Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)
Default Comet Cherokee 30" span

This build started in my Stearman thread, but has progressed far enough that I may as well make a build thread for it.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=71269&page=2
Since this model apparently has no build threads for it on the rc forums, this will be a first, for whatever it's worth.

The model has a HURC 300 firepower 1600kv outrunner, chosen to operate a smaller 6030 GWS scale diameter prop, with the battery bay sized for a 3s-450 Gens Ace (really more like the older 3s-900 TP lipo). Using my favorite Dyman switching BEC ESC, this one the 12A version. The forward battery/tail servo placement should hopefully avoid much, if any ballast, with the relatively long Cherokee nose helping.

Sheeting actually went well on this project, where you can easily spend as much time thinking about it, as actually doing it. One small piece left to go on the nose top.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	176615 This method of "building in mid air" is a pita. Although I've done it many times, this is the first kit using this method that I paid for, versus scratch building.

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	176616 Tail servos and steerable noswheel linkage all in front bay, directly behind the firewall. The second bay is cut out, to allow the battery to sit partially in the first bay.

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	176617 One 3" and one 4" wide sheet of 1/32" sheeting sections basically sheet the entire fuse, other than the nose top area. The rear window was rough cut out, mostly just to provide a needed relief cut along the window openings.

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	176618 Small piece added to the sheet, to complete the flat center fuse bottom area.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

The way you did the layout for the fuselage sheeting is exactly how the full sized one is done.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #3
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
The way you did the layout for the fuselage sheeting is exactly how the full sized one is done.
Interesting Pat, I hadn't noticed that when looking at the 3-views.

I've got one more thing mostly out of the way, which is making the cowl acceptable. I'm not killing myself on this build, but the cowl molding was trash! I think the mold was probably okay, but the vacuum pull apparently did not properly pull it to the mold. The upper area is much more wavy than can be seen in the first pic.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_5.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	176642 Tough to see here, but there are bulges on the top of the cowl, that cause it to not blend with the nose profile and really stick up.

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_7.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	176643 The bulges in the upper cowl were pressed down and held flat, by gluing against 1/32" ply plates.

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_6.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	176644 After a bit of filling and sanding on the cowl top surface, it should be acceptable after a few coats of sanded fill primer. The grey spot is not a kink, but is a thin sanded area backed by glue on the inside.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Your Cowl reminds of an error I make EVERY TIME !!

I take out the cowl and think - I must make a duplicate .... but you know what ? I get carried away with the build ... I fit and maiden and usually the cowl gets damaged ! By time I need the second cowl - its too late !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Your Cowl reminds of an error I make EVERY TIME !!

I take out the cowl and think - I must make a duplicate .... but you know what ? I get carried away with the build ... I fit and maiden and usually the cowl gets damaged ! By time I need the second cowl - its too late !!

Nigel
Yep that's the great thing about scratch building, in that you always have a mold to keep. I wish I had made some plaster molds of some of my other cowls, like Smokin' Beaver does with his Guillows jobs. Of course Murphy will also dictate that if you make a mold, then you'll never have to worry about damaging the cowl.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

My Laser kit J3 cub ... all $27 of it ... when I contacted the factory for replacement cowl - price was OK - but then $35 shipping !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

Bill, glad to see you back at it. I always enjoy reading about your work.

Chris

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Thanks for the kind words Bronco.

My Laser kit J3 cub ... all $27 of it ... when I contacted the factory for replacement cowl - price was OK - but then $35 shipping !!

Nigel
Yeah that is a kicker, especially when the shipping should be $10 tops! Probably easier to find another Cub cowl of the same scale, with a popular model like that, and make it work.

Gotta love fitting spinners. Got an old FlyZone spinner fitted up and spinning true, now to see how well it's all balanced. The interior is painted with Model Masters fabric red, although it's a bit glossier than I expected.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_8.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	176652 Battery and slide latch fitted. As of lately I've been inserting the door hinge straight down into a notched header, since they rip out when attached to the sheeting.

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_9.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	176653 The pilot had 1/2 a head which looked terrible, so the rear half was sculpted from soft balsa. The seats had no back side either, which now have 1/32" balsa on the seat backs.

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_10.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	176654

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_11.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	176655 The backing plate was fitted to center the spinner, with the aluminum nut threaded for a retaining screw. This all fell together fairly easily for once.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

It just keeps getting better. Missing/miscut wing formers, where one of them actually had the tip cut off, being placed too close to the edge of the sheet. They also only provided enough stock for 1 of the 2 trailing edges, made from 1/16" sheet.

I initially planned to throw the Comet "X" wing construction out the window, and build the wing with the formers ran 90 degrees to the main spar. With planned 1/32" wing top sheeting, this will allow for a lesser former count. Since the diagonally ran formers are larger than formers ran straight, they can be cut and resized using the straight end cap formers as a template, and used to build with conventional wing construction. A bit of CA was used to glue the die cuts that would no longer be needed on the "X" formers, so they would not break in those areas. I also plan to use my favorite 1/8" dowel rod for the wing LE, which works well with sheeting and provides a pre-shaped LE. The rod is no heavier, if not lighter, than the 1/4" hard balsa LE that the plan calls for.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_12.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	176663 The Comet "X" construction is being scrapped, and the end cap formers are used as a template to recut the other formers and make them identical to it.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)

Mr. Bill

Concur on the dowel LE.

I use it where ever I can!!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 07-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Thanks for the kind words Bronco.

Yeah that is a kicker, especially when the shipping should be $10 tops! Probably easier to find another Cub cowl of the same scale, with a popular model like that, and make it work.............
Have a spare Ultimate cowl that is about same size ... with a bit of foam added .. shaped ... make a sand mould and plaster cast ... hot mould a plastic job ..

Dowel L/E ... yep and another one is the bbq skewer for L/E on smaller stuff ...

Nigel

Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #12
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Have a spare Ultimate cowl that is about same size ... with a bit of foam added .. shaped ... make a sand mould and plaster cast ... hot mould a plastic job ..

Dowel L/E ... yep and another one is the bbq skewer for L/E on smaller stuff ...

Nigel
It's all doable. I reworked Cub cowls for a FW189!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_13.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	176664 Ailerons framed into construction, and will be cut away after sheeting the wing panel top surfaces. CF rod laminated to 1/4" balsa main spar, for added strength.

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_14.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	176665 Completed wing frames, less aileron servo mounting. Built up wing tips, for a more scale appearance. GWS landing gear mounts used for removable gear legs.
Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM   #13
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Finally got around to covering the fuse. It's certainly not my best covering job ever, but with this one it's more of a get it done thing. This probably will end up being a red Cherokee with white tail feathers and wings, whether they actually made them or not. I had thought about an all red model, but that would require buying another roll of red Parklite.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_15.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	176811 The windows/canopy fit well on this kit. The wing top surfaces will be sheeted with 1/32" balsa. The wing panels test fitted surprisingly well.

Name:	Cherokee_Comet_16.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	176812 Fuse covered with red Parklite. I found a reasonably close red match for the cowl and roof. Reds are a pain to match, and I wasn't spending 5 bucks in attempt for a better one.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft