Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
barnburner13

Club: The Flying Werevolves
Send a message via AIM to barnburner13
Friends: (3)
Default MCX to MCPX?

Hey guys, I have a MCX and have gotten really comfortable with it. I just bought an MCPX, I was wondering if anyone else has made that step. My batteries are arriving today. (I bought it used). So I am pretty excited.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

Originally Posted by barnburner13 View Post
Hey guys, I have a MCX and have gotten really comfortable with it. I just bought an MCPX, I was wondering if anyone else has made that step. My batteries are arriving today. (I bought it used). So I am pretty excited.
Personally, I did not take that step when I got into heli's......neither of those two models were around at that time. So I started with larger coax models, then Honey Bee type fixed pitch, then 450 CCP's.

If I had to do it over again......those two Blade models and a programmable Spektrum TX/RX set-up would have been the way to go.

If you are thinking about getting serious into the larger heli world, a good route to take today would be a Blade 120 SR and the 200 SR.....the little guys will help and are realtively inexpensive, but the bigger birds fly more predictable and train you a little faster for the jump into collective flight.

Just a thought......

AMA 928214
Old 08-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

I would agree with pizzano The mcpx is a zippy little thing. for your first venture
into collective pitch, I would suggest something just a little bigger for a number of reasons
not the least of which is that it will handle a little bit of wind where the cpx will get blown
around a bit more. Bigger is easier to see and control at a distance and it doesn't take long for the cps go get away. Make sure you get some help if it's available in your area.
flying a collective is kind of different from a co-ax. It is a whole lot less stable so plan
on spending a lot of time just learning to hover it. I would set up the expo a bit to
soften the controls and maybe even limit the throws a bit too.

Good luck.....I have one and it's lots of fun. It wasn't my first collective heli, however.
My first was Blade 400 and then I got the bcx after a LOT of practice. Have fun--let us know how you're doing.

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
barnburner13

I am doing most of my flying indoors right now. So I need a smaller heli. Not to mention the smaller ones are a bit easier on the wallet, haha. I was getting ready to fly yesterday when I realized that some of the connecting "balls" were broke off of my swash plate, so a few more days of waiting around and flying the MCX... Thanks for the advice, I will keep you guys posted on my progress.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Brian VT

Friends: (0)

Smaller means more crash resistant and cheaper to fix. Larger is more stable and easier to see.
You are taking a big leap from coax. to c.p. It ain't easy. Best would be to learn on a sim. first.
I went from mcx2 to msr/120sr to msrx to mcpx/Axe 100cp. I'm still nowhere near comfortable with msrx or cp after 30+ flights. They are so much faster and have no self-righting. Best to fly over grass. Less damage from crashes.
Good luck to you.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

As noted above, the difference between co-axial and CP is trully night and day so be prepared for a shock.
If you fly indoors I guess you are limited to small helis but my personal experience as far as CP helis are concerned is the bigger the better. The bigger ones are so much more stable and give you far more time to think. The little ones are so nervous and twitchy that you need near superhuman reflexes to keep up with them... Or maybe I've got the reaction speed of a Sloth
Old 08-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
barnburner13

I've gotten comfortable with take offs and hovering, bout indoors and out many crashes but a broken tail rotor has been my only damage so far. I really like this bird! I wanted to ask about the charger, it takes a Really long time to charge my batteries even at .7. I'm talking an hour or more...think I have a defective charger?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

If your are using the MCP X 3.7v 25c battery, an hour seems about right. I charge my 3.7v with a E-Flite USB (PC) LiPo charger or my Motorola cell phone charger......depending on the battery, they take btw 45min to an hour to fully charge if discharged safely......E-Flite makes a 4 battery bay charger for the 3.7v. It's way over priced, that's why I have two (USB) chargers and use the cell phone adapter.

AMA 928214
Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

Actually, yeah--an hour is about rigut depending on the state of the battery being charged back up.

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters