Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)
Default Blade 350 QX BnF

While I was at my LHS yesturday morning picking up wheels for the T-28 (Hobbytown), a Horizon test pilot (salesman) was there dropping off 4 brand new Blade 350 QX's and giving test rides out in the back parking lot.......I was lucky enough to be asked to fly it......so I did....lol. (the guys there know of my CCP experience), but you DO NOT need any heli flight time to fly this bird in "smart mode" (plank experience would be advisable).....it's just plain amassing!

After the Horizon guy ran me through the settings he had programmed on his Spektrum DX8 (yes, it will require a little programming) and tossed her up in "smart mode", he handed me the TX while it was hovering........OMG.........I fell in love!....it has three different flight modes, smart, stability and agility.....in agility, she'll flop and flip around just like you'd expect a CCP bird to do......in a set of skilled hands (like the Horizon pilot), she'll even knife edge pirouette (if that's your thing)....lol

I won't ramble on about it's "smart" technology......but I don't think anyone could scratch build a quad as sound, tech advanced or friendly for $419.00. It even comes with a GoPro camera adapter........ With the 2200mah 3s, and camera attached, flight times have averaged around 10min's....and very stable.....not bad for all that weight.

If I had the coin, this would be the bird that would get me back into multi-rotors.......but I'd have to move fast, there selling out everywhere. 3 out of the 4 brought into the shop that day were already sold!

Heli and flight vid guys need to check out this Blade......just amassing!

A BIG shout out to the Horizon salesman and Hobbytown guys....they made my day!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-BLH7880

AMA 928214
Old 09-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

View jasmine2501's Gallery4
Send a message via Yahoo to jasmine2501
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (19)

It is super fun to fly and inspires confidence in smart mode. The return to home features works pretty well too.

Get your Strykers and come on y'all... let's have a furball!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Club: AMA member since 2011
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
While I was at my LHS yesturday morning picking up wheels for the T-28 (Hobbytown), a Horizon test pilot (salesman) was there dropping off 4 brand new Blade 350 QX's and giving test rides out in the back parking lot.......I was lucky enough to be asked to fly it......so I did....lol. (the guys there know of my CCP experience), but you DO NOT need any heli flight time to fly this bird in "smart mode" (plank experience would be advisable).....it's just plain amassing!

After the Horizon guy ran me through the settings he had programmed on his Spektrum DX8 (yes, it will require a little programming) and tossed her up in "smart mode", he handed me the TX while it was hovering........OMG.........I fell in love!....it has three different flight modes, smart, stability and agility.....in agility, she'll flop and flip around just like you'd expect a CCP bird to do......in a set of skilled hands (like the Horizon pilot), she'll even knife edge pirouette (if that's your thing)....lol

I won't ramble on about it's "smart" technology......but I don't think anyone could scratch build a quad as sound, tech advanced or friendly for $419.00. It even comes with a GoPro camera adapter........ With the 2200mah 3s, and camera attached, flight times have averaged around 10min's....and very stable.....not bad for all that weight.

If I had the coin, this would be the bird that would get me back into multi-rotors.......but I'd have to move fast, there selling out everywhere. 3 out of the 4 brought into the shop that day were already sold!

Heli and flight vid guys need to check out this Blade......just amassing!

A BIG shout out to the Horizon salesman and Hobbytown guys....they made my day!

Bought one. Already I'm out of propellers and HH is all back-ordered on them. Is this due to demand or is there a problem with them?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Pizzano,

Have you flown any other multi rotors? I'm just wondering if the 'Smart' thing is really any different to the self leveling functionality that most multi-rotor control boards provide.

For instance my tri-rotor has the cheap Hobbyking KK2 board in it. With self leveling turned on all I do is release the sticks and it returns to straight and level flight (how strongly it tries to self level is adjustable in the programming). On the other hand if I flick the switch on the Tx to turn self level off and I'm on my own, more like a CCP heli.

Is 'Smart' any different?

Steve
Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

For quads I've only flown the SQ1 mini quad. I've flown a bunch of the cheap helis.
It took me a couple of crashes to sort out the smart mode cause I'm dumb sometimes. It will hold altitude and position with GPS in smart mode.
It will return home in smart mode. Instruction say it will do everthing stability mode that it does in smart mode except auto return and position hold cause the GPS is off in stability mode.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Bobdaeronort View Post
For quads I've only flown the SQ1 mini quad. I've flown a bunch of the cheap helis.
It took me a couple of crashes to sort out the smart mode cause I'm dumb sometimes. It will hold altitude and position with GPS in smart mode.
It will return home in smart mode. Instruction say it will do everthing stability mode that it does in smart mode except auto return and position hold cause the GPS is off in stability mode.
Thanks, seems that 'stability mode' is basically the same as 'auto-level' with my KK2 board. But 'Smart' mode adds a bunch of clever stuff due to GPS integration.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Thanks, seems that 'stability mode' is basically the same as 'auto-level' with my KK2 board. But 'Smart' mode adds a bunch of clever stuff due to GPS integration.
According to the manual it has GPS, a manometer, and a barometer.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Bob......the guys at Hobbytown have told me the back-order issues are due more to the demand rather than problems steming from the Quad design......like many who have bought one (limited supply), there has been the learning curve issue to overcome, since the 350 is not the "toy" many had owned previously.

JetPlaneFlyer.....The 350 is the first Quad I have ever flown.....so I'm not able to provide a comparison.........having researched the Blade technology and been around a few other quad owners, seem's the "smart" aspect does make a difference due to the GPS intergration.......the speed at which it responds and the "memory" it maintains for location and self-leveling appears to be the big or best "selling" point compaired to other "like" models on the market......

Like I stated previously, if I had the desire and money to get back into a multi-rotor bird, I would seriously consider the 350.......now that I've given up all of the 450 ccp's and fixed pitch birds I once owned.

AMA 928214
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Bob......the guys at Hobbytown have told me the back-order issues are due more to the demand rather than problems steming from the Quad design......like many who have bought one (limited supply), there has been the learning curve issue to overcome, since the 350 is not the "toy" many had owned previously.

JetPlaneFlyer.....The 350 is the first Quad I have ever flown.....so I'm not able to provide a comparison.........having researched the Blade technology and been around a few other quad owners, seem's the "smart" aspect does make a difference due to the GPS intergration.......the speed at which it responds and the "memory" it maintains for location and self-leveling appears to be the big or best "selling" point compaired to other "like" models on the market......

Like I stated previously, if I had the desire and money to get back into a multi-rotor bird, I would seriously consider the 350.......now that I've given up all of the 450 ccp's and fixed pitch birds I once owned.
Thanks for the info.
My local Hobby Barn is trying to formulate a work-around for the 350's props. Perhaps Like a prop-saver mount over the motor shafts and sport props. I haven't heard if they have got it solved. The 350's props are proprietary.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Awards Showcase

There is a recall on the props, you can get the new ones free... this is pretty much the same way they handled the bad grips on the Blade mCPX.

See the red-colored "Important Product Bulletin" link on the right side

Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The electronic gizmos and ease of use on the Blade 350 seem really top notch. The plastic frame I'm not quite so keen on, the carbon fibre quads look a but more 'high tech' and less toy like, but i guess that's a personal thing.

One thing is for sure, these multi rotors are sooo much easier to fly than collective pitch helis, in fact after i flown the quad for a while i really struggled with my Trex 450, it seemed so unstable and twitchy by comparison.

Props seems to be a weakness in many multi rotors, I threw a couple of prop blades off mine before upgrading to carbon fibre props.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
There is a recall on the props, you can get the new ones free... this is pretty much the same way they handled the bad grips on the Blade mCPX.

See the red-colored "Important Product Bulletin" link on the right side
Thanks again jasmine2501.
I checked the link you posted but I will have to call HH like the voucher directed as I found and purchased four sets of the old props last Thursday in Indianapolis.
The Blade is awesome. My only problem was I didn't follow the directions.
My Bad.
Took it up twice today. I am very pleased.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Awards Showcase

Yeah I had trouble making the PDF form work and I had to call them, but it wasn't bad. After being on hold for about 40 minutes, they had all my info already and it wasn't a big deal for them to send me a couple sets of the new props.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

This one is really talking to me gang....

I am a Spektrum guy and like the idea of being able to use my existing TX. It looks pretty good.

I like the lighter weight and included GoPro mount too. Not sure i like the props, but I know they make some adapters for the motors too if that is really a big deal.

But the DJI Phantom is certainly no slouch either. Does anyone here have both?

Are you still liking it?

Mike
Old 11-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Awards Showcase

I still like mine and fly it whenever I feel like it. It's so easy, even beginners can fly it.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS
Friends: (0)

Both fly well but are different machines. I feel reluctant to compare them directly as the Phantom has been flying so well for so long and the 350 has been grounded by prop failure. Now it has prop adapters and the new apc MR props so my confidence has returned.
It would be better to give likes and dislikes.
Phantom I can change the flight parameters using the assistant software and i like that option. The flight of the Phantom is so smooth. There is nothing to mess with in the radio. And that is also a dislike with the Phantom. The red and green lights work better for me than the red and blue on the 350QX.

350QX has many things going for it and my two dislikes are the way it is programmed (thru the radio) and the lights. The blue light blurs out for me and I an less confidant at distance in the dark with the 350 than the Phantom. All my other MR's have red and green led's.
The positive items are the ease of flight that Jasmine mentioned. Truly remarkable in the green flight mode. The phantom is more smooth in the non-gps flight mode, but the Phantom does not have the red (Acro) flight mode and it is fun. One other simple positive is the switch as it allows a margin of safety and ease of use that none of my other multi-rotors have. Lastly the radio I use with the 350QX is a DX7 and it has been in my hands a lot so I dont have to look for the switches.

The top cool feature is the RTH mode that does not require turning the radio off. (i cant bring myself to do it with the Phantom) It takes over and lands and you throw the switch and off it goes again. Very neat.

I hope others will add or clarify the small points here with their experiences. The quality of the Phantom seems a little higher but that is just my opinion. I hope this helps.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 11-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Awards Showcase

Yeah I've messed around with enough Phantoms to agree with most of that. For me, the Phantom just didn't make sense because I don't need another radio. I already have two really nice radios and that's enough of a pain to carry around, I don't need another one. So, I wanted something I could fly with Spektrum. I started by building my own stuff, but when the 350 QX came out I just had to have one. I had to do a lot of work to get my other copters to do what the 350QX does right out of the box, and the other copters don't auto-land correctly like the 350QX does. They will return to home just fine, but you better do a manual landing after that. With the 350QX, I have a lot of confidence in the auto-landing, they seem to have gotten it really right. It seems to know when it hits the ground and it shuts down - ArduCopter doesn't really do that.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:58 AM   #18
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46z5G2vw2Lo
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

I got a chance to maiden my yesterday. I never took it out of Safe Mode because I was unsure how it or I would do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzUO7IcwzM

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #20
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
I got a chance to maiden my yesterday. I never took it out of Safe Mode because I was unsure how it or I would do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzUO7IcwzM
Good idea.
I crashed mine in safe mode a month ago when it lost it's GPS lock and took off over the trees. I struggled to fly it back near me and caught the top of a tree tumbling it out of the sky.
Now I'm waiting for the firmware upgrade release before I move all the guts to a new frame.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #21
Speedtorque

I had been holding on for the QX200, but it's actual spec is just a brushless QX180.

The 350 didn't get a second look from me when I heard about the breaking props, the odd mode configuration (no alt hold in stability mode? that's the mode you need for AP surely?) and that it wouldn't configure to my much loved DX7.

Since then it's had a firmware flash and appeared to use alt hold in all modes bar agility, I found a thread that shows how to setup a DX7 for it and the props have got better, furthermore there are better motors and prop hubs available. Oh, and the price has come down!

Perhaps I should give this QX350 a second look?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:43 AM   #22
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Just a small upgrade to mine

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	175827  

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:53 PM   #23
Speedtorque

what have you done? Any more pictures?

I ordered a version 2 today, this will be my first quad, but I have lots of time on a small helicopters. The only modification I would be looking to do, eventually, is change the body for a dead 'cat style' such as the Neewer Alien to improve weight. It's only a cheap body and a simple modification, but it looks drastic.

I really think I would struggle to build a quad with GPS and RTH for the price of the blade at the moment?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #24
Speedtorque

I finally got the 350 today, it's a neat piece of kit. I think it might be a version 1 that has had the V2 modifications done by the shop? The reason I think this is the box was pre-opened and all blades were B type, there is a slight swell in the No 1 arm (where the GPS receiver is relocated to) and it's the old type of battery charger. I'm not too bothered by this, but is there any way I can make sure the firmware has been re-flashed?
Old 06-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #25
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

if it has the new firmware one of your flight modes will show you a purple led. If it has not been flashed you will get green, blue or red. The v2.0 adds an AP mode so you should get green, purple then blue.

I just flashed mine and I would recommend completing a full set up with compass and accelerometer calibration.

Make sure you bind with GPS enabled (hold left aileron. Have fun it flies great.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors