Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)
Default Favorite flying movie

So here I am. Sunday night. Grilled some burgers. Polished off a La Fin DuMonde. (Which pretty much explains the rest of this post!) Watching probably my favorite flying movie. The Right Stuff. I'm near the end. Chuck by his 'NF-104'.(Really an F-104) Ridley kneeling in front of the F-86. Discussing a stick of gum.

I know the movie has a lot of technical errors and false-hoods, but to me it's like a dream of that era. The only thing they really missed for me is the giving the 'NF-104' a generic jet sound, instead of the unearthly F-104 howl.

I had the good fortune to wind up working in a hangar shared by another company which happened to house an F-104 in USAF paint on the other side of the fence. (Their half of the hangar.) I also was fortunate enough to see (and hear) it blasting off one day from the runway just out front of the hangar. *sigh...* I wonder if it's the one in the movie, since it must have been the late 80's, and there aren't many of those around.

One day, I'll find an F-104 EDF that will fit my particular desires... And my lowly skills!

So what's your favorite airplane movie? (Oh god, should I hit the submit button? Here goes...)
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
philwr

Friends: (0)

Fighter Squadron-Edmond O'Brien and Jack Edward Larson (Jimmy Olsen) the famous co-star of Superman! Who needs Lois Lane when ya got Jimmy!

There's just to many.

Strategic Air Command-Jimmy Stewart

633 Squadron-Cliff Robertson

Bridges at Toko Ri- William Holden

Really showing my age

You kids missed all the good stuff!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

More of a Navy movie than a flying movie I suppose but one of my all time favorites is "Midway". An incredible cast and awesome story of Americas might and determination during WWII.

Another is "Always", Richard Dreyfus, John Goodman, Holly Hunter

One of the coolest opening scenes of a movie ever!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

My dad's is something about waldo pepper, its about war piolits and the first stunt mono winged planes and the famous outside loop.

Mine would have to be forever young. Kinda chick flicky, but I loved it when I was a little kid.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

All great flicks! Except I haven't heard of Fighter Squadron before. I'll have to look for it.

Strategic Air Command: I can't believe it's not on DVD. I mean, X-15 with Charles Bronson has been on DVD for years. (Also cool with LOTS of stock X-15 footage, and everyone smokes like chimney! LOL!)

In other news, by coincidence, someone on another forum just this morning posted that HobbyKing has restocked on their 70mm EDF F-104! The tip tanks look silly, but that can be remedied one way or another. At least they have the general outline pretty good, and talk about affordable, $65 PNP! Might have to get 2! Though it's in their international warehouse, so I don't know yet what the shipping would be.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EDF_PNF_.html
Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Tora, Tora, Tora, the first one. They dumped a LOT of money and effort into that one (1969?), and it showed. The later one done on computer was junk IMHO...

Final Countdown was an interesting concept, and quite well done. I watch it every few years or so, long after the technology became stale, very good movie.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

[QUOTE=TLyttle;874408]Tora, Tora, Tora, the first one. They dumped a LOT of money and effort into that one (1969?), and it showed. The later one done on computer was junk IMHO...

Yes the original plane based movies were great weren't they. The original "Tora,Tora,Tora" comes to mind immediately and "The Battle Of Britain".
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they imported most of the German aircraft used in the latter from the Spanish Airforce!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Club: Fraser Valley RC Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post

Final Countdown was an interesting concept, and quite well done. I watch it every few years or so, long after the technology became stale, very good movie.
This is one of my wife's favorites, and like you, she pulls it out and watches it about once a year.

I've enjoyed all of those listed so far, but can't put my finger on a "favorite".

Brad.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Oh, yeah. The Battle of Britain was great, but the ME/Bf-109's were the Spanish built version with a different engine, and therefore a very different look to them. Still an excellent movie.

Another one just popped into my head: Capricorn One. The chase scene at the end with the Stearman and 2 Hughes-500's had incredible you-are-there footage.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

No Highway in the Sky,
with Jimmy Stewart... An aeronautical engineer predicts that a new model of plane will fail catastrophically and in a novel manner after a specific number flying hours.

Fate is the Hunter,
Glenn Ford... The search for the cause of an airliner crash.

The Dam Busters
True story of how the British attacked German dams in WW2 by using an ingenious technique to drop bombs where they would be most effective.

The first of the few, also known as Spitfire.
.David Niven and Leslie Howard.
The story of how the Spitfire came into being

Porco Rosso animated
The adventures of a 1920's bush pilot who just happens to look like a humanoid pig.
Nice airplane drawings.

I also vote for Tora..Tora..Tora, the first one.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Voltron

Friends: (2)

I liked the movie Midway. It had lots of aircraft plus Naval warfare.

I have the movie Redtails home now but haven't watched it yet. Has anyone else here seen it yet?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I saw Redtails when it came out in the theatres. I enjoyed it, but you have to give up what you know about how planes fly and the laws of physics a bit! Just enjoy!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Paulo69

Club: KraaiFly

I liked Top Gun and Pearl Harbor ... yeah, yeah ... I'm from Africa ... lol
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I saw Redtails when it came out in the theatres. I enjoyed it, but you have to give up what you know about how planes fly and the laws of physics a bit! Just enjoy!

lol....seen in the tv commercial, one of the planes pulling at least 50 "hollywood" g's...lol

looked pretty good gonna have to go pick it up

cr
Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Paulo69 View Post
I liked Top Gun and Pearl Harbor ... yeah, yeah ... I'm from Africa ... lol
LOL! So what's being from Africa have to do with it?

Top Gun is great for the quotes!

Pearl Harbor, I took a little offense to. First of all, it would have been a great story without going all Hollywood on it. 2nd, being an aircraft mechanic, I didn't care for the ssssllllloooowwww dddrrrraaaawwwwllllll mechanic they portrayed. "I gots ME a guuurrrlllffrriiieeennnddd...." Hey, if Hollywood wants to fly in something an idiot put together... I guess maybe that's what makes it funny? Like the sitcom Wings, they had their dimwitted airplane mech, too.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #16
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Agree with the others...

Tora Tora Tora (even with the "Texan" Zeros)

Midway

Memphis Belle

High Road to China

Flyboys

Flight of the Phoenix (Original) Hey Jimmy Stewart common....

The Right Stuff

Bridges of Toko-Ri

And...... obviously Airplane! (I still just crack up every time I watch this) I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

Mike
Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Flyboys was good, but how many of you have read In the Company of Eagles, by Earnest K. Gann? Purely fiction, but an awesome WWI story that I think could make an incredible movie. Instead a cartoonishly evil German adversary (Like in Flyboys and Redtails), it showed the human side of everyone.

I just thought of the one movie that I recall where they got absolutely every technical detail about the plane right, but I don't think I'll watch it again: Alive. I worked on F-27's and FH-227's, and knew them pretty well, and they got everything right. But what a depressing movie!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

So here I am. Sunday night. Grilled some burgers. Polished off a La Fin DuMonde. (Which pretty much explains the rest of this post!) Watching probably my favorite flying movie. The Right Stuff. I'm near the end. Chuck by his 'NF-104'.(Really an F-104) Ridley kneeling in front of the F-86. Discussing a stick of gum.

I know the movie has a lot of technical errors and false-hoods, but to me it's like a dream of that era. The only thing they really missed for me is the giving the 'NF-104' a generic jet sound, instead of the unearthly F-104 howl.

I had the good fortune to wind up working in a hangar shared by another company which happened to house an F-104 in USAF paint on the other side of the fence. (Their half of the hangar.) I also was fortunate enough to see (and hear) it blasting off one day from the runway just out front of the hangar. *sigh...* I wonder if it's the one in the movie, since it must have been the late 80's, and there aren't many of those around.

One day, I'll find an F-104 EDF that will fit my particular desires... And my lowly skills!

So what's your favorite airplane movie? (Oh god, should I hit the submit button? Here goes...)

Yeah, the "Flight of the Phoenix" was a good movie back then.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
Paulo69

Club: KraaiFly

LOL! So what's being from Africa have to do with it?
... err I'm the only one who even dared to mention Top Gun and Pearl harbor ... those were REALLY big here btw ...

Pearl Harbor, I took a little offense to. First of all, it would have been a great story without going all Hollywood on it. 2nd, being an aircraft mechanic, I didn't care for the ssssllllloooowwww dddrrrraaaawwwwllllll mechanic they portrayed. "I gots ME a guuurrrlllffrriiieeennnddd...." Hey, if Hollywood wants to fly in something an idiot put together... I guess maybe that's what makes it funny? Like the sitcom Wings, they had their dimwitted airplane mech, too.
Never even thought about that ... I enjoyed the planes swooping through the buildings and ships, trying to get the bead on each other and shooting the crape out of everything in the way ...
Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #20
Dr Gyro

Friends: (1)

"Birds Of Prey" A movie about a bank robbery and two helicopters flying for just about the complete movie. I believe David Jansen was one of the main characters. He was a helicopter flying news man reporting on traffic condition when a bank robbery occured. The robbers took a woman hostage and Jansen, without the permission of his management, took off on a chase to rescue the girl. GREAT movie!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Hi Dr Gyro! I've heard of that one before, but haven't seen it yet. Though I vaguely recall as a young lad, watching something with a couple of heli's chasing each other around inside some hangars/warehouses. Maybe that was it, but I must have wiped out those brain cells a while back!

I may have to see if Netflix carries it and sign up. I've resisted so far.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
Dr Gyro

Friends: (1)

xmech2k, Yhat was the movie but those scenes were right at the end of the movie.

I rented it from Blockbuster about ten to twelve years ago after having seen it a very very long time ago. I know someone who has it on vhs. If you cannot find one I'll see if he has the cabability to copy it or put it on a dvd for you. If he can I will get a dvd for me at the same time and maybe a duplicate order will reduce the costs if any...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
Slowjohn
You can bury me after I'm done flying

Club: Just Some Friends
Awards Showcase

1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (28)

Like was stated before, I'm hard pressed to choose a favorite as all of them have their place in movie history & our hearts. What gets me is having to choose which one to watch when like today there are two on at the same time
The Flyboys and The Aviator
I'm watching The Flyboys

Standing By,
SJ

Blue Skies, Calm Breezes & A Full Hanger
Makes Me A Very Happy Man
Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #24
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

With the passing of Neil Armstrong, I know these are a stretch, as they are not 'flying movies' exactly, but the documentaries 'In the Shadow of the Moon' and 'For All Mankind' are pretty awesome.

They're showing In the Shadow of the Moon a few times on the Science Channel tonight. (9-01-12)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #25
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

To Fly!

Some clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTSvBIwfi2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADC-FII6tYg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poB9wiu4Hjo

Kind of dated. It's just one month short of thirty years ago that I saw this film.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat