Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #1
yb28

Friends: (0)
Default Thunder Power 5000mAh 10S

Hello,

I need a Thunder Power 5000mAh 10S G6 pro power battery pack. I'm on the University of Waterloo Formula Hybrid team and we accidentally blew one of the packs, since this product is discontinued, we are in need of one. If anyone knows where to find one or if anyone has one thats either new or used, please let me know !

Thanks in advance,

Keith
Old 04-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I dont have one but have some suggestions for alternatives:

A different brand such as: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27191 also works out much cheaper!

Or series connect two 5s-5000mAh packs (this is what the 10s pack is under the shrink wrap anyway)
Old 04-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
yb28

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I dont have one but have some suggestions for alternatives:

A different brand such as: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27191 also works out much cheaper!

Or series connect two 5s-5000mAh packs (this is what the 10s pack is under the shrink wrap anyway)
Thanks for the reply, yes we could do that, but the batteries are located in a fireproof box so there isnt any other option

please let me know if anyone else has the battery!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Here you go, Lots of them on EBay they are the G8s hope that will fit. if not, you will have to make up a new fireproof box to fit the battery.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

2nd option, have a custom lipo made up to your size requirment.

http://www.houseofbatteries.com/cust...FQaBfgodApsAcg

Custom Battery Packs for Every Application

Our engineering and design team will optimize the reliability, safety, and manufacturability of your battery design. We utilize advanced mechanical and electronic design tools to give you the best performing, most economical, and most dependable battery assembly solution for your needs.
The engineering team at House of Batteries provides custom battery design assistance, or can develop a completely new solution to meet the unique energy requirements of your products. We have the expertise and industry experience to deliver a complete, custom made energy solution for any industry or application.
CAD drawings and prototypes of your custom battery pack are provided for customer review and approval, and to help facilitate any pre-production design developments or changes.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by yb28 View Post
Thanks for the reply, yes we could do that, but the batteries are located in a fireproof box so there isnt any other option
That shouldn't be a problem. The 10s packs you buy are actually two 5s packs placed end on end, so you could easily just do the same thing yourself.

Also the 'other brand' option is still good providing you check that they will fit your box.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

One advantage of using 2 (or more) packs to make up the huge battery is that if one cell goes you may be able to just replace a smaller number of cells instead of an entire 10S 5000 mah.

It really depends on application as to the best solution.

Note that the newer LiPos are a little smaller for the same capacity and current rating vs when that Thunder Power 10S was made. You may find that its very easy to get an alternative that fits.

Also... if you get an exact replacement its going to be old already. LiPos tend to fail with age, becoming unable to deliver rated current and unable to provide rated capacity. Generally after 3 years I have to limit my demand to half rated current.

A new pack (set of packs) will bring you back to full rated capacity and probably a higher current rating at a far lower cost than what was paid for the old Thunder Power pack.

I tend to buy Sky LiPo from Nitroplanes.com. Good packs at decent prices. The disadvantage is their prices are so good that they sell out within days of getting in a battery shipment.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
yb28

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
One advantage of using 2 (or more) packs to make up the huge battery is that if one cell goes you may be able to just replace a smaller number of cells instead of an entire 10S 5000 mah.

It really depends on application as to the best solution.

Note that the newer LiPos are a little smaller for the same capacity and current rating vs when that Thunder Power 10S was made. You may find that its very easy to get an alternative that fits.

Also... if you get an exact replacement its going to be old already. LiPos tend to fail with age, becoming unable to deliver rated current and unable to provide rated capacity. Generally after 3 years I have to limit my demand to half rated current.

A new pack (set of packs) will bring you back to full rated capacity and probably a higher current rating at a far lower cost than what was paid for the old Thunder Power pack.

I tend to buy Sky LiPo from Nitroplanes.com. Good packs at decent prices. The disadvantage is their prices are so good that they sell out within days of getting in a battery shipment.
Thanks for everyones input, yes I'm aware of the new batteries are much smaller and stuff, as well as other brands option, which is doable, but the battery box we have right now is much more complex than just modifying 2 5s and make it work. also the problem is the time we have left until competition, I've checked EBAY but they dont have any G6 10s, closest we can get is 9s which still doesnt work

I appreciate all the help! but keep looking out for me if you could find any or if any of your friends have any!
Old 04-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Like I've said a few times.. The 10s packs ARE just two 5s packs tagged together, and covered with shrink wrap. So connecting two together yourself would produce an identical pack except for the shrink wrap, which you could add if you really wanted.

Also seems to me that smaller size batteries couldn't possibly be a problem. If they are a loose fit in the box just put some foam in to stop them rattling around... No?

The thing is that those 10s 5Ah stick packs are, and always were, a very uncommon battery size, so your chances of finding one in good condition from a product line that's been discontinued for quite some time are very slim.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
yb28

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Like I've said a few times.. The 10s packs ARE just two 5s packs tagged together, and covered with shrink wrap. So connecting two together yourself would produce an identical pack except for the shrink wrap, which you could add if you really wanted.

Also seems to me that smaller size batteries couldn't possibly be a problem. If they are a loose fit in the box just put some foam in to stop them rattling around... No?

The thing is that those 10s 5Ah stick packs are, and always were, a very uncommon battery size, so your chances of finding one in good condition from a product line that's been discontinued for quite some time are very slim.
okay so 5s are discontinued as well, so if anyone has 10s or 2 5s' that will do too, sorry please dont mind me repeating myself over, I'm just doing the search for the electrical team, I'm on the mechanical team and I have no clue about the batteries.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by yb28 View Post
okay so 5s are discontinued as well, so if anyone has 10s or 2 5s' that will do too, sorry please dont mind me repeating myself over, I'm just doing the search for the electrical team, I'm on the mechanical team and I have no clue about the batteries.
Post the size of your battery box, That way we can check on battery sizes, and find batteries that are doable. IMPROVISE, ADAPT, OVERCOME, Semper Fi, Hoorah

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...0-10SPF70.html

G-6 size

This product has been discontinued. Please see this similar product instead.New packs from Thunder Power. If you want some serious power, these are the packs for you! These packs are capable of continuous discharge rates up to 65C and burst discharge rates up to 130C.
Charge ONLY with LiPoly chargers.
Capacity 5000mAh Discharge 65C (325.0A) continuous, 130C (650.0A) burst Voltage 37.0V size 155 x 47 x 88mm Weight 46.14 oz Termination Wire and Thunder Power Tap

G-8 Lipo 10 cell

I Dont see why a G-8 10 cell lipo wont work, its only 1mm longer (.040 ) and 1mm shorter and 6mm thinner Than the G-6 Lipoi Dang near the same size, It should work Just FINE.

enlarge.
Thunder Power 5000mAh Ten Cell 10S 37.0V LiPoly Pack - G8 Pro Force 70C Series
Part# LP-TP5000-10SPF70

No reviews yet.
$459.99
QTY
Stock Status: This item is Special-Order. Your order may experience delays.

General Product InformationOther DocumentationReviews & Comments

The peak in performance culminates with the G8 Pro Force 70C series batteries. When your high-powered EDF, 3D heli or other applications demand nothing but the best look no further! The Pro Performance 70C series batteries deliver 10% more power and up to 10% higher initial voltage for longer sustained power over G6 65C batteries. Now up to 10% smaller and up to 3% lighter than the G6 equivalent. Resulting in the industry-leading highest energy and power density with the smallest size and lowest weight combined; in comparison to similar capacity and discharge rated batteries available. The ultra-low internal resistance (IR) affords for the long cycle life and ultra-fast charge rates up to technology leading 12C for charge times in 5 minutes or less.
Charge ONLY with LiPoly chargers.
Capacity 5000mAh Discharge 70C (350.0A) continuous, 140C (700.0A) burst Voltage 37.0V Size 156 x 46 x 82.0mm Weight 45.68 oz Termination Wire leads and Thunder Power tap

Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Have someone from your Electrical Team Review this Thread and Posts, They may have a better understanding of whats needed. and I am sure they will see that a G-8 lipo will fit the battery box as its dang near the same size, and even more powerful. Hope that helps, Chellie

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers