Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
carpetbagger

Friends: (0)
Default low voltage alarms . . .

Hitec sells one, and so does Heads Up RC. The HURC alarm has a cool LED display of ALL cell voltage and a scrolling menu on cell #1, #2, #3 depending on the number of cells. The alarm is quite loud as well.

My question: does anyone have a clue what the miliamp draw is on the alarm? I have a Hitec alarm also, same question, what is the draw?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

The draw is in the low double digit milliamps... usually under 20 ma when the alarm is not sounding.

It takes power to make noise... so the current draw jumps significantly when the alarm goes off.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
MKE-Flyer

The one I got from Amazon allows you to pick the voltage before the alarm goes off, I set it .2v above to compensate for the slight power draw form the alarm.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Safe to say that the draw is negligible, unless you left if connected for weeks on end.

Bear in mind the old fashioned LED watches (remember those) used to run for months on a tiny button cell.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
MKE-Flyer

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Safe to say that the draw is negligible, unless you left if connected for weeks on end.

Bear in mind the old fashioned LED watches (remember those) used to run for months on a tiny button cell.
Very true, I would also rather have my plane yell at me verses crashing. Also look into telemetry, this way your transmitter can yell at you.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)
Smile Cheap good telemetry for battery voltage

I have started using the new, Quanum Pocket Vibration Telemetry Voltage Meter With Alarm from HobbyKing.
It uses a very small monitor/transmitter plugged into the balance port of the flight battery.
The airborne part is 1-1/8" x 1-1/16" x 1/8", it only weighs 4.3 grams about 1/7 of an ounce. It has a antenna that is 4.5" long, soft wire. Range is said to be 300-400 meters.
My plane never went beyond range even though I tried to do so. It just got too small to be comfortable, even with a 42" wing span.

The receiver can be in your shirt pocket although I have mine on the metal handle on the back of my JR 9303, when it vibrates, you will NOT miss it.

Bottom line; I love this thing, it is well worth the price, for telemetry of the most important variable in an airplane. On my first launch I realized I had a weak battery. This unit monitors each cell, not the total for the battery. so if you have one bad cell in the middle of a good pack, it will tell you. then you can do some ground testing to find the bad cell.

I don't have any connection with HK, it's just that this is great. I will not fly without it.

Quanum Pocket Vibration Telemetry Voltage Meter With Alarm

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ith_Alarm.html

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers