Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default EE Lightning ... the "Frightening" sport plans

While stuck out here ... not building ... not flying ... thoughts of the favourite airframes ... the Lightning comes to my mind ...

Will never forget watching that baby haul vertical out of sight ! The ear-bashing crescendo of those Avons rocketing her skyward ..
Sport design .. so in the air you get impression of her .. but simple shape and build.

Fuselage in Styrofoam 60mm square ... with top and bottom shapes added to give profile.
Wing is two sheets of 3mm depron laminated with Bowden cable and bbq skewers sandwiched to give strength and hide controls.
Tail... all-moving or split ...

Simple tractor prop up front ... anything over 2100kv and small prop on 3S or 4S ..

Span 500mm ... length 760mm ...

Nigel

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 500mm Lightning.pdf (1.12 MB, 31 views)

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Any thoughts about EDFing this one? Perfect project for the cardboard model rocket tube idea. Reminds me of the Mig21 project. Pretty much just like stacking two of them on top of each other.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Porcia83

Friends: (1)

Love the look of that jet...it screams speed! Must be tough to fly!.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
Love the look of that jet...it screams speed! Must be tough to fly!.
All the reports give that Pilots loved her and regarded her as a pure Pilots machine in the air ...

But she was nick-named the "Frightening" because of her high landing speed....

Not bad that 1947 design spec issued and 40 yrs later finally taken out of service ... well over 30yrs active.
Only straight up fighter to get up there and intercept the U2 ...

Records show she hit 89,000ft ... with her still holding records today ...

There's an excellent video on Youtube : "Test Pilot TV Series 1986 - The English Electric Lightning"

A Harrier pilot is allowed loose on one of the last remaining .. to give him experience of high speed flight without all the electronic gizmos ... AND a different way to do vertical take-off !

Anyway - back to the model ...

I did consider EDF ... but I think a lot more care and design work would be needed ... the real one is two staggered Avon engines, so I think a model would be stuck with a single to keep the fuselage depth reasonable. The wings would need high speed to work ... or have to be increased significantly.

The prop version I think is the easiest option .. and I'm going for a tractor prop ... partly because of the Radar cone in the nose and that it's safer for launching.
It may even be good enough for light dolly of the ground ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

I did look seriously at an EDF EE Lightning.
Keeping to scale the problem is indeed the fuselage, it is just too narrow and the intake area is tiny even with a single EDF. It would be difficult to arrange for an over size intake without completely destroying its looks.
The P1A with its 'sharks mouth' intake would be better but it still means the plane would be pretty big for the size of the EDF.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1Acolour.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	176603

Name:	NoseIntake.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	176602

As a result I put the Lightning on the back burner and built the Fairey Delta 2 instead!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
HO-229
PROVERBS 27:17 ROGUE!

Friends: (6)

That looks like it would have been interesting to work on back in the day!
I am assuming the lower engine had to be removed to replace the upper.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

EDF version ?

The prop version here is 60mm block fuselage....

A 50mm EDF is about 53mm OD ... so allowing 6mm sides .. that's 53 + 12 = 65mm.

The EDF would have to actually literally create the duct as an extension of it's shroud and you'd lose a) the radar cone at front and b) the twin outlets at rear.

So basically the above plans would increase width by 5mm and the fuselage would be very weak being just the top and bottom additions to stiffen it up.

Battery and gear carriage loses its fuselage and would need to be carried in the bottom addition - further weakening it.

mmmmmmmmmmm got me thinking though.

Nigel

Old 07-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
quorneng
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

HO-229
The engines were not actually one above the other but staggered.
Lower forward, Upper aft.

Name:	F1Acutaway.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	176604
As far as working on the Lightning was concerned I understand everything was a nightmare!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
HO-229
PROVERBS 27:17 ROGUE!

Friends: (6)

I am guessing the aft engine is fighting with the one closest to the intake for air...
Must have had some creative ductwork going on to balance flow

Good thing they show drop tanks in the pic! It surely had to refuel ALLOT
Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by HO-229 View Post
I am guessing the aft engine is fighting with the one closest to the intake for air...
Must have had some creative ductwork going on to balance flow

Good thing they show drop tanks in the pic! It surely had to refuel ALLOT
The design was based on the premise that Russia / Eastern Bloc would send out bombers to take out our airfields and any strategic bombers on the ground. The Lightning was a quick reaction - interceptor with a specific goal - to intercept those bombers and protect the airfields for not only those on the ground but returning bombers from missions.
The emphasis was then on speed and climb rate ... rather than endurance.

Later the folly of such design fuel limitation was remedied by first - the ventral tank .. enlarged twice in it's life .. the overwing tanks and finally flight refuelling.
After the war before my Father joined CAA ... he was with Flight Refueling and involved in the early days ... The Lightning was different to most other in that it's probe was extended from the wing and not a fuselage mount ... this meant a lot of practice for the guy to 'nail' the fuel chute !

Back to the model !!

To make her look more like a Mk 6 ... a deeper narrower fuselage could easily be done ... my reason for 60mm was to gain strength from such a block and allow 'meat' to hollow for battery / ESC / Rx etc. It would also be possible if wished to cut a cooling air channel ...

My main concern is not the fuselage and it's shape .. but that wing ! To control the aileron's calls for some ingenuity and is why I consider burying a Bowden cable in the wing from a central servo.

Now here's a novel way to create a common cross rod control ..

The tail planes to make all-moving need a single rod across the fuselage and embedded out into the stabs.

This can be made with a single length of piano wire and straw tubes without need for else. The centre of the wire is bent down and back up with a small 'eye' at the end ... at suitable length from the 'eye' the wire is then bent 90 deg to create the horizontal part ... short straw tubes placed over the wire ... ends bent to provide anchor for stabs.
Thin wire is soldered or thread CA'd to the wire at centre to keep together and aligned ... the 'eye' is opened / closed as needed to provide slop-free connection for servo rod clevis.
Straw tubes glued into fuselage to provide bearing and alignment.

Nigel

Old 07-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #11
quorneng
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Nigel
Why not have aileron servos buried in the wings? Then only their electric wires have to go round any corners.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #12
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
EDF version ?

The prop version here is 60mm block fuselage....

A 50mm EDF is about 53mm OD ... so allowing 6mm sides .. that's 53 + 12 = 65mm.

The EDF would have to actually literally create the duct as an extension of it's shroud and you'd lose a) the radar cone at front and b) the twin outlets at rear.

So basically the above plans would increase width by 5mm and the fuselage would be very weak being just the top and bottom additions to stiffen it up.

Battery and gear carriage loses its fuselage and would need to be carried in the bottom addition - further weakening it.

mmmmmmmmmmm got me thinking though.

Nigel
Probably done easier as a single fan/dual exhaust cheat. I did that with the FW250, but you're right, a cheater would be needed to keep the radar cone. I had to cheat on the 250 also, and I'm not a fan of the appearance of cheaters.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
Nigel
Why not have aileron servos buried in the wings? Then only their electric wires have to go round any corners.
Problem is the thin wings ...

On my sketch - I've given two options :

a) Single sheet 6mm depron
or
b) twin laminated 3mm sheets with cable between ... making about 9 - 10mm thickness

Size of a servo ? Even a 4.5gr would not be hidden ...

OK - lets consider a modification.

So far like the real one - I've drawn in wing tip T/E ailerons ... to get maximum effect.
Lets say we not use that area and make standard T/E ailerons along the swept back ... This would allow a single servo in the centre and torque rods... or split servos .. one each side of fuselage. But that wing sweep back angle ? makes the geometry pretty severe.

Would they be as effective as the tip ailerons ?

Nigel

Old 07-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
DEG
AMA 16634

Friends: (8)

Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by DEG View Post
Another idea, leaving the ailerons as they were in original post and using bellcranks with single servo....
True ...

In fact would you need the bell-cranks ? If the rod was allowed to pass through a guide instead of a hole ... it would allow it to move laterally but not up / down.

My idea of a cable allowed me to bury the cable outer and just have the cable exit with clevis on the end to the aileron horn. Other servo end would be square on ...

Like most - many ways to 'skin this cat' !

Cheers
Nigel

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	500mm Lightning aileron styles.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	176621

Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #16
quorneng
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Nigel
At 10mm thick you can certainly get in a micro servo lying it on its side.

This is the underside of the wing on my Depron Fairey Delta 2 showing its aileron servo.

Name:	AilServo.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	176620
The wing is 10mm thick at this point. The 8mm thick servo is glued directly to the underside of the 2mm Depron upper skin so lies flush with the lower surface.

I have also done the same with the elevator servo mounted in the middle of the 8mm thick tailplane of my Cessna Skymaster. In that case it is flush on both sides.

Incidentally mounting the servo in this way does give the 'correct' linkage geometry. i.e the servo and control surface move on the same axis.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

mmmmmmmmmmm I'm going to have to check out servo sizes ... I have a boxful of 4.5gr and 9gr ... I buy them in job lots of 4 ... 10 at a time.

If I can set a 4.5 on side and direct link - then yes - agree.

(edit) 4.3g servo specifications.

Size : 19x8x26mm(edit)

So a 4.3gr is 8mm wide ... OK - done !

Long time back - I posted an idea of direct drive elevator ... no rods or horns. The servo axle being the hinge line .. the elevator directly fixed to the arm ... never did try it ... but wonder if this may be the model to try it on the stabs ?

Nigel

Old 07-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #18
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

mmmmmmmmmmm I'm going to have to check out servo sizes ... I have a boxful of 4.5gr and 9gr ... I buy them in job lots of 4 ... 10 at a time.

If I can set a 4.5 on side and direct link - then yes - agree.

(edit) 4.3g servo specifications.

Size : 19x8x26mm(edit)

So a 4.3gr is 8mm wide ... OK - done !

Long time back - I posted an idea of direct drive elevator ... no rods or horns. The servo axle being the hinge line .. the elevator directly fixed to the arm ... never did try it ... but wonder if this may be the model to try it on the stabs ?

Nigel
I have yet to have a small servo fail other than micro linear, and keep going smaller as much as I can. My FW250 has BA 4gm servos in the wing, with no failures yet. I hate to use a 9gm servo on anything under 40" span now, and even then maybe only on a nose wheel. I started on an aileron cable kick, but now simply mount small servos in the wings for ailerons, since there's little added weight penalty over a single 9gm servo. Definitely a number of options for the elevator linkage also, outside of possibly not wanting rear added weight of a rear mounted servo. These swept wing jobs have always proven to need a further forward cg than the classical area calcs entail. I have my own theories as to why, but irregardless it has always proven true.

The radar cone reminds me of the Mig21 project. I gave this model to a local flyer, who got it flying. The nose cone was used as a spring release mechanism for batt/gear access.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mig_21_15_nose_out.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	176623

Name:	Mig_21_16_nose_in.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	176624

Name:	Mig_21_17_fuse_latch.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	176625

Name:	Mig_21_19_nose_latch_detail.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	176626 A u-shaped wire running along each fuse wall is pushed underneath the latch arms, causing them to unlatch.

Name:	Mig_21_21comp_resize.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	176627
Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
Porcia83

True ...

In fact would you need the bell-cranks ? If the rod was allowed to pass through a guide instead of a hole ... it would allow it to move laterally but not up / down.

My idea of a cable allowed me to bury the cable outer and just have the cable exit with clevis on the end to the aileron horn. Other servo end would be square on ...

Like most - many ways to 'skin this cat' !

Cheers
Nigel
in your example on the right, would the rods be encased in something? If so, do you think there would still be enough rigidity there to move the wing surfaces? I don't think I've ever seen bent pushrods.

Looking forward to the build though!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
in your example on the right, would the rods be encased in something? If so, do you think there would still be enough rigidity there to move the wing surfaces? I don't think I've ever seen bent pushrods.

Looking forward to the build though!
They are not rods ... they are flexible cables inside tubes ... Bowden cables - same as you have for your bicycle brakes.

You can get them as nylon inner (usually called Sulivan cables) or the steel Bowden version.

All you have to do is anchor the ends basically ...

Nigel

Old 07-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #21
Porcia83

o/k, yup, that makes sense.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #22
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

If you're using a cable, these little FlyZone thumbwheel adjusters are excellent, if you can get your hands on them. I have a few stashed and bought them whenever I could find them at the LHS. They are fine threaded so they easily hand tighten well, and never back off. It's nice to be able to adjust the ailerons at the wings, without needing a tool.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AR196_22.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	176641
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
If you're using a cable, these little FlyZone thumbwheel adjusters are excellent, if you can get your hands on them. I have a few stashed and bought them whenever I could find them at the LHS. They are fine threaded so they easily hand tighten well, and never back off. It's nice to be able to adjust the ailerons at the wings, without needing a tool.
Excellent little jobs ...

I use the normal screw type stoppers on rods ...

The Bowdens will have soldered ends and clevis fitted as it's based on stranded wire ... crushing that in a stopper makes it hard to adjust later.

Cheers
Nigel

Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #24
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Excellent little jobs ...

I use the normal screw type stoppers on rods ...

The Bowdens will have soldered ends and clevis fitted as it's based on stranded wire ... crushing that in a stopper makes it hard to adjust later.

Cheers
Nigel
That's one nice thing about the FlyZone adjusters, is that they're sized perfectly for the Gold cable, such that it can be adequately tightened without kinking the heck out of it, hindering future adjustment. The adjuster screw is around 1mm, so that there's not a large hole diameter for the cable to be kinked into. I know what you're referring to about that problem though, since the Dubro micro e-z links will kink the crap out of the cable. Their 2-56 threading creates a massive diameter hole to kink the cable into.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'll have to search out the Flyzone version ... no good telling me US suppliers - most don't want to ship internationally.

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft