Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
nabu

Friends: (0)
Default Super Cp has slower climb after crash

Hi everybody!

I'm New, i'm Alessandro from Italy!

I have a Super Cp since a while, but the other day something happened after a crash.
When i took off againg the climb was very slow, like if the battery was drained...then i changed the battery, just fresh charged and with the telemetry indicating 4.2v...and was the same...
I checked the swash plate, the blades, everything...
Tryied other batteries but nothing..
Then i checked the pitch travel and i noticed that the maximung pitch in normal mode was far lower than the one in throttle hold mode...
So i changed the pitch travel from 100% to 150% and i could climb faster again.. But i feel the motor slowing down the rpm when climbing at max pitch, and i think this wasn't happening before...

I also have a brand new motor...so new batteries fully charged and new motor, but strange behavior after the crash...

Any idea or suggestion about it?

THANK YOU GUYS, any help would be really appreciated!!
Old 11-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Try checking that the rotor spins freely and isn't stiff due to a damaged bearing or bent shaft. I'd also be trying to figure out why you are getting less pitch in normal than in throttle hold, something must be screwy in the programming.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
nabu

Hi!

I checked and there's no friction on the rotor, turning by hand the main gear it seems really smooth and free of resistances..
The strange about the pitch is that it really is the servos max travel that is less than before, if not toucing the pitch travel adjust and letting the original...
Every part is perfectly following the servo travel...but i can notice the servo's arms that are having a less travel than with the throttle hold...
Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

If the servos have less travel when in normal than when in throttle hold it's got to be something screwed up in the Tx programming.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

I would rebind the heli first of all. How is the negative pitch on it? If by normal mode you mean idle up (not much point of throttle hold unless you use idle up), the rotor turning, and if the gear slid down on the shaft, the shaft will slide up and decrease the pitch possibly. Perhaps you think the servos aren't getting full travel, but perhaps the swash isn't getting full travel in reference to a moving shaft and hub. Under throttle hold, obviously gravity will bring the shaft back down, and bring pitch back to normal. If none of these areas are the culprit, then the programming in the radio. Check if pitch is the same on the throttle hold and normal mode. Actually, applying the same curve to throttle hold as idle up is a good choice, rather than making a new curve, or not using curve at all, letting the system use the idle up pitch curve. I made a new curve for throttle hold on my 450x...same curve as idle up, but the pitch wasn't the same, because it was set to add or something in the new curve...and because the heli was technically in idle up still, throttle hold added to the previous curve. This cause the heli to shoot up 20 feet, and then the rotor stopped, resulting in bad damage.

To give a list of what I would do for settings (Note I use negative number for negative pitch, although in my radio even throttle curve range from -100 t to 100):

Throttle:
Curve 1: 0 25 50 75 100
Curve 2: 100 100 100 100 100
Curve 3: Throttle hold (Replace, not add to)- 0 0 0 0 0

Pitch:
Curve 1: -10 0 30 70
Curve 2: -100 -50 0 50 100

And that is it (I only use idle up so I can't recall the Normal Mode pitch).
Old 11-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
nabu

Hi!!

By normal i was meaning idle up OFF and throttle hold OFF..

The shaft may have a minimu slide at maximum at the hold max pitch, but i already pressed the gear and i think is not infleunt...(i think...) )
The shaft when in hold mode is getting full travel, much more than without hold...
Maybe is the radio, but is really strange that before the crash was fine and after the crash was not lifting...
As i said, i had to change the pitch travel to 150% in order to be able to have enough lift, similar to before...
When i let the heli fall a bit and i suddenly give max pitch, it kind of suffer a bit to take vertical speed again, like if the battery of the motor where not performing well, when the both are brand new and fully charged...

I made a short video to show you the shaft/radio behavior, i hope is clear..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PqSJDxGBBA&list

About the settings...sorry for my being a noob...but i'm not sure i understand..

What you mean for curve 1, 2, 3? Do you mean the curve point like "L, 1, 2, 3 ecc"?
And where sould i enter the numbers? Maybe they are instead the "L, 1, 2, 3" points?

Thaaaanks!!!! )
Old 11-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Less pitch is understandable. 3D flying uses idle up, normal mode uses a smaller pitch range and a changing throttle. Throttle hold is clearly set to a pitch curve different than normal mode. As for setting, one channel will show throttle (channel 1 or 3). You'll see three or four lines of mixes, saying the switch and what curve it at. It will say c1-c3 or c4. On channel 6 you'll see something that looks identical to the throttle curves, only the will assign c4-c7, c5-c8, or however many mixes. Now go through menus and you should find one with curves (it could be in mixes too I suppose, if you push the select button on a mix). In that menu it will show curves up to....well a lot, but only 1 to 8 should be in use. You may be able to look at the numbers of each curve, or have to select each curve to see the settings. These curves are what the mixes go off of. I would check curve 1, see if it ever shows 100, as when you to full pitch you could not have a high enough headspeed. Also check curve 6, 7 and 8, and compare to the mix menu. If any show THR as the switch, delete the mix completely. What this will do is tell the system that throttle hold overrides everything in throttle, but not pitch. Control your range of pitch through curves, not setting to 150%. One last thing, make sure your curves go from -100 to 100 or from 0- 100, as if your radio goes from -100 to 100 and you set throttle at 0, that's 50% throttle.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk