Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Friends: (0)
Default Understanding PIDS in Quads

For two years I have wrestled with Multiwii and Arduino based quads.

When you get it right it's great but when the PIDS need tweaking it's bubble bubble, double trouble.

Can anyone explain to an old Newbie how to get smooth flight out of PIDS ?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Panther

Friends: (1)

I am waiting for the answer as well.
I think I sorted my quad out tonight ready to try tomorrow.
It got the wobbles and crashed each time I took off.
I have reduced the P gains dramatically and I gain quite a lot and it seems very steady now.
I am learning fast. It depends on the size of your quad a lot. Each one is different so you really need an experienced person to help. I have to do it on my own but I learn fast. I am using the KK2.1 FC board on a 550 Hobby King Quad. I found a good way to check the flight reactions 'on the bench' and then changed PIDs but it is quite dangerous and I wouldn't recommend it.
I have a friend with Arduino and KK2 boards and he mainly flies the KK2 as the Arduino is too much hassle.
Why don't you, for the sake of $30 try a KK2.1 FC Board. Maybe your struggles may end. At least you can change your settings without a computer in just a couple of minutes.
Yes, I am an old newbie too.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
tarheal63

Send a message via AIM to tarheal63 Send a message via Yahoo to tarheal63
Friends: (3)
Default Understanding PIDS in Quads

Have you checked the new controller from headsup hobby? I forget the name if it, but I beleive it works just like a naza. Almost the same software also. I am very pleased with my naza lite as I have a very stable av platform now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HZ SuperCub. PZ Spit(Older), Dynam EZ Hawk, GWS A-10(prop), HL F9F Panther, GWS ME-109, E-Flite P-47D, Jodel BeBe 9, HL Wicked Wabbit P-47, BL Slow Stick, PZ T-28, Electrifly SE-5A, HL Mig-15, PZ Stinson, Quad and Tricopters
AMA #973528
Old 03-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Panther

I see in your other thread you are happy with your Walkera Pete so my response is probably irrelevant now.
Cheers

PS Headsup Hobby don't ship to Australia tarheal63.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

Go NAZA.....problem solved!

AMA 928214
Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #6
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Default PID's and flight controllers.

I don't disagree with those who love the NAZA but after enjoying so much flying with Whitespy, KK2.1 and Bambucopter it is a little hard to put it at the top of the list. I have never needed to make any adjustment to the settings of a Whitespy or a Bambucopter except when the model was very tiny.

And it is in those cases that I love the KK2.1. (this week offered for $15.00) It is such a pleasure to stay at the field and dial in small adjustments without needing USB patches and laptop. You make the adjustment, re-launch and you know if it's getting better or worse. That ease of operation encourages you to do things one step at a time.

I know a lot of people say only ever adjust the P but these things are in a loop and it usually ends up with smaller variations (in the same direction) of the I and D.

But I still would like to see a handbook where the symptoms are shown in relation to the correction made.

I have never taken the P over 4 and most times I get satisfaction around 2.8.

People tell me that vibration is the big issue but while I do balance the props I have never yet added a balance weight to a motor. My fleet now includes 15 flying Quads with six different flight controllers. You are allowed to tell me I am mad but you should know I have a certificate. I got it at birth.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I wouldn't say "your'e mad" Pete......I'd say your'e informed, like to tinker and have the patience of a saint....

After having myself spent endless hours dailing in various gyro, stabilization sensitive controller units on variuos sizes of CCP heli's for a few years, and with the advent of all the "newer" more techo advanced stabilization (return to home) units related to quad and other multi rotor craft.......I finally just decided to keep things as simple as possible and spend more time actually flying....rather than hours dialing settings in after every flight and spending more $$$ trying out systems that require external firmware updates and frequent monitoring.... Thus, my taste for the "little" more expensive, but solid and predictable NAZA equipment....... I only own two quads and have no intentions of flying FPV/UAV.........but I appreciate the ability and freedom of being able to if the day ever comes without needing to add more equipment and software to my existing systems.

I'm not familar with the Whitespy or Bambu, but have buddies with the KK2.1......it's good stuff if you keep it up-dated after modifying ones equipment........I jumped on NAZA mainly because I know many who use it and it's logic seems to work for my way of translating things.....I'm not really in a position to rate it #1 or #10.....it just works great and has been an easy confiquration transistion for me......and I spend less time "tinker" with the settings and more time enjoying my flights..........and the fact that I finally converted over to the Spektrum TX/RX stuff which is seemless with NAZA.

AMA 928214
Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Default A very doubtful Saint

But it's a fine compliment. My gospel is fun. Anyone who is having fun will be happy with their lot and I will be happy for them. The Whitespy range is very interesting. There is a $15 board called the flip and for straight out fun with quads or tri's it is very hard to beat for value. I think I have five of them and have friends with them and have never had any quibbles in conventional size machines. For Multi wii users with access to a GUI they are easy to fine tune in micro size models. They are good in that format as the board is only 32mm sq. Whitespy is found via Ready to go quads. Paul Baxter who runs it has a good range and part of my home sickness relates to a Hot new board with a deluxe GPS on it, which was in my mail box as I drove out. His site has a lot of set up information and with some experience you will be able to work your way through any of his projects. The Flip is absolutely plug and play if that's what you want. You do need to nominate what configuration (plus or times or tri) and you can save a dollar or two if you are happy to solder on the pins which he supplies. One tip with the flip. Take a picture of the underside of the board and file it on the desktop. I guess you know why I suggest that.

Today I learned the secret of the RTH which waits for failsafe. It is so easy. Turn the transmitter OFF !!! Not for this old bloke but I am sure it works.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #9
Birdmanpete
Birdmanpete

Default A word of caution about GPS Failsafe modes.

Some manufacturers do advise against switching the transmitter off during GPS operations. Check your manual, if of course it is readable.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #10
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey

I don't really like flying the Naza-M Lite I've got... it's relegated to AP duties on my 550 and it doesn't have enough options for me.

I've been flying an Armattan CF 355 with a Naze Acro board and it's a BLAST, but a bit more complicated to set up. Fastest autolevel I've ever seen though, and the Horizon mode (aerobatic with autolevel) is amazingly good. It'll even come out of a suicide.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Birdmanpete View Post
But it's a fine compliment. My gospel is fun. Anyone who is having fun will be happy with their lot and I will be happy for them. The Whitespy range is very interesting. There is a $15 board called the flip and for straight out fun with quads or tri's it is very hard to beat for value. I think I have five of them and have friends with them and have never had any quibbles in conventional size machines. For Multi wii users with access to a GUI they are easy to fine tune in micro size models. They are good in that format as the board is only 32mm sq. Whitespy is found via Ready to go quads. Paul Baxter who runs it has a good range and part of my home sickness relates to a Hot new board with a deluxe GPS on it, which was in my mail box as I drove out. His site has a lot of set up information and with some experience you will be able to work your way through any of his projects. The Flip is absolutely plug and play if that's what you want. You do need to nominate what configuration (plus or times or tri) and you can save a dollar or two if you are happy to solder on the pins which he supplies. One tip with the flip. Take a picture of the underside of the board and file it on the desktop. I guess you know why I suggest that.

Today I learned the secret of the RTH which waits for failsafe. It is so easy. Turn the transmitter OFF !!! Not for this old bloke but I am sure it works.
I just took a look at the Ready To Go Quads web site......the RTF Flip looks pretty interesting......decent price, Spektrum ready, a good selection of system functions, quality electronics, the right size for my current flying and fits my current pilot abilities....may just save up for that one. Seems their product support is pretty good as well.....that's a real positive!

AMA 928214
Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
I just took a look at the Ready To Go Quads web site......the RTF Flip looks pretty interesting......decent price, Spektrum ready, a good selection of system functions, quality electronics, the right size for my current flying and fits my current pilot abilities....may just save up for that one. Seems their product support is pretty good as well.....that's a real positive!
You might consider an Armattan as well. I bought a used one and was impressed, so I ordered another direct from the manufacturer... it's a one-man business operation, and he builds each one. I was surprised when I received a message from him with a Youtube link to a personalized video of him test flying my new quad and describing the details of it.

His quads (and tricopters) are getting popular so I don't know how long he'll be able to keep up that level of service, but for right now they're awesome.

http://www.armattanquads.com/store

He sells the frames alone, DIY kits with all the parts for you to build it yourself, or RxR (receiver ready). My carbon fiber 355mm quad was $270 with the Naze Afro Acro board (which I mentioned earlier) plus shipping.

He has several different models and from what I've heard they're all excellent... but I'd highly recommend carbon fiber. One customer's 258mm quad crashed in a road and was run over by 6 cars... and the frame just had some scratches on it (everything else was destroyed, obviously).

I'm not affiliated at all with Armattan, but I'm VERY impressed with the level of quality and service. I'm planning on ordering at least two more from him.

ETA: I've never ordered from Witespy (I think that's who you were talking about?) but he's also a one-man operation I believe and lately I've heard he's swamped, so orders are taking a long time to go out. Not sure how true it is, but it's kept me from ordering though I need some stuff.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors

Tags
arduino , multiwii , pids , quads