Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)
Default Heads Up R/C Power Up 17 gram MG servos?

I was going to post this in the radio section but there is much more traffic here and these servos would likely interest more builders in this forum.

I just saw these today: LINK I can't believe the price at $4.95 for MG servos! I use a lot of Hitec HS-81/82/85 servos that these compare with. The price makes me wonder if I'm gonna get what I paid for if you know what I mean. Heads Up has an awesome reputation and I doubt they would risk it selling crap though. Still I'd like to hear from anyone using these servos and what you think of them before I buy at least 8 at this killer price.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 09-24-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Those servos have slightly more torque than the servos I started with in 1972, and they weighed 1.5 oz each. My old ones took 0.5 seconds to rotate 45 degrees if I remember right.

I have some similar metal gear servos, although slightly smaller, that I love. Fast and smooth.

If I could I would order 8 of these.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,239 Times in 2,141 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (324)

because of the red white and black wires, i would say they are made by turnigy. give Jeff a email and ask him who they are made by.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-24-2014, 04:18 AM   #4
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery88
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

It would be nice to hear more about these servos. So far the Iflight 3.1 and 5gm servos have proven to be good servos as I've used a number of them, and they have a smooth geartrain with no slop. I would imagine the slightly more expensive Iflight 17gm metal servos are quality servos.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Wire color is not a complete guide to who made the servo.
Unless HobbyKing was making Futaba servos years ago.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT5267.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	177506  

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Wire color is not a complete guide to who made the servo.
Unless HobbyKing was making Futaba servos years ago.

True but with the cheapy servos its a good indication, also GWS have red, white and black servo wires. most of the other servos have orange and brown wires. i am sure futaba is not going to sell their servos for $5.00

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gwsNARO-MAXX.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	177507  

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Am I the only one on the planet that just has had total stinker luck with most cheapo servos? I just have not had any luck with 95% of them.

I will await your report - but every time I try cheapo's well, I get a cheapo servo. Don't center, use TONS of power, slow, way lower torque than spec's, heads and arms fail, you name it I get it.

I stopped and just pay the Hitec price. I do admit the HXT 9g type are fine, they center pretty darn good and have good power and durability. They consume a good deal of juice but I know that and watch for it.

I am still looking for the Hitec HS65 killer. Nothing comes close for me, not even marginally.

For $5 might be worth a try. Who knows....but I have tossed more $5-10 servos right in the bin when I get them than I care to admit. For me - I stick with brand names with excellent results (for the most part).

Mike
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Am I the only one on the planet that just has had total stinker luck with most cheapo servos? I just have not had any luck with 95% of them.

I will await your report - but every time I try cheapo's well, I get a cheapo servo. Don't center, use TONS of power, slow, way lower torque than spec's, heads and arms fail, you name it I get it.

I stopped and just pay the Hitec price. I do admit the HXT 9g type are fine, they center pretty darn good and have good power and durability. They consume a good deal of juice but I know that and watch for it.

I am still looking for the Hitec HS65 killer. Nothing comes close for me, not even marginally.

For $5 might be worth a try. Who knows....but I have tossed more $5-10 servos right in the bin when I get them than I care to admit. For me - I stick with brand names with excellent results (for the most part).

Mike
I'm with you Mike. Been a Hitec fan for many, many years and have stayed away from the cheap stuff for the longest time. I have seen a lot of folks posting good results from the offshore stuff for quite a while though. I even broke down and got some of the HXT-900's a year or so ago. Like you say they are power pigs but they seem to work well. I don't put them in anything I have a strong attachment to.

At $5.00 for a metal gear servo I certainly won't expect the quality of a Hitec but they may be worth a look see. I was hoping for a review from someone that actually had some in a plane before I make the order. I'll probably just get 4 and be the Guinea pig. If they're total crap maybe I'll get lucky and the metal gears will work in a Hitec.

Joe

Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
carpetbagger

Friends: (2)

I have lots of E Max servos from Headsup and they are fine. Also have genuine Futaba servos, they work fine as well, and I'm not sophisticated enough to notice any difference.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:30 AM   #10
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by carpetbagger View Post
I have lots of E Max servos from Headsup and they are fine. Also have genuine Futaba servos, they work fine as well, and I'm not sophisticated enough to notice any difference.
I have a bad taste from the E Max servos. I bought a T-Rex 250 clone package from a local guy a while back that came with NIB E Max 9 gram servos. Just in the few minutes it took to do the bench trim one fried. I then put HS-45's on the mainshaft and tried another E Max on the tail. It too fried on me. Oh, and that was using a Castle Creations BEC set to 4.8 volts. That clone 250 sits stripped of electronics in a box. I doubt I'll mess with that thing again. 450 or bigger for me.....

Joe

Old 09-25-2014, 01:58 AM   #11
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (8)

I bought 8 of the 12gm version of the metal gear PowerUp servos this spring when they were on sale.
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...ervo-H-236.htm
They have not been in a plane yet, but I have powered them up on a spare RX/ESC and all worked fine. They seem to center well and handle the test of me providing resistance on a servo arm with my finger just fine. Normal running current was about .25 amp with no load on the servo arm. A peak of about .6 amps when stalled. All current measured from the battery, not directly from the servo.

So far, I'm a yes, but not fully tested so use with caution....

Like others I have had good success with the EMax 12gm Analog Metal Gear servo (ES08MA) I have them in my Firestorm and Daddy-O and are still going after 3 years. Mine are the version 1 which are no longer available. I have not tried the ver II which are out now.

My thought is that you can't go wrong with HeadsUp. They will make it right if you have any issues.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 AM   #12
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I had to wait to get home to do it but I just ordered 4 of the 17 gram MG servos. I'll be finishing up another MM Tyro 150 soon and I'll test pairs of them on the flaps so they won't be on a critical surface.

Joe

Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 AM   #13
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

I forgot that I now have the plastic 9gm PowerUp servos in my Groove G480 and they work really well.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...ervo-H-400.htm

I started with the TowerPro Hi Torque SG92R servos and did not like them at all. Those do not center well.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:19 AM   #14
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I had to wait to get home to do it but I just ordered 4 of the 17 gram MG servos. I'll be finishing up another MM Tyro 150 soon and I'll test pairs of them on the flaps so they won't be on a critical surface.

Joe
Joe,

Let us know what you think about them when you get a chance to play with them!

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 AM   #15
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Joe
Hi Joe What I do to test Receivers, ESC and Servos that have been in a Crashed Plane, is that I make a Flat Profile Cheapy plane to test them in, if all goes well after a few flights, then i put them in other planes. Its just some cheap insurance to save a Nicer Plane Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 09-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #16
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery88
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

I have a bad taste from the E Max servos. I bought a T-Rex 250 clone package from a local guy a while back that came with NIB E Max 9 gram servos. Just in the few minutes it took to do the bench trim one fried. I then put HS-45's on the mainshaft and tried another E Max on the tail. It too fried on me. Oh, and that was using a Castle Creations BEC set to 4.8 volts. That clone 250 sits stripped of electronics in a box. I doubt I'll mess with that thing again. 450 or bigger for me.....

Joe
Good chance it was a bad batch, but still what does that say about their qc.
I had a similar experience with HXT servos, where something like 3 of 5 didn't work. It turned out that if I moved them by hand and then cycled them a bit, the pots seemed to "clean up" and I ran a number of test cycles without issue, but would someone trust them? I use those for rudder or nose wheel steering servos on 4ch planes where I have no rudder mix.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #17
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Bill, it is a very good chance they were from a bad batch. Especially with 2 of 4 failing. I have no idea where the guy bought them from either. No big deal. If I had to count I'm sure I have well over 100 servos. Those two bad ones aren't going to make me cry.

Joe

Old 09-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #18
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Tracking number shows the servos should be here Monday. That's pretty darn quick for only $2.00 shipping charge. I've bought from them a few times before but forgot how much I loved that low shipping cost.

Joe

Old 09-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #19
carpetbagger

Friends: (2)
Default Yep

three days to me from headsup, sometimes 4, and $2 is a deal.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #20
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery88
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by carpetbagger View Post
three days to me from headsup, sometimes 4, and $2 is a deal.
They always ship really fast for me also. USPS has been a different story lately. I should get my order today, that HURC shipped almost 7 days ago. Tracking shows it sat in the Orlando USPS post office for something like 5 days.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #21
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Tracking shows it sat in the Orlando USPS post office for something like 5 days.
Uh-oh! Tracking shows mine to be sitting in Orlando right now! No big deal. #1. I really don't NEED the servos right now. #2. It's not HURC's fault it's USPS. #3. HURC's reputation tells me I'll be happy no matter what. My previous orders have all been perfect. #4. For $2.00 shipping who in their right mind would complain!

Joe

Old 09-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Bill, it is a very good chance they were from a bad batch. Especially with 2 of 4 failing. I have no idea where the guy bought them from either. No big deal. If I had to count I'm sure I have well over 100 servos. Those two bad ones aren't going to make me cry.

Joe
How many of those are HS-55s?

I've been using HXT-500s and HXT-900s ever since I bought Nico Hobbies from Adam back in 2010. In the dozens of airframes I built for sale, and all of the personal planes I did, I've not had a single one fail on me out of the package or strip a gear without having been in a crash first. And even when I did crash, most servos just kept right on running. Nor have I had any complaints from customers.

But, those will only go in my sub-2 lb airframes. I would not put them in anything fast or that required lots of torque.

Pat Gagnon
Old 09-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #23
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
How many of those are HS-55s?
OMG! I remember several years back I did a count and it was over 60! I've gotten (and given away) many more HS-55 since then. I just looked in my N.I.B. servo drawer and there are 16 N.I.B. Hitec's from HS-56 to 85MG in there. Also two Futaba S9257 heli tail servos along with a pile of HXT-900's. None of this takes into account the servos in 31 ready to fly planes. At an average of 3 servos per plane.......Dammit! No wonder I'm broke!

Hello, my name is Joe and I'm a servoholic.

But seriously, I hope to actually start flying much more this year rather than just building. I have so many maiden flights to do that are 2-3 years old that it's absolutely insane.

Joe

Old 09-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #24
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

I hardly did any flying this year myself. I'm selling Nico Hobbies back to Adam next month, so I'll have more free time to just go and fly. Been a while since I was able to go to an event and just relax and fly.

Pat Gagnon
Old 09-27-2014, 01:47 AM   #25
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I hardly did any flying this year myself. I'm selling Nico Hobbies back to Adam next month, so I'll have more free time to just go and fly. Been a while since I was able to go to an event and just relax and fly.
P.M sent. WingnutZ?

Joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft