Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
MKE-Flyer
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 68
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default Charger Combo Deal??

So my local Hobby Town is selling a Charger & Power Supply deal for 124.99 and I was wondering if this was any better or a good deal at all compared to my current charger.

Currently I have this little guy, I charge in parallel and it takes about 45-60 min to charge 3300mAh 3S batteries.

Hitec X1+ AC Single Port AC/DC Charger HRC44165
http://www.rcplanet.com/Hitec_X1_AC_...FfFFMgodcxsAeQ

I can get this for 124.99 Combo Deal.
Power Supply, 15VDC 250W - http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4200
And
Passport Ultra Power DC Charger - http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4102

Will this be any better than what I currently have at the moment? I would like to charge faster if at all any possible.

Thanks
MKE-Flyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 7,979
Thanked 692 Times in 674 Posts
Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (20)
Default

Originally Posted by MKE-Flyer View Post
So my local Hobby Town is selling a Charger & Power Supply deal for 124.99 and I was wondering if this was any better or a good deal at all compared to my current charger.

Currently I have this little guy, I charge in parallel and it takes about 45-60 min to charge 3300mAh 3S batteries.

Hitec X1+ AC Single Port AC/DC Charger HRC44165
http://www.rcplanet.com/Hitec_X1_AC_...FfFFMgodcxsAeQ

I can get this for 124.99 Combo Deal.
Power Supply, 15VDC 250W - http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4200
And
Passport Ultra Power DC Charger - http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4102

Will this be any better than what I currently have at the moment? I would like to charge faster if at all any possible.

Thanks
That doesn't look to bad, especially at the price including a power supply. I've got the Cellpro Powerlab 8 chargers that can charge a battery in 15 minutes or less.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT! Fast charging LiPo batteries can drastically shorten their life. Most people indicate that these LiPo batteries should be charged at the "1C" rate, or 2.3 Amps for your 2300 Mah batteries. That 1C by definition is a charge(or discharge) time of exactly one hour.

I've got those A123 cells in all of my models. Those overweight, undervoltage, oversized batteries can be charged at any rate your charger can put out. And, they'll last for years and hundreds of charge cycles in the process.

Problem is, IMHO, those A123's don't work out so well in smaller foamie type models. They won't fit, and they are heavier.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
kyleservicetech is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,604
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 246 Times in 244 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Well, first do you understand that to be able to charge faster, your batteries have to be rated for higher than 1C charge rate? Check the labels if they say so.

As far as the charger you're looking at, it appears more capable at 150w output vs your current 50w. (Actually, at 50w, I'm surprised you're able to parallel charge, at least at 1c for each battery. You know if you parallel charge 2 3300 batts, you can charge at 6.6 amps to get 3.3A each? But at 50w, for 3S batts you're limited to about 3.9A, if I figure right.) Anyway, the only thing I don't see is that the charger is a balancing one. Maybe it's not important to you, but it is to me. It might save you from accidentally charging a 5S batt as a 6S and having some fireworks or something! And it'll be nicer to your batteries, or so they say. I'd verify it is a balancing charger before going ahead with it.

I don't like to charge faster than 1C as it can be hard on the batteries. I think parallel charging is the biggest time saver.
xmech2k is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 7,979
Thanked 692 Times in 674 Posts
Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (20)
Default

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Well, first do you understand that to be able to charge faster, your batteries have to be rated for higher than 1C charge rate? Check the labels if they say so.

As far as the charger you're looking at, it appears more capable at 150w output vs your current 50w. (Actually, at 50w, I'm surprised you're able to parallel charge, at least at 1c for each battery. You know if you parallel charge 2 3300 batts, you can charge at 6.6 amps to get 3.3A each? But at 50w, for 3S batts you're limited to about 3.9A, if I figure right.) Anyway, the only thing I don't see is that the charger is a balancing one. Maybe it's not important to you, but it is to me. It might save you from accidentally charging a 5S batt as a 6S and having some fireworks or something! And it'll be nicer to your batteries, or so they say. I'd verify it is a balancing charger before going ahead with it.

I don't like to charge faster than 1C as it can be hard on the batteries. I think parallel charging is the biggest time saver.
You're right.

No where does it say this charger does balance charging. IMHO, any LiPo charger now days that doesn't do balance charging should not be considered.

Period.

It's just to dangerous, since charging a way way out of whack LiPo battery could lead to battery fires.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
kyleservicetech is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
MKE-Flyer
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 68
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Oh, you may have saved me!!! I balance charge every time! Good call on that one, I will see if it can. I know it has balance leads but I will look in the manual before I purchase.

IF it does balance charge would this be a better beginner option?
MKE-Flyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
MKE-Flyer
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 68
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Well, first do you understand that to be able to charge faster, your batteries have to be rated for higher than 1C charge rate? Check the labels if they say so.

As far as the charger you're looking at, it appears more capable at 150w output vs your current 50w. (Actually, at 50w, I'm surprised you're able to parallel charge, at least at 1c for each battery. You know if you parallel charge 2 3300 batts, you can charge at 6.6 amps to get 3.3A each? But at 50w, for 3S batts you're limited to about 3.9A, if I figure right.) Anyway, the only thing I don't see is that the charger is a balancing one. Maybe it's not important to you, but it is to me. It might save you from accidentally charging a 5S batt as a 6S and having some fireworks or something! And it'll be nicer to your batteries, or so they say. I'd verify it is a balancing charger before going ahead with it.

I don't like to charge faster than 1C as it can be hard on the batteries. I think parallel charging is the biggest time saver.
I would set it to 6amps but it would only charge at 4.4amps (maybe), would take 45-60min to charge two 3.3amp 3C LiPos.
MKE-Flyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
MKE-Flyer
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 68
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by MKE-Flyer View Post
Oh, you may have saved me!!! I balance charge every time! Good call on that one, I will see if it can. I know it has balance leads but I will look in the manual before I purchase.

IF it does balance charge would this be a better beginner option?
It does, I just looked at the manual.

Link to manual:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/DYN4102_EN.pdf
MKE-Flyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,604
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 246 Times in 244 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Well it sounds like a good deal then.

As far as the balance charging, sounds like you were pushing your charger to its limits. 12.6v*6A=75.6w. Probably why it was limiting itself in amps. I prefer to keep my chargers well within their limits. All that heat I figure will fry something eventually. At 4.4A it was at around 55w, depending on the battery voltage.

If you're not familiar with the math involved, you should learn before something bad happens!
xmech2k is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
MKE-Flyer
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 68
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Well it sounds like a good deal then.

As far as the balance charging, sounds like you were pushing your charger to its limits. 12.6v*6A=75.6w. Probably why it was limiting itself in amps. I prefer to keep my chargers well within their limits. All that heat I figure will fry something eventually. At 4.4A it was at around 55w, depending on the battery voltage.

If you're not familiar with the math involved, you should learn before something bad happens!
Thank you the help, I will go out and pick it up tonight.

Any good links on understanding math and LiPo charging?
MKE-Flyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #10
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,604
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 246 Times in 244 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Here's an electrical calculation chart.


And I guess you haven't caught this yet: Everything You Wanted to Know About Electric Powered Flight. The battery stuff is in there somewhere!
xmech2k is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will this Battery & Charger Combo work? MKE-Flyer Batteries & Chargers 1 11-26-2013 12:51 AM
Introducing the ALL NEW Cellpro PowerLab 6 (EC5 version) Charger Howard Matos FMA Direct 7 10-25-2011 07:03 AM
How to use a RC Lipo charger properly? SimonXi Power Systems 0 08-17-2011 11:02 AM
Solid experience on RC Model Lipo Battery Accident & Charger Guide SimonXi Batteries & Chargers 0 08-12-2011 05:08 PM
Introducing the ALL NEW Cellpro 10XP Charger Howard Matos FMA Direct 0 07-28-2011 02:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.67131 seconds with 39 queries