Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
rcchick
rcchick

Friends: (0)
Default 3D Printing Survey - Does it have a future in the RC industry?

Hi Guys,

I am a graduate business student and we are doing a project to investigate what 3D printers need to do in order to successfully enter the RC industry (planes and cars), if it is possible for these machines to do so.

We made a survey to get your thoughts. Its anonymous, only takes about a minute and we value any insight you can give on what you think you would need to invest in a 3D printer.

We appreciate your time.

docs.google.com/forms/d/1SCdO6HN2erfL2PGoYDoKHhKQmO_RXmSoVP3hLEf-reY/viewform
Old 11-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

There are already some designs out for 3D printing complete "ARF" airplanes
Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

been using 3d printed parts on my plane for a while now. I think it will change the home user.market, but not so much the industry. they already use 3d printing to produce prototypes for their plastic moulded prices that almost everything already uses.

but, you can design and produce the same level of parts in your own home.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 11-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by rcchick View Post
Hi Guys,

I am a graduate business student and we are doing a project to investigate what 3D printers need to do in order to successfully enter the RC industry (planes and cars), if it is possible for these machines to do so.

We made a survey to get your thoughts. Its anonymous, only takes about a minute and we value any insight you can give on what you think you would need to invest in a 3D printer.

We appreciate your time.
If the cost of those 3D printers ever break the $100 mark, their sales will take off like you'd never believe.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
MyronW

Club: Fallbrook RC Flyers

I could sure use one right now. I'm trying to adapt a motor mount, and if I had access to a 3D printer, I would have been out flying today instead of making one out of plywood and epoxy. (It came out crooked, to boot!)

Rotary wing: mCPX V.2; Nano CPX; MQX; Ares Ethos QX 75 Quad
Fixed wing: HZ Glasair Sportsman; Slow Stick; Assassin;PZ T-28; Crack Turbo Beaver; Hangar 9 P-40B Warhawk 50 (under construction)
Radio: Taranis
Old 11-25-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

like say you needed a 25mm x 19mm motor mount on a 10mm stick?

or a custom battery mount for a 4000mah lipo , or landing gear mount?

I like our 3d printer.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Like everything it comes down :

a) Price - has to be affordable and worth the investment

b) Those who like gadgets

c) Materials it works with.

Simple ... all markets know that.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Club: 114th Grapevine
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (2)

been toying with idea of getting a group buy together for one locally. Still a little pricey at moment

Too many hobbies, and not enough time!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Read Flight Metal's comments under the B-47 build. I think they are fine for making miscellaneous plastic parts like canopies,fairings, mounts, cowls, even pilot figures but for complete airframes? Maybe some prototyping to shorten the mold building cycle.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I think the tool that will become a common one in our hobby is the Laser Cutter .. as prices fall ....

I'm actually already talking to a Co. about one ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Club: 114th Grapevine
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (2)

I am looking at a homemade CNC -- cut foam blocks into fuses??

Too many hobbies, and not enough time!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

3D printers already exist that will 'print' metal parts such as ball bearing assemblies. The next step is to 'print' complete, finished and fully assembled consumer products. The vision is that you go to the (say) Apple shop, pick out your new iphone and they 3D print it there and then to your exact spec. Same thing could go for your new RC transmitter if the demand was great enough.

It's not too far away apparently.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
3D printers already exist that will 'print' metal parts such as ball bearing assemblies. The next step is to 'print' complete, finished and fully assembled consumer products. The vision is that you go to the (say) Apple shop, pick out your new iphone and they 3D print it there and then to your exact spec. Same thing could go for your new RC transmitter if the demand was great enough.

It's not too far away apparently.
H'mmm
Wonder how those 3D printers will print out those microprocessors with the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ equipment used to make them?

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
H'mmm
Wonder how those 3D printers will print out those microprocessors with the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ equipment used to make them?
Beats me, it's like alien technology!

I was told this my my boss at work who had been out to Caltech in the US where a NASA project manager had been lecturing on 3D printing developments and their plans to install one on the International Space Station. So it's coming from reliable sources. 3D printing can work to atomic precision, so there should in theory be little it cant do.

My boss was looking for applications that could be used to justify sticking a metal 3D printer on an offshore platform to make emergency spare parts. He was very enthusiastic about the idea after coming back from Caltech but I think he eventually realised that it's not viable for that application right now.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

the ones that print metal parts do one of two things. take a powdered metal and spray epoxy, or use a laser to melt the metal. this obviously takes a very powerful laser.

we have a laser printer as well. the problem I have with it, in the time it takes you to model the part, you can easily draw it up and cut it by hand in the same amount of time. but, once its drawn, you can just click the go button and have as many as you want ready to go. I see a big advantage here for things like wing ribs and fuse joiners. I've personally decided its not really worth the hassles unless you plan to cut more then 4 or 5 of something.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 AM   #16
RepRapper

Default Will 3d Printing be used in our hobby?

I think I am in a good position to answer this question. I have a Co2 laser cutter. A phlat printer. A CNC router. I had a foam cutter, (building a new one). Basicaly if it has been made for our hobby I have probably owned it. That being said if I had to choose only one.

It would be a 3d printer.

It is absolutely the best and most useful tool in my work shop.

When I was looking into getting a 3d printer I had my doubts. The thing that really got my attention was when I learned I could choose the density of the part I wanted to make.

You cannot do that with any other medium. If you want something strong why not make it out of nylon? If you want something light you can make it as hollow as you want. Or you can make it completely solid.

I believe that 3d printing is a game changer.

I think it will change things as much as the computer did.

I am going to make a prediction.

Some day you will own a 3d printer. To me it is not a question of if? It is a question of when.

When I tried to enter the $50.00 scratch build contest I was asked not to participate because other modelers here at watt flyer felt my 3d printer was to much of an advantage.

On the $75.00 scratch build I chose not to tell anyone I was using a 3d printer and I built the most none threatening airplane I could. Something very much like a slow stick. I knew with that choice I probably wouldn't win. But I felt I could compete without anyone feeling I had such a great advantage and to have me disqualified.

For me 3d printing is here to stay.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:52 AM   #17
RepRapper

Default 3d printing in space.

Here is a short video of bath university doing some research for NASA to see if a reprap can print at the space station in zero g.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 AM   #18
RepRapper

Default New low price for a 3d printer.

Here is a link to the cheapest 3d printer.

http://printrbot.com/shop/printrbot-simple/
Old 03-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #19
c.sitas

My self, I don't see everyone owning a 3dprinter. I have stood back and watched the hobby cnc take off. The making of the machine is one thing. Which I did .Learning cad and how to run it is entirely another go. For one thing a cnc router, mill , foam cutter, lazer, what have you . The material you running is not so much a hole in your pocket when you make a mistake. Therefor more jump in and try to learn. Not so much so with the printer. The printer is also a lot more software orientated .So I guess I'm saying ,maybe a steeper learning curve, also more bucks for reels of what ever you were running.Also to look at the above link. A greenhorns chance at making this running would be like a "----" ya. What it really is ,is someone will bite ,and someone else will reap the bennies. Good luck
Old 03-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #20
RepRapper

Default Can you build a 3d printer?

If I can build a 3d printer then anyone can.

It wasn't any harder then building a model airplane from a kit.

But not to worry if you don't want to you can buy plenty of printers that are ready to go.

Two years ago at the consumer electonics show in Las Vegas there were only a handful of 3d printer booths, last years there were two and a half full rows of booths dedicated to 3d printing.

I see the world and the way we do business changing dramatically. Instead of going to the store and buying a comb or a pair of shoes you will just down load the file you need and print them. When your kids out grow there shoes as they are so prone to do you will feed the old pair old shoes into a shredder and scale the shoes up by 5% chuck in a couple of milk jugs and print new ones.

Here is how I see the hobby changing. When you crash your plane you will do much the same thing. Just take the broken pieces and shred them and make new ones.

Oh and as far as digital designs check out this out.

Right now at thiniverse there are 866 things you can print just for servos. Have a look.

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=servo&sa=
Old 03-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #21
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

It really does go so much further then people realize. count the amount of plastic things near you, then imagine you didn't have to pay much of anything for them.

break your cell phone case? No problem. print a new one. go to thingiverse and type in iphone. need a new dash vent for a 1953 studibacker? Again, no problem. want a cup holder for your 64oz big gulp that attaches to your computer? Done.

3d printers are already here and growing exponentially. it might be a few years before you see one in more of a consumer market, but its already here. you don't need to know how to use cad programs for anything that people have already designed, and they are given freely by the millions.

you could have a 3d printer if you were careful for less then $100 if you shopped around and waited for a good deal. hell, even hobby king is carrying parts and electronics. gee, i wonder why?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
RepRapper

Default Quadcopter Parts just $0.10 an once

There is just one catch you have to have a 3D printer.

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=quadcopter
Old 03-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #23
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

My local stationery warehouse has a 3D printer on display.Only $3000.
It would have to get a lot cheaper for me to be able to afford one.I can see it's usefulness though.Motor mounts in particular at the moment.Commercial ones just never are quite right for my needs.
Trouble is,by the time they are cheap enough,I'll be dead and gone.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #24
RepRapper

Default Cheap 3d printer? Try $349.00 us

3d simple

http://printrbot.com/shop/printrbot-simple/

I own this one. Well now I have three of them. Did I happen to metion this one makes most of it own parts? So you can print one for a friend.

http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/3...it-deluxe.html
Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 AM   #25
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

If you have ever soldered esc leads, your capeable of building on from the ground up. it uses all thread, smooth rod and springs from a ball point pen, as well as skateboard bearings.

it is not anything hard to build or wire up, or program. most of the parts could be bought at home depot. this isn't super fancy exotic only made in a small town in italy kind of thing.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions