Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-20-2014, 03:27 AM   #1
garyp1029

Friends: (0)
Default EC3 Connector and Wire Size

What size (gauge) wire is normally used with EC3 connectors? What size normally is used on 3s and 4s batteries? Thanks. Gary
Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

EC3 can accept up to 12 gauge. Thats a bit of a tight fit.

There is no real relationship of cell count to wire size. You are more likely to find a relationship between capacity and wire size.

The Sky LiPo 3S and 4S I have between 1800 mah and 3300 mah have wire that would fit the EC3. The 3S 4000 mah through 5000 mah packs have wire that barely fits in the 4mm bullets that come on them. But other brands might use different gauge wire...
Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by garyp1029 View Post
What size (gauge) wire is normally used with EC3 connectors? What size normally is used on 3s and 4s batteries? Thanks. Gary
If you're starting out new, there is a wide variety of connectors available. As for me, I've standardized on the Anderson Power Pole connectors. Far as I can tell, the only company that sells the "Original" APP connectors is alliedelectronics.com.

The wires are crimped in place, and only takes a few seconds per connector.

Anderson Power Poles
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64539

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
EC3 can accept up to 12 gauge. Thats a bit of a tight fit.

There is no real relationship of cell count to wire size. You are more likely to find a relationship between capacity and wire size.

The Sky LiPo 3S and 4S I have between 1800 mah and 3300 mah have wire that would fit the EC3. The 3S 4000 mah through 5000 mah packs have wire that barely fits in the 4mm bullets that come on them. But other brands might use different gauge wire...
I installed the EC5 connectors on a club members ducted fan unit. Each fan pulled 175 Amps! Those EC5 connectors with the batteries #10 wire never even got warm.

DennyV
Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I started out with EC3 about 4 years ago and then regretted it. Disconnecting was always a PITA. Finally got a reverse snap ring pliers from Harbor Frieght.

Been using Deans for the most part for the last 2 years but there are some drawbacks there too. The prongs can come apart on the male end and when they do, it's not pretty. My favorite is actually the XT-60 but it's an HK exclusive just like EC3 was an Eflight exclusive. I think I now have every possible combination of two way adaptors.

I would not feel safe with a Deans or EC3 on a large cell count (> 4S) , High C (> 40C) and high capacity lipos of over 4000 mah.

-Hawk
Old 05-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

You can find the XT-60's on other sites. They are all I use, easy to solder to boot, as the soldering area is solid, so no solder can run through and get n the plug contact points. I have EC5's on my RC car, but for planes, XT-60 only.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

XT60 and EC3 use the same size bullets ... just different plastic.

I wouldn't recommend it, but Deans have been stress tested past 100 amps. the big BVM EDFs I bought came with Deans on them and changing the connectors would have voided the warranty.
They are past the warranty now so I will probably be changing them over to a connector that has more contact area before putting them in the big Me262. (looking at a lighter fan for the plane in the avatar pic)
Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
XT60 and EC3 use the same size bullets ... just different plastic.

I wouldn't recommend it, but Deans have been stress tested past 100 amps. the big BVM EDFs I bought came with Deans on them and changing the connectors would have voided the warranty.
They are past the warranty now so I will probably be changing them over to a connector that has more contact area before putting them in the big Me262. (looking at a lighter fan for the plane in the avatar pic)
Somewhere in youtube is a video where some guy hit the Deans and the "New" Anderson Power Pole connectors with 300 Amps. The Deans failed instantly when the solder melted. The lower quality APP connector with the thinner contact material held in there, with a whole bunch of smoke. Since the Deans units depend on a flat solder surface to carry the 100 Amps, I'd be a little worried about overheating of the unit. There is a fellow club member using the Deans connector on his receiver for a wet turbine model. During power up, that Deans connector decided to open up. Didn't take long to find that the factory overheated one of the pins during the soldering process, and one pin had virtually zero contact pressure. The APP's are crimped, eliminating this potential issue.

As far as that goes, I'm using the "Original" APP connectors available from www.alliedelectronics.com. Those original units have 50% thicker contacts than the rest of the APP units. The peak current on my giant scale model is 81 Amps, and that is about as high as I'd go with the APP units.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64539

On my gasoline engine/alternator 80 Amp DC source, I had a Maxx products APP connector carrying a constant 50 Amps. It overheated, and melted the plastic shell. On the other end of the same #12 wire, was the Allied version of APP, no problem. If you drill down to the factory specs on the cheaper APP connectors, they are only rated for 35 Amps, versus 45 Amps for the Allied units.

At any rate, the APP units only allow the use of #12 wire or smaller. Trying to use #10 with the APP units won't work.

As indicated previously in this thread, if your model is running perhaps 100 Amps plus, those EC5 connectors do very well. We ran 175 Amps through several of those EC5 connectors, no problems at all. The EC5 connector is designed to insert your copper wire into a tube, then fill it with solder. Compare that to the Deans, where the wire is "Flat" soldered to the Deans pin.

The APP Series II connectors can handle a few hundred amps with no problems, since they can handle up to #4 copper wire. That connector is close to what's used in a battery operated forklift.

Just wish APP would come out with a Series I "and a half".

DennyV
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

I'm an EC3 Guy. Started with the E-Flite stuff but then switched to the version available at Hobby King to save some money.

It's really a question of how much current is going to flow. According to E-Flite/Horizon Hobby, the EC3 connector is rated for upto 60 Amps. The largest wire they sell with that connector is 13 guage. Although I've stuffed 12 guage in as well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/EFLAEC301

Most of my medium / lighter duty stuff is on 16 guage wire. In general I've just matched the size of wire that came on the battery I'm using (planning to use) the few times I've added my own wire somewhere.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 05-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
I'm an EC3 Guy. Started with the E-Flite stuff but then switched to the version available at Hobby King to save some money.

It's really a question of how much current is going to flow. According to E-Flite/Horizon Hobby, the EC3 connector is rated for upto 60 Amps. The largest wire they sell with that connector is 13 guage. Although I've stuffed 12 guage in as well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/EFLAEC301

Most of my medium / lighter duty stuff is on 16 guage wire. In general I've just matched the size of wire that came on the battery I'm using (planning to use) the few times I've added my own wire somewhere.

Steve
I've got a few of those connectors, they are well made.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions