Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 04:07 AM   #1
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default Blade CX2

So one of the guys I work with has developed an interest in helis, not planes even though his interest came from me flying planes. I worked out the yaw issues so his first flights would be good, or at least the best they can be. Overall, the heli seems stable, but there exists some annoyances. First, the pack is so dang hard to get into the heli. Secondly, the flybar bends from nothing. He hadn't even flown it yet and before my first attempt I came across a slight bend. Lastly the heli doesn't do much other than hover. Sure it goes forward, back, left, right, but so slowly. Can this be fixed. Yes, the settings are good for first time pilots, like my friend, but I would find myself getting bored quickly with how sedate flight is; my 1SQ quad at lowest rates is less sedate. I'm sure at some point he will want more from it. The quality seems good, though brushless would have been nice, and flight time is great.
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance
 
pizzano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 1,195
Thanked 76 Times in 74 Posts
Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
So one of the guys I work with has developed an interest in helis, not planes even though his interest came from me flying planes. I worked out the yaw issues so his first flights would be good, or at least the best they can be. Overall, the heli seems stable, but there exists some annoyances. First, the pack is so dang hard to get into the heli. Secondly, the flybar bends from nothing. He hadn't even flown it yet and before my first attempt I came across a slight bend. Lastly the heli doesn't do much other than hover. Sure it goes forward, back, left, right, but so slowly. Can this be fixed. Yes, the settings are good for first time pilots, like my friend, but I would find myself getting bored quickly with how sedate flight is; my 1SQ quad at lowest rates is less sedate. I'm sure at some point he will want more from it. The quality seems good, though brushless would have been nice, and flight time is great.
Sorry to say, but it is what it is.....a very beginner 4ch coax that has lost popularity due to it's docile behavior even with up-grades.....that said, consider up-grades only as a measure for replacement of broken parts, it's really not worth throwing $$$ at....

Here's a link that may give some insight:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19355

Boardom will soon set in.... and rotor blade replacement will become frustraiting after out door flights in any kind of breeze!

AMA 928214
pizzano is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #3
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Sorry to say, but it is what it is.....a very beginner 4ch coax that has lost popularity due to it's docile behavior even with up-grades.....that said, consider up-grades only as a measure for replacement of broken parts, it's really not worth throwing $$$ at....

Here's a link that may give some insight:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19355

Boardom will soon set in.... and rotor blade replacement will become frustraiting after out door flights in any kind of breeze!
Oh yes the breeze lol! I was flying in the car wash at work, and the entrance was open. Wind was getting in there and created a suction of sorts, just pulled the heli towards the outside, not enough to combat the light wind, so just had to take it down. On the Blade site, it seems like the top end beginner heli, but clearly too beginner, considering I've outgrown it and I've never flown a heli... guess quads and flight in general have brought me past what the heli offers. If I ever get a heli for myself, it would not be a coaxial one it seems. It's a good heli for me to show him how to do stuff, but it barely does anything.
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,699
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 254 Times in 252 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

I still have my CX2. (I'll try to sell it again at our club's next swap meet!) I agree with all your guys observations. But I'll say sedate coax heli's like it are good for something, and that's learning basic controls and orientation. I used to set up 2 small tables and just practice taking off from one and landing on the other, back and forth. First tail-in, then sideways, then nose-in. Helps wire your brain to your hands. But it is a bit large for many indoor spaces, unless you have a pretty big house.

I actually put an AS350 body with lights on mine. The coolest mod I saw was a KA-27 body kit. Appropriate since the full scale one is coax too. I'm surprised we don't see RC coax helis with real rotors, at least for scale helis.

Here's the thread over at RCG. Don't know if they're still available.
xmech2k is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

I don't mind the sedate...if it was a trainer mode that could be put into a higher rate mode. What exactly makes a coax heli easier than a fixed pitch, besides just more sedate, though some make not be as sedate. I have an interest in helis, though not as much as planes, and it would be interesting to learn about the differences between collective pitch, fixed pitch, etc. My thoughts are that the coaxial are too simply for me, but are the fixed pitch enough to provide enjoyment?
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance
 
pizzano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 1,195
Thanked 76 Times in 74 Posts
Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

If one desires outdoor flight with a fixed pitch heli, a 200 size or greater is suggested.

Walkera, E-Flight Blade and Dynam E Razor are the most popular due to parts availability and durability.

The older fly bar type 200 FP has been discontinued by Blade, but there are a few still available new if you shop around. Blade's newer 200 SRX is FBL and a bit pricey for a 4ch rotor......but Spektrum compatible.

Both Walkera and Dynam carry FBL (without fly bar) and FB 4ch in the 200-250 size...a lot less expense than Blade and come RTF with TX/RX.

Syma, Double Horse and WLToys are just throw aways........I believe Exceed and Esky still make a couple of models like the Honey Bee....Esky (Honey Bee type) is a good learner 4ch (learner as in fly and fix).....all can be flown outside and in a slight breeze......I've owned several (more than 6) in the past and they helped me graduate into 6ch CCP 450's.

The biggest difference between CCP and FP is (in simple terms) the cyclic control......where a FP has an onboard 3-in-1 or 4-in-1 control board (they call a gyro....lol) that controls the pitch, yaw and tail direction electronically through head and tail motor speed.....The CCP has an independent gyro and independent main head rotor and tail rotor either belt or direct drive that are controlled both by throttle and gyro input. Which also allows for main blade pitch and tail rotor blade pitch to be adjusted and controlled independently.....unlike a fixed pitch rotor......there's alot more going on mechanically with a CCP and requires much more attention to both build adjustments and flying ability....!
A good programmable 6ch TX is required for CCP.....you can get away with a cheapie 4ch and still fly decent with a FP....

AMA 928214
pizzano is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

I was reading that one can fly a CP heli as a FP, and step up to CP on it later. I also came across that CP is better in wind. I have a 9xr, so I could easily have a CP programmed into it.
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance
 
pizzano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 1,195
Thanked 76 Times in 74 Posts
Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

I'd be interested in reading something new that discusses that possibility...lol

Some years back, a guy on the RunRyder forum put together an extensive build post showing that it can be done.....this was before the more advanced programmable TX's were common place.
It is possible...but why go through all of the mechanical mod's (it can't be done by simply changing rates and modes on any of todays TX's)....it still takes electronic and mechanical modifications...!

Besides, few, if any FP's fly as stable or predictable as any CCP.....particularly in wind....!

All fixed pitched birds only require 4ch's to function......a collective pitch is purposely designed to function properly on 6ch's......eliminating the two most critical aspects (rotor tail rudder/gyro authority and aileron pitch servo/throttle authority) and the ability to adjust main rotor and flybar pitch curves mechaniclly and electronically (if it's not FBL) on a CCP defeats the whole stability aspect..........I would be completely amassed if one converted a FBL CCP to FP with any success since all of it's flight characteristics are dependent on at least two additional/intergrated control board properties.......which are not even present on the FBL fixed pitch models......since they are not true gyro authority controlled...!

A bit more studying of the whole collective pitch concept may be considered if one truly believes it's a simple matter of programming a few TX rates/controls on the magnificent/magical 9xr......

AMA 928214
pizzano is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

So a CP heli is in every way a more stable flier, just more to setup and more controls. It's seems as if it would be best option for me, of course taking it slow, rather than starting off with a FP heli. It is seldom wind free here, except just before sunset, and unless I get a huge heli, fixed pitch won't handle the wind from what I read. It is a difficult situation to me. I've flown for a year, so orientation is no issue, and any quad I've flown, and the cx2, is just to basic for me. I am eying the 300 cfx. Cheaper would be nice, but that heli would allow me to use the orange module.
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #10
Bill Gibson
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 234
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Many years ago i messed around with .30 sized CP nitro helis..Kyosho Concept 30 DX, Shuttle ZX, and a Nexus....there were also FP nitro helis at the time, and it was no contest when it came to stability....especially in wind, the CP heli was the winner period....im flying a BLade 120sr and the one thing i miss is the instant reaction one gets from a CP simply because as you change your power setting, you are changing the angle of attack(pitch)as well , which makes for quick corrections, without "lag"...FP nitro helis were very bad about this...you HAD to keep main rotor speed up or the heli would simply fall to the ground......though i will say the electric FP helis dont have the lag issues as bad as the nitro stuff did....still in the, end, Collective still RULES!
Bill Gibson is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Hmm, sounds like I may be looking at a CP heli in the future. I've looked up some flying help for them, and it seems the answer is to start off with small pitch curves, and lower rates, allowing predictable flight. One thing I don't understand is how you control pitch, such as negative pitch? Not that I would go to inverted and stunts right away, but it seems though pitch controls lifts, as does throttle, so is pitch change as well as throttle changes, or throttle at a constant with pitch changing?
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #12
Bill Gibson
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 234
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
Hmm, sounds like I may be looking at a CP heli in the future. I've looked up some flying help for them, and it seems the answer is to start off with small pitch curves, and lower rates, allowing predictable flight. One thing I don't understand is how you control pitch, such as negative pitch? Not that I would go to inverted and stunts right away, but it seems though pitch controls lifts, as does throttle, so is pitch change as well as throttle changes, or throttle at a constant with pitch changing?
Im by no means an expert in this part, but pitch and power dont have to be proportional to each other thanks to computer radios.....you can set up throttle/ pitch "curves" where the pitch can be set at so many degrees positive or negative at a given throttle setting, but there is a balance as to how far you can go and not overspeed or overload the main rotor system among other things....! Thats where LOTS of experience(and mistakes)come into play......The only negative part of a CP machine, if it should be called negative at all, is settting the system up to work correctly.....then setting it up again(along with possibly replacing broken parts, as there are more of them) after a CRASH! Full size helis are CP, and regularly have to be tracked and balanced to keep them flying correctly and SAFELY!
Bill Gibson is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #13
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

I admit I know nothing about CP helis. It makes sense to me that they don't have to be proportional, but certainly it would be not be a good idea to all of a sudden put negative pitch on high throttle, or it would go from hover to being propelled into the ground. It is something I am interested in looking into more, broaden my horizons.
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:29 AM   #14
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance
 
pizzano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 1,195
Thanked 76 Times in 74 Posts
Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

I don't completely agree with this assesment:

"but pitch and power dont have to be proportional to each other thanks to computer radios."

It may just be a grammer translation or definition issue.....however, power may relate to rotor head speed, but the excepted term is more related to head speed RPM. Proportional is best defined as to the relationship of the main and tail rotor blades angle of attack at a neutral throttle (idle) RPM.......which must be originally set up mechanically (through linkage adjustments) in a neutral position for general flight on a CPP.....only after those settings have been dialed-in, the TX settings come into play..!

Here's an example of a typical (generally accepted in the sport) proportional pitch to throttle curve (head rotation speed and blade pitch) relationship for general flight of a Trex 450 ccp.

Throttle stick position 1 thru 5......1 being idle....3 being centered stick...5 being maxed up - full throttle.
Blade pitch position in degrees....0 degrees being level or flat.

Throttle 1 pitch 0 - throttle speed 0% of max
Throttle 2 pitch +3 degrees -throttle speed 40% of max
Throttle 3 pitch +5 degrees - throttle speed 65% to 70% of max
Throttle 4 pitch +7 degrees - throttle speed 85% of max
Throttle 5 pitch +9 degrees - Throttle speed 100%

For more advanced gentle sport flying:

Throttle 1 pitch -2 degrees - throttle speeed 90% of max
Throttle 2 pitch 0 degrees - throttle speed 85% of max
Throttle 3 pitch +2 degrees - throttle speed 80% of max
Throttle 4 pitch +5 degrees - throttle speed 85% of max
Throttle 5 pitch +10 degrees - throttle speed 100%

There are way to many 3D settings to show here.....most are customized by each pilots personal preferrences, size and power limits......thanks to todays advanced programmable TX's......

As one can see, CCP is not for the inexperienced heli pilot or those who have limited heli mechanical ability or experience..........these "blenders" can be very dangerous in the wrong hands and will cost one plenty of time and $$$$ to maintain and keep in the air....!

AMA 928214
pizzano is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:43 AM   #15
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Well it is something I am sure I could figure out. After all, they can be set to fly sedate no doubt. I'm good with mechanical and electronics. My main worry is that if I went to a FP heli, I would soon find myself limited, plus the fact that I couldn't fly in any wind, unless it were to be a 700 size, much too large for my hangar. So the throttle kill switch would be on, and as soon as it is off, the rotors go up to 90% throttle, negative pitch, which would actually allow the heli to fly inverted. Very interesting stuff. Never thought I would have a heli interest, but I do. So why do they cost so much time and money to maintain? Crashing I can see the $$$$ parts, but do they lose their settings under even basic flight, and require fiddling around with to get back to the desired settings? For the tail rotor, do the settings need to be adjusted separately, or does the system adjust the tail rotor to balance with the main rotor?
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance
 
pizzano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 1,195
Thanked 76 Times in 74 Posts
Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

thepiper92......

Well, if you've got the time and money....and nerves of steel, go for it...!

I promise the challenge will be nothing like you've been exposed to thus far (since you mention lack of heli experience).....You won't be the first or last plank pilot who has had success.......although, 85% of the those who were/are seriously into planks, generally let the heli's become desk trophies after less than a year.......there's a very good AMA article (about two years old) that discusses that very issue......the statistics are an eye opener.......!

If you'd like a ton of information related to CCP and FP.....try Hellifreak, runryder and the rchelicollective forums..... I'm a founding member at one, former moderator at another and a long time veteran resource provider at two others.....I'd stay away from rcdiscuss or rcgroups for heli's due to the continued misinformation and personal debates that go on at those sites......been there-done that....

Have fun and be safe (as Chellie says) CCP is to be respected and demands complete commitment and attention to detail....nothing like any advanced plank you may have experience with....

AMA 928214
pizzano is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #17
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
thepiper92......

Well, if you've got the time and money....and nerves of steel, go for it...!

I promise the challenge will be nothing like you've been exposed to thus far (since you mention lack of heli experience).....You won't be the first or last plank pilot who has had success.......although, 85% of the those who were/are seriously into planks, generally let the heli's become desk trophies after less than a year.......there's a very good AMA article (about two years old) that discusses that very issue......the statistics are an eye opener.......!

If you'd like a ton of information related to CCP and FP.....try Hellifreak, runryder and the rchelicollective forums..... I'm a founding member at one, former moderator at another and a long time veteran resource provider at two others.....I'd stay away from rcdiscuss or rcgroups for heli's due to the continued misinformation and personal debates that go on at those sites......been there-done that....

Have fun and be safe (as Chellie says) CCP is to be respected and demands complete commitment and attention to detail....nothing like any advanced plank you may have experience with....
The cost doesn't seem that much higher than building my own balsa planes. At 150 for a kit, a good 50-100 for covering, and about 100 for electronics, it's not much cheaper than what a CP heli would cost. I don't mind tinkering either, figuring out how to make things work. Planes aren't like that exactly, they just sort of work the moment you plug them in. Just how hard is this dark side of CP helis though? I am certainly up for a challenge nonetheless.
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Bill Gibson
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 234
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
I don't completely agree with this assesment:

"but pitch and power dont have to be proportional to each other thanks to computer radios."

It may just be a grammer translation or definition issue.....however, power may relate to rotor head speed, but the excepted term is more related to head speed RPM. Proportional is best defined as to the relationship of the main and tail rotor blades angle of attack at a neutral throttle (idle) RPM.......which must be originally set up mechanically (through linkage adjustments) in a neutral position for general flight on a CPP.....only after those settings have been dialed-in, the TX settings come into play..!

Here's an example of a typical (generally accepted in the sport) proportional pitch to throttle curve (head rotation speed and blade pitch) relationship for general flight of a Trex 450 ccp.

Throttle stick position 1 thru 5......1 being idle....3 being centered stick...5 being maxed up - full throttle.
Blade pitch position in degrees....0 degrees being level or flat.

Throttle 1 pitch 0 - throttle speed 0% of max
Throttle 2 pitch +3 degrees -throttle speed 40% of max
Throttle 3 pitch +5 degrees - throttle speed 65% to 70% of max
Throttle 4 pitch +7 degrees - throttle speed 85% of max
Throttle 5 pitch +9 degrees - Throttle speed 100%

For more advanced gentle sport flying:

Throttle 1 pitch -2 degrees - throttle speeed 90% of max
Throttle 2 pitch 0 degrees - throttle speed 85% of max
Throttle 3 pitch +2 degrees - throttle speed 80% of max
Throttle 4 pitch +5 degrees - throttle speed 85% of max
Throttle 5 pitch +10 degrees - throttle speed 100%

There are way to many 3D settings to show here.....most are customized by each pilots personal preferrences, size and power limits......thanks to todays advanced programmable TX's......

As one can see, CCP is not for the inexperienced heli pilot or those who have limited heli mechanical ability or experience..........these "blenders" can be very dangerous in the wrong hands and will cost one plenty of time and $$$$ to maintain and keep in the air....!
YEP! Head speed, rotor speed are just another way to say it...as it is ALL about RPM! Full size pilots refer to "pitch is power", especially in turbine helis, as turbines are "wicked up" to 98+% full rpms then to maintain rotor rpms as as pitch changes occur in flight, a govenor takes care of fuel control as the load increases/decreases to MAINTAIN those precious lil rpms!
And YEP! Be it the little toys we fly with 2 sticks, or the real deal there is a baseline that is set up mechanically, then from there, one can tweak....CAREFULLY!!
Im pretty sure that after i get in some more stick time with my 120SR, i will go with your advice on a CP heli.....im pretty sure that flying an FP heli for too long might make one a bit "lazy" as to how they really SHOULD fly along with the challenges that go with it which teaches US even more good stuff about how and why these crazy machines ....ACTUALLY FLY!
Bill Gibson is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #19
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Ordered the mcpx. A small one, but after asking around on helifreak, they seemed it to be the best one. It was stated that this is a matter of a regular car vs a sports car, and a Porsche can be used to go to the grocery store too.
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance
 
pizzano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 1,195
Thanked 76 Times in 74 Posts
Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Bill.....continuing on the journey with a fixed pitch is wise. The only issue I found was moving up in size. Although, I started with 200-250 class FP's, and never having spent any valued time on smaller, the jump to 450's had it's shocking realities.......the 450 was the first collective I had flown (after many prior hours on a sim).......but the FP's did properly prepare me for everything except speed/power and complete rudder authority.

It was recommended to me by many experienced CCP guys I hung out with, starting out with CCP smaller than a 450 would lend it's self to bad flying habits. Therefore, I listened, put my ego aside and took my share of learning lumps becoming a master mechanic and eventually a decent scale pilot........I look back now (even though I seldom fly heli's, just quads and planks) and I'm glad I started out a bit larger.

The biggest issue many beginner heli wanabies have is being over confindent due to having tinkered and flown planks (and now the much friendlier quads) with success............that's not a bad thing until it's carried over into the eventual frustrations every heli pilot will experience once reality sets in......that's what eventually chases so many plankers away from the heli environment (and the required, constant maintenance and adjustments) as well as the cost's. It's still, even today, more expensive to maintain a CCP (gas or electric) than most comparable sized planks......that's what finally drove me away....

Regardless, IMHO, there is no greater satisfaction I've ever experienced (in this hobby) than after having built and succesfully flown (and brought back down in one piece) a CCP bird.....maybe sex would come close.....

AMA 928214
pizzano is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #21
Bill Gibson
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 234
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Being a bit of an old guy so to speak, having flown nitro planes and helis in the 80s,90s, and early 2000s...the first thing i learned when i got into electric stuff a couple of years ago, is that it had NEVER been EASIER, or CHEAPER to learn to fly ANYTHING than it is now...even an entry level .30 size nitro heli back then would cost around 500 to 700 dollars by the time you aquired all the components needed to complete it, and make it flyable.......now take it out, land it hard and get a boom strike, or just lay it over on its side, and it could cost you a hundred bucks, and hours of set up time just to make it airworthy again!! Now im flying a heli that i have slammed into a wall more than once, on top of countless other "wrecks" ive had with it, and to this point have spent a total of 12 bucks to keep it flying.......a set of main blades for 8 bucks? Gimme a BREAK! 40.00 for a set of mains for my old nitro job...AND you had to REALLY balance em and cover em!! I was very lucky to have a friend back than who went down the same road you did, paid his dues and became EXTREMELY proficient at all aspects of the hobby....he was a HUGH help to me! The ease at which people can get flying in this hobby today can be problematic for the very reasons you stated.....we are slowly losing our builders and tinkerers in this hobby, because so many into the hobby have the plug and play, gotta do NOW mentality....and they dont get the very satisfaction you described you got from the learning experience of actually building and tweaking your own collective pitch heli! Thats VERY cool man! And i do realize that depending on the level one wants to get to in this hobby, and electric ship can EASILY cost as much if not MORE than a nitro.gas heli....no matter what level anyone wants to get to in this hobby....YA GOTTA KEEP IT FUN, or what the point of even doin it??
Bill Gibson is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #22
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,699
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 254 Times in 252 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Bill, I believe the builders and tinkerers are still out there. They may just be a lower percentage of RC pilots due to, as you said, the ease of getting into the hobby now. And don't even get me started on the quads, fpv, aerial photography...

And as an aside, I don't mean to be the spelling police, but I think I've seen you do this more than once:

Hugh



Huge



xmech2k is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:05 AM   #23
Bill Gibson
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 234
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Bill, I believe the builders and tinkerers are still out there. They may just be a lower percentage of RC pilots due to, as you said, the ease of getting into the hobby now. And don't even get me started on the quads, fpv, aerial photography...

And as an aside, I don't mean to be the spelling police, but I think I've seen you do this more than once:

Hugh by



Huge



Thanks man! Swear to GOD, I USED to be at least a decent speller, but ive got this A.D.D. thing going on thats driving me NUTS! Yeah, i get ya on the Quad thing!!!!
Bill Gibson is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 AM   #24
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,699
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 254 Times in 252 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Glad you saw the humor in that!

Just saw a YouTube video of a 440mph RC jet! And of course, down in the comments, someone says 'Put a camera in it'.... Sheesh! Why did anyone ever even bother with RC before the little cameras?!?

Sorry if I'm getting OT. Back to your regularly scheduled program...
xmech2k is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #25
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic
 
thepiper92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,261
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Lol thinks certainly took at turn! There is a lot of opposition. Perhaps starting small is bad, but the small mCPX takes crashes better, and I figure I can hover around at my car wash at work, before taking it out to the big bad outside. Another benefit of it is the lack of piro compensation...well not necessarily a benefit, but the fact that it will force me to control the swash myself may help me learn to control better. The heli also has tail blow out at times, an issue that would probably be non-existent if the tail rotor were not fixed pitch.
thepiper92 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Eflite Blade CX2 Parts Lot heli $30 shipped electrodude71 Helicopters- Electric For Sale & WTB 3 05-09-2014 02:15 PM
Blade CX2 questions dontrinko Multi-Rotors 3 12-19-2013 04:00 AM
Blade cx2 questions dontrinko E-Flite Helicopters 4 11-05-2013 01:39 AM
Ref; Blade CX2 Problem TomKnollRFV E-Flite Helicopters 9 07-24-2013 08:42 PM
blade cx2 , 1 day old. not taking off. please help me uncledaddy General RC E-Heli Talk 1 06-17-2011 01:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.59599 seconds with 69 queries