Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)
Default Blade 450x

So far I am really enjoying the 450x. I had to trim the tail a bit with the transmitter to get it from pirouetting, so I'll manually adjust to get it straight. The main shaft seems to be off center, but I flew anyway. This resulted in stripping the main gear. Also it seems as though a servo is stripped as well, and the heli did not crash. Guess the servos aren't too good. Are there any hk servos that would work better?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
So far I am really enjoying the 450x. I had to trim the tail a bit with the transmitter to get it from pirouetting, so I'll manually adjust to get it straight. The main shaft seems to be off center, but I flew anyway. This resulted in stripping the main gear. Also it seems as though a servo is stripped as well, and the heli did not crash. Guess the servos aren't too good. Are there any hk servos that would work better?
Sounds like a newbie awareness learning curve.......

It really does not matter what manufacture you purchase from, every model really needs to be gone over mechanically, "with a fine tooth comb" before any type of airborne activity commences.

Main shaft, main gear, servo, linkage issues can be identified almost immediately with a thorough powerd-up bench test first...there are a dozen safe ways to perform this with nothing more than average shop equipment.

Blade's are generally equiped with E-Flite electronic equipment, ie., servos, RX, gyro, ect....... and most of the hardware is semi-exclusive.....a very good thing is that parts are pretty available for almost all Blade heli and multi-rotor craft........E-flite has been around a very long time, most of the aftermarket stuff is really no better than E-Flite., unless one ventures into the higher end CNC rotor/tail heads, Hitech servos and very expensive gyro's...based on experience.

AMA 928214
Old 07-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Oh I knew the shaft wasn't straight. I just didn't want to leave it on the ground because of it...I should have though. I checked all parts prior to take it out for first flight. As for the servo, it was fine when spooling it up. In flight it was find too, it wasn't until after landing after second flight (when gear gave up) that I heard the servo. So it wouldn't be better getting some metal gear servos from hk or something?

The orange module is working fine. No crashes whatsoever, took it up, did a couple flights back and forth and took it down.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)
Build Review

I've never used HK or any "off" brand equipment that was not OEM or otherwise considered (proven) better than OEM on any of my 450's......As far as MG over nylon, ibme that unless you really need the torgue aspect of metal gears, nylon are far more forgiving on the connecting linkage gear, less expensive to replace and reliable enough to learn with........just stay with digital (especially for the tail rotor). Servo's are like eveything else in this hobby, you get what you pay for.....thus, stick with an industry proven name brand and stay with the stock size and configuration.....otherwise, your'e likey just to increase frustration and replacement.....especially due to the "knocks" your 450 is experiencing.....

AMA 928214
Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Fair enough, just got a bad servo it seems. At least they don't cost you an arm and a leg. Even the gear and shaft isn't too costly. I'm really liking this heli though, stable, predictable. Was not even scared to fly it, just felt in control the whole time, unlike the mcpx BL. Having not crashed it at all speaks for itself. Once I get better ill move to the mcpx BL to try inverted, and then go back to the 450.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Sounds like a newbie awareness learning curve.......

It really does not matter what manufacture you purchase from, every model really needs to be gone over mechanically, "with a fine tooth comb" before any type of airborne activity commences.

Main shaft, main gear, servo, linkage issues can be identified almost immediately with a thorough powerd-up bench test first...there are a dozen safe ways to perform this with nothing more than average shop equipment.

Blade's are generally equiped with E-Flite electronic equipment, ie., servos, RX, gyro, ect....... and most of the hardware is semi-exclusive.....a very good thing is that parts are pretty available for almost all Blade heli and multi-rotor craft........E-flite has been around a very long time, most of the aftermarket stuff is really no better than E-Flite., unless one ventures into the higher end CNC rotor/tail heads, Hitech servos and very expensive gyro's...based on experience.
Not sure if they changed the servo mounts on the Blade 450x but on the Blade 400 the HXT900's fit fine after some filing.

Any equivalent HXT900 servo's would work. A word of caution some of the other off brand servos don't have very good centering which is actually pretty important for an RC heli. The HXT's have always proven to be pretty good in this respect I'm not exactly sure what people consider the equivalent metal servo to the legendary HXT900 but if the dimensions are similar I would go with that.

The Blade 400 had pretty crap DS75 servos that were eflite branded and the HXT900 out perform them in static holding force, amount torque available, and also centering so yeah they are cheaper but it doesn't mean they are inferior.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk