Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Build Review $100 EDF Build Contest Boeing X-32

I hope I'm not biting of more than I can chew but I think this plane presents a very unique project, should fly very well with all that wing, and could be a relatively simple structure. I confess I already discussed with Chellie, and she gave me what I think is a fantastic idea to make it so the bottom of the fuselage comes off to access the internals. Going down that path, I'm contemplating a lite ply frame holding the edf, battery, electronics and maybe even retracts, with foam sheet covering. I could even incorporate lite ply spars connected to that with an actual airfoil wing instead of flat foam. This would be a great job for Nigel's new laser cutter, but I'll have to do my best with my dremel and some files, I guess. I'm just l looking initially at component placement, cg, and how to incorporate that frame.

And before anyone else posts it, I know this plane had an interesting way of turning many people off. I like it though! But I'll post this before anyone else gets the chance!

Well, here we go!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

That Build should be a Piece of Cake For you Mech, just Make one section at a time and it will all come together That will be a Awesome build

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Ordered this fan/motor unit from Fan Jets USA. While it's not the Haoye units I got from them earlier (Which unfortunately they no longer carry) that have performed so well for so long in my Skyray and F-35, the numbers claim greater thrust with less watts. 43A and 2.4 lbs of thrust! We'll see. The 4s 2200 Zippy compacts I got for those planes also have been extremely dependable, so I'll just use those same batteries.

Found this paper X-32 glider I've printed and cut out already, to get a CG starting point. Also, I've found a thread or 2 on RCG where people have made X-32's. I'll see what they used for CG. I assume things will be similar to my F4D-1 Skyray, but it's wing trailing edge sweeps forward, where the X-32's sweeps aft.

Also might use the AR636 AS3X programmable rx I picked up used from a fellow club member who didn't realize what he was getting was fairly complicated. The hobby shop guy thought it was a direct drop in replacement for the stock Sport Cub one. (The rx's that come with some of their BNF planes are labeled AR636 but not programmable like this one. Why they gave it the same name I'll never know!) You can select 3 flight modes on the fly which you previously programmed, so you can have one flight mode with no AS3X or heading holds or anything for safety.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

Tom, it's just a delta and a dorkfish mixed together. With your skyray experience this should be a no brainer for you. I am looking forward to following your build.
Chris

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 10-07-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Thanks Chris! Like I said, hope I'm not getting in over my head with what I have in mind.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Should be a great build. Im signed up

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #7
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

Good subject. If I were to build a modern era jet, the X-32 would be at the top of the list due to unique appearance and not being modeled often. Love the oddball subjects.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well I made the little glider for some rough cg estimating. It's pretty far fwd as expected in a modern rc fighter. I've estimated a size to match the edf of around 28" wingspan and 31"long. That's not set in stone yet, but I realized it'll be a good match with my Starmax F-35. I was worried about the battery taking precious intake space, but I printed a side view in that estimated full scale and looks like there'll be tons of space. Awaiting the edf arrival to calculate fsa for intake and exhaust sizes. Though I think I'll try to keep the intake scale and cut in gills in the belly if necessary, like I see in some ARF edf's lately.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #9
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Just a little update. The big thing that's been jumbling through my head is build material and method. I finally realized I have a sheet and scraps of 6mm depron left over from the XF5U build. I tried sanding a rounded leading edge and it worked great! And it's quite flexible for the curves, so depron it will be. I'll order some 3mm thick material for skinning. Still intend to use wood spars and gear supports, though judging from my F-35 and Skyray, which have no spars and I've cranked on them pretty hard, the wings shouldn't need super strong spars.

Build method, I'm actually thinking of a built-up wing. I'd like to build in the washout like the full scale one, though I'm wondering how necessary it is, and how hard it will be for me to build 2 identical mirrored wings like that, seeing as I haven't built a wing since the 70's on a Guillows kit. Any tips on that subject would be appreciated. I'm thinking I'd have to cut the ribs and spars with little stand-offs to hold them up at the right angle during the build, then cut them off prior to sheeting?

Ordered retracts, and got a little 1/72 plastic X-32 model for better visualization of the contours. Also calculated desired intake and exhaust areas. I intend to do full ducting. Now I'm wondering if I need to get a CAD program or can do this the old fashioned way. I prefer to just go old fashioned and will start that way and see how it goes.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Hi Mech Normally you can use the Spar for the curvature of the wing, I dont think wash out will be needed, but you add it if you like score the back side of the foam where it will be bent at with a pen and a ruler, use some clear packing tape on the foam on the outside surface to keep the foam from cracking on tight bends, a hot air gun helps to bend foam, use a stiff spar like bass wood or Cf Tube, square or round for strength, sand the CF Tube a little so the glue will stick to it, dont breath the CF dust, its nasty stuff.

some depron foam wing building ideas

http://www.oocities.org/pipeline/hal...579/spars.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1373183&page=2

notice the soldering iron tips on his work bench

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-18-2014, 04:14 AM   #11
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

So use the spar instead of ribs on a foam wing like this? Just bends and glue? It's not a huge wing. Thanks for all the learning material! As for the washout, I'vee read (and experienced on my Skyray) a little up-elevon makes deltas fly better. I thought with washout if might not need it. But then I guess you'd really have to know just how much washout to use. It'll sure be easier without it to build. KISS method! Looking at this plane, I wonder how it possibly flew supersonic!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

By just using a spar, you can build the wing with a full symmetrical air foil or a flat bottom, it just depends on how you bend the foam, for the leading edge, you can use a formed balsa edge with a strip of balsa in the middle for the foam to lay on and glue to. there are all kinds of ways to form foam,that way you dont have to bend a sharp foam edge, have the spar in the foam, not glued in, just tape in temp. to give the foam the angle it needs if using the balsa leading edge method. with the balsa leading edge and spar, now you have a very strong wing. or you can just use a strip of balsa glued to the front of the 2 foam wing sheets and sand the balsa to a rounded off leading edge. Just be creative experiment with a few pieces of scrap foam and balsa, Thats what i do, untill I feel comfortable with the results.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wing.png
Views:	86
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	177948  

Old 10-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Looks like a real challenge. Best of luck, sir!

Old 10-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #14
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I'm liking this technique! Thanks Chellie. I was thinking of the builds I've seen here and looking at some over at Parkjets website and didn't see this one, but I think you've tickled a brain cell because now I think I recall you or someone mention this before. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Looks like a real challenge. Best of luck, sir!
Thanks. That's what I'm sometimes thinking. But I'm really going over ideas in my head, and Chellie's really been a lifesaver when it comes to ideas to simplify this. Your build has flown already and so far mine had been mostly a mental exercise. Maybe I'll fail, but if this turns out close to what I'm thinking, it'll be awesome.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Thanks. That's what I'm sometimes thinking. But I'm really going over ideas in my head, and Chellie's really been a lifesaver when it comes to ideas to simplify this. Your build has flown already and so far mine had been mostly a mental exercise. Maybe I'll fail, but if this turns out close to what I'm thinking, it'll be awesome.

What ever you Do, keep a Positive Mental Attitude, PMA and if you do fail for some reason, no Big Deal, Just go out and buy a New Dress like i do when i fail LOL

I crack myself up Ok, You Can Give the dress to your better Half

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	177950  

Old 10-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Chellie! OK, I'll try, but i don't think that dress matches my eyes!

Don't worry, the PMA is there. It's just a matter of balancing it with some reality in my lack of experience, a part of which is getting myself to not try to be so perfect with things like the aforementioned washout. This ain't Top Gun!
Old 10-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Some build ideas for you mech shows control surfaces and different mix applications, this one is a mid pusher that could be converted to edf

Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #19
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

That's a cute rendition of the X-32, Chellie. Has a really good look in the air. I'll keep it in mind, but for now I'm sticking to the path I've started down.

So the FedEx guy just delivered the foam & coroplast I ordered from RCFoam. (Side ignorant-delivery-guy story: My house has a small enclosed porch, and he left the tall thin box standing against the door that swings outwards.... Here's your sign! I guess it would be OK for someone coming home to get it, but - ) I got some 3mm depron for sheeting and I thought I'd try and play with the coroplast for possible use for the internal fuselage structure. Any input about the stuff? After I ordered it, I read it may be a bit on the heavy side? Haven't even opened the box yet.

Want to get started experimenting with things, but I have a newsletter to put together for our club this weekend (I hate when that happens!) and overtime at work.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #20
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default x-32 CG

Hi Mech Maybe this photo might help with the CG Placement.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	x32-sh1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	178072  

Old 10-25-2014, 04:13 AM   #21
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

OMG Chellie! Where do you keep finding these things? Do you know how many searches I've done and I've never seen that plan. Anyway, that's interesting, because I thought the cg would be more forward, closer to the next former towards the nose. Kind of like the paper test glider I have.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #22
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

OMG Chellie! Where do you keep finding these things? Do you know how many searches I've done and I've never seen that plan. Anyway, that's interesting, because I thought the cg would be more forward, closer to the next former towards the nose. Kind of like the paper test glider I have.
It may be a bit more forward. I found that the geometric formula for determining CG for swept wings places the CG aft. My theory is that at model size, the outer wing area is disproportionately inefficient, when compared with a full scale aircraft. It makes sense, as wings become exponentially inefficient when the chord becomes very short, as on small models.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #23
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Mech I am a EBayer I am a Master at Doing Searches LOL

A Recent Search, Dress with Long sleeves is $395.00 I really like that Dress to Rich for me
The dress with out sleeves is $12.00 out of China, Thats the One I bought, I cant even buy The material to make that dress for $12.00

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brooklynblonde-red-plaid-dress.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	178083   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	178084  

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft