Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
NFA Fabrication

Friends: (1)
Default Official Spektrum DX8 Thread!!!

I am new to flying, and after looking for a good forum for planes, this has become my favorite. I am learning on the E-Flight Apprentice, and am currently installing a Spektrum DX8 into it with telemetry. I have poked around here looking for an official thread for this radio, and have only found threads fishing for reviews of the radio.

I want this more to be an question/answer type thread where people can get share/get advice for this radio. I have been flying with the basic DX5E radio, and it works great, but I was looking for something that i could grow with a little more. I am waiting till this weekend to fly with it, but all of my ground checks have been good, and can't wait to be flying with telemetry!

To get the ball rolling, I have a question. I am programming my first plane, and under the aileron settings, It has the settings for 1 servo ailerons ("Normal"), or individual servo ailerons ("Dual Ailerons"). With the individual ailerons, it has you plug the second aileron servo into the "Gear" channel. I would prefer not to take up that channel. My plane was originally designed with two aileron servos, but they are plugged into a Y harness from the factory. Am I losing any programability by setting up the controller as only having 1 aileron servo, and using the Y harness in the aileron channel alone?

The best current known deal going for the DX8 with AR8000 receiver and TM1000 telemetry unit is $364.95 at Ultimate hobbies!!!

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/store...000+%2B+TM1000

Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Yes you lose capability if you do that. You want to use separate channels (this is why you got a 8ch system right! ) so you can still accomplish all you need. With ailerons on two channels you can easily do flaperons for example.

So expand your thinking a bit - and figure out it really does not matter where stuff is plugged into the receiver! The Hitec Aurora 9 takes it a step further and simply asks where you have plugged stuff in and it manages all that for you.

So if you have retracts or something on the gear switch you can move that function to another channel. Simple as that.

Many flyers wonder what they would ever do with 8 channels - well when you split up functions that is what starts taking channels.

I have had planes with:
  • Dual elevator servos (2ch)
  • Dual Aileron servos (2ch)
  • Rudder (1ch)
  • Steerable nose gear (1ch)
  • Throttle (1ch)
  • Flaps (1ch)
There is 8 channels in use with mixing for a single plane. Not that hard to imagine using all those channels.

Now they have announced the DX18. That may be harder to find a use for all the channels but you can get close. Lets pick a scale Jet:
  • Dual elevator 2
  • Dual Aileron 2
  • Throttle 1
  • Kill motor 1
  • Rudder 1
  • Nose gear 1
  • Retracts 1
  • Brakes 1
  • Flaps 1
  • Spoilers 1
  • Drag chute 1
  • Scale canopy open 1
  • Lights 1
  • Bomb drop 1
OK maybe I can't get to 18.

Anyway sorry for the pontification - Mike
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

OK - first question : Do you need to adjust / act on each separate servo ? If both servos are Y cabled and provide aileron action you need - as I understand you had before - is that OK ?

So you have a 8ch radio .... I have also but on a 4ch plane - I tend to keep things simple and Y cable - so things work properly without playing merry-g-round with daft menus etc.

Yes - unfortunately I reckon near all RC radios menus are set-up by a little chinese lady who convinced someone that she had a full grasp of English language .....

OK .... unless you want to start playing with each servo and setting it up ... adding flaperons ( on an Apprentice ? forget it - waste of time !! ) .... use the Y cable ... while enjoying flying the Apprentice ... a good way to learn a radio is to get some cheap servos .. a second clone Rx ... and then use them to trial set-ups on a bench board. On my radio - I have one memory set-aside for this ... using old servos that are suspect ... That way - I get a real way to check out programming without committing to a model !

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Yes you lose capability if you do that. You want to use separate channels (this is why you got a 8ch system right! ) so you can still accomplish all you need. With ailerons on two channels you can easily do flaperons for example.

So expand your thinking a bit - and figure out it really does not matter where stuff is plugged into the receiver! The Hitec Aurora 9 takes it a step further and simply asks where you have plugged stuff in and it manages all that for you.

So if you have retracts or something on the gear switch you can move that function to another channel. Simple as that.

Many flyers wonder what they would ever do with 8 channels - well when you split up functions that is what starts taking channels.

I have had planes with:
  • Dual elevator servos (2ch)
  • Dual Aileron servos (2ch)
  • Rudder (1ch)
  • Steerable nose gear (1ch)
  • Throttle (1ch)
  • Flaps (1ch)
There is 8 channels in use with mixing for a single plane. Not that hard to imagine using all those channels.

Now they have announced the DX18. That may be harder to find a use for all the channels but you can get close. Lets pick a scale Jet:
  • Dual elevator 2
  • Dual Aileron 2
  • Throttle 1
  • Kill motor 1
  • Rudder 1
  • Nose gear 1
  • Retracts 1
  • Brakes 1
  • Flaps 1
  • Spoilers 1
  • Drag chute 1
  • Scale canopy open 1
  • Lights 1
  • Bomb drop 1
OK maybe I can't get to 18.

Anyway sorry for the pontification - Mike
Yeah, those channels can get eaten up pretty fast! I have been reading a little on the "Flaperons", and like the idea. I am new to flying, but am constantly reading/learning. I don't have a use for all 8ch yet, so I could at least run the ailerons in 2 channels for and program the radio for flaperons for now (I like the idea of playing with as many options the radio has mostly just because I like to tinker). The apprentice can fly so slow anyway, as the poster below you said, not really needed, but fun to play with options!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
NFA Fabrication

In the January/February issue of R/C Sport Flyer, there was a review on the DX8. On the test plane used, he had 2 AR8000 receivers fitted. I have a few questions.

1.) Why the need for two, if the DX8 can only operate 8 channels?
2.) Assuming that there is a good use for this set-up (And I am sure there is, otherwise it probably would not have been set-up in this plane this way), How is it done?

I have used my Aux 1 output as my L. Aileron output to allow "Flaperons". So I guess I can see the possibility of getting that channel back with another receiver. Also, can any other Spektrum receiver be used in this manner, or do they have to be matching receivers?

Also, has anyone heard of any Spektrum GPS telemetry sensor availability, or possible future availability?

Old 02-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
SigMan

Club: "CLUB SAITO"
Send a message via AIM to SigMan
Friends: (0)
Default radio

the DX7s and DX8 are basiclly the same radio right ? just another channel

Watt Bro #1
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by SigMan View Post
At a glance, all I see is that, 30 model memory (DX7 is 20), and the DX8 has 3 stage dual rate switches. There are probably some other small changes as well.

I have added air speed, and altimeter sensors to my plane today, everything seems to work on the bench, hoping for better weather tomorrow to go and test it all out!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
NFA Fabrication

Got a chance to fly today, it was windy and muddy out there, not currently raining though. Managed the flight OK, and had to come in to land on the hot side of the wind, so I came in with more speed than I wanted, and the muddy field finally grabbed the front wheel and flipped it just before coming to a stop. The telemetry all worked great!

One issue I am having, is that I can't for the life of me figure out how to set the flight pack voltage warnings for the plane, that would be an amazing feature to have work, but simply can't find the setting for it in the controller, or in the manual! Having that "time to land" warning would be awesome! Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
bbrowncods

Club: Chesapeake Flyers
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
In the January/February issue of R/C Sport Flyer, there was a review on the DX8. On the test plane used, he had 2 AR8000 receivers fitted. I have a few questions.

1.) Why the need for two, if the DX8 can only operate 8 channels?
2.) Assuming that there is a good use for this set-up (And I am sure there is, otherwise it probably would not have been set-up in this plane this way), How is it done?

I have used my Aux 1 output as my L. Aileron output to allow "Flaperons". So I guess I can see the possibility of getting that channel back with another receiver. Also, can any other Spektrum receiver be used in this manner, or do they have to be matching receivers?

Also, has anyone heard of any Spektrum GPS telemetry sensor availability, or possible future availability?
The dual receivers just offer redundancy. That is what you want for a $$$$ plane. Transmitter still has 8 channels, so that is all you get. I have not done the wiring for this so I can't comment on that.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by bbrowncods View Post
The dual receivers just offer redundancy. That is what you want for a $$$$ plane. Transmitter still has 8 channels, so that is all you get. I have not done the wiring for this so I can't comment on that.
Ahhh. They come with the "Remote Receiver" stock, I had just never seen it done with two full-size receivers. I also figured out where the warnings are set. On the telemetry screen where you decide which parameters are displayed, you click on them with the roller, and the alert settings for that parameter are shown.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I'm being lazy here as I'm sure the manual will tell me if I download it... But does the DX8 have programmable throttle curves (or exponential available on the throttle channel) when in fixed wing mode? This is a feature I always though would be useful in order to get a more linear power delivery from electric models, but on the DX7 for some strange reason you can only program throttle curves when in Heli mode.

Steve
Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'm being lazy here as I'm sure the manual will tell me if I download it... But does the DX8 have programmable throttle curves (or exponential available on the throttle channel) when in fixed wing mode? This is a feature I always though would be useful in order to get a more linear power delivery from electric models, but on the DX7 for some strange reason you can only program throttle curves when in Heli mode.

Steve
Yes, there is a separate screen just for that. Click the roller once to get into the menu, scroll down to "Throttle Curve". There are several points you can move to make your desired curve!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

Yes, there is a separate screen just for that. Click the roller once to get into the menu, scroll down to "Throttle Curve". There are several points you can move to make your desired curve!
brilliant!.. i may have to start saving.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
brilliant!.. i may have to start saving.
I really can not believe how many options this radio has, I could not be happier with the purchase. It was just a little overwhelming at first because I have never had a "Real" radio. Tons of fun to play with though and the menus are really easy for even a beginner to navigate through as long as you understand what the settings actually are (I am new to flying, so I am also learning a lot of the terminology at the same time).
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Club: Austin Radio Control Association
Post DX8 Programming Sheet

I had seen several different programming sheets for Spektrum but wanted one for the DX8 so here it is

Many thanks to NIOA from Arizona who had made several programming sheets including the DX6 and I used that sheet for a starting point in constructing one for the DX8 transmitter.

I hope you find it useful...

Happy Flying!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf DX8 Programming Sheet.pdf (12.3 KB, 1130 views) DX8 Aircraft Programming Sheet

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by Merritt View Post
I had seen several different programming sheets for Spektrum but wanted one for the DX8 so here it is

Many thanks to NIOA from Arizona who had made several programming sheets including the DX6 and I used that sheet for a starting point in constructing one for the DX8 transmitter.

I hope you find it useful...please let me know what can be improved.

Happy Flying!
Nice contribution to the thread! One aspect of this controller that I underestimated at the time of purchase that was an option over the DX7S, was the addition of three stage programmable D/R's. I like to be able to have a fairly low rate option for calm day landings (Especially on the Ailerons/Elevator).
Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Club: Austin Radio Control Association

Originally Posted by SigMan View Post
SigMan, the DX7 is a nice radio but the DX8 outclasses it.
Among other things such as plane and heli programming from online sources and internet updating of the firmware, the 8 has both 22ms and 11 ms frame rates as well as 2048 vs. 1024 resolution.

Just not a not a contest.

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #18
squidger

Friends: (3)

I just bought a DX8 and am upgrading from my DX7. The 8 does so much more than the 7 and feels smoother too with the dual bearing gymbals. Battery life isn't too good though so am going to upgrade to a 4000 mah lipo.Have searched the battery settings and it doesnt list lipo in the settings but I think it knows from the voltage of the battery that a nimh is fitted. I'm hoping once I plug a lipo in it will give me the option to select lipo and change low voltage warning accordingly.Love the vibration warnings and glad Spektrum have got the neckstrap attachment point right this time. The DX7 needs an adapter to make the radio hang at the right angle and the adapter gets in the way of the on/off switch.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #19
NFA Fabrication

I just poked into my DX8 menu because I was curious about the battery setting, I am assuming you are correct on the Auto detect battery function. I want the lipo too. I was tempted to buy another brand battery to get something a little cheaper, but it has to have the balancer built in if you intend to use the internal charger (Which I want to continue using for it's ease of use). I really haven't had any complaints in the battery department yet though, but I have not been out for any lengthy adventures yet.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
squidger

Dont know how it balances as even the official Spektrum battery has a two wire plug fitted to it and in order to balance it would need three wires.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
Dont know how it balances as even the official Spektrum battery has a two wire plug fitted to it and in order to balance it would need three wires.
The Spektrum battery has the balancer built in to the battery.

"The 4000 2S LiPo offers not only double the flight time as the stock DX8 battery but also advanced safety and features. It also includes a built in safety current that shuts the battery off, to avoid overcharging and damaging the battery and radio. Plus a built in balancing system to make sure you get the longest life and power from your pack."

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...D=SPMB4000LPTX
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
squidger

Thank you.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #23
Mainuh
No parachute needed

Club: Propsnappers

Hey guys, I can't remember where I saw it and tried a couple searches in the forum but haven't found it. Someone posted a site which had the DX8 for $365. Can someone send that link again? Thanks. Want to order one ASAP.

Ok... finally found it. Ultimatehobbies.com Order completed! Sold my week old DX7s to a buddy and decided to go with the DX8. Hard to beat for only $65 difference!

Cheers,

Don
Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #24
NFA Fabrication

I thought that the MAP (Minimum advertised price) was set at $429 by spektrum, but apparently not. I wonder if Ultimate hobbies gets around this by only having the price show after being "Added to cart". Wish I had seen that before I purchased mine!

$364.95!

I am adding this to the first post, and will keep it there, unless an even better deal comes up!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
Mainuh
No parachute needed

Club: Propsnappers

I thought that the MAP (Minimum advertised price) was set at $429 by spektrum, but apparently not. I wonder if Ultimate hobbies gets around this by only having the price show after being "Added to cart". Wish I had seen that before I purchased mine!

$364.95!

I am adding this to the first post, and will keep it there, unless an even better deal comes up!
Isn't almost always the way: You find a much better deal after you buy something. I actually have been following this and a couple other DX8 threads. Bought a DX7s a couple weeks ago and just sold it to a buddy so I could get the DX8. DX7s was fine, but the backlit screen was appealing to me as I plan to fly often at dusk and dawn. I had ordered the backliight kit from hobby king and will give it to the guy purchasing my DX7s, but I wasn't wild about cracking open the case and voiding the warranty on a brand new unit. He said he'll put the backlight kit in after the waranty expires.

Paid for 3 day fedex on the DX8 so hoping to have it by Saturday and try it out, although we're supposed to be getting 6-8" tonight and more on the weekend... Nice welcome to spring after a record low snowfall this winter.

Cheers,

Don

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros