Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)
Default Wild Hawk-not pretty but sure does fly!

Here are the pics, Bonez. She is no beauty queen! The aileron servos are simply glued to the bottom of the wing. Its pretty thin, so I didn't recess them. I did place packaging tape over the servos to imporve aerodynamics. Servo leads are simply taped to the wing.

I drilled a hole on top, just behind the "cockpit" to run the esc wires down through. The ESC is simply taped on with packaging tape.

The motor is too large to fit inside the foam "housing," so I just screwed it into a thin piece of plywood using an x mount. The rear peice of plywood is screwed into a wine bottle cork (not Thunderbird-those screw on ). The cork is glued into the foam motor housing. Another peice of plywood is screwed into the cork from the front. It was an improvised solution because I did not have a long enough bolt on-hand.

I had to seperate the fuselage along its glue joint and put a rod in the tail boom. As you can see, the boom was flexing and the prop was chopping into it.

Also, there was no canopy along with the plane when I pulled it out of the trash. I just cut one out a 1 liter bottle and tape it on. Works great!

Good luck with yours!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6280.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	153968

Name:	DSCF6281.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	153969

Name:	DSCF6284.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	153970

Name:	DSCF6285.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	153971

Name:	DSCF6286.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	153972

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Looks good. I was checking out this thread.

http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showth...uper-Wild-Hawk

and got some good ideas. I also like your ideas as well I think combined it will come out looking pretty good. I am just wondering if my ARF will come with a split fuse or already together. I was also looking into this motor from Heads UP RC
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail
But not sure if my ESC at 18 amps will be good enough. We shall see

What are the dimensions of your ailerons? I am debating if I want to add them or not, i am leaning toward yes
Oh and you dog looks jealous . He needs more attention and wishes to goto the flying field with a bone. That way he wont eat anymore of your plane parts.

Ahh crud just realized heads up RC is out of these motors. HMMM

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Send a message via AIM to FlyingMonkey
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  AV Contest 
Friends: (24)

I added ailerons to my EZStar. I used a dremel, and routered a little less than halfway through, on both the top and bottom. This provided a full length hinge. It worked great.

Self proclaimed dictator of the Flite Test fan club.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
I added ailerons to my EZStar. I used a dremel, and routered a little less than halfway through, on both the top and bottom. This provided a full length hinge. It worked great.
Oh It took me a long time but I think I follow you. To make hinges you used the bel; housing type dealieo with the drill bit? and it worked? Hunh I may experiment with that idea on some spare foam at home. Please let me know if I am in the weeds on this

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
earthsciteach

I'd get a 25 A ESC for that motor and use the 6x4 prop.
My ailerons are 15" x 1.75." I'll probably replace those with balsa, like I did for my cub. It needs a little more ooph in the roll.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Send a message via AIM to FlyingMonkey
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  AV Contest 
Friends: (24)

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Oh It took me a long time but I think I follow you. To make hinges you used the bel; housing type dealieo with the drill bit? and it worked? Hunh I may experiment with that idea on some spare foam at home. Please let me know if I am in the weeds on this
Sounds like you've got it.

Self proclaimed dictator of the Flite Test fan club.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well I don't wish to rob Teach of his thread but I got excited today and picked up almost everything I need to get WH up in the air of course after seeing the bill I cringed a bot said man I could got a lot of that cheaper online but here we are and we are just waiting for it to be delivered. I picked up
1 Eflite Park 450 outrunner motor (go big or go home right)
1 36a Thunderbird ESC
2 servos (although i have them already but you never can have to many)
1 Spektrum 6 channel Rx

Oh and I forgot something some connectors Doah
and a better soldering gun oh and....

Old 10-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ok Teach she arrived last night and I decided to take a break from my Dart to work on this model this evening. Looks interesting that is for sure. I did not get to far just got the motor and ESC wire connectors soldered. Boy do I stink at soldering but got her done. I also split the fuse in 1/2 to carve a spot for the carbon fiber in the tail that I cut off from an arrow I found in the trash. Now our planes have something in common also began planning how I am going hide ESC and wires etc. Have some ideas but have not come up with a great idea yet. Continue some more tomorrow. But gotta go flying first because the snow will be returning Tuesday and I have to get all my flying before

Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Air-on

Friends: (1)
Default translation

Dear Mr. Fishbonez,
Now it was I who got stuck:
"To make hinges you used the bel; housing type dealieo with the drill bit?"
Please, what is " bel; housing type dealieo". Perhaps the old fun with native-speak like "lady-o" or similar... Maybe there were typos, because I could not guess it via Google.
I am trying to make an e-stand-off scale of the pretty :p AirWagon (I am here now:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64355 ), and I intend to use ailerons, because that is how I learned (or got close to) to fly an ugly stick with .60 motor: bank wing, apply stabilizer panel ("profundor" in Portuguese, sorry).
I got here because I am puzzled on how to set up the aileron commands, how to install the whole darn thing, mostly since I am using improvised materials (foam has not yet arrived in Israel "official" local market).
Any hints on ailerons on foamies (well, kind of foamie... )how to install, horns placement, servo on wing or upside down on fuse side...
Thank you!
Air-on
Old 10-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
earthsciteach

Air-on,
Dealio is one of those made up words that we sometimes use when we don't know what the real word for that thing is. Other examples of such words is, "thingy", "thing-a-majig", and "whosawhutzit." We have MANY words and sayings in the English language that aren't in the dictionary. This must cause endless headaches for anyone trying to learn or who have learned English as a second language!

I've attached a picture of the tool to which Bonez was referring.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 14.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	154133

Old 10-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
earthsciteach

Bonez-Nice! Let me know what you come up with for the ESC placement. Sounds like my soldering skills are on par with yours! Ha ha

Still waiting for my cam to ship. Didn't you say it took a while for yours?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Air-on,
Dealio is one of those made up words that we sometimes use when we don't know what the real word for that thing is. Other examples of such words is, "thingy", "thing-a-majig", and "whosawhutzit." We have MANY words and sayings in the English language that aren't in the dictionary. This must cause endless headaches for anyone trying to learn or who have learned English as a second language!

I've attached a picture of the tool to which Bonez was referring.
Thanks for rescuing me on that Teach. I felt bad just now reading that post. my typing skills are about as good as my soldering skills and I somtimes forget that other non english speaking cultures read these post as well. So Air-On my apologies to you.

Air-On = As far as you question about ailerons goes. Servos can either be on top of the wing or on bottom it is purely up to you and the design of you plane. I am not familiar with your type of plane for I am just a beginner myself. I prefer bottom myself because I like all elctronics and such to be hidden as much as possible. I think it adds to the mystic of the plane. As far as servo horns go I use the WELAR Theory, which stands for "Well Looks About Right" and I try to make the arms as parallel to the fusealog as they can be. I hope this helps if just a little bit. Good Luck and sorry about the Language Barrier

Old 10-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ok this is what I have done so far. I added about an inch or to the control services on the elevators and rudder. Cut ailerons however due to a mistake with the dremmel tool. I had to cut brand new ones out of some scrap foam from the extensions. The Orange was my attempt to match color well...looked like the same color at first but yea. Tomorrow hope to mount electrics. Depends on if I get the fence fixed in time. Lots of wind here today and yesterday

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1428.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	154162

Name:	DSCN1429.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	154163

Name:	DSCN1430.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	154164

Name:	DSCN1431.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	154165

Name:	DSCN1432.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	154166 Proposed plan of elecs inside fuse

Old 10-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
earthsciteach

Looks great! Can't wait to hear the flight report. The Hawk is a lot of fun in the wind!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #15
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I think this thread turned into a build Thread sorry about that.
Here is where she stands right now. Well carving out areas for the ESC and wires to lie was harder than I thought but done, looks like a wiring mess but there is a method to my madness. Tomorrow I shall seal her up. Gorilla glue and tape are my friends now. I do have a couple of concerns however I am wondering if the ESC will get to hot and th Y connector for the ailerons have not quite figured out where it should go with out interfering with the hole wing slot and finally am not sure how the tail feathers are secured to the fuse.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1433.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	154198

Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #16
Air-on

Friends: (1)
Default No sweat!

Thanks for rescuing me on that Teach. I felt bad just now reading that post. my typing skills are about as good as my soldering skills and I somtimes forget that other non english speaking cultures read these post as well. So Air-On my apologies to you.

Air-On = As far as you question about ailerons goes. Servos can either be on top of the wing or on bottom it is purely up to you and the design of you plane. I am not familiar with your type of plane for I am just a beginner myself. I prefer bottom myself because I like all elctronics and such to be hidden as much as possible. I think it adds to the mystic of the plane. As far as servo horns go I use the WELAR Theory, which stands for "Well Looks About Right" and I try to make the arms as parallel to the fusealog as they can be. I hope this helps if just a little bit. Good Luck and sorry about the Language Barrier
Dear Bonez, no problem-o!
It's because I know english wholesale that I go after the nitty-gritty of slangs and regionalisms. I complemented my highschool English learning by devouring second-hand Flying Models, Model Airplane News, Airmodeller, whatever I could find. Oh, and also lots of Popular Mechanics (their picture of the "Shop of the Month" would keep me drooling and wondering how rich you guys could be to afford all those tools... and of course MAD Magazine! Still today I prefer Mad's written features than their comics (although the really great writers of Mad have all already bought the farm...).

2- My plane: my arrogance made me believe that I could just go ahead and draw/ build an electric Cessna AgWagon "stand-off scale" and "cross those bridges as they came by" without ever having doing this foam thingy (hahaha) before...
Low wings planes are inherently unstable, and not good or very safe for absolute rc beginners (which I am not - although my forte has always been stunt and combat control line). To compensate for that I put lots of dihedral, but got stuck by the time I tried to to figure out how to make the ailerons (short and close to the wing tips) commands to work (I have some experience with an Ugly Stick .60, so I know how to bank/apply tail feather command to make turns.

3- After this soulsearch and admission of (temporary) defeat, I intend to go back to drawing and start over. I have a thread open for this build, and I promise to come back and bugger you guys for help **before** I waste any more materials.

I love this hobby since I was 12 because I can do things as if I had all the time of the world , and because this micro-avation-engineering does not risk a pilot's life if my design simply "sucks"!

Have a great day, and help keep what's left of the American Dream alive.
Air-on, from sunny Israel
Old 10-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
earthsciteach

Bonez-Can you run the y harness from the ESC to the bottom side of the wing? Then you can just gut a small hole in the fuse and run out to the servos. Are you using servo extensions?

Another thought-if you haven't glued the arrow in place, you may want to move the rear shaft foward so that there is not a gap at the base of the tail boom. It does tend to flex at that point.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Air-on View Post
Dear Bonez, no problem-o!
It's because I know english wholesale that I go after the nitty-gritty of slangs and regionalisms. I complemented my highschool English learning by devouring second-hand Flying Models, Model Airplane News, Airmodeller, whatever I could find. Oh, and also lots of Popular Mechanics (their picture of the "Shop of the Month" would keep me drooling and wondering how rich you guys could be to afford all those tools... and of course MAD Magazine! Still today I prefer Mad's written features than their comics (although the really great writers of Mad have all already bought the farm...).

It reads like you have a perfect grasp on the English Language far better than I would with yours. Serving in the US Air Force and have deployed to many different countries I have needed to pick up some foreign languages but never could quite get them. Korean is very hard and Pashto and Dari (spelling) blend so much that I tend to confuse the dialects. I am also glad I never had to read any of these Languages because I would be totally lost So keep it up you English is far better than you think. I also grew up on MAD and Cracked Magazine got to love Spy vs Spy and your right they are definitly not as good as they used to be

2- My plane: my arrogance made me believe that I could just go ahead and draw/ build an electric Cessna AgWagon "stand-off scale" and "cross those bridges as they came by" without ever having doing this foam thingy (hahaha) before...
Low wings planes are inherently unstable, and not good or very safe for absolute rc beginners (which I am not - although my forte has always been stunt and combat control line). To compensate for that I put lots of dihedral, but got stuck by the time I tried to to figure out how to make the ailerons (short and close to the wing tips) commands to work (I have some experience with an Ugly Stick .60, so I know how to bank/apply tail feather command to make turns.

You are way ahead of me in this hobby. I have not been succesful at cutting a wing yet. If requires dihedral I cant cut it correctly. I as well am always looking for advice and Wattflyer has been the best for me. Most of the folks here understand what it means to experiment and to be a begginer. So ask away I figure there is no such thing as a dumb question. I also believe if I have a question someone else has the same question or has had that question as well. Oh and I will try to refrain from uing slang

I love this hobby since I was 12 because I can do things as if I had all the time of the world , and because this micro-avation-engineering does not risk a pilot's life if my design simply "sucks"!

I have only been in this hobby since April. I have always had an interest in this hobby since childhood but never could afford to get into it, so I just sat by and watched and wished for many years. However as a child I was able to afford to enjoy the hobby of model trains and we just had a Local Hobby Store open up here in Wyoming and I thought I would browse at model trains just for fun. That is when I discovered that the RC airplanes industry had started making RTF planes. Suddenly I could try the hobby that I always wanted to do as a child and I have been hooked ever since.

Have a great day, and help keep what's left of the American Dream alive.
Air-on, from sunny Israel
Most definitly and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Bonez-Can you run the y harness from the ESC to the bottom side of the wing? Then you can just gut a small hole in the fuse and run out to the servos. Are you using servo extensions?

Another thought-if you haven't glued the arrow in place, you may want to move the rear shaft foward so that there is not a gap at the base of the tail boom. It does tend to flex at that point.
Hmm that is an idea. I think you ment receiver and not ESC. I am not using any extension however my Y harness is really long so I think I may be able to do that. I just wondered if it would too tight of a fit with the wings installed. Now looking at it I think it may be the only way to make it work.

I did glue the arrow in but I think I can find one more and maybe cut it to fill the space. I originally wanted to run a "spar" from front to back but that would have required more carving then I wanted to do or maybe was to lazy to do

This will be the last day of nice weather for a few days here in Wyoming. Winter in now here in Wyoming and am looking at snow both Tues and Wed and cold temps the rest of the week so as long as I can keep the garage warm we hope to have finished her by this weekend. I have to admit I am real excited to see what this thing will do.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #20
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ok got her sealed up and just waiting for the glue to dry. It took a long time because I taped her up to test all connections and was having problems with the ailerons not functioning. I am not sure what I did to fix it but took it apart and put it back together and it worked fine. I took your advice Teach and cut a small hole for the ailerons and it seems to work perfect. I did not add some more carbon fiber because it was just a couple of inches in between the two rods so we will just have to hope that will be enough FINGERS CROSSED. I still need to mount the motor and glue the servos in for the tail feathers but want to wait until the glue dries so I can make sure they are centered. Then mount the tail feathers although I think they will have to be glued because I cant seem to figure how sticky tape that came with it could be enough. Then she should be finished and ready for a maiden which may have to wait a while because weather report calls for a foot of snow between Tuesday and Wednesday and some cold weather after that.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #21
earthsciteach

One last bit of advice-Reinforce the motor "pod" and "neck" with packaging tape! The motor puts a lot of stress on it and it will crack, eventually.

Good Luck!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #22
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing I am glad you confirmed my suspiscion

Old 10-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #23
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well mounted the motor and tail feathers last night. Tonight we shall try to get it balanced I am going with about 2 1/2 inches from the leading edge as my CG point. I cant help but wonder if she is to heavy. I do not have a scale to weigh it with and can not help but wonder if it will even get off the ground or as soon as I attempt to glide that it wont fall right out of the sky like a brick. I guess we shall see. This weekend it is suppose to be rather nice out and we will see what happens. By the way anyone know of a good scale to weigh an airplane with?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #24
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Oh yea forgot to show the pics. Not to happy with the motor mount and the ESC wires and motor wires have to much slack but....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1434.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	154320

Name:	DSCN1435.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	154321

Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #25
earthsciteach

Bah, It'll fly! Double check your prop. Looks like it may be on backwards!

Glad to hear you are going to have a nice weekend to fly. Weatherman is predicting 3"-6" of snow tomorrow, here. Did you trade our weather for yours somehow???

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions