Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
oldnrinkled

Friends: (0)
Default motor and esc alternatives

I see hundreds of electric cars and trucks for sale, sometimes almost a give away on Craigs list. It got me thinking ( why are we not using these cheaper give aways for aircraft use ). I dont know much of todays motors and esc's, is there a reason why they cant be used in aircraft ?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Car ESCs typically are heavier due to the large heat sink needed. Also they are often limited to 2S LiPo
You do have to ensure yo disable the reverse function if the ESC has it... Airplanes generally don't do well if you turn the prop backward.

The motors can work fine for aircraft especially if you want a high rpm.

There are still a lot of brushed motors used n RC cars. At least one of the official racing classes specifies a brushed motor.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Some of them probably 'could' be used if you were determined, but the cheap ones you refer to will invariably be low quality brushed motors and old tech NiCd batteries which are far heavier and have less performance than the brushless motors and LiPos we almost exclusively use in RC planes these days.

Car ESC's are also generally not very well suited to RC planes because cars have reverse, which is a big problem if engaged in flight!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
sidybee

Friends: (0)

hahaha i can see it now,,,,,flying straight and true at around thirty miles an hr the hit reverse hahahahahaha air brakes .....somebody try this and post a vid i got to see this.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Actually people have done close to the same thing with the adjustable pitch systems for indoor 3D. They hover NOSE DOWN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlVL-uvHnyc
Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

I have used a car esc in my edf (haven't flown it though) it's rated up to 4s. Most escs for cars over 60 amps are 4s. Reverse wouldn't be good, but it would be neat to use on a large plane, if you could activate with a switch. On landings, hit reverse and it would slow you pretty quickly. As for fans, they can be removed usually. As they have a plastic box around them, they'll still weigh more, but not much.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems