cases. There's the rare case where the taper of the control surface makes it actually work for what you want. but your airplane isn't one of those.

try 1 to 2 turns on the clevises pushing both ailerons up instead. it doesn't take much change in aileron to make a large difference in how the plane responds in a stall.
Interesting:

Back in the mid 1960's, I scratch built a 60 inch wingspan model of my own design with an Enya 60 engine. The model flew like crap. One of my club members flew it, and told me the ailerons are drooping. He was right. Correcting that issue, and the model really flew well.

So, now days we have the ability to program in spoilerons on our models, and I've not really been impressed with them. Seems to me the model gets squirrely at low speeds.

Would this be the same thing???

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-16-2014, 02:31 AM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Results vary a lot with wing planform and aileron shape. Also with the airfoil used.

There is a general flying neutral position which will work well for any airplane.

You can be off an amount that is difficult to see without measuring and have adverse effect on the aircraft. Too far up or down.

Most aircraft can tolerate the ailerons being up slightly much better than drooped.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

If it has full length 'strip' ailerons then setting then 'up' is unlikely to help much, if at all, with alleviating tip stall. It will however increase the stall speed slightly which is only counterproductive. If the model has ailerons which are only on the outer part of the wing angling them up should help much more.

A more effective fix might be to see if you can twist in some washout by twisting the wing and carefully applying some heat.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
If it has full length 'strip' ailerons then setting then 'up' is unlikely to help much, if at all, with alleviating tip stall. It will however increase the stall speed slightly which is only counterproductive.
+1. Thus my ask on model type.

And flapperons work great on most strip ailerons but not on barn door or outer like the t-28 uses. Again all about moving the center of stall on the wing. The closer stall is to root the better (in most cases).

Mike
Old 11-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Are you sure its a tip stall and not just flying too slow for the elevator to function? Does the wing have any washout in it now? Have you tried moving the cg back?

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 11-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
simibill
General Factotum

Awards Showcase

Dunno Larry. Not tried moving CG.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

You may just be trying to fly too slow

Id start by checking the wing for washout/washin using some story sticks or an incidence meter if you have one. Add washin if needed, then re-fly.

Then I would move the CG back in small steps to see if that helps.

Larry
Old 11-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post

Id start by checking the wing for washout/washin using some story sticks or an incidence meter if you have one. Add washin if needed, then re-fly.

??

Onto the subject of strip ailerons and whether a degree or so UP helps ... that really depends on the wing shape ...

If the wing is a straight no-taper wing - then I agree ... all you do is effectively reduce wings net angle of attack overall. But if the wing is tapered - then the change of net AoA as you move outboard increases.

Take a look at the end of wing and then draw a line through centre ... LE to TE. Now deflect aileron up ... the SHORTER chord at tip gives a greater change to the chord line than the longer wider root chord.

Its not just a matter of strip or not ... the wing form has much to do with it as well.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
fhhuber
Super Contributor

If he's having issues with instability in a stall... moving CG back may be a very bad idea.

CG too far back can make the plane act badly in a stall.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
If he's having issues with instability in a stall... moving CG back may be a very bad idea.

CG too far back can make the plane act badly in a stall.
Totally agree ... unless model has been setup seriously too far forward CoG and then its a mushy wallowing mess ...

Instability in stall ... if its at onset of stall - then that usually indicates a poor geometry of model ... where a lot of trim has been applied for normal flight, which then loses authority as stall approaches ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #16
fhhuber
Super Contributor

We had a beginner many years ago... GP .40 size Cessna 182 as trainer. The thing was an awful beast about snapping into a spin at stall.

I had the guy turn the aileron clevices ONE TURN pushing both ailerons up. Complete cure.

You couldn't see that the ailerons had been moved.

Sometimes its just a tiny setup error...

Ever since then... for planes with dual aileron servos I set up "flaperon" mode at some small % (3% to 7%) and as part of the test flight I do stall tests, adjusting the ailerons to check for BEST position. Then I lock it in and turn off the mix.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:22 AM   #17
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post

Sorry for the sloppy typing. As noted - that should have read washOUT.

Although it is possible that you will find one wing has too much washout already and needs to go the other way. So I might have been correct all along

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
It's a 800mm T-28. Sort of squirrely at low speed.
My advice was based on this comment. Sounds like he hasnt actually stalled the model. Its just "squirrely" at slow speeds.

That may or may not have anything to do with stall behavior and may or may not have anything to do with wing twist or aileron droop.

All of us are guessing based on very little data. In the absence of first hand knowledge and seeing how it flys, my guess is its not actually a stalling problem. YMMV as usual

Most models have a recommended CG that is too far forward - especially war birds - and many people start out with the cg even more forward "just to be safe". Add in that it is a war bird that probably doesnt like to be flown too slowly.

This could easily be a combination of things. Investigate first with the story sticks and go from there

Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions