Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Change of covering on my Badius...

OK ... as many know - I have the Accipiter Badius mini pattern Ship from Banggood - the older all foam version of the one on Hobby King.

It was supplied without decals ... as a plain white ARF kit. I covered in HK film - but even though looks OK for flight - never really been happy with it. But for others - it proved film could be used on bare foam.

I am now going to remove all film and replace with a more traditional style covering ... silk and PVA.

This will create a skin and give me a surface resistant to damage .... plus a 'canvas' to do my own colour scheme. Yes - to use my airbrush again !

So as she is now :

Start the stripping of film :

Fuselage stripped - needs cleaning up a touch and removal of tail feathers :

Tail feathers cut out ... wing uncovered ... :

I've also decided that I will try make her a trike U/C with a Stinger nose wheel set-up and mains set back a touch.
Will continue ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

The silk is synthetic from local dressmakers .... used for light backing to dresses / window net etc. Close weave and extremely light but strong. $3 for 1m x 3m. PVA is standard wood white PVA glue mixed about 70% PVA and 30% water.

First is one side of fuselage ... hopefully fuselage can be completed with a single wrap around piece avoiding joins except underneath.

Then wing but this time done in two pieces .. bottom first :

Tail feathers are done also one side at a time ...

They will dry overnight and get next parts covered tmrw. Once all dry - then its sand the joints ... maybe add another coat of PVA mix if weave needs more filling.

Tip - Forget Scissors for this stuff ... unless they are very good quality and SHARP ! Best is to cut with sharp new blade in model knife.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Carrying on ...

Trim round all edges - clear the glueing areas and apply other sides material ...

Now wait till later to work on completing the lay-up and then decide on colour scheme.

Nigel

Old 09-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Covering of course does not tighten as in doped old style ... so there are ridges / areas that are not so level.

This will be sanded and then overcoated with another PVA / Water mix to fill / resolve.

Overall she's looking OK and a good resistant skin has formed.

I'm toying with idea to let wife loose with Airbrush ... see what she comes up with !! once all dry and ready for paint.

Nigel

Old 09-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm surprised at lack of comment !!

Nigel

Old 09-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Mivins
Marty

Club: Osprey Homestead FL
Friends: (0)

Nigel: I'm kinda waiting to see how it comes out. I recently used plain copier paper that I just tacked the edges down with about the same mixture, then allowed to dry overnight. Then I sprayed it with Windex and used low heat and it would shrink up quite nicely. It was on an open framework of ribs, but it should work on foam, guess I'll see what you come out with, but I don't like sanding dried glue. Marty
Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)

Looking good Nigel. My one and only foamie is a Multiplex FunJet that I started covering with 1 oz (if I remember right) fiberglass and WBPU. It worked pretty well for me. As for filling the weave I used high fill auto primer and wet sanded between coats. I got the vertical fins smoother than a baby butt. Problem is I lost interest and went on to who knows how many other builds. So far only the fins are ready for paint. I haven't even primed/filled the rest of the plane. Maybe one of these days....

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 09-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

( Quote ) I'm toying with idea to let wife loose with Airbrush ... see what she comes up with !! once all dry and ready for paint.

Nigel

Looking Good Nigel I just found this thread or I would have commented sooner Have your Wife paint it PINK and WHITE LOL

Some Painting Ideas For Her

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Pink ... not really my colour !!

Anyway ...

So all started top put back together ...

First install landing gear mod ..

Check out wing fit ..

Spray up in multi freehand colours ...

Rudder was left of and will be hinged once paint dry ... and sprayed as well.

I have noticed that the silk in places needed more fill of the weave ... I'm hoping that the paint once set - will provide a better base that next coat on top can be OK ...
She will be receiving further coats but not so much to create a glossy plastic model !

Overall ? fairly pleased ... what would I change ?

It needs a better adhesive to tack the edges as the PVA is slow to hold the edges and some have lifted ...

BUT - the overall skinning effect of the foam is well worth it.

The landing gear change has corrected the tail-heavy moment she had very nicely and is a change I would recc'd.

Nigel

Old 09-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

So here she is ready to go ....

Not too bad !!

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft