Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
highflyer65

Friends: (0)
Default Hobby People Wasp

I picked up the wasp from Hobby people for 23.00 Looks like a real good slow flyer . Has anyone any experance with the wasp as a 4 channel airplane ? I have an E-Flite park 400 with a 2 to 1 gearbox that can sling a 1280SF prop on a 2s lipo . Should have it in the air in a day or two weather permitting . I have nothing aganst the SS but the Wasp looks much stronger .
Old 03-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
jimmi

I saw the guy building his wasp at the hobby shop and it looked sweet. He was going to install airlons on his. I just bought a slow stick and man that wasp was very tempting. I have heard that the slow stick is easier to fly then the wasp. Also what I liked about the wasp was how the wings were solid foam versus the slow stick which are kinda of hollow like. I still think I made a good choice, since I want a slow flyer. But I would like to see someone flying the wasp to see if it flys as well as it looks. I also liked the way the tray is made on the wasp, its an all wood tray and looks pretty solid so that you have all your electronics to carry. Jimmi P.S. I agree the wasp does look stronger!!!
Old 03-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
highflyer65

Well I built my Wasp with AIL. and built the wing without any dihedral , also I epoxied both wing half's together and added one carbon fiber tube down the middle of the under side of the wing . This really stiffened up the wing. I've flown it 2 times it's not a biggeners airplane, with no dihedal it goes where you tell it to go and will not come back to level flite, you have to fly this one . You can build it with the dihedal as all the parts are there, and it would probable make a real good ail. trainer.PS. You are right the SS is much easer to fly. All said and done you can't go wrong for 23.95 it's a lot of bang for the dollar.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
jimmi

Well not 23.95 anymore, there not on sale I think there about 32.95 now Which of course isn't too bad I may just pick one up, but I'm going to see how good my ss handles, then I will ponder the wasp Jimmi
Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
highflyer65

Good luck with your SS you'll love it , and just pick a no wind day to maiden it . I still have my SS and fly it often.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
jimmi

Thanks highflyer, yesterday was too windy and I will see today if the weather is ok to fly in. Last time I flew in windy conditions, my plane took off never to be seen again:o That was my challenger II which didn't have alot of power, and I should of not taken it out that day. Should of listened to my son:o Putting some type of information on that plane like a phone number etc. could of helped, but I didn't do that either Today is sunday and so far the weather is good. I will probably go flying in a few hours if the wind doesn't pick up. Jimmi
Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
mongoose

Hi guys this is probably a stupid ? but can these planes gliding at all .
Old 03-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
Chicago
Jerry K

Built and flown the Wasp several times. Wing was built flat and epoxied together with ailerons. In my setup I had to add 1 1/2 ounces of weight as it had a tendency to climb. Also had to reduce throws on ailerons - needs very little. Setup is:
Hobby lobby 400XT with APC 10X4.7 prop
Thunderbird 18 ESC connected to a GWS RX
4 SG90 servos
11.1 volt 100mah 12c lipo

In taping the surfaces, just lay the tap on and do not try to stretch it.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
highflyer65

Well Chicago I really like the wasp and think it's a bargain , but it does need some upgrades. When I took it out of the box I had to take every thing that was glued at the factory and reglue it . I used 5 min. epoxy to put it together with. Also you really have to epoxy the wing half's together and use a carbon fiber tube down the under side of the wing to stiffen it up.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
Chicago
Jerry K

Highflyer65 - Perhaps you fly more aggressively than I do. I thought the wing was pretty solid and just joined and epoxied the halves together as you did but did not reinforce it with carbon rod. I did notice "tail wag" so I ran 1/4 square through the carbon fiber fuse going up to the rear of the wing saddle. It was a bit windy when I flew today (too much for the slow stick). The Wasp cut throught it without a problem. I really believe you get your monies worth with it and I think it might be a good aileron trainer
Old 03-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #11
highflyer65

Chicago-The only reason I put the rod in was, after I epoxied the wings together I tought it had to much flex and with the rod added it completey eliminates any flexing.I did this befor I flew it . I also added 1/4 square stock about 2 ins. fore and aft of fuse. because it was split . I wish I had gone the entire lenght of the fuse. It does have a lot of twist. Well it does perform well and I'm probably being nitpicky HEY I only paid 24 dollars for it.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
TheOldGuy

Advice: When considering the price of a plane, don't forget the price of the electronics. If you buy cheap, you get cheap and end up with all sorts of problems. I learned, like so many others, that cheap is not the answer.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #13
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
Hi guys this is probably a stupid ? but can these planes gliding at all .
They glide. It's an easy plane to build, and easy to fly.
I got one just to get one with the idea of putting a camera on it. It's a bit more substantial than the Yard Stiks I have.
Flies well rudder/elevator/motor.
I used it to test the air range for the radio that comes with the Eflite Blade CX helicopter.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
highflyer65

From one old guy to another,there are still some bargains out there ,you just have to look.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #15
jimmi

You were right Highflyer man do I love my slowstick. Its so simple to fly and more then enough power. I flew it in a small park so I didn't really get to bang it around because too many trees were in the way. But when I take it out to the bigger field, "possibly next week since I will be in vegas this week" I want to try more then half throttle and see them wings flutter I also want to do some loops and see what she got. This thing is alot of fun, and you can park it/land it anywhere. I did fly it and flew flawless, no complaints here I had it going straight up in a hover and wasn't really applying too much throttle, Maybe half. Now I'm thinking of mating it with another SS with a diffrent color of course I like the way it pulls out if you get in a tight spot, its not like a challenger II where you have to use the pucker factor and hope she bails out in time P.S. this plane will glide or do a beeline, its really an easy flyer. Jimmi
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #16
aeronca11AC

Just to update the thread.... the Hobby People discontinued the kit in 2008 or so. They claimed it was too heavy, but the plane is such a floater that's hard to believe. It easily carrys any cam, like the gumstick or keychain. Too bad the wing mold isn't around because it wouldn't be that hard to kit.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:36 AM   #17
aeronca11AC

And my WASP finally bit the dust... the tail boom fractured and the tail went out of alinement and the plane did a great swan dive as a lawn dart 4" into the Puget Sound mud...Good 5 years worth of flying with it. Thermals were a kick. Too bad they discontinued it back then...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6153[1].jpg
Views:	118
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	174474  
Old 04-04-2014, 03:37 AM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

thats a easy fix, just get some Square CF tube or 3/8" square basswood and Epoxy it in place of the old fuselage, if you need a rudder or elevator make one out of 1/8" balsa.

http://www.rcfoam.com/carbon-fiber-s...ube-p-843.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers