Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old Today, 03:08 AM   #1
Abuelo

Friends: (0)
Default Magnetic building board

I decided I needed a better building surface than I had been using, a drafting board from high school. Got the idea of a magnetic one from the forum and tracked down the pieces.

The metal surface is from Home Depot, 24" x 36", for $9.34. I cut the plywood base from scrap Baltic birch I had, very slightly oversize, about 1/8", so there would not be any sharp metal edges. As the plywood was slightly warped knew i would need a base of some sort. I found at a Habitat for Humanities ReStore a surplus drawer, about 22" x 36" x 2" high, for $2.00.

I added two drawer interior supports so the plywood would have more contact, glued them all together with Titebond and used finishing nails to pull the plywood level. Once all was setup, nails countersunk and the plywood sanded, I used about half of a pint can of contact cement to attach the metal to the plywood.

The magnets are from Harbor Freight, the four red are welding magnets and provide right angle support and the dark gray ones are for general construction. The latter are 2 for 98Ę but right now are on sale at half price.

The ply and metal is larger than the drawer. I wanted an overhang so I would have a way could easily clamp to the surface. Typically, I clamp a metal yardstick down and build against it when I need something straight, like a wing. Right now I'm building the Murgatroid's wing there.

Photos attached. An easy and quick project with the total cost about $20.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magmetic building board materials.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	177406
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic board complete, with Murgatroid.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	177407

Behind every successful man is a woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
Old Today, 04:54 AM   #2
DEG
AMA 16634

Friends: (8)

great idea and not very expensive to boot.....I like it...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft