Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
Brewerpaul

Friends: (0)
Default New Hawk Sky question

My new Hawk Sky arrived on Monday and I finally got to take a look at it today. I could see right from the get-go that the manual would not be much help when it told me to "spread the epoxy glue averagely..." to install the rudder and horoz. stab. Interesting grammar, and there's no way this epoxy which is a two part glue that I use all the time. So far I have a few questions right away with many more to come, no doubt.
The prop is just a press on friction fit to the shaft. Once I get the hang of flying the Hawk I may want to change the prop as many people have suggested. Are there other press on props or will I need some sort of adapter?
I ordered a spare battery,same Dynam battery as the original except that instead of the nice beefy double banana connector it has pieces of shrink tubing on the end of the leads. Can I get those same connectors as the original to match the ESC leads, or should I change them all to something else?
The aileron servo leads are pretty long, and they plug into some fairly large connectors. It looks like all of this stuff will prevent the wings from seating properly against each other-- how do I handle this?
I can't see or feel the ESC, which I assume is glued to the roof of the electronics compartment. Is this something I should try to change for easier access later on?
I can already see that I'll have to cut away some of the foam under the tail control surface servo arms to keep the ends of the Z-bends from dragging. The guide tubes for the push rods are just flapping in the breeze--clear tape them down?
Like I said, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I proceed. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
eagle33

Club: Dallas Electric Aircraft Flyers (DEAF)
Friends: (1)

For your information, there is a Hawk Sky thread on this Forum that is 40 pages long. Also there is a Hawk Sky thread in the rcgroups.com Forum that is 35 pages long. You might want to look through these two threads in answer to your questions. Also there is lots of good other good information and tips if you are a Hawk Sky flyer.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Brewerpaul

Thanks-- I knew about the thread here and have looked at it, and I'll look at the rcgroups one too. However, 75pages is a LOT of stuff to sift through to find the answer to one or two questions. I was hoping to find a quick answer to get me started on my Hawk Sky. In a pinch, I'll figure it all out.
Has anyone here tried enlarging the hole in the wing pocket of the fuselage where the aileron wires come up to make it easier to stuff excess wire down there?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
eagle33

I understand you would like a quick answer so you might repost your questions on rcgroups and the wattflyer threads.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
Brewerpaul

New question-- I have the plane essentially built except for tape reinforcements and decals. In the course of hooking up the motor to make sure it ran in the right direction, the prop hub cracked, making a loose fit.
I have a spare "press on" prop, but I can't seem to press it on. I don't want to bend the shaft. Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
eagle33

I replaced a prop a while back. I used my wife's hair dryer to heat it so it would expand a little and I was able to get it on. However, it wasn't easy. I think I held the shaft near the hub with a pair of needle nose pliers to get it started. I think I got this idea from one of the longer threads I mentioned in my post #2, above. You might try a search.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
Brewerpaul

Originally Posted by eagle33 View Post
I replaced a prop a while back. I used my wife's hair dryer to heat it so it would expand a little and I was able to get it on. However, it wasn't easy. I think I held the shaft near the hub with a pair of needle nose pliers to get it started. I think I got this idea from one of the longer threads I mentioned in my post #2, above. You might try a search.
Heat sounded like a good idea so I heated the prop in my hottest tap water. No go. I heated it in boiling water straight from the microwave- no go. These props must not be a thermoplastic. I took a drill bit slightly smaller than the prop hole and reamed the hole by rocking the drill. With that plus boiling water, I managed to force the motor shaft about 3/4 of the way through the prop hub. It feels tight as all getout, so as soon as I can get outside in daylight I'll try running it up to speed.
I ordered some of these which should make life a lot easier when I want to change props:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingzer-Alumin...m+prop+adapter

I laid a bunch of fiber packing tape on the fuselage tonight, clear packing on all leading edges, so I'm basically ready to maiden, assuming the prop hold on.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

Originally Posted by eagle33 View Post
For your information, there is a Hawk Sky thread on this Forum that is 40 pages long. Also there is a Hawk Sky thread in the rcgroups.com Forum that is 35 pages long. You might want to look through these two threads in answer to your questions. Also there is lots of good other good information and tips if you are a Hawk Sky flyer.

The reason this is good advice is that, when you post your question there the people who will answer are people who have your plane and will know it inside and out.

We are happy to help but I know nothing about this plane so any advice I might offer would be a guess. But in a 35 page long Hawk Sky thread EVERYONE knows your plane and has probably had to address the questions you are asking.

That is how I do it. I look for the BIG thread on the subject that interests me. I do a couple of searches in the thread using the search feature. If I can't find what I want, I ask. People are very happy to help.

Just a tip on the best way to use this forum.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-08-2014, 01:59 AM   #9
Brewerpaul

Thanks! I bookmarked that big Hawk Sky thread and by now have read much of it. Now I've asked a question or two, and just have to check the last page for replies.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
Brewerpaul

Press on prop update, if anyone's curious. After a crash I had to repair the motor pylon which involved taking the motor out of it's mount. During this same crash, the prop flew off the shaft. While the motor was out of it's mount and I had access to the whole shaft, I pressed the prop on as well as I could with my fingers, then pressed it the rest of the way with a large C-clamp. It went on easy as pie, and that bad boy ain't comin' off again!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners