Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
RayDF

Club: Vista View Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default Which brand is "best"?

I wonder which brand(s) of RC airplanes in RTF / BNF / ARF format (foam) have the highest quality? In other modeling worlds, for example, there are brands that are regarded as having top quality, such as Tamiya in plastic models and Marklin in model railroads but I wonder about RC foam airplanes?

For example, I've heard that Hangar 9's models are highly regarded by many folks.

Thanks!

Ray
Miami, FL
Old 08-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Hanger 9 dont do foam planes.

If you are looking at only foam then the the Horizon Hobby (Hanger 9 is Horizon too BTW) brands are probably as good as any (Efite, Parkzone etc).
Old 08-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

Best is a little hard to quantify sometimes.
Best radios ( rtf ). Best motors. Best servos. Best foam. Best design. Best after purchase support.
Best value.
Not one manufacturer is tops in all areas. Horizon comes close, but some of their electronics and servos aren't great. Durafly makes some great planes but support and parts availability aren't great.
It really comes down to picking a model that has the short comings you can live with.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

Yep, I think that you have to accept with foamy models that they are all built to a price. You arent going to get genuine top draw quality components in a foamy model because if you did the price would be out of the range people are willing to pay for a foam model.

Good call on the Durafly models. The ones I've come accross, while not perfect, have been very nice and at a very reasonable price.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)
Default Best Brand - Relative to What Factors....?

Like stated previously and probably more to come.....

It's all relative to many factors.....predominantly what most folks personally find to their liking.

Although there are many opinions.......a good way to determine "what's Best" is to research what the serious RC'ers fly. Develop a list of model types, materials, sizes, prices and skill levels........that will help narrow down the possibilities.

Then it's really up to one's taste and ability.

Some good resource's are the AMA magazines, Forum web-sites, RC flying club members and LHS guys you trust....!

AMA 928214
Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

I Scratch build most of mine and only own a couple ARF planes but like others have said i have a bunch of friends flying durafly ,parkzone and others. I own a Multiplex fun cub and a Acromaster by the same company and love them both . They are both my go to plane in the fun factor and fly great .I have had hanger 9 and e-flight by horizon hobbys and they are a nice ARF with very good hardware plus they all flew well. joe
Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

Multiplex makes great foam aircraft. Wide speed range and great flight qualities, but you pay more.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 08-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
Multiplex makes great foam aircraft. Wide speed range and great flight qualities, but you pay more.
After flying my fun cub with the flaps down and the goffing off by my flying buddys and me do with it i would pay twice as much for my second one now . lol joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funcub.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	176886  
Old 08-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Friends: (7)

Horizon Hobby offers arguably the best support in the industry, which is something to factor into a discussion about "bestness."

Old 08-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

HH does indeed offer the best support but they sure don't give anything away. I've had my share of PZ's and Eflights over the last few years. One problem with HH is they have a tendency to quickly discontinue a model.

In a little over 3 years, I've bought over 30 planes, most of which have been made from foam. Did I say addiction? Almost 1 per month.

My new favorites in terms quality are #1: Freewing and #2: FMS. Both great. Now, back to support. My new best friend as far as providing support is Motion RC. Very much like HH when you have a problem. In fact, Motion just picked up the HH line as well as Dynam. One stop shop with free shipping and good parts support.

-Hawk
Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Horizon Hobby offers arguably the best support in the industry, which is something to factor into a discussion about "bestness."
I agree with you ,i sent them a reciever to get fixed and told them i had crashed the plane so it was my fault it was not working and they sent me a new one no charge. Thats service !
Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #12
RayDF

Club: Vista View Flyers
Default Good info -- thanks!

Thank you very much for the excellent information. Now I'm much clearer as to what to look for and what brands to look for in my next airplane.

Ray
Miami, FL
Old 08-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I agree with you ,i sent them a reciever to get fixed and told them i had crashed the plane so it was my fault it was not working and they sent me a new one no charge. Thats service !
If you search through various web sites about Spektrum's warranty procedure, you'll find this type of response is very common.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #14
RepRapper

Friends: (1)

I think this is the most impressive foam airplane I have ever seen or at least the toughest.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:52 AM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

The Assassin is a kit though and he asked about ARF/RTF planes. But I agree that the CrashTestHobby.com Assassin is the most crash resistant, agile, fun plane out there. With an Assassin crashes have no consequences.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
domerlee

I use syma. It's ok for beginner and affordable price.

We love RC hobby.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 AM   #17
Ben D wing

View Ben D wing's Gallery50
Club: Leek and Moorlands Model Gliding Association.
Friends: (1)

The best quality Foamie kits are without doubt made by Multiplex. I have yet to find any other manufacturer that has the same crispness of moulding, surface finish and fit of parts. Not only that, they fly darned well too. I'm my experience the worst ever quality Foamie I've had the misfortune to buy was the original E-flite Carbon Z Yak. It had poor quality mouldings, chronic fit of parts, really shocking paintwork and IMHO it was hopelessly overpriced. However, in its defence it did fly well.

The original Dead-Stick Dummy!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #18
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Ben D wing View Post
The best quality Foamie kits are without doubt made by Multiplex. I have yet to find any other manufacturer that has the same crispness of moulding, surface finish and fit of parts. Not only that, they fly darned well too.
See, that's where we get in trouble. You regard quality as having to do with crispness of molding (left side of the pond spelling), surface finish and parts fit. But take the Assassin for instance.

When you receive the box of foam you're really disappointed. The EPP foam is HAIRY, with stringers going everywhere. And it's really wimpily flexible, especially the elevons. You just look in disgust and say "Where's the beef?"

But you're wrong. This is just a severely unconventional plane. The instructions say rub the wing halves together to get rid of the "hair" but I just took a shaver to it and it came out smooth. You begin by gluing the two wing halves together and then things get really crazy!

Because you take a soldering iron, a steel ruler and steel nerves and proceed to melt channels into the foam to glue spars into! It's pretty difficult to make yourself mangle a nice piece of foam, but you better do it because these Utah guys really know how to make a plane.

Then you take Scotch Extreme Packing tape, 2" wide and with fibers woven in right angles, expensive stuff! and you put that on in the pattern they tell you to. Over that you iron on laminate, basically UV protection DocuLam. Some people use paint on the foam under the laminate, some use paint and trim tape over it. Okay your plane is done. Looks great!

That means you're going to cut holes all over it for your servos, radio, battery, ESC, etc. Cutting up a "finished" airframe is really a hard thing to do but you have to repeat to yourself "these guys are freakin' geniuses" over and over. Drinking helps.

When you're done the plane looks like a million bucks. It doesn't look like anything else. The elevons, pure EPP foam are as hard and stiff as balsa with two or three layers of laminate on them. All your equipment is embedded in the foam, protected from impact.

This plane actually taught my son-in-law to fly. After doing the fatal Push Pod Pile Driver with his Bixler he was ready to give up on flying. He saw my CrashTestHobby.com Grim Reaper and got a hankering for an Assassin.

Since crashes have no consequences, you can crash and crash until you fly. That's what he did and today he's probably a better pilot than I am. The Assassin, after probably a hundred crashes, looks like the day he built it. If you build an Assassin today you can be flying it five years from now. No Multiplex plane can make that kind of claim without muchas weasel clauses. The Assassin doesn't need weasel clauses. Crashes have no consequences. Period.

Now I might call that quality. Scale guys would say "don't make me laugh." And they'd take off on panel detailing, surface finish, paint job, etc. Quality relates to what YOU want to do. And saying one company definitely has the best quality says much more about you than it does about the company. That's the nature of the hobby. So instead of saying "this is the best" we should confine ourselves to saying "this is great."
Old 08-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #19
jcmors
Gravity always wins

Default Ford or Chevy? PC or Mac? :)

"The best" is usually very subjective. As has already been said, there are many factors. Best Support? Best parts availability? Best looks? Best Flying? Also most of us are familiar with only a few brands so everyone's opinion will be subject to the brands they have experienced.

That said, of the relatively few brands I have experienced, Eflite/ParkZone (HorizonHobby) and Flyzone are my personal favorites. Both have relatively good parts support though HorizonHobby parts are available in nearly every LHS across the United States at least.

I have a flyzone Aircore and a flylite, an eflite spitfire and a umx Carbon Cub I am thinking about getting a parkzone F4U Corsair. I like the parts availability and quality of both of these brands. I also like the Tx-r feature of the Flyzone brand allowing me to use the same transmitter along with an Anylink to fly both brands.

To each their own. Whatever you fly... Have Fun!

Jim
Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by jcmors View Post
"The best" is usually very subjective. As has already been said, there are many factors. Best Support? Best parts availability? Best looks? Best Flying? Also most of us are familiar with only a few brands so everyone's opinion will be subject to the brands they have experienced.

That said, of the relatively few brands I have experienced, Eflite/ParkZone (HorizonHobby) and Flyzone are my personal favorites. Both have relatively good parts support though HorizonHobby parts are available in nearly every LHS across the United States at least.

I have a flyzone Aircore and a flylite, an eflite spitfire and a umx Carbon Cub I am thinking about getting a parkzone F4U Corsair. I like the parts availability and quality of both of these brands. I also like the Tx-r feature of the Flyzone brand allowing me to use the same transmitter along with an Anylink to fly both brands.

To each their own. Whatever you fly... Have Fun!

Jim

Yup
The best radio/servos/motor/esc/battery packs are the ones you see the most of at your own local cub

One good reason to belong to a club.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yup
The best radio/servos/motor/esc/battery packs are the ones you see the most of at your own local cub

One good reason to belong to a club.
I would tend to agree with this statement.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 08-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #22
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I would tend to agree with this statement.
Me too ! joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners