Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
E-flite UMX PT-17 Stearman Unboxing, Review, and Maiden Flight
E-flite UMX PT-17 Stearman Unboxing, Review, and Maiden Flight
Published by GBLynden
05-09-2015
Default E-flite UMX PT-17 Stearman Unboxing, Review, and Maiden Flight

Hey guys!

These videos are for the E-flite UMX PT-17 Stearman with AS3X Technology. I talk about my first impressions of this plane and do some demonstrations with it, including take it on its maiden flight with John behind the camera and his son Will cheering me on.

Here are my flight review notes:

Cons:
- Rudder was out of trim pretty bad out of the box.
- Aileron rolls are not an option stock out of the box.
- I needed to add down elevator per flight reports of others to make sure this flew correctly, which it did after that adjustment.

Pros:
- It is very detailed and scale.
- Has plenty of power for a 1S plane.
- It performs loops with ease.

Complete Review:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Maiden Flight:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Unboxing:
YouTube Video

I hope they are helpful if you were considering this plane!

GB
Specifications
Wingspan: Overall Length: Wing Area: Flying Weight:
Equipment Used:
Motor: Speed Control: Servos: Battery:
Retail Price:
$99.99
Manufacturer
Horizon Hobby

Author review
Materials & Packaging:
70%70%70%
Ease of Build & Finish:
70%70%70%
Design & Appearance:
80%80%80%
General Flight Characteristics:
70%70%70%
Performance Capabilities:
60%60%60%
Average 70%

Member rating

There are no ratings to display

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 
Old 05-24-2015, 05:55 AM

Here is a flight review with my plane by my flying mentor:

YouTube Video
Old 05-24-2015, 12:17 PM
Charging....

Fun little plane. Some day I am finally going split the fuse and bring the aileron servo rod in a hole or two. I understand the plane needs to be docile to suit most of the target audience but the stock Ail throws are almost non-existent. All in all, a pretty impressive product from our friends over at E-flite.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Super Contributor

As I understand it .... the full size Stearman needed bucketfuls of rudder for a roll of any description !

I think probably similar to the Tiger Moth .... a full-size Tiggie pilot told me years ago after he'd towed a glider up - 'aerobatics was only for the brave and at high altitude in them !'

I think considering what we do with our models compared to their full size counterparts is often amazing. If we flew with similar power to weights, control needs ..... we'd have a really hard time of it !

Nigel
222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-05-2015, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Fun little plane. Some day I am finally going split the fuse and bring the aileron servo rod in a hole or two. I understand the plane needs to be docile to suit most of the target audience but the stock Ail throws are almost non-existent. All in all, a pretty impressive product from our friends over at E-flite.
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
As I understand it .... the full size Stearman needed bucketfuls of rudder for a roll of any description !

I think probably similar to the Tiger Moth .... a full-size Tiggie pilot told me years ago after he'd towed a glider up - 'aerobatics was only for the brave and at high altitude in them !'

I think considering what we do with our models compared to their full size counterparts is often amazing. If we flew with similar power to weights, control needs ..... we'd have a really hard time of it !

Nigel
Good stuff guys! This is still a fun little plane to take up on calm days.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:26 AM

This video was recorded on Turkey Day!

YouTube Video
Comment

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews