Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Panther

Friends: (1)
Default Getting the Most from my 9X

I bought a new 9x back in November '12. It came with a 8 ch receiver and was only about $50.00.
I have flown it numerous times but felt something lacking with it. While trying to program it for a Gyro I found the Pit Trim Potentiometer was jittery. I was going to use that channel for gain adjustment, however I just used Hov Throttle pot instead. ( I actually opened the pot and found a bubble on the track.)
I had thought of using this radio in my T28 Trojan that at present is using an Optic 6 system, but the channel setup just didn't allow me to do what I wanted.
I kept thinking of all those useless (to me) helicopter potentiometers fitted to the 9X and wishing they were more versatile. Now I don't want to upgrade this to ER9X as I am happy with the program as it is but even if I did upgrade it I am still stuck with those pots.
Brainwave....!! Rip out the dud pot and replace it with a switch.
I opened the back up and measured the pot resistance, (5K Ohms) and at center 0 Ohms. I needed a switch and two 2.5k Ohm resistors and some heatshrink. I rummaged around and found a new switch but out of all my resistors I had, no 2.5k ohms. Hmmm. What to do. Then I remembered I had a computer power supply board under the bench and viola! there were three 2.5k ohm resistors on the board. The switch had 3 contacts so I soldered a resistor on each of the outer contacts (black wire and red wire) and the brown wire direct to the center contact on the switch. All done. Put it back together and switched on, all good. Set up receiver and servos and programmed Pit Trim to ch8 and woohoo I have a true extra channel that I can use by flicking a switch.
I checked that the servos were not binding at the ends but there was plenty of room for them to overshoot.
I can now use all 8 channels on the receiver and have made it a (to me) a much more useable system as I will not be using it for helicopters ever. I may even change Hover Throttle pot to a switch yet, maybe a 3 position sw for flaps or whatever. I use the current 3 pos switch for Gyro 2D 3D so another 3 position switch would be great.
I am not a technician just an old retired child but at the price of these Systems I wasn't too frightened to give it a go.
Cheers
Old 04-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Interesting .......... I have a pot on my 9x that has a spot that it jumps a couple of points when turned ... so servo is smooth then jumps then smooth for rest .. reckon a dirty or cracked track in the pot.

I would love to swap it out to sort ... but don't have the specs of the original pots ...

My bad pot is the front left one inside of the elevator Dual rate switch.

mmmmm switch .... mmmmm interesting !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Panther

Same pot by the sound of it solentlife. The pot is a miniature 5k

Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Interesting .......... I have a pot on my 9x that has a spot that it jumps a couple of points when turned ... so servo is smooth then jumps then smooth for rest .. reckon a dirty or cracked track in the pot.

I would love to swap it out to sort ... but don't have the specs of the original pots ...

My bad pot is the front left one inside of the elevator Dual rate switch.

mmmmm switch .... mmmmm interesting !

Nigel
Bad pots on a transmitter less than a half year old

H'mmm. Those things should last the life of the transmitter. Quality pots have multiple wipers on the carbon pot element.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Panther

These pots are a single wiper, single track and cheap. lol It is hard to find small pots here that would fit in. That is what started me thinking.
cheers
Doug
Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Bad pots on a transmitter less than a half year old

H'mmm. Those things should last the life of the transmitter. Quality pots have multiple wipers on the carbon pot element.
It was like it when I took it out of box .. nothing to do with use.

Hank ... no need for the AGHAST smilies ... the radio is fine as the pot is unused ... and for $40 - still a steal at the price.
I may swap out the pot with a new one ... as Panther says - at such price - it's worth opening up and doing.
What stops me is trying to get a replacement locally ... I don't want the radio out of commission for any time waiting for the pot.

I have to say that on my 1980's JR - it had thumb sliders (actually tabbed wheel that protruded through a slot... you slid the tab up / down to adjust similar to old mechanical trims) ... I prefer those to the pots. They had instant visual recognition of position.

Nigel

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

I have to say that on my 1980's JR - it had thumb sliders (actually tabbed wheel that protruded through a slot... you slid the tab up / down to adjust similar to old mechanical trims) ... I prefer those to the pots. They had instant visual recognition of position.

Nigel

Nigel
Yeah, those sliders worked nicely, but they were kind of hard to seal against contamination getting inside them.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Panther

Just sold my 9X to a neighbour for $50. For his money he got a Tx LiPo battery and 7 receivers as well. ( 3 x 9 Ch and 4 x 6 Ch Rxs)
I kept my FrSky module and refitted the 9X one. He is happy
I only use my Taranis now so it was just sitting unused.
Gotta say, it has served me well.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I have 2 9x radios ... still with bog-standard factory firmware .... it's years of use now on both and no problems. OK - that pot is still there - just never really needed to sort it. I did buy a bagful of 9xr switches / pots which I believe fit ... but they have stayed in the bag.
I do use FrSky though in them.

About a year ago - I decided to get a 9xr ... ended up with 3 of them !! What's happening now is I swap a model over from 9x to 9xr - keeping model on both till I'm happy withy the 9xr mixing. Then delete the 9x slot. Eventually I will put the FlySky module back in and have one 9x exclusively for WL Toys gear and crap stuff. At present - I fly the FlySky module in one of the 9xr's ... caters for my Wl Toys 911 and 959 as well as my spare 450 heli with FlySky 8ch in it.

Even though I have latest er9x in the 9xr's - I really have no reason to swap out the factory firmware in the 9x's ...

So for me - they've lasted years and still work same as day I got them. I've been rough with them ... they have same NiMH cells in as day I first put in ... they've been out in Baltic winters and summers ... and done their job.

Now how much would branded radios cost me ... that's five 8ch radios with 45 models all kitted out with about half on 7 - 8ch Rx's and rest on 4ch Rx's... ? I hate to even think about it ... but a LOT MORE than it has with my 9x's and 9xr's ...

Nigel

Old 12-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron

Hey Nigel,
Chew on this one:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/79p-fs-i10-10ch-remote.html

Yabba Dabba Do !
Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Hey Nigel,
Chew on this one:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/79p-fs-i10-10ch-remote.html

Yabba Dabba Do !
I've been watching the i10 for over a year now and to be honest - I'm a bit dissapointed in it.

Reviews and various threads elsewhere have thrown up odd bits that are ?? .... It's non modular ... it's a price that really you might be better of with a Taranis ...

The big point of FlySky 9x and HK's revamp of it to 9xr - was it's adaptability and modifications to suit anything a user wanted. The i10 in my view is a poor step for FlySky and I cannot think it will have the sales and popularity of it's cousins.

That's my opinion ...

Cheers
Nigel

Old 12-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
Panther

Hobby King are selling them. I do like the colour screen but would find it fiddly and I would have to wear my glasses to adjust settings, probably my close-ups.
RXs are not a bad price either but as Nigel says, it's not modular.
May be handy as a second unit.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:18 AM   #13
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Do you really need a color touch screen? Seems like you give up a lot. I hope the QC is better than the 9x.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Do you really need a color touch screen? Seems like you give up a lot. I hope the QC is better than the 9x.
Seems they make a lot of fuss about the screen ... but in reality it's a 1/4VGA job ... which most people now have moved on from ...

Colour would mean harder to see in daylight.

QC ? I think that's an old banana and not really an issue here ?

Nigel

Old 12-31-2014, 05:46 AM   #15
Panther

Maybe I should have said, I like the idea of a colour screen.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros