Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
RepRapper

Friends: (1)
Default 3D Printing? What is all the excitement about?

Why is there so much excitment about 3D printing?

Let's find out. Go to thingiverse or the universe of things and type in and search for. "servo"
http://www.thingiverse.com/

Today I got 581 hits when I seached for "servo" Okay, so what? That is 581 free servo "things" that you would have to choose from that you could print right now if you had a 3D printer. So what's the catch? You have to have access to a 3D printer to make use of them.

So what exactly is a 3D printer?

A 3D printer is basicly a computerized glue gun. Only instead of squirting out glue it squirts out plastic. With the accuracy of a cumputer printer. It builds part in layers, Say you are building plastic motor mount. The 3D printer would draw the bottom layer of plastic much the same way a computer plotter draws on a piece of paper. Then it moves up and draws the next layer, stacking plastic layer by layer until you have a complete motor mount.

How strong is it?

That depends on what plastic you use. Most use PLA or ABS . ABS plastic is the stuff legos are made of. If you have ever stepped on a lego with bare feet. It hurts your foot but not the lego. And PLA is even stronger. Just for the fun of it I stepped on a firewall/motor mount/ nose gear mount. I made for an airplane. It didn't break.

Below is the picture, the one in the center is the one I stood on. The picture does not show it very well but the part is hollow. The outline is 15mm thick so it has plenty of gluing surface. But the top is smooth. The holes are for the motor mounting and wires, and of course cooling. The plastic thing at the bottom is where the nose gear will be and the gap is for the steering arm. So intigrated into this one piece is firewall, motor mount, steering arm, not visable are stick attachments point and holes for the cowling all in one part. No trying to cut small holes in plywood here,

This next picture is experimental landing gear for the slowstick. That is why the little square at the top. Not yet ready but close. It still needs some tweaking. There are some size limitations on what you can print. That is why I printed it in three pieces. It is plenty strong might thin it out and make it lighter.

This next picture is of a cowling for an Eflight Mini Pulse. The one on the left is the printed one. The one on the right is the Eflight cowl. The weight is pretty close. I printed this one nose down the program filled in th holes I am not sure why?

This next picture is of a Slowstick motor mount. I got tired of replacing cheap plastic motor mounts that I could get in the hobby shop. The one you are looking at goes to a Slowstick Bi-plane that had a bigger then normal motor. I think the mounting holes are 19mm apart if I remember right. When my son tried to buy them they were back ordered. He didn't want to wait so I designed and printed him one and he flew it the next day. That was a year ago. I made it thicker and stronge, now the motor mount doesn't break every time he hits the prop.

This one I just did for fun. I found the file on thingiverse and thought I would print it. It is acually a model car engine casing. I was thinking maybe I would paint it silver and hide an electric motor in it?

This picture is of some cowlings I made, they are only one layer thick and I wasn't sure how steep of an angle I could print that thinly. It turns out to be about a 45 degree angle is about as steep as you can do reliably.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

motor was 19x25mm spacing.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

3d Printing Human Body Parts - Image Results this was the title to pictures of replacement bones and various body parts and organs. truly scary how technology is advancing.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club

Interesting! I've been reading stuff about this from time to time. Concerning the cost of these printers and supplies.....where do they start?

Any recommendations on what to look at and where if a person was interested?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

our 3d printer was built in our garage. it uses 3/8" (or 10mm for you metric lovers ) all thread. the rest of the parts are essentially built on the same type 3d printer you are building. the software is free. the stepper motors are cheap and easily accesable. the electronics can be built, bought premade or purchased as part of a kit. we power ours with an old computer powersupply.

starting out from scratch, it will cost.between $200 and $500.

check out reprap.org and thingy verse.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
admin
Administrator

Some amazing things happening in 3D printing. Some new printers out there and new price points. This 3D Printing forum looks like a good resource. Found some good technical info on it and learned about a new company. 3DStuffZone

I like the new Makerbot printer. Also I saw a company I think in Europe somewhere that is doing some amazing stuff with laser sintering and titanium for aerospace and medical devices. Arcam AB was the company name. Some interesting applications.

Marc Vigod
RC Forums

SAVE A YORKIE FUNDRAISER - Click here to learn more

Old 12-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

makerbot is literally a commercialized copy of the reprap. they built a reprap, put it in a plywood box and added $500 to the price tag of a free open source project. the new makerbot is not even capable of printing in abs plastic.

if your willing to pay for a pre assembled and more limited machine, then go for it. I don't like people that steal other peoples ideas that are given out for free and then make money off of it. one thing that makerbot has done though, they have developed software that is a bit more user friendly, although still based off of the first reprap software.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
RepRapper

Default Makerbot

The Makerbot is actually a really good michine. I wish I could afford one. I am using Makerbot electronics on mine and I am using their software. If you are looking for a turn key system that is prebuilt and ready to go pretty much right out of the box it is a very good option. If you want to save a lot of money there are some other options now such as the "up" printer or one I have been thinking about is the printerbot. Both have options that are prebuilt. When I got started the only option was to build one, unless you had about $50,000.00 to invest in a small comercial machine.

Then came Adrian Bowyer at Bath Universty who started a movment that has made them affordable to almost anyone. He realized that a 3D printer could make it own parts or have "children". The nice part about having a reprap is you can make the parts for a friend and he can have one too.

You can buy all the plastic parts for a "reprap" which stands for replicating rapid prototyper on ebay for around $75.00 US. Then the electronics will cost you another $100.00 or so. Everything else you can pick up at the local hardware store and consists of things like nuts and bolts, and threaded and and smooth rod.

If you don't like hardware stores you can get complete kits at MakerFarm.com. That saves a lot of hassle.

The more complicated stuff like the hot end you can buy on ebay for around $50.00
if you don't want to build that.

The bottom line is you can now have a 3d printer for about the price of an airplane. If you choose to build one you can probably do in about the time it takes to build an airplane. And the best thing is it can help you build your next airplane too.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I am now using almost all 3d printed parts for my slow stick.

3d printed motor mount, carbon fiber hybrid landing gear and of course our battery boxes. soon, wheels, tail wheel and many other things will come.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-29-2014, 01:06 AM   #10
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Friends: (16)

hayofstacks, i have 2 words to describe those pc's you made for the stick.........i'm jealous.

to add a few more words would be it looks very cool to be able to design motor mounts and other parts like that. very cool. stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:26 AM   #11
cyclops2
Super Contributor

If we build our own 3ds ? It will cause China to have our unemployment problems.

Rich
Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 AM   #12
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

landing gear and motor mount are crash tested.

I lost a elevator servo while I was shooting touch and goes. ended up over a snow bank and went over the curb. no damage done, even the prop survived. my millennium x gear failed me my first rough landing.

I'm shooting for dubro. what nickel and dimes me is the hardware. next is a servo tray and steerable tail wheel. if we break a wing mount, dads got one all drawn up.

also looking at making a 10mm square to carbon fiber arrow shaft to replace the fuse if we kill it.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 AM   #13
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

btw, landing gear went from concept to crash tested in less then 24hrs. there's a reason they call them rapid prototype machines.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
3d Printing Human Body Parts - Image Results this was the title to pictures of replacement bones and various body parts and organs. truly scary how technology is advancing.
Human body parts? Really? Do you think they could make me a copy of Kandyse McClure?

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Human body parts? Really?
Amazing. I go back to the days when the just invented desktop copy machine was a real deal. That was when we had the mimeograph machines that used a stencil made with a typewriter. Any mistakes in that stencil, and you had to do it all over again.

Now with 3D printing, they really are making things for the human body.
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/3-...rch-2D11812708

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 AM   #16
RepRapper

Default 3d printed landing gear. How much did it cost to make it?

Okay so here is the breakdown.

1/3 of a carbon arrow. $1:16
1 ounce of PLA plastic. $1.10

Total. $2.26
Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
RepRapper

Okay so we now have two 3D printers up and running.

The good new is the second printer is a lot better then the first one and it cost about half of what the first one did.. My new 3d printer is the Pusa two from Makerfarm.com. The kit is $450.00. It runs better software called Pronterface. And it will print at higher temperatures so now ABS is an option. ABS plastic does stink but the quality of the prints are worth it. I would say that my first print on the new machine was better then my best print on the old one.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #18
ggunners

Send a message via AIM to ggunners
Friends: (0)
Default WWII Nose Art in 3D

An awesome artist Yan in Quebec created some 3D nose art. Here's a print from my Solidoodle 2 at .200mm height. I have never seen WWII nose art as a sculpture or 3D model before. It is truly unique. -- ggunners

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140218_074517-720x480.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	173787
Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 PM   #19
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Friends: (168)

Hi
Fascinating
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #20
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Friends: (168)

Hi
Maybe one day this will be the norm
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #21
Brian VT

Friends: (0)

I've been getting interested. I joined a forum and they are having a contest to give away a 3D printer. Click the link to join and enter (and I get bonus points for the referral ).

http://www.3DPrintForums.com/index.php?referrerid=2416

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions