Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)
Default WL Toys v911

Anyone on here know anything about the WL Toys V911 heli. I have read reviews & watched videos on youtube by the research it seems to be a good cheap heli. I want something small for indoors but no counter rotaters I have the blade cx2 I don't find it to be that good of an outdoor heli and it's a little to big for my livingroom even thou I fly it around in the house. I find it boring. I have a mini titan E325 but I'm not up to that level yet I was going to sell it but changed my mind I think I can get better with it.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Dan Whitepath

Club: I was a member of the Selma Sky Raiders quite a few years ago.
Friends: (2)

Hello hangingon. I'm rather new to helis myself. I do not have the V911, but like you have read good reviews on it. I do have the Great Wall Xieda 9958. I also read many good reviews on it before deciding to try it. I also read a few folks say that it was not good for indoors. I have found the 9958 to be Great indoors as well as outdoors. It handles more wind than one would expect for such a tiny heli. Indoors, you just have to handle the cyclic carefully to control your forward speed. I have read a number of folks say that the WL toys is Better than the Xieda and would love to try one myself but I am saving my nickles and dimes for a KDS 450 QS. I am flying (or trying anyway) a Blade CP pro given to me by Steve Cooper. I had an old Blade CP of my own that I got tired of replacing parts for. I've used my old CP for spares for the Pro and am managing some circuits and figure 8s, no 3d of any kind. It is a total bear to fly! For a first 4 channel fixed pitch I don't think you could go wrong with the WL V911 or the Xieda 9958. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
LowThudd

Friends: (0)

FWIW, I was able to get an Align T-Rex 100s on eBay for $33 shipped. The V911 is basically a copy of the trex 100. I have heard good reviews of the V911 as well, and I may get one. Parts are cheaper for it. Also one cool thing is that both the Trex and the WLtoys helis work on the same controller. The controller is also a Turnigy compat unit, so it is easy to operate either on a FlySky/Turnigy 9x Tx.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
sbstnp

V911 flies better than TREX100.

I"ve had mine since last year (for fun I'm much more advanced with helis) and never broken anything on it. I let my friends fly it all the time and usually it just bounces off things.

I highly recommend this for someone who's a beginner heli pilor it will help tremendously with orientation and basic 4 channel control. At the same time it's self stabilizing with the 45 degrees flybar.

If you are a beginner I recommend getting some extra flybars and skids you'll probably break a few.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
LowThudd

Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
V911 flies better than TREX100.

I"ve had mine since last year (for fun I'm much more advanced with helis) and never broken anything on it. I let my friends fly it all the time and usually it just bounces off things.

I highly recommend this for someone who's a beginner heli pilor it will help tremendously with orientation and basic 4 channel control. At the same time it's self stabilizing with the 45 degrees flybar.

If you are a beginner I recommend getting some extra flybars and skids you'll probably break a few.
Thanks for the info. I was not aware that the v911 was superior and cheaper. I am new to single rotors, and after a mishap with a 450 that I bought for $50, I decided to get a micro. I'll have to pick up a v911.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
hangingon

Default V911

I did get the V911. I have had it a few weeks now it's very stable I enjoy it more than my cx2 and forward flight is better than the cx2. I should have the parts to fix my mini titan monday the 18th so that will give me 3 flying helis. I'm thinking of getting the V922 3d micro heli if my wife will let me. Thank you all for the info!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
hangingon

Default V911

Lowthud I got my V911 for 52.00 shipped from a U.S. seller it took 4 days. It's a great heli easy to fly it's more stable than the 450 3d helis. I don't see using it for a trainer to step up to a 450 size heli but for something to have fun with and learn basic flying skills. The V911 is a great little heli & will hover hands off and is very tuff and can take some hits and not break. The reason I don't feel it's a good trainer to go from it to a 450 is because it's too stable but it might be a good step before going to a bigger fp heli then to the 450's & up.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
LowThudd

Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
Lowthud I got my V911 for 52.00 shipped from a U.S. seller it took 4 days. It's a great heli easy to fly it's more stable than the 450 3d helis. I don't see using it for a trainer to step up to a 450 size heli but for something to have fun with and learn basic flying skills. The V911 is a great little heli & will hover hands off and is very tuff and can take some hits and not break. The reason I don't feel it's a good trainer to go from it to a 450 is because it's too stable but it might be a good step before going to a bigger fp heli then to the 450's & up.
Thanks. I have the controller from the TREX100 and my 9x with a Turnigy module, so all I need is the heli it's self. I can get a v911 for @ $30. Since the parts are so cheap, I am considering building one out of upgraded parts(aluminum). It will cost about the same as buying one without a controller.

Waiting on some feathering shafts to get my Storm 450 back in flying condition, and I have some Align 450 parts including a frame. So I have plenty of spares for the 450. I just wanted something I could fly indoors, and learn a bit about single rotor flight.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
hangingon

Default V911 aluminum upgrades

I seen some post about the v911 aluminum upgrades and some parts were good but one of the parts has slop in it and I don't recall which part it was. It was on more than 1 persons review of the upgraded parts. I think some people use Nine Eagles solo pro parts to upgrade their v911 check out some of the you tube vids. of the v911 & v922. The only problem I had with my v911 is I was flying it outside and got a little to aggressive and I heard a blade strike and it had to be the blade & flybar no damage was caused. I've never seen a Trex 100 in person or flown a Trex 100 but by what I have read and videos I've watched the 911 is more stable and a better flyer by those reviews. I bought some 180mah batteries which are longer so when I first take off it seemed as if the heli was a little tail heavy but once it's up in the air it leveled out and no trim adjustments were needed. The 922 3D heli is around 100 bucks
Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
LowThudd

lol, yea I just got done reading the reviews on the Aluminum parts. Appears the Swash/Holder are good, but still heavy. So no go. I found a US supplier on eBay with v911 for $26 shipped. I'll probably go that route. I just need to make sure I get the old style with the same batt as my Trex, as I have 6 batts already.

As for my Trex, I have a slightly bent main shaft, so I cannot comment on stability. However, the Align made aluminum parts are the same weight as the plastic, and do improve performance. I may upgrade that.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
LowThudd

This one is domestic and old batt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BNF-Helicopt...item1e6ed02392

I have to wait a bit, I have spent way too much on toys this month. lol
Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
hangingon

Default 911

By what I have read and heard on youtube for the reviews the new v911 is better than the old ver. & the battery and how it plugs in is 1 of the improvements. The batteries are cheap the upgraded batteries I bought was 3 for 14.00 Vicious teknology 180mah from ebay & I get a little bit more flying time. I think the older 911 the battery would come lose. Checkout vtail terry on youtube he does a review of his older & newer v911. I bought my heli and had to wait a week or so to buy the extra batteries sometimes it's worth the wait if your getting a better heli. I might be wrong but I was thinking I read or watched a video review and people were putting the Trex skids on their older v911 because the batteries fit better in the Trex. When I bought mine it was a US seller cenn2010 but my packgae was marked from banggood.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
LowThudd

Interesting comparitive write up: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=472591

There are pluses and minuses to everything. I think that write up illustrates that.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
LowThudd

After some adjustment, lube and a new flybar finally got the T100 flying. Quick little bugger! I will still be getting a v911. At the price they are going for, it's impossible to resist. lol
Old 03-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #15
hangingon

I had read that review before buying. once I got my 911 what I found not so true is if you have mastered coax helis it's a step up. The v911 I feel can be a first heli without learning on a coax heli first. Your right on the reviews for myself I don't see any flaws in the newer v911.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
hangingon

Well let me know how the two compare once you get the v911.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #17
LowThudd

I first got a Coaxial about 6-7 years ago, and I never mastered it. I think those old Helis were just really archaic, having to add weights to different parts in order to get it to hover. I gave it up pretty quick. So technically, this is my first successfull heli.

Will compare when I get a v911.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #18
hangingon

Default 911

After a few crashes with the mini titan I set it down for over a year & gave planes a try I have 2 planes now. The cost to repair the mini titan is a little to much for my income. 1 crash cost me 80.00 bucks in repairs. My piper cub plane has cost me about 20 bucks to repair in a year of flying then I spent 24.00 more to upgrade it to a brushless system. I got a gws slow stick for christmas which I have only had to buy props and only had to replace the prop 1 time. I have been using a sims for a long time now and I will find out soon if it's helped me as my mini titan parts should be here next week main shaft & gears to rebuild the servo. If it turns out bad on my next flight I may try to find a heli in between the v911 & mini titan.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
LowThudd

If you have a 9x running Open9x, I found a Template that seems to work well: http://opentxforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1978

Made for the v911, but works fine on the t100 also.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
MWShelton

View MWShelton's Gallery8

I have 6 V911's LOL. I bought a Turnigy radio and I've been flying the first one over 6 months and havent wore it out. The best mod you can do is get a Turnigy radio, they're making an inexpensive 6 ch now. You can trim it out so much better and put expo where you want it. The last 5 ones I bought I paid $19.99 for from a company called Bangood. They're Asian and sometimes it takes 4 or 5 weeks to get your order but hey, $19.99 for a new BNF Heli that does fly better than a $100 Trex. I have 2 of the $100 Trex's, had to have two to keep one in the air. There's a yellow V911, its a clone of a clone. Two of my 911's are the yellow one. Its built a little sturdier and flies a little different but its as stable as the original. You can buy the BNF version of them from Bangood for $19.99 also and free shipping!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
hangingon

Default The fleet of v911's

They are great little heli's I was checking out the 9X v2. I want to get the WL-Toys 3D heli & quad copter I don't think I would get another v911 for myself unless mine broke and needed replaced then I would get another one But that would be a nice tx to fly the 911 with and cheaper if I used it for other aircraft. Is their things that are better about the trex 100 over the v911. I watched a v911 vs. trex 100 video & few others on the trex I didn't see the button on top of the trex tx to change the performance mode like the v911 has. I think there is a chance the Trex might be china made it's odd that Align would build a heli that will bind with a Turnigy TX. Unless it's the module that comes with the 9X v2 which lets it bind to different 2.4 Ghz aircraft.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
LowThudd

Deleted, duplicate
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
LowThudd

Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
They are great little heli's I was checking out the 9X v2. I want to get the WL-Toys 3D heli & quad copter I don't think I would get another v911 for myself unless mine broke and needed replaced then I would get another one But that would be a nice tx to fly the 911 with and cheaper if I used it for other aircraft. Is their things that are better about the trex 100 over the v911. I watched a v911 vs. trex 100 video & few others on the trex I didn't see the button on top of the trex tx to change the performance mode like the v911 has. I think there is a chance the Trex might be china made it's odd that Align would build a heli that will bind with a Turnigy TX. Unless it's the module that comes with the 9X v2 which lets it bind to different 2.4 Ghz aircraft.
The Trex is made in Taiwan. Where it's parts were made, who knows. lol

Both the v911(and other WLToys) and Trex 100 are FlySky/Turnigy protocol. AFAIK, all 9x currently sold are V2. The module I use for my T100 is a Eurgle branded FlySky module. The nice thing about the 9x is that for $30 you can buy an OrangeRx module which is DSM2 protocol http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html . Which let's you fly Horizon BNF. And the FrSky DJT module allows for cheaper Rxs and Telemetry.

BTW, here is a great deal on a FlySky 9x with module, that will work with the WLToys helis: http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html

Of course, in order to use the computer to program you will need to install a SmartieParts board http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331. And you may want to install a backlight also http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Blue_DIY_.html.

Another alternative is the new Turnigy 9xR: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Module_.html and programmer: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...321&aff=460671

It is cheaper in the long run, but it does have a few issues like sticky programming buttons, and the antenna sticking out of the back. But it is already loaded with open source firmware, and has a backlight installed. But, you will need to buy a Turnigy/Flyskt module sepperately: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...455682276.html

There is a VERY long thread on the 9xR, you may at least want to scan through it to see what people think about it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628785

The best option(if you can wait a couple months) is the new FrSky x9D, which does everything the 9x/9xR does, plus higher quality, up to 16ch and onboard telemetry. And it will accept the FlySky/Turnigy/Eurgle/IMax/CopterX module. http://www.frsky-rc.com/ad/lIST.ASP

If you want you can check out my thread here on the 9x/9xR: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=69326&page=2
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #24
LowThudd

Banggood has a BNF v922 for $60: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...f-p-65598.html as well as a v911 for $20

I have never ordered from Banggood before. Are they trustworthy? I would very much like to get those 2 helis next month.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
hangingon

Default Banggood

Lowthud I order my v911 from CNN2010 from ebay. I think it's a US seller for banggood. My payment looks to have gone to banggood and my package was marked banggood. I got my heli in 3 or 4 days. Banggood seems to be a good company. On tail boom terry's v911 review he said he buy's his from banggood. My heli didn't come in the box it was repacked and was sent by UPS it was stated on the seller's site about packging.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk