Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
E-Flite P-51 Mustang Unboxing, Build, Maiden Flight, and Review
E-Flite P-51 Mustang Unboxing, Build, Maiden Flight, and Review
Published by GBLynden
10-06-2014
Default E-Flite P-51 Mustang Unboxing, Build, Maiden Flight, and Review

This is my E-Flite P-51 Mustang Unboxing, Build, Maiden Flight, and Review video. It shows me unbox, build, fly, and review the new full-house Dallas Doll P-51 Mustang from E-Flite.

This is the BNF Basic, which means it doesn't come with a battery or a charger. It does come with a receiver to bind to your Spektrum radio such as a Spektrum DX6 like I used in the maiden flight in this video.

This is my first park flyer sized P-51 and it is the first plane I have ever owned that comes complete with flaps and retracts, which was a bit intimidating to say the least.

Horizon Hobby and E-flite did a good job overall this RC plane in spite of the cons I have noted below in the flight review notes. I am still in awe of how well it flies. It was modeled after the "Dallas Doll" North American P-51 Mustang Warbird and this one certainly looks the part.

Flight Review Notes:

Cons
- Paint flakes off way too easy and glue is required
- Arrived with dinged up flap
- Slightly underpowered
- Used up more battery than other HH warbirds

Pros
- Tracks really well right out of the box and required no trim
- The AS3X did not interfere with the flight
- Quick and easy build overall
- Comes with flaps and retracts

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

My overall conclusion is that If you are on the fence about buying this like I was, jump off and get your piece of World War II history today. None of the issues I had with this plane impacted the flight performance in a negative way.

Here is just the maiden flight for those that don't want to hear me talk lol
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Specifications
Wingspan: 44" Overall Length: 38.4" Flying Weight: 48oz
Equipment Used:
Motor: 15-size 950Kv Speed Control: 30-Amp ESC Battery: 11.1V 2200mAh 3S 25C Flaps: Yes Retracts: Yes
Retail Price:
$250
Manufacturer
E-Flite

Author review
Kit Instructions:
90%90%90%
Ease of Build & Finish:
90%90%90%
Design & Appearance:
70%70%70%
General Flight Characteristics:
90%90%90%
Performance Capabilities:
70%70%70%
Average 82%

Member rating

There are no ratings to display

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 
Old 10-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Ramin G

Default My first flight experiences

I just maiden'd this great BNF warbird.

The only build glitch was that the BindPlug Extension wire was not routed to the battery compartment. (I intend to hookup my iPhone AS3X app via this cable to take a peek at the 'Flaps Down' versus 'Flaps Up' Stabilization settings in the receiver.)

I flew with the recommended Eflite 2200mah 3S battery and a DX6i transmitter. The battery endurance easily allowed 5-7 minute flights.
The flying field hard runway and my first landing and taxiing did cause wingtip and propeller tip scrapes so I am adding scuff guards to the wingtips and ordering spare props.
The flying advice in the manual were quite helpful
1. use Flaps for takeoffs and landings since AS3X stabilization is most aggressive in this mode, use 1/4 throttle and high rates on elevator on landing approach
2. Avoid sharp turns during fast taxiing to prevent scraping the wingtips.

This plane is my next step from my Parkzone T28.

Pros
- The best 'Almost no work' BNF plane with little or no mechanical skills needed. Controls required no trim.
- Programing the DX6i transmitter was a breeze (Factory settings in the AS3X receiver were already tuned for this plane)
- Extremely forgiving AS3X assisted flying, particularly for takeoffs and landings and much less sensitive to wind than my trusty T28 while very good for learning acrobatics.

Cons
- none (could use more info on the AS3X settings)
Old 10-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Warbird Fanatic

The weight is quite high for the size of the plane. With that wingspan alone, I see little reason for AS3X, and with that weight with that wingspan, even less reason for it. That is just my opinion. To me, AS3X is only for the airframes that can't take wind on their own.

Underpowered is something your really don't want on a P51, and the paint issue, that is one thing that makes me not want to fix the Inverza 280; the top of the plane is practically white and it never scraped the ground or anything.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Community Moderator

Great job man!!!

We need to "learn you up" on glue. Foam safe is not needed on this type of foam! Good news as foam safe is crap (does not bond as well) and expensive!

Foam safe is only needed on the old "beer cooler" type EPS foam. These newer types like:
  • Z-Foam (Horizon's foam brand name)
  • AeroCell (Great Planes foam brand name)
  • Elapor (Multiplex brand name)
All of these - are more plastic than foam. They use beads that are largely plastic and they handle CA with ease, no melting!

Keep up the great work - and have no fear glue is pretty easy stuff!

Mike
Old 10-07-2014, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by raming View Post
I just maiden'd this great BNF warbird.

The only build glitch was that the BindPlug Extension wire was not routed to the battery compartment. (I intend to hookup my iPhone AS3X app via this cable to take a peek at the 'Flaps Down' versus 'Flaps Up' Stabilization settings in the receiver.)

I flew with the recommended Eflite 2200mah 3S battery and a DX6i transmitter. The battery endurance easily allowed 5-7 minute flights.
The flying field hard runway and my first landing and taxiing did cause wingtip and propeller tip scrapes so I am adding scuff guards to the wingtips and ordering spare props.
The flying advice in the manual were quite helpful
1. use Flaps for takeoffs and landings since AS3X stabilization is most aggressive in this mode, use 1/4 throttle and high rates on elevator on landing approach
2. Avoid sharp turns during fast taxiing to prevent scraping the wingtips.

This plane is my next step from my Parkzone T28.

Pros
- The best 'Almost no work' BNF plane with little or no mechanical skills needed. Controls required no trim.
- Programing the DX6i transmitter was a breeze (Factory settings in the AS3X receiver were already tuned for this plane)
- Extremely forgiving AS3X assisted flying, particularly for takeoffs and landings and much less sensitive to wind than my trusty T28 while very good for learning acrobatics.

Cons
- none (could use more info on the AS3X settings)
Very good write-up!

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
The weight is quite high for the size of the plane. With that wingspan alone, I see little reason for AS3X, and with that weight with that wingspan, even less reason for it. That is just my opinion. To me, AS3X is only for the airframes that can't take wind on their own.

Underpowered is something your really don't want on a P51, and the paint issue, that is one thing that makes me not want to fix the Inverza 280; the top of the plane is practically white and it never scraped the ground or anything.
I hear you and I should probably clarify the underpowered thing. It isn't too quick on the top end and that may have to do with the 4-bladed prop. It is good flying ever for its weight though......at some point you may want to take a look at it

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Great job man!!!

We need to "learn you up" on glue. Foam safe is not needed on this type of foam! Good news as foam safe is crap (does not bond as well) and expensive!

Foam safe is only needed on the old "beer cooler" type EPS foam. These newer types like:
  • Z-Foam (Horizon's foam brand name)
  • AeroCell (Great Planes foam brand name)
  • Elapor (Multiplex brand name)
All of these - are more plastic than foam. They use beads that are largely plastic and they handle CA with ease, no melting!

Keep up the great work - and have no fear glue is pretty easy stuff!

Mike
Thank you Mike! That is good insight with the CA and I will try my best to learn and grow as much as I can
Old 10-07-2014, 03:28 AM
Warbird Fanatic

What you need is this power system: http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-voo...specifications

4 blade will increase thrust by 1.5X or something like that, I can't see top end being hurt, unless it is a lot heavier.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:17 AM

That is sweet! Although I really like how it flies now to be honest. I have other planes when I have a need for speed

So I was able to get out and fly my the P-51 Mustang today after not being able to fly since the maiden over a month ago. In many ways it felt like the maiden all over again as you can see by how poorly executed my take-off was. It was still a great flight and I still have the grin on my face
YouTube Video
Comment

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews

« Previous Review | Next Review »