Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
GBLynden

Friends: (0)
Default UMX B-17 From E-Flite

Hey guys!

I just got this plane and wanted to see who else has it.

Here is my maiden flight footage if you are interested and I will be doing a review as well in the review section:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (9)

Whoa! Scary takeoff. My deepest fear in rc flight is losing a plane on it's maiden. I like to feel like I get my money's worth out of them! She looks nice, once you get her trimmed out, though even towards the end of the video, she looked possibly tail heavy, or you're still fighting too much up trim?For my maidens, I generally go a little to the nose heavy side of recommended cg, and visually have just barely visible 'up' in the elevator. That's served me well.

She looks good in the air. Nice camera work, too. I know how hard it is to video RC planes, they become specks in the sky soon after takeoff usually, so doing this good with a UMX plane says something. Hope to see some more videos when you have her tamed a bit.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Argh, you beat me too it, I'm still gonna buy it. Definitely seems tail heavy. Does it run on 1s?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
GBLynden

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Whoa! Scary takeoff. My deepest fear in rc flight is losing a plane on it's maiden. I like to feel like I get my money's worth out of them! She looks nice, once you get her trimmed out, though even towards the end of the video, she looked possibly tail heavy, or you're still fighting too much up trim?For my maidens, I generally go a little to the nose heavy side of recommended cg, and visually have just barely visible 'up' in the elevator. That's served me well.

She looks good in the air. Nice camera work, too. I know how hard it is to video RC planes, they become specks in the sky soon after takeoff usually, so doing this good with a UMX plane says something. Hope to see some more videos when you have her tamed a bit.
Thank you! It is nice to get feedback like that and boy did I think it was toast when it started its vertical accent. I think it is a combo of tail heavy and being poorly trimmed out of the box.

I had the battery all of the way forward and even added duct tape to it for a little extra weight before the maiden. I may add just a touch more tape and/or go with a larger battery.

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
Argh, you beat me too it, I'm still gonna buy it. Definitely seems tail heavy. Does it run on 1s?
It is 1S and brushless. Watch my second flight that is yet to be edited before you pull the trigger. I got a couple sweet take-offs after I significantly trimmed the elevator mechanically. I am still working on dialing it in more, but it is close enough to give you an idea if it is for you or not.

GB
Old 11-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Well...I require WW2 planes, buying it is not an option. Not that impressed with the performance so far (nothing wrong with your flying), but then again, if a pilot was flying an F35, and then asked to fly a B-17, I'm quite sure he or she wouldn't be too happy. It could use a tad more power, as it doesn't take much to stall out, but fixing the cg could help. There is a monster scale B-17 (I think) that Flite Test has an episode on. Flies amazing, but once the pilot starts tossing the thing around like a 3d plane, it takes away from the scale concept. If it is good for short landings, I'll probably be able to go with it for winter flying.

Are you sure it's brushless, I see gearboxes in the parts listing for the plane.

See about going for a 1s Hyperion, larger mah is cheaper than the stock, almost half the price.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Yeah, that model sure looked tail heavy.

As for model video, I've got a four year old Canon SX20IS camera that works very well for taking videos of model airplanes. It has far more zoom than you'd ever need, but at maximum zoom, its near impossible to keep the model in the field of view.

It has both a view finder and LCD screen. FYI, trying to track a model with an LCD screen for a viewer is a lesson in frustration.

This camera also allows setting the focus to infinity manually so the camera's focus system doesn't hunt while tracking the model.

Now, the Canon camera has advanced to their SX50IS, at still the same price.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (9)

I looked up that camera, Dennis, as I'd like to be able to get some rc video. It's tough for me to diet that much money from planes to a camera! But I guess if I want to get good video I better get used to the idea. Should be useful at the full scale airshows too. What camera are you using GB? (Sorry for the little derailment! )
Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I was thinking though. It makes sense that the B-17 is brushed, as you can use one esc to power it. Does the as3x system and/or motors not handle 2s? I'm curious, because I can't find any info except the 1s bird upgraded to brushless
Old 11-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
GBLynden

I looked up that camera, Dennis, as I'd like to be able to get some rc video. It's tough for me to diet that much money from planes to a camera! But I guess if I want to get good video I better get used to the idea. Should be useful at the full scale airshows too. What camera are you using GB? (Sorry for the little derailment! )
I use a Sony Handycam the is no longer sold. In fact, I got it for $199 on a great Black Friday deal at Best Buy

Here is my review of it to give you a good overview as to what comparable Sony cameras will do:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I was thinking though. It makes sense that the B-17 is brushed, as you can use one esc to power it. Does the as3x system and/or motors not handle 2s? I'm curious, because I can't find any info except the 1s bird upgraded to brushless
All I know is the the second flight went a lot better and that I noticed a lot of misalignment in the tail section that will be my project over the next few days.

This is the second flight with this plane:
YouTube Video
Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Sure takes off quickly, almost as soon as it moves it is in the air. I read about, or saw some videos rather, that the plane is not great in wind, especially with landing. The wing area is large and with wind it kind of floats around, not wanting to land. You can see it a bit in your landing, almost wants to push back up. I'll definitely have to get this one. What's the airspeed you figure? Looks about the same as the Pitts, maybe a little slower, although clearly not the thrust the Pitts has. Curious to see how she glides
Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Yeah I wrote an article for Servo magazine a while ago that more than paid for that Canon camera.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It isn't easy filming planes this size, no doubt. My dad took some low pass picture of the Pitts, with me taking the plane down to almost zero airspeed and almost going into a harrier. On the B-17, I doubt I think pictures would be even more difficult, with the lack of aerobatic abilities.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,212 Times in 2,116 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (320)

IMHO, that B-17 is right up there with the air hogs rc planes, and they should include a Transmitter with that B-17 and drop the price down to about $60.00, No way in Heck, is that plane worth $160.00, you cant fly it in any wind, low on power, brushed motors ? Come on now, $160.00 ? No Way Jose

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #14
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Actually the UMX planes fly exceptionally well in the wind, better than the non-AS3X planes, and better than planes twice the size of the UMX series (Inverza 280 and such). The Parkzone micros are around 70-100 bucks, and the Eflite name gives you AS3X and better detail (although the UMX Sbach and Beast kind of lack detail IMO). AirHogs...hardly. The fact that the UMX planes actually fly sets them apart from Airhogs. I remember having a few Airhogs, the free flight models and one rc. Half the time the freeflight models didn't fly, in fact one was made with a rubber band attached wing and the moment you threw it, the wing would just come off. The RC one I had...well it did fly somewhat, but angle of attack and airspeed were combined in the throttle. I think the pusher props were made with a good amount of down thrust and when throttle was increased, it would push the rear of the plane down, and thus allowed the plane to climb, albeit slowly. Turning was differential thrust. It lacked power as well, and you had to get a really good toss so it wouldn't hit the ground. I remember hitting a thermal with it once, kept going up and up, followed by a loss of signal. That was the end of it.

I admit that the B-17 is a tad overpriced, but all of the UMX planes fly very well; an SBach will fly like an SBach, and my Pitts does all of the aerobatics a larger one would do.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:54 AM   #15
GBLynden

Sure takes off quickly, almost as soon as it moves it is in the air. I read about, or saw some videos rather, that the plane is not great in wind, especially with landing. The wing area is large and with wind it kind of floats around, not wanting to land. You can see it a bit in your landing, almost wants to push back up. I'll definitely have to get this one. What's the airspeed you figure? Looks about the same as the Pitts, maybe a little slower, although clearly not the thrust the Pitts has. Curious to see how she glides
Part of that is because it doesn't have a steerable tail wheel. It sucks in wind as you can see in the second video when the wind kicks up. It is WAY slower than the Pitts and is less than half of the speed. The Pitts is on another planet compared to this plane.

It isn't easy filming planes this size, no doubt. My dad took some low pass picture of the Pitts, with me taking the plane down to almost zero airspeed and almost going into a harrier. On the B-17, I doubt I think pictures would be even more difficult, with the lack of aerobatic abilities.
It is hard to video smaller twitchier planes like this for sure. The B-17 is bigger and slower than my other micros, so pictures and video should be much easier with it should you decide to get it.

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
IMHO, that B-17 is right up there with the air hogs rc planes, and they should include a Transmitter with that B-17 and drop the price down to about $60.00, No way in Heck, is that plane worth $160.00, you cant fly it in any wind, low on power, brushed motors ? Come on now, $160.00 ? No Way Jose
I can't disagree much with any of this. I am going to continue to make adjustments to make it more flyable, but it certainly isn't worth $160 to me.

Actually the UMX planes fly exceptionally well in the wind, better than the non-AS3X planes, and better than planes twice the size of the UMX series (Inverza 280 and such). The Parkzone micros are around 70-100 bucks, and the Eflite name gives you AS3X and better detail (although the UMX Sbach and Beast kind of lack detail IMO). AirHogs...hardly. The fact that the UMX planes actually fly sets them apart from Airhogs. I remember having a few Airhogs, the free flight models and one rc. Half the time the freeflight models didn't fly, in fact one was made with a rubber band attached wing and the moment you threw it, the wing would just come off. The RC one I had...well it did fly somewhat, but angle of attack and airspeed were combined in the throttle. I think the pusher props were made with a good amount of down thrust and when throttle was increased, it would push the rear of the plane down, and thus allowed the plane to climb, albeit slowly. Turning was differential thrust. It lacked power as well, and you had to get a really good toss so it wouldn't hit the ground. I remember hitting a thermal with it once, kept going up and up, followed by a loss of signal. That was the end of it.

I admit that the B-17 is a tad overpriced, but all of the UMX planes fly very well; an SBach will fly like an SBach, and my Pitts does all of the aerobatics a larger one would do.
This one doesn't fly like the other UM/UMX planes. It is average at best IMO.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Surely it's much better than Air Hogs though. Perhaps it should be looked at in a scale way. The real B17 didn't have the performance of other planes, it was a flying elephant. I'll probably wait to see if it goes down it price over the next while, maybe my LHS will have a promotion thing. At the price though, I should've been made with separate esc going behind each motor, running four little brushless guys. My main concern with brushed is the longevity, and the fact that I will need 1s batteries too, most annoying thing, with different connectors and such. Those are the things that turned me off the other ww2 planes...why shouldn't they have more power in them?

It seems as though you aren't impressed currently, I'll wait and see if your view change to help me decide on it.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
GBLynden

I was hoping to fly it again today to change my opinion of it, but the weather is not cooperating. I hope it gets better later on so I can test the adjustments I have made. I really do hope to enjoy this plane at some point.

Regarding wanting it to fly scale, that was exactly my expectation. I love flying my planes scale and don't much care about them having a lot of speed. Speaking of speed this one is probably like a slow Champ speedwise.

GB
Old 12-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
streff

Out of interest my indoor flying group has 5 Lancaster and 2 Halifax bombers all scratchbuilt that we have been flying for a couple of years now.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #19
GBLynden

Very cool!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #20
GBLynden

Here are some videos with of my UMX B-17 with bigger heavier batteries. Perhaps I have to rethink my position on this plane and it flies MUCH better now:

This is with the Hyperion 550mAh:
YouTube Video

This is my the Nano-Tech 600mAh:
YouTube Video

I flew both within about 10 minutes of each other in nearly identical conditions, which was very calm air with the wind changing direction slightly with the temperature in the low 30's.

Needless to say, the stock 250mAh will be collecting dust as a result of these findings
Old 01-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #21
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

I have found a few planes that fly better with larger batteries for ballast....

One example being the Dynam appx 1250mm span P-51. OEM says 2000 mah 3S and that will fly it as long as you have power. Dead stick is like hitting a brick wall and its glide slope is almost vertical. Just not enough weight to maintain airspeed.
I dropped in 4S 4000 mah and its a hoot to fly with a very pleasant glide... Same motor, ESC and prop. still well under the rated current and watts for the ESC and motor.

I very rarely say a model needs more weight, but it does happen. That extra weight might as well be battery for more power and/or flight duration.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #22
GBLynden

This is certainly one of the most extreme cases of this I have come across with my nearly 20 planes (I am sure you have a ton more, so that number may seem small).

All I really know is that I am very happy that I am finally able to fly this plane how I expected to be able to fly it when I first bought it

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes