Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
time bandit

Friends: (12)
Default What covering iron to use??

Since this is the scratch built/kit built forum I thought I would ask this question here. What covering iron do you think is or like the best? I'ts been a long time since I covered a model and I don't remember which iron I used back then. I will have to buy one soon and I'm not sure which to get.

What was I thinking?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 AM   #2
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

I use the hanger 9 iron with sock. Never used a heat gun. Never had a need.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 AM   #3
suresharp

Friends: (1)

Wrongway gave you a good choice. However most Irons are good if thethey have a dial your heat choice. A better question is For the covering you choose What heat is the right temp for aplication? The instruction sheet for the material is inclosed with the roll.;^)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

I have used a cheap travel iron for over 20 years... cost me $1 or $2 at a garage sale.

For Monokote, Towerkote and Econokote: Yellow is a temperature indicator color. They turn darker and darker orange after you have hit the temperature for making the adhesive stick. At almost brown the covering melts. They turn back to yellow when cool.

Don't buy the covering iron socks... use pieces of old T-shirt.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

I started with an old sealing iron used by butchers, you could buy a new sole plate better suited to covering, then I bought a couple of other ones.
Then I bought a 21st Century covering iron at a model swap meet. Now the others are just backups. The temp adjustment is much better than my old irons. The flashing light lets you know when you have reached the temp. It has worked very well for many years.

I use pieces of T-shirts or baby socks on the iron, but for a totally scratch free finish. I prefer to hold the cloth or soft paper stationary on the surface and move the iron around on the other side.

I like to check my iron temp with a non-contact infrared thermometer. Let the iron run for about 15-20 minutes to stabilize the temperature throughout the irons surface.

I use a model heat gun for general shrinking and a Darice Heat Tool for details and wing tip work. It is made for greeting card making. (my wife's hobby) It has a much smaller shaft of hot air, making it much better for small things.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I use a Domestic iron specially bought for my use .. saves Wife moaning about the coloured adhesive left on shirts etc.

But the best are the designed Covering irons .. it's not so much brand - but the shape of the 'shoe' and control of temp.

The Domestic iron does a reasonable job - but it doesn't get into the nooks and crannies that a Covering Iron can.

I used to have the Solarfilm Iron years ago and I wish I had never given up all my gear !!

I also suggest a Heat Gun is a good tool ... I know some say an iron is all you need ... but actually - a heat gun is a good tool because the idea is :

Seal the covering around the edges but NOT in centre / ribs etc. Apply wafted heat by the heat gun across the covering so that it tightens down overall ...

The difference against an irons overall shrink can be significant - especially on a traditional ribbed wing etc. It also allows you to correct any twist or deformity caused by unequal shrinkage .. you warm the covering to allow it to stretch or to shrink where necessary against you applying pressure ... an iron cannot do this well. Keep pressure on while covering cools.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I started with an old sealing iron used by butchers, you could buy a new sole plate better suited to covering, then I bought a couple of other ones.
Then I bought a 21st Century covering iron at a model swap meet. Now the others are just backups. The temp adjustment is much better than my old irons. The flashing light lets you know when you have reached the temp. It has worked very well for many years.

I use pieces of T-shirts or baby socks on the iron, but for a totally scratch free finish. I prefer to hold the cloth or soft paper stationary on the surface and move the iron around on the other side.

I like to check my iron temp with a non-contact infrared thermometer. Let the iron run for about 15-20 minutes to stabilize the temperature throughout the irons surface.

I use a model heat gun for general shrinking and a Darice Heat Tool for details and wing tip work. It is made for greeting card making. (my wife's hobby) It has a much smaller shaft of hot air, making it much better for small things.

Harbor Freight has a decent infra-red thermometer. Note that these units are not very accurate when aimed at "Shiny" metal surfaces. You need a dark surface, or at least a tan or slightly shaded surface. I've got one of these units.

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...9465-8905.html

FYI, the exact temperature of a monokote iron really isn't that critical. Just make it hot enough to allow instant "Tacking" of your shrink covering to the model. Heat guns work well, but be aware, get to hot with one, and you can have an instant one inch diameter hole in the middle of your monokote. Yeah, I've done it, once or twice.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (28)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post

Don't buy the covering iron socks... use pieces of old T-shirt.
Amen on that Huber!!!

Also old cotton sox. Only 100% cotton.

Regards
Jimmy

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft