Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default USB Computer Microscope

I just got a new toy today, a little microscope that displays on your PC.

Take a look:
http://www.oasisscientific.com/20mp-...-diameter.html

(I bought mine from www.amazon.com)

This unit has magnification from covering several inches in diameter, to the letter "D" of the date code of a common nickel.

It will be used for soldering surface mount components and examining this type of stuff.

The attached photos show its capabilities. I've shrunk down the files from 5 Mb to 500 Kb to be compatible with wattflyer photo limits.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fried Winding.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	175891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nickel.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	175892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nickel D.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	175893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flight Counter I.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	175894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flight Counter II.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	175895  

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #2
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery80
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Denny,
That is just too cool for school!

Thanks for the link and the new item for my non-RC wish list.

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

At 2MP and 250x magn ... mmmm wonder what it really looks like fully pushed to limits as I suspect the magn is digital ? and 2MP is not exactly pushing boundaries ...... even my mobile phone has higher res than that ...

But a handy inspection tool ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
At 2MP and 250x magn ... mmmm wonder what it really looks like fully pushed to limits as I suspect the magn is digital ? and 2MP is not exactly pushing boundaries ...... even my mobile phone has higher res than that ...

But a handy inspection tool ....

Nigel
I was a bit worried about the possibility that the 250X magnification was digital in nature. As you move the objective closer to the object to be viewed, the unit needs to be focused by a focus control at the top of the microscope. There are no computer controls to increase magnification.

That said, when blowing up the 0.04 inch sized letter "D" to four inches high on an American nickel, there is some grainy showing up on the computer screen. Part of the magnification shows up related to the size of your computer monitor, ie, a 20 inch monitor would have twice the magnification of a 10 inch monitor.

Before retiring, I had access to some pretty expensive binocular microscopes in our Quality Control department, and noticed the same effect showing up when zooming in at high powers.

That grainy stuff might be an optical effect, similar to the maximum magnification of about 50X per inch diameter of the lense/mirror of your astronomy type telescope. Perhaps some optical experts can respond to this??? FYI, the lense on this microscope is pretty small in diameter, around the same size as those lenses in cellphone cameras.

As for the number of pixels, those astronomy digital cameras also don't have a lot of pixels. They also run perhaps 2 Meg pixels or so. But those units are not cheap.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Astronomy camera doesn't need extreme resolution as it's usually looking for colour and brightness ...

But take such as Facial Recognition, retinal scan or such activity that requires deep detailing that's another story.

Thinking of PC based visual gear ... I was interested a while back in underwater video gear ...

There was a set of gear with waterproof camera, cable and USB input to a PC to display underwater objects such as scanning a yacht hull etc. The whole set-up was less than 100 ...
I was interested because of my other hobby - yachting. My private channel of the river is on the outer bend of the river and tends to get crap coming in ... that has at times been a problem for my yachts. Telegraph pole was one !!
I decided against it in the end as it was only B&W and the pixel count was too low. I would be better of buying a divers case for a camera ... hanging of a pole and using that ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat