Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
propnut48

Club: Took me 45 yrs but finally joined the AMA
Send a message via Skype™ to propnut48
Friends: (2)
Unhappy No more park flying in Rancho Cucamonga

I have lived directly across from a great little park for 14 yrs just below the 210 frwy. All of a sudden we are not allowed to fly there anymore after doing so for the 14 yrs. That was the biggest reason I moved to the house I did. Some one complained about us and found that it is illegal to fly there and every other park in Rancho. I glad the needs of the 1 out weigh the needs and freedoms of the many. As of late there have been alot of quads flying there and I'm sure that is what sparked this. I may hang up my transmitter and go into my second love of watches. I can't afford to travel to El Mirage or Rabbit dry lakes. I may be selling off a bunch of planes and kits. No other fields close to me that I would risk some of my more delicate planes. This may be my last post on here.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Sorry to hear about it. Sounds like an actual case where the quads (probably someone's irresponsible use of one) and people's fear of them ruined it.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

Club: AMA
Friends: (0)

I'm just waiting for same same thing to happen over at the park where I fly.
I usually have my 9' glider out there and people are amazed but as soon as they start seeing the drones they will shut it down
Old 02-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
propnut48

I think thats what happened here too. Had NO issues till the QUADS. Its been only 6 months and now its a "NO FLY ZONE".
Old 02-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

The mention of being near Interstate/State Route 210 here in So. Cal brings up an interesting point........

A little history.....:

SR/I 210 within San Bernardino County is under the Caltrans District 8 jurisdiction. When the right-of-way for the construction and maintenance of this fairly new link between San Bernardino and Pasadena was being negotiated/obtained, three public airfields were effected by it's alignment. During the Caltrans discovery (due-diligence) and environmental impact permit stages of it's development, flight patterns and landing routes (zones) were considered.....(details way to involved).

Once Caltrans bought the project and closed the deal, two law suits by a couple of neighboring cities, who maintained the airfields, were filed. In the arguments of one of the law suits, there was mention of recreational RC aircraft being a "cash' generator for the facility (old Norton airbase), which is no more than a couple of miles away from the 210 and 10 interchange.

Long story short, language was implemented in the final "out-of court" settlement that provided for "guidelines" and enforcement, established by Caltrans, for the use of such craft within a specific "no fly zone" related to the 210 right-of way.........so, it comes as no surprise to me if the 210 (Caltrans) oversight authorities, may have had some bearing (input) on the "vacant' (park) field's owner to be forced to prohibit the use RC aircraft at that location....due to some complaint filed at City Hall or Caltrans.

More than likely, if one is able to contact the property owner (could be the City) of the vacant field, and the owner is willing to discuss the issue, it has become a public "liability" issue the owner cares not to deal with (or cares to deal with Caltrans and City Hall)........

Note:

I sat as a consultant on one of the neighboring cities Public Works service boards when the law suit issue was being tossed around. We were requested to give our input related to the impact it would (or could) have on this cities border (jurisdiction) adjacent to the Norton airfield.

Assuming the problem stems from "quads" is a little short sighted......the issue is probably a bit bigger than that.......the property may be for sale or has been re-zoned in order to sell.........during that process, several factors come into play in order to allow specific types of development......"no fly zones" included....especially within City owned public parks..........

AMA 928214
Old 02-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
propnut48

Probably so. Kenyon park is fairly small and in the middle of lots of houses. The open land next to the park is going to have 31 new construction houses built on it so even if it was ok it would be WAY too small to fly in except for the micros. I also fly control line and have not been able to fly there because of the gas engine noise. There is an open field about 2 miles east on the 210 just past the 15 that is big enough to fly my sailplanes. Just have to be careful of the power lines at the fer end. It just seems strange the we had absolute no issues till the Quads arrived. Some are HUGE, as in about 2.5-3 ft in dia. 6 and 8 rotor and are VERY load. All are FPV and can fly all the way to the freeway to the north and Victoria to the south and over the H/S.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:34 AM   #7
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

As another flyer in the Rebublik of Kalifornia where this kind of thing is sadly prevalent. I wonder how long it is going to take to spread. I can already picture the sign changes at local parks to include a small airplane with the red circle and slash throught it.
Unfortunately in California no one is resposnible for their own actions anymore so we must create laws to protect people from themselves. If I don't understand something it must be stoped and I will lobby till it is stopped.
Next item on the list to be banned. Dihydrogen oxide! Very dangerous...

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,235 Times in 2,138 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (322)

here is a rc flying club that flies in San Bernardino at the old Norton AFB, that should be close to you.

Place ID: 4119 | Report this Place

Flying Field

Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club (San Bernardino, California, United States)

View Calendar | Visit Website | Get Weather | Get Directions | Nearby Classifieds | Nearby Users | Nearby Places

The Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club (PVMAC) is an AMA Gold Leader Club that operates as a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement and enjoyment of R/C model airplane flying. The club is composed of approximately 460 members and currently enjoys two flying fields. The club has a field in Prado Park in Chino, California, and a second field at the old Norton AFB in San Bernardino, California. The Prado field is approximately '800’ x 50’ with enough asphalt pit area to support 30 canopies. The Norton field is 490' x 50' and can support about 15 members in the pit areas at a time. Both fields are operated under the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) guideline

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

the Pomona or San Bernardino flying sites look to be about the same distance away about 25 miles

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Good to see ya got the PC up and running Chellie.........and using a little GIS too...!

The field and club you've referrenced (Norton/PVMAC), used to be one I belonged to about 5 years ago......flew at Pardo as well.......there were a great bunch of guys there (lots of big boys out there). Still fly there as a guest occasionally, but since I moved up into the hills where there is an abundance of very low density open space (and no structures) me and my bud's don't "stand in line" anymore.

It's quiet at Norton during the weekday mornings, need to contact PVMAC to see what there schedule is to get in, it's a gated and security patroled facility. Weekends can get very busy from 7:00am to about 2:00pm then the wind picks up.....and you will stand in line to launch. They frown on Heli's and Multi-Rotor (there is a small group of them) , but they usually reserve the field on week days or late afternoon weekends.

They adhere "strickly" to AMA guidelines and there is always a field marshall present. Need to be a current (in good standing) AMA member, and it helps to know a club member or sign up for a mentor your first couple of visits (regardless of ones pilot experience).......after that, they won't give you a hard time (poke fun) at the parkflyers you may bring..........although, if it's anything like a PZ T-28, Albatros D.VA, or equal, you'll find more open arms......

AMA 928214
Old 02-13-2015, 12:39 AM   #11
propnut48

I may just have to just plan a weekend and go to the desert(s). I have no problem going camping for the weekend. Gets me away from the city and the BS. I have a bigger 5th wheel so I can pack more planes into it.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:51 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by propnut48 View Post
I may just have to just plan a weekend and go to the desert(s). I have no problem going camping for the weekend. Gets me away from the city and the BS. I have a bigger 5th wheel so I can pack more planes into it.
Let me know when you head up this way, I Live in Hesperia in the High Desert, the Victor Valley High Desert Flying Aces, Fly from a empty lot on the S/W corner of Bear Valley Rd and Central st. we are a Renegade club, no AMA needed LOL the wind starts to pick up after noon, so its best to get up here early, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I Just had a great Idea Sell your house and move up to the High Desert, away from the BS LOL, Lots of room up here to fly any where you want to

Old 02-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Good to see ya got the PC up and running Chellie.........and using a little GIS too...!

The field and club you've referrenced (Norton/PVMAC), used to be one I belonged to about 5 years ago......flew at Pardo as well.......there were a great bunch of guys there (lots of big boys out there). Still fly there as a guest occasionally, but since I moved up into the hills where there is an abundance of very low density open space (and no structures) me and my bud's don't "stand in line" anymore.

It's quiet at Norton during the weekday mornings, need to contact PVMAC to see what there schedule is to get in, it's a gated and security patroled facility. Weekends can get very busy from 7:00am to about 2:00pm then the wind picks up.....and you will stand in line to launch. They frown on Heli's and Multi-Rotor (there is a small group of them) , but they usually reserve the field on week days or late afternoon weekends.

They adhere "strickly" to AMA guidelines and there is always a field marshall present. Need to be a current (in good standing) AMA member, and it helps to know a club member or sign up for a mentor your first couple of visits (regardless of ones pilot experience).......after that, they won't give you a hard time (poke fun) at the parkflyers you may bring..........although, if it's anything like a PZ T-28, Albatros D.VA, or equal, you'll find more open arms......

Yep, Finally got the Computer up and going again, and I have a back Up Computer too now, I need my Support Groups like Wattflyers to help me from going Completely Crazy I am a little Crazy, but thats a good thing in this Crazy Mixed up World Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 02-13-2015, 05:29 AM   #14
propnut48

I'm all for that. Alot of my friends already live up there and have lots of land and huge homes for the same as what mine is worth. If it wasn't for having to drive to long Beach 1-2 times a month at 3 am, I would. I work the Pomona and long Beach hotrod swapmeet . I already drive 200 round trip as it is. There are some times I take planes and never fly just because I have peace and quiet. If it's clear, I'll get my telescope out at check out the stars. So cool!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:33 PM   #15
propnut48

Just went to the Rancho Cucamonga city website and went through the whole park rules and there is NO MENTION of a NO-FLY RULE anywhere on it.
here is the basic city rules for all the parks.

http://www.cityofrc.us/cityhall/cs/parks/rules.asp
Old 02-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #16
propnut48

The regulation and section number 12.04.010 is for full scale planes at Riverside airport NOT at the Rancho Cucamonga parks.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears not all their rules are on the website:

"A copy of the full Park Reservation Policy is available for review at the Community Services Department Administrative Office or at any of the Community Centers."
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #18
propnut48

Iv'e spent the last 4 hrs trying to find ANY ordinance that prohibits model aircraft flying and to no avail. Some one near the park has a grudge against our hobby and is trying to bully us and it AIN'T gonna work anymore. The sign is a plastic sign that looks hand made not official. I am going to call the city directly and get to the bottom of this. I have as much a right to the park as anyone. This is a free country. It may be some of the people that have been parking on the street illegally and Iv'e called the police on or someone that I told that they couldn't park on our street when there is a soccer game going on and I can park my car anywhere. Any help from the flying public would be great.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #19
propnut48

been through the whole site and can not find anything to the affect of no model aircraft flying anywhere
Old 02-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #20
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I feel for ya. I was just pointing out their little catch-all thing that I don't like as it leaves things too conveniently vague.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 AM   #21
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Iv'e spent the last 4 hrs trying to find ANY ordinance that prohibits model aircraft flying and to no avail.
That is a great start - but remember if you don't own the land - you still may need permission to use it. Even so called "public" parks may (and legally can) have restrictions on use. Golf is a common one. Sadly, more and more so is RC.

Some one near the park has a grudge against our hobby and is trying to bully us and it AIN'T gonna work anymore. The sign is a plastic sign that looks hand made not official.
Yep - and sadly one of them can make you lose a site. It's a bummer. We have a site, on land we lease (for RC flying use) yet we have one neighbor who does not care for us much and million dollar homes now surround the site. I expect our days our numbered.

I am going to call the city directly and get to the bottom of this. I have as much a right to the park as anyone.
Calling the city is a great idea and see what they say. Again even public parks have restrictions. You can't just show up and do whatever you want. For another example our parks just recently banned airsoft and paintball. I sure can understand that. But I bet the airsoft kids are none too pleased.

This is a free country.
Yep with tons and tons of laws and rules.

Any help from the flying public would be great.
Agree - so one thing our AMA club does is we make ourselves valuable to the city where our site is. We volunteer, we run events and some city events, we host kids for flying and training. One of those is our Santa Cops fly in where we dontate money and toys to kids at Christmast. Guess what the Police know us, not just as the club that gets noise complaints but as the joint that helps kids. The city knows us too.

We have an advantage now - instead of just a liability.

Not bad eh?

Mike
Old 02-24-2015, 02:34 AM   #22
propnut48

Ok so I found where It says no model airplane flying on the municipal codes. We can only fly rubber band propelled aircraft.
Go to section "m".
https://www.municode.com/library/ca/...S12.04.010PARE
Old 02-24-2015, 03:14 AM   #23
propnut48

Took my son-in-law, the Las Vegas cop, to find it. Oh, well I guess I'll have to join the Norton club. I've been flying at a small road off of Citrus in Fontana but that will go away too when the overpass is finished over the 15 frwy. I need a place to swing my u-controls around at though. No place in Fontana.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 AM   #24
jcstalls

Friends: (0)

Ah, but dogs and soccer are Ok. Wonder how many injuries, crime and death from dogs and soccer compared to model airplanes,
Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #25
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

What you have discovered, propnut48, are very typical municipal code restrictions within higher density residential, light commercial property zones in So. Cal...........it really stems from public liability issues and not always your typical complaint filed at City Hall by an RC hater.

Most cities here have a "temporary permit" process that can be used for special events related to recreational hobbies......but, again it must be applied to locations that the City has previously deemed adequate for such.

The fact that you have previously occupied, the park in question, with RC craft, without problems or alert, says more to being "lucky" rather than singled out.......after all, like stated by other's previously, it is a "public" facility that is owned and operated by a "government" agency....funded by your tax dollars (or those living within that tax base region)....Which contributes even more to the "public" liability demands and protection for "all", not just a few who happen to live near by.

I'm sure the City has had issues in the past, even within those large sports complexes like the club soccer fields.......it's some times easier to get permission, from a "private" facility owner, to fly RC........I have been down this road a few times out in Redlands and San Bernardino. Both School Districts out here allow RC on the weekends a specific locations. But it is best to be registered with them and a current AMA member. (There's always a few who are not)........but those of us who are, self police and keep the District's interests in mind at all times. The Districts appreciate that.....thus allowing are continued use of "their" facilities.........

AMA 928214

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers

Tags
park flying in rancho