Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)
Default Spektrum DX9

Well this is certainly a nice surprise an all new DX9. Looks VERY nice.....

Great price point too. Here are the early stats:
http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...rodID=SPMR9900

Really like the voice stuff, and sliders. Mmmmm nice.... 250 model support that should hold most of us.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dx9c.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	170096   Click image for larger version

Name:	dx9d.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	170097   Click image for larger version

Name:	dx9e.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	170098   Click image for larger version

Name:	dx9f.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	170099   Click image for larger version

Name:	dx9g.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	170100  

Name:	dx9a.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	170101   Click image for larger version

Name:	dx9b.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	170102  
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Club: Central Delaware Parkflyers Association
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (13)

I really like the looks and features of this radio. I have had some issues with my DX8 so I can see myself upgrading in the near future. I wsould most likely wait until the second version of firmware based on previous experience with issues on new releases.

A.M.A Park Pilot Partner / Wattflyer Mentor
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Dang! I think we'll be seeing a few Dx8's showing up in the For Sale sections...
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Dang! I think we'll be seeing a few Dx8's showing up in the For Sale sections...
Yep....

If it was out when I bought my DX18 I would have done this. It has all the features I need want, and 9ch is plenty for my planes.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Hey Futaba! are you listening? Hello ? LOL Looks very nice. Lots of nice creature features.

How might it stack up against the new Frsky Taranis?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

Yep, that looks real nice!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Hey Futaba! are you listening? Hello ? LOL
Yea, if you would have told me 12 years ago Futaba would be left in the dust as a RC radio supplier I would have laughed you out of the shop. While they have very capable boxes, they are just not leading in the space, in any way. Follow yes, lead not so much. All IMHO obviously.

Looks very nice. Lots of nice creature features.
I agree really like the looks with the smoked cover like the very expensive QQ DX18. Nice indeed. The feature list is all most anyone would ever need. I wish it was out when I went to the DX18 as this would have been more than sufficient for me.

The native voice stuff is really super cool as well. Wireless training is not a first but certainly nice as well. Tactic I think was first with that. So Hobbico got that right!

I really like the Taranis - but I think it misses the mark for about 90% of the modelers. That due to the complexity of programing. I would love to play with one and see how tough the basics are - the stuff we all use like:
  • Model select
  • Servo EPA
  • Servo reversing
  • Expo
  • Switch assigments for expo and flight modes
  • Timer(s)
  • Pre programed mixes
  • User programed mixes
  • Switch assignments
  • Flight modes
I want to check all this stuff - on the TX itself, not with the companion software. Most of us program in the field after all. I regularly leave my TX in program mode - fly, make adjustments, land, make adjustments, land etc. I must admit I have even made mix adjustments IN FLIGHT on some systems. YIKES!!! But again most of us program, or at least fine tune in the field, not on the computer.

So overall quality and service are a big question mark also. I have no doubt FrSky will manage through the early pains of a new TX. But this is their first box, I am happy to wait until v2 or v3 (or later). And sure enough just as suspected they are having issues. On the large RCG thread they are reporting QC issues, shipping damage to the nice case it comes with and overall issues with the supply chain.

Mike
Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yeah, if this had been available a few months back i'd have thought long and hard on the DX18. The '9' adds the features that is most lacking on the 8, that's side sliders. the voice stiff is a potentially interesting feature but i'm not sure if a plain buzzer or vibrate alert might be more practical in the real world? i guess you can always turn the voice off if you wish. Of course the 18 still has many features that the 9 lacks, but i probably wont use most of them, ever.

i wonder how long it will be before we see a 'DX18 version II' to add these new features?.. seems kinda strange to have features on the mid range model that the high end model lacks.

PS.. i dont think the case is actually 'smoked' i think it's just the lighting in the front on photo. if you look at some of the other views it looks plain silver.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Really I was thinking it was a bit darker but it is hard to say...

Agree the voice is not an option on the DX18 it lacks that. I guess the new model even the lower target model in this case all eventually take over with a feature set, but yes I suspect the DX18s will be out in a few months.

And yes I would have had the DX8, except for the sliders! I was SO MAD there were not on the 8. They are in an interesting spot on the DX9 though - might even be better than the sides. Not sure...

Mike
Old 08-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

What the Taranis, and to some extent the 9x/9xr, with open source software has done is force the established players to step up their game and put a lid on prices.

Consider that a Taranis comes with a 16 ch (with s-bus) receiver and is $200. The DX9 looks very feature rich compared to the DX8 for only $50 more. In a pre-Taranis world, I'll bet the DX9 would have cost significantly more.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

How much are full range rx's in the Spectrum world?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Turner
Super Contributor

They start at $29.99 for four channels and go up from there.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Or the Hobbyking 'Orange' Spektrum compatibles start at $12.. And they are actually pretty good.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #14
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
What the Taranis, and to some extent the 9x/9xr, with open source software has done is force the established players to step up their game and put a lid on prices.

Consider that a Taranis comes with a 16 ch (with s-bus) receiver and is $200. The DX9 looks very feature rich compared to the DX8 for only $50 more. In a pre-Taranis world, I'll bet the DX9 would have cost significantly more.
I wonder to what extent since smart companies have a target price in mind VERY early in development. I get where you are coming from but also don't know that Spektrum really considers FrSky to be a key player (at this stage). This is their first TX after all.

While final price is not done until close to release the DX9 has been in development for a good long while now. I suspect they had the target price well before the tag was placed on the Taranis.

I think rather than price what the Taranis brings is feature set - than helps them focus on cool new stuff.

Sadly - I think FrSky has some "issues" to fix as well. Gimbal quality is getting more than a couple of guys a bit unhappy.

It is an interesting thought though.

Mike
Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #15
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks guys. It's hard being a lone wolf in the Spektrum world. Though the Taranis concept
is fascinating, it's always nice to be able to communicate with others at the field in the same language. Futaba and Spektrum are 180 degrees apart and I get a lot blank looks when asking a question. I'm afraid I'd be in the same bubble with the Taranis.

So, Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas is a Spektrum DX9. Also, could you throw-in a few receivers ? A case would be nice too. I promise to sell one of my Futaba's and a bunch of fasst rx's I won't buy another ARf until Spring. Promise.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #16
Turner
Super Contributor

I bought my DX7 some months after the DX8 was released and have never regretted it. The DX18 seemed to have everything I would ever need but also much more than I will ever need and at a hefty price. The DX9 looks perfect for me. Looking forward to looking through the owners manual.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #17
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I wonder to what extent since smart companies have a target price in mind VERY early in development. I get where you are coming from but also don't know that Spektrum really considers FrSky to be a key player (at this stage). This is their first TX after all.

While final price is not done until close to release the DX9 has been in development for a good long while now. I suspect they had the target price well before the tag was placed on the Taranis.

Mike
That was my point. There's a $100 jump from the DX7 to DX8 but only $50 to the DX9. I was speculating that the retail price may been planned to be significantly more but was reduced as a response to the market in general and open source products in particular.

Most people are not ready to climb the learning curve to open source radios, at least not to save a $100 or two. Most flyers don't need anything more than a capable 6 or 8 channel radio. But customers don't like to feel like they are being cheated either. The existence of a radio like the Taranis for $200 with the features it has limits what Spektrum can charge to it's loyal customers.

Don't get me wrong, I fly Spektrum and Frsky and like them both. Spektrum has fantastic customer service. But anything big, fast, or expensive now gets Frsky. I didn't buy the first batch of Taranis and wouldn't buy the first run of the DX9 either.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
That was my point. There's a $100 jump from the DX7 to DX8 but only $50 to the DX9. I was speculating that the retail price may been planned to be significantly more but was reduced as a response to the market in general and open source products in particular.
I think you are right. personally I think price is set as much by competitive forces in the market as by actual production cost of the product. Horizon see these new products coming on the marked, recognize the threat, and counter it by releasing new tech and pricing their products to compete. If not for the competition stepping up their game i dont think we would have seen the DX9 for a good while and it would have been more expensive.

The price point of the DX9 does give Spektrum a few issues with their product range. The DX8 looks like poor value and a little pointless, and the DX18 seems ridiculously expensive and lacking in the latest features (voice and wireless training). The idea of releasing major new features in the mid range products and playing catch up with the high end product is very strange and I don't think Horizon would have had it planned out that way if their hand had not been forced.

I actually bought a DX18 a few weeks ago, I love it' it's a great Tx, but the DX9 actually gives me all the added features that I was looking for when I upgraded. If I were to make the upgrade today, given the gulf in price, it would probably have been to the DX9 rather than the 18, and I think most people would be in the same boat.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
PS.. i dont think the case is actually 'smoked' i think it's just the lighting in the front on photo. if you look at some of the other views it looks plain silver.
Confirmed it is smoked as the DX18QQ - NICE.....

Pic from IRCHA Heli event here in the US. So to be fair it is pre-production but suspect it will be the same...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dx9 smoke.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	170148  
Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Club: Monticello Model Masters
Friends: (0)

If not for the competition stepping up their game i dont think we would have seen the DX9 for a good while and it would have been more expensive.
What do you think I've been working on for the past year since we released the DX18? I assure you, the DX9 isn't just an afterthought.

Andy
Old 08-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I think the success of the DX9 will be at the expense of the Futaba 8fg and 14SG

I'm a 6ex user looking to upgrade and it will be the DX9
Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
What do you think I've been working on for the past year since we released the DX18? I assure you, the DX9 isn't just an afterthought.

Andy
I dont doubt you have been working on it for a while, but i still suspect the timing of the release and the price was influenced by market forces.. There is no shame in that.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Confirmed it is smoked as the DX18QQ - NICE.....

Pic from IRCHA Heli event here in the US. So to be fair it is pre-production but suspect it will be the same...
I stand corrected, smoked it is....
Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I dont doubt you have been working on it for a while, but i still suspect the timing of the release and the price was influenced by market forces.. There is no shame in that.
I have been a lot of years now in the product release game/marketing. I suspect Spektrum is like about any other company. Your releases have LITTLE to do with the competition rather when you can get it out the door based on your own timelines.

Sometimes you do "pitch" differently in the marketplace if you are surprised by something but I don't think that is the case with FrSky. My bet is they will remain very much a niche system - whereas Spektrum is in the volume market.

Speeding up releases generally is not an option unless you have money to burn. Smart companies balance release timelines, money and market. I think Horizon is pretty smart.

Mike
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #25
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Club: Monticello Model Masters
Friends: (0)

I dont doubt you have been working on it for a while, but i still suspect the timing of the release and the price was influenced by market forces..
It's your right to be incorrect. No shame in that either

Andy

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros