Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)
Default UMX SBach 342

So I have taken the UMX SBach through its paces, with a total of 4 flights. Overall, the plane is incredibly fun, and it handles wind well, although don't expect and 3D flying in the wind, just sports flying.

The plane is extremely responsive, yet it is not too difficult to fly. Exponential does little for the rudder, or at least with my orange module, and I would like expo higher, but it does not seem to happen. The plane is very quick, and unless I were hovering everywhere, indoor flight would be intense.

The issues of the plane are simply the wheel pants. They don't stay still and actually caused damage when landing and one caught ground, pulling the plane into a curb. The damage was a popped of pant, damaged spinner and a bit of clipped off foam on main wing tip. Nothing too bad, but it would be nice if the pants stayed still.

In short, the UMX SBach is nowhere near a beginner plane, as it is much too twitchy and too quick for its size. It is a great plane to just toss around and have fun in a small package.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

So the SBach got pretty smacked up today. I was hovering over the field and car came by. It had stop almost, blocked my view and I lost orientation. Snapped the nose off, but a clean break, so Uhu Pore came the rescue. Also a black ink gel pen will too, matches nice with the black to recolor nose and other area damaged. It's not looking perfect now, but if I need to, can always get new parts.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 AM   #3
Bill Gibson

Friends: (1)

What a great flying plane! Sorry about the mishap.....i remember when i managed to break my Beast.......almost a relief actually! Fixed it, and back to flyin! Thats what we do!
Old 04-18-2014, 03:36 AM   #4
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It really is a great flyer, although expo isn't effective on rudder, still don't know why. Especially annoying on ground during take off. Goes to left, and when I use right rudder it kicks too much to the right. I enjoyed hovering until car blocked view. At least break was clean, and plane is already together. Prop is a bit scratched too.

It's funny, I would never have gotten this plane if my grandma hadn't bought me the polecat so she could see my fly at the golf dome. Minis were never much of an interest, but I'm really liking carrying a small plane, plop it on the ground and no takeoff distance really, so I don't need much runway. And can take it off anywhere. I suppose it is far better than the polecat, due to brushless and the stabilization, and I'm glad that I destroyed the polecat in a way.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
Bill Gibson

I dont notice that issue when i take off with my Sbach.....i really wonder why yours is doing that....? Ive gone COMPLETELY INSANE with micros...just too convenient!! Sbach, Yak 54, Beast, Polecat, Sukhoi, etc, etc......they are so much fun to fly and they all fly a little different!
Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 AM   #6
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I'm thinking its because of orange module.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Today was a bad day indeed. The SBach was flying well, but as I went into a dive I had no control. All I could do was cut the throttle, though I am not even sure it cut the throttle at all, but the less damage the better. End result: destroyed front end, requiring a new fuse for sure, snapped prop mount (guess there was still power to the motor), and the vertical stab came out of the fuse, but that is okay, it's going to have to anyway. The horizontal stab seems a tad loose too. The main wings were slightly damaged, just little indents from twigs and such, but if the plane had dove at an angle, it would have been worse. I just don't know what happened, not sure if its the module or the receiver. All controls worked when I got the plane in the field. It was a fair distance away, but if it were a bigger plane it would still be highly visible, so more or less a fair distance for a micro plane.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #8
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

So the SBach was fixed...but it seems the little guy has it in for me. It was windy, flyable for basic flight. I yet again lost reception, ripping the wing apart. Looks fixable luckily. Need a new prop mount too. Reviews state the mounts are far too weak, and I have to agree. The nose want even tweaked yet the mount snapped.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #9
Bill Gibson

Piper, so sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with your Sbach......man, i would seriously be trying to get your RX/TX problem rectified before you fly it again...! Your due for a good day!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It must be interference. Such a small receiver. I have flown it many times, and it is starting to look beat up on wings, and even on the new fuse. Where I fly, there seems to be an area where wind crosses a certain way and pulls the plane up during landing. This resulted in a couple bad landings, tapping wings and nose. There is, however pitting in the foam, maybe from sand hitting it when taking off or landing.

The wings are fixed now, with canopy glue, dries nice and clear and holds well. At some point I'll need new wings.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:39 AM   #11
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I'm having another issue now, the plane doesn't seem to be reaching full throttle, so much so that it has issues doing loops, or knife edges.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:43 AM   #12
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

The SBach is totaled once again. I received a new board, had issues binding it, finally got it to bind. I replaced the whole fuse, wings. I was flying it around today, went through 4 pack, tried hovering and the whole bit. Then suddenly it plowed to the ground. I went to the totaled plane, and zero response. Plugged it in again, still nothing. Then I rebinded it, and it started working again. What is wrong with this plane, does it have a curse on it? I have taken my Pitts through about 50 flights now, and only two crashes due to my fault. I think this SBach's place for the garbage, no sense in fixing it, costs more than a new plane. It is either the board, or the design of the plane that is causing a loss of bind.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes