Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
sportflyer

Friends: (0)
Default optima and minima receivers with Spectra module

My TX is a Royal EVO 9 converted to 2.4G using a Hitec Spectra Module. Currently I am using Optima Rcvrs . However since I don't use telemetry , I would like to use the new lower cost Minima Rcvrs or its equivalent. I understand that I need to upgrade the firmware of the Spectra Module to make it compatible with both type of receivers. I will be using my Optima Recvrs for my existing planes and intend to use Minima ( or Equiv) for my new planes .My question to folks who have used both types of receivers is how does the TX know which receiver type is being used during the binding process? Is there a selector somewhere in the TX or is it automatic and the TX just transmit both types of protocols? Tks
Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

Hi,
If the module for your Evo works the same as for the Aurora9 (and I assume it does), then the attached .pdf might help. Basically, you hold the bind button on the module down while powering up the transmitter. You want the LED on the module to be blinking blue. If it is blinking red, you hold the bind button down for 2 seconds until it changes to blue. When blinking blue, that will allow you to bind a Minima receiver. If you need to update the firmware, you will need the HP-22 from Hitec, and you supply your own USB/microusb cord, which will plug into the module. The update software can be found on the hitecrcd.com site.

I am by no means an expert on the module or the Aurora9, but if I can help any further I'd be happy to do so. Please note when you look at the .pdf, when you get to the "flowchart" on page 2, it basically has the Minima instructions on the left, and the Optima instructions on the right. I found it rather confusing at first.

I also have recently purchased some very small, light weight four channel clone receivers from Altitude Hobbies:http://www.altitudehobbies.com/hitec...compatible-rxs The receivers bound very well, and seem to work just fine.

Mark

Addendum: For some reason WF won't let me attach and upload the .pdf file. It is available on the Hitec site: http://hitecrcd.com/files/Spectra2.4Manual_EN_v3.pdf
I'd suggest you just download and save it to your computer.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
sportflyer

I understand the instructions. Does this mean that each time I use a different rcvr from the previous one , I need to go through the binding process again ? ex. I change the plane from one using the Optima rvcr to another plane using Minima receiver. If so , its a real pain ...another thing to remember. It would be nice if the TX can remember depending on the plane number in memory.

Yes , I am planning to use the 8 ch receivers as from Altitude or Aloft hobbies.Prices seem very good .
Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
buzzltyr

No, once bound to the transmitter, you don't have to do anything with the module or receiver again. It's just the binding process that requires the switch from Optima to Minima (or vice versa). The Aurora doesn't have model match ala Spektrum. Once bound to the transmitter, the receiver should always work with your module/transmitter, regardless of model memory. I usually buy several receivers at a time, and bind them to my transmitter, even if I am not going to use them immediately, to cut down the amount of module resets between Optima/Minima I have to do.

Mark
Old 09-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #5
sportflyer

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
No, once bound to the transmitter, you don't have to do anything with the module or receiver again. It's just the binding process that requires the switch from Optima to Minima (or vice versa). The Aurora doesn't have model match ala Spektrum. Once bound to the transmitter, the receiver should always work with your module/transmitter, regardless of model memory. I usually buy several receivers at a time, and bind them to my transmitter, even if I am not going to use them immediately, to cut down the amount of module resets between Optima/Minima I have to do.

Mark
Thanks . I am now encouraged to try the 8 ch compatible receivers. My next project is a twin and I plan to use 2 receivers

Just for interest ,do you think we can use Optima and Minima receivers simultaneously in a 2 receiver setup?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
buzzltyr

I don't see why two receivers wouldn't work, one Optima and one Minima. I would think the channel mapping would have to be the same for both, though.

Mark
Old 09-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
sportflyer

I will try it out when I get the Minima compatible rcvrs . Tks
Old 10-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
sportflyer

I don't see why two receivers wouldn't work, one Optima and one Minima. I would think the channel mapping would have to be the same for both, though.

Mark

Just received 2 Minima compatible 8 ch receivers from Aloft Hobbies. They bind almost instantaneously . When binding was complete the super fast blinking green LED looks like it was a flicker. It would be nice if it were a bit slower ie actual fast blinks vs flicker. Didn't do range test yet but I assume should be fine. I will do it later.

I also confirm that both Optima and Minima receivers work simultaneously . So mix and match is fine so long as the channel mapping is suitable .

Since I wont need any Telemetry for my models , these Minima compatible receivers will be perfect and very good costs compared to Original Hitec Minima receivers. Added bonus is that the receivesr are 8 ch
Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
buzzltyr

Sounds like you are good to go. I do like the small four channel receivers. Haven't tried one of the eight channel "clones" yet, as I still have a bunch of Optima 6's and 7's that suit most of my models.

Mark
Old 10-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
sportflyer

Sounds like you are good to go. I do like the small four channel receivers. Haven't tried one of the eight channel "clones" yet, as I still have a bunch of Optima 6's and 7's that suit most of my models.

Mark
These are my first clone receivers. I believed they are FRSKY designs with 3rd party firmware to make them compatible with Hitec. They even have a version that is compatible with both Hitec and Futaba systems.

Have you looked at the Teranis TX from FRSKY? Great TX with programming method very similar to my Royal EVO 9 . Fabulous flexibility . My flying buddy is using one. He loves it. If I were to buy another TX , I would go for the Teranis. Firmware is open source as well.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
buzzltyr

I have read parts of a few discussions of the Taranis. It certainly is an interesting bit of tech. But frankly, probably a bit more DIY than I want to tackle at this point. I have my A9 for the bulk of my planes, and a DX6i for my micros, and I'm pretty much satisfied with them at this point.

Mark
Old 10-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
sportflyer

I have read parts of a few discussions of the Taranis. It certainly is an interesting bit of tech. But frankly, probably a bit more DIY than I want to tackle at this point. I have my A9 for the bulk of my planes, and a DX6i for my micros, and I'm pretty much satisfied with them at this point.

Mark
You are right . No point to switch from A9 to Teranis unless your current TX is dead. Too much effort . I used to be a Futaba fan , used them for years till I stumbled on the EVO9 . I liked the EVO 9 programming method because it very logical ....no Master/slave type programming. Good for complex multi input servo programming.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros