Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)
Default Too big of tail blades

So I fixed up the 450x, installing new tail blades that are a tad larger. I set everything up perfectly and idled up at 60% throttle, checking centering of tail. Then I gave it some throttle to make it light on its skids, everything seemed fine, when suddenly a grip blew apart, and the whole rear housing. All it seems to need it a new housing and grips, everything is okay, belt is fine. What would cause this though? I made sure belt was a good tension, it had a bit too much slack so I moved the boom out a tad. Could the tail blades be too large, and when I have it rudder it put too much stress on the housing.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

"Could the tail blades be too large, and when I have it rudder it put too much stress on the housing"

Yep.....as a general rule with collective pitch, never cheat on the tail rotor blade or tail pitch assembly. The housing assembly (as a unit) is designed for a specific size blade, hub, holder and control ball linkage.......going with bigger blades not only stresses the tail rotor holder, bearings and collars, but also requires the belt tension to be perfectly set....to tight you get an explosion....to loose you get stripping and vast amounts of vibration. All of which have an impact on the gyro's ability to compensate and keep up with the main rotor head speed...!

AMA 928214
Old 08-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #3
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Thanks, they were quite a bit larger, the belt would have slipped, but I adjusted it so it took a bit more force to move the belt on itself. Guess the issue was just too large of blades. At least the damage isn't too bad. Think I have a spare housing already that was shipped to me accidentally. I gather the only way to use them is use a aluminum housing, aluminum grips, etc.

By using larger I gather it has more authority and stress trying to keep up with the main rotor.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

I converted every 450 I owned to CNC main rotor and complete tail rotor assemblies....ABS/plastic may be cheaper, but the wear and tear over time (and mishaps) CNC is 1000 times better.

If you intend to convert, be advised mixing and matching CNC with ABS is a no-no......go all the way or don't go at all....for the Blade 450 you have, it will be hard to find complete assemblies, almost every vendor, that even carries parts for that Blade, sells the parts individually and it gets quite pricey....

Here's a couple of links to give you an idea what your'e up against:

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/category-s/932.htm

http://www.rakonheli.com/e-flite-upg...blade-450-3d-x

http://www.helihobby.com/helicopter-...-450x.html?p=3

http://www.wowhobbies.com/e-flite-bl...-3d-parts.aspx

http://www.helidirect.com/blade-heli...8_236_1858.hdx

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...380A#t4-HOPUPS

In most cases, the Blade 450x and Blade 450 3D tail assemblies are identical........I'd even look into the Trex 450 Sport assemblies and compare....there may be a tail boom size difference, but the belt width and tail blade rotor compatibility may very well be the same size....and Trex (Align) parts are everywhere and very good quality.

AMA 928214
Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #5
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

In my case would I be better off sticking with stock parts now. I am also having an issue with the canopy it seems, as with the spectrum mg servos, the servo horn rubs against the canopy. I definitely need a wider canopy, even if on a few mm wider, or without the sides that taper inwards.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Why larger tail blades?

With the plastic grips you do need to be careful, but usually the stock blades work fine so no point changing.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #7
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Well the combo I bought came with tail blades, stock ones were a bit damaged, so I installed them. Should have realized the potential risks. I have a spare tail case, all the is needed is grips...and stock blades. Still don't know what to about canopy, not sure who makes canopies that are larger overall, would be nice having it fit over battery better too.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm confused. If they came with the original Blade 'combo' package then they should be the correct blades for the heli... no?
Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It was a canopy, blade, fin combo, so my 450x is now sporting red fins...and a canopy that is now carved up to allow the servo movement.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Ahh.. ok i understand now. Good luck with your future flights, sounds like it's about time your luck changed!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk