Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
Theplumber

Friends: (0)
Default Dollar store foam construction

Question... I have found what so far is the best flying wing design i have built using dollar store foam board (Jim collin's off youtube, nice enough to email me template's, thank's jim!). My question is, i'm going to build another one, Only weakness in the one i like (This is not a weakness, it's me crashing, the design is solid as can be) The nose from me running it in the dirt, took some beating. On my first i filled the nose with bubble wrap, and reinforced the battery compartment with extra spar's. This time im going to put pink home depot foam board in the nose just at the point the width of the battery. I notice from me crashing, when it's a hard hit my hot glue rip's the paper off the foam and my motor stick mount(not the way jim did it) come's loose due to the paper just separating from the foam due to my impact. Where i connect my stick mount, should i remove the paper? and should i use hot glue for wood stick to the raw foam, or some other adhesive? I also used wing colored packing tape to cover the wing. Can i remove all the paper and add the tape over it, as i notice it starts to peel from the paper coming loose too. Or would this really weaken the wing?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

Pretty much all the strength in dollar tree foam board design comes from the paper.
That said , there are some ways to work with what can also be its weakest aspects.
I used to tape over the paper but eventually the paper would peel from the foam. Instead I now use a thin coat of minwax on the paper. Makes it mostly water proof and and humidity resistant.
I also remove the paper in any spot where pieces are glued together. After that you'll find the foam will ripp away around the glue joint in a bad crash while the joint stays together.
Long thin panels can use some strength reenforcement. Flat wings without an airfoil usually gets the bamboo scewer spar treatment. Airfoil wing get a spar made of paper covered foam.
Keep in mind that DT foam models are not really intended for long term use. They are however a very economical way to fly a large variety of plane types without breaking the bank.
I have built close to 20 different models and multiples of each and find great satisfaction from them.
From a simple flat wing to a very fast edf delta fighter, there is not much you can not build in an afternoon with DT foam board.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Theplumber

Thanks, i just like it so much, and it fly's so good, just was trying to make it last longer with my flying skill's. Best part 2 block's down the road from me a dollar tree just opened, and the building began! If i wanted to use the same template and the same design, just with better foam, what should i use, and what thickness in mm? So i can order online, as i do not have local place's to get foam, and do not want to get the wrong stuff or thickness.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #4
Theplumber

This is the wing i like flying so far, and crashing as it's tuff, just want to make it tougher while i learn/crash

(by the way my wife hate's me taking over the table! LOL!)
Old 08-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Theplumber

I've heard of fiber glassing plane's. Could i do that with this wing(Build another one but, fiberglass it instead of tape? would this make it to heavy? If feasible, how would i go about doing it? Is there a video or something showing this done?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

I wouldn't bother with the fiberglass myself. For the price of glassing a DT foam plane I could build 10 replacements.
Just build a bunch of wings and when you crash one transfer the electronics to a new one.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
nuteman

If you're not concerned with looks and/or perfect symmetry, you can pretty much endlessly repair these planes.
The key to success is to remove the tape/paper/glue that's messed up before starting the repair. This way, the plane's weight isn't accruing rapidly.
I've got a couple of "test-bed" planes that I use for all sorts of experiments and crash quite often - one is DTF and one is 1/2 inch pink foam. The DTF one is ugly as can be and definitely has slight/moderate asymmetries, but flies just fine.
If you strategically place carbon fiber tubes or rods in the right places you can get rid of most/all of the paper (big weight savings). Then, after removing the paper, cover the outer skin tightly in light packing tape. This arrangement is stronger and often lighter than with the paper (the paper is about half the wight of the foam-board). Yes, the packing tape covering will bubble slightly over time, but again, I'm talking strictly about utilitarian concerns, not looks.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
Ohm
cursed

Club: AMA Member

I really like building with DT foam. I always remove the paper and cover the frame with colored packing tape,the very thin stuff. DW foamies is where i bought it the past. I was going to post a link but this tablet won‘t access any page but the home page at DW. The tape has shone to be very durable and really adds to the resiliency and looks. The Blu baby in my little picture is cover in the tape. Being a trainer i can put in any ones hands it has multiple encounters with unmovable objects and the only damage to date has been bent prop shafts.

There is nothing so simple it can't be done wrong.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft