Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
View Poll Results: Which version is your favorite?
F-16 6 54.55%
T-38 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Bald Paul

View Bald Paul's Gallery8
Club: Western Carolina RC
Friends: (4)
Default Mini Kobra project

Next CAD project - a 36" wingspan, electric power version of the Sig Kobra.

I'm still looking over the plans (Thank you, tobydogs, for the plan set!) and making mental notes of how things will fit at 80% of the original size, how to re-design the fuselage top, etc.

One of the things I have to decide on is which configuration to build - the F-16 tail, or the T-38 tail?

Like my Tigercub project (39.5" span electric version of the Tiger 2), I'll be sharing CAD files and plans in case anyone wants to build one of their own. But, I'm only going to design the pieces for one configuration, so please, vote for your favorite!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F16.jpg (22.3 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg T38.jpg (17.9 KB, 261 views)
Old 02-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (2)

F-16 for looks...

T-38 for better rudder effectiveness.

I also like to carve sort of Horner style drooped wingtips.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
F-16 for looks...

T-38 for better rudder effectiveness.
You're not helping.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (2)

The vast majority of Kobra, Kougar, King Kobra models built in the 1970's and 1980's used the T-38 tail. It was very rare to see the F-16 style.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:59 AM   #5
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)

A 36" version would be amazing. I built a Kobra back in the 80's and only flew it once before someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I built and own the original prototype of the Mountain Models idea of what an updated, laser cut version of the Kobra should be. I still have a NIB Kobra kit. A "park sized" version would be a must have. Gotta have one. Watching the thread with eager anticipation.......

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 02-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

View Stevephoon's Gallery70
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (8)

I'm partial to the F-16 look as well.... Who needs a rudder anyway. Just bank and yank!

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 02-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

I like the T-38 better. For my taste the F-16 one looks like it's trying too hard to 'play jets'. It doesn't really suit a plane with a prop on the front to my eye, but each to their own.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I prefer the F-16 look and would just spend the 10 minutes to cut my own if you went with the T-38. Not a big deal. I've got plenty of wood.

Joe

Old 02-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #9
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I prefer the F-16 look and would just spend the 10 minutes to cut my own if you went with the T-38. Not a big deal. I've got plenty of wood.

Joe
Well, it really isn't much work in CAD to design both versions. I would just do a "F16 cut file" and a "T38 cut file" to have the short kits laser cut.

This one may take awhile. I'm convincing myself to design this one in 3D, vs. the 2D CAD I've been using. So, there's going to be some time teaching myself a whole new set of commands to mess up.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #10
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Heck, I can't draw 1D or even stick people for that matter.

Joe

Old 02-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #11
Bald Paul

Default Initial thoughts

I had the original plans copied and shrunk to 80% of original size. This gives me approximately a 36" wingspan, and a fuselage of 28" (not counting the spinner or rudder).

Definitely enough room inside for servos, radio, battery compartment, etc. I have a new canopy that looks very close to the resized plans. The turtledeck (plastic on the original) may have to be re-shaped a bit to fit the canopy, but the overall looks of the plane won't really be affected.

Still a lot of design notes to make, including deciding on a power package, before the actual CAD work begins. But, it looks promising!
Old 02-27-2016, 12:52 AM   #12
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

At this size you'll probably end up with AUW of what, 20-24 oz. at most? Plan for 200+ watts. We can always throttle back.

I love the Mountain Models Firestorm iteration of the Kobra but please stay true to the original design on this one. It's just GOTTA have trike gear!

Joe

Old 02-27-2016, 01:03 AM   #13
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (24)

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Well, it really isn't much work in CAD to design both versions. I would just do a "F16 cut file" and a "T38 cut file" to have the short kits laser cut.

This one may take awhile. I'm convincing myself to design this one in 3D, vs. the 2D CAD I've been using. So, there's going to be some time teaching myself a whole new set of commands to mess up.

Your retired you have all the time to learn a new set of commands.

I went with the T38 tail for what it's worth. Looking forward to watching your progress on this one. I have the Kougar in electric love the trike landing gear. You have flown off of that club field it is why I am partial to the landing gear. Tough to nose over.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:22 AM   #14
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
At this size you'll probably end up with AUW of what, 20-24 oz. at most? Plan for 200+ watts. We can always throttle back.

I love the Mountain Models Firestorm iteration of the Kobra but please stay true to the original design on this one. It's just GOTTA have trike gear!

Joe
Originally Posted by gramps2361 View Post
Your retired you have all the time to learn a new set of commands.

I went with the T38 tail for what it's worth. Looking forward to watching your progress on this one. I have the Kougar in electric love the trike landing gear. You have flown off of that club field it is why I am partial to the landing gear. Tough to nose over.
After flying the Tigercub with the trike gear, I'm convinced it's the only way to go for small planes on grass.
That BMJR Spacewalker I built was great, but no matter how smoothly I touched down with it, the gear would always get sucked into the turf and over it would go.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:30 AM   #15
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (22)

trike gear looks great, i am using a 10x7 e apc prop and a 35-48-1100 kv turnigy sk series motor with 80 amp esc. the batteries i use in it is the same in the tower hobbies uproar. 2 4cell 2200mah 20c batteries run parallel. vertical lift in the uproar with a 12x6 prop.

the trike gear always had me mowing the grass on takeoff...lol,when i would put it back on the table after a flight,grass was stuck all over the kobra. it's one reason i never really flew the kobra much. this is also why i love building but have to many hanger queens hanging around.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #16
Bald Paul

Default A slight delay - and the demise of the Tigercub

There may be a slight postponement of the design of the Mini Kobra. The Tigercub prototype met an untimely end this morning. I'd like to blame some radio glitch, or a mechanical issue, or a lightning strike but this one gets chalked up to pure pilot error.

Making a low, inverted pass over the field. Went to pull up, and just plain forgot that when inverted, DOWN = UP. Whoops. Wing bolts did their job - the wing is fine. Fuselage is gone back to the wing dowel bulkhead. The battery hatch cover popped off, so that survived. Luckily, I have all my CAD files (we can rebuild it, we have the technology!) and it doesn't appear that the motor or any of the electronics suffered any damage other than a broken prop.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #17
Bald Paul

Since I have to rebuild the Tigercub fuselage, I made a few improvements in the battery hatch access which required a redesign of the hatch cover, fuselage sides, and fuselage doublers, and an additional hatch doubler/retainer. I guess it's Tigercub V2.

Anyway, when laying out the cut sheets for the laser cutter, it was evident that a lot of wood would be wasted. Soooooo, I did another re-design. Quick one in 2D CAD, with constant chord wing, reduced in size and converted to electric, based on the RCM Advanced Trainer plan (attached).

Don't worry, the Mini Kobra is still in the works, but after my 'dumb thumbs' incident with the Tigercub, I thought a slightly more docile ship might be a good idea.

Any interest on a build thread for this one?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (223.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 04-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #18
Bald Paul

Tigercub fuselage is done. The improvements to the battery hatch cover give more room to stuff wires in without physically enlarging the battery tray area. I'll have to update the CAD files accordingly.

When I laid out the cut files for the parts, I added the parts for my version of the RCM Advanced Trainer in a smaller, electric powered size to the laser cut order.

Mini Kobra project is still in the works (still working on the new 3D CAD program) but the build of the "First MATE" (the first Mini Advanced Trainer Electric) will commence shortly.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #19
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

Foam wings http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/foamwings/index.html If you do get a plan figured out for the Kobra i would enjoy building a smaller electric one some day . i built a 40 size nitro one long ago and destroyed it in combat ,lol joe
Old 04-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #20
Bald Paul

Haven't really updated this thread for awhile. The RCM Advanced Trainer version (renamed the First MATE - Mini Advanced Trainer Electric) is coming along nicely. Didn't really do a build thread on this one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg First MATE-0001.jpg (5.51 MB, 103 views)

In order to fly, you must first take off. Nobody told me about landing.
AMA 530555 FAA something something something
Old 04-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #21
Porcia83

sweet!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #22
Bald Paul

I think I may have ADD. The Mini Kobra may be dead. Since it's a re-scale of an existing design, and I already did the Tigercub (resized Tiger 2) I felt it was sort of a 'been there, done that' project. The First MATE is still under construction, but I decided to attempt a "scale" project. How about a kit of a kit?

The Zenith CH701 home built caught my eye. Pretty much a box fuselage, STOL wing with fixed leading edge slats, and flaps. Fuselage is super roomy. I have some decent 3-views and dimensions. Some challenges in design (I'm trying to figure out how they mount the wing on that thing!) and, of course, I'm still dealing with the learning curve of a new 3D CAD program, searching through the 840 pages of user guide.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 701topper_2.jpg (115.4 KB, 173 views)

In order to fly, you must first take off. Nobody told me about landing.
AMA 530555 FAA something something something
Old 04-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #23
Porcia83

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
I think I may have ADD. The Mini Kobra may be dead. Since it's a re-scale of an existing design, and I already did the Tigercub (resized Tiger 2) I felt it was sort of a 'been there, done that' project. The First MATE is still under construction, but I decided to attempt a "scale" project. How about a kit of a kit?

The Zenith CH701 home built caught my eye. Pretty much a box fuselage, STOL wing with fixed leading edge slats, and flaps. Fuselage is super roomy. I have some decent 3-views and dimensions. Some challenges in design (I'm trying to figure out how they mount the wing on that thing!) and, of course, I'm still dealing with the learning curve of a new 3D CAD program, searching through the 840 pages of user guide.
Love that plane, there's one parked at an airstrip not far from the field I fly at. I won a raffle to fly in this plane, a Cessna 172, or an RV8...I did the RV8, but this looked fun too.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft