Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
time bandit

Friends: (12)
Default Mountain Models customer service is sketchy

I ordered a kit from Mountain Models last Thursday, March 13th at 5am before going to work. I received an email that my order had been received and was being processed. I ordered with priority shipping through USPS and the shipping says 2-3 business days. I have not received the order yet, it's been two business days, but that's not the problem. I have sent two emails and left a voice mail about the order and not one single person has tried to contact me. I just want to know if they have shipped the order and why there is not tracking number. When a vendor doesn't return my messages I start getting a bad feeling about them. I hope I'm wrong on this one.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

maybe it's just me......today is day 3 as a business day goes and i would try contacting them tomorrow.

i will agree when trying to call these online hobby companies it can test ones patients.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Couple of things. First USPS priority mail at 2-3 days isn't a guarantee. They, in my experience, are smart to do that as they simply don't do the best job at all times. They don't guarantee those times either. To get guaranteed from USPS you must use Priority Express shipping. It is VERY expensive....likely more than the cost of your kit.

Second - I suspect that your order may have to be cut and then shipped. Not sure but that may be the case.

What I know about Mountain Models is - they are top notch folks. So what I would say is patience is a virtue - give em a moment and I suspect you will have your stuff pretty quickly.

Mike
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 AM   #4
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

It took mountain models some time to ship out. Also, they are a business out of a home. I sent an email and they got back to me a week later, apologizing and explaining that everyone is sick. This is a month ago, probably more, but people do work and have a life, get sick. It's not horizon hobbies with tons of workers.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
time bandit

I guess I'm coming across like a jerk and I didn't mean to. The way I see it is this, if you're going to operate a business, whether its home based or not or even part time you should stay on top of customer inquires. They've had four days since I placed my order to reply to me. I have read good things about MM that's why I'm at a loss understanding why I haven't heard from them. Patience is not one of my virtues and I admit that. I'm just anxious to get my kit and start building.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
buzzltyr

time bandit, I know Brian (the owner of MM) quite well. In addition to running MM, Brian has a wife and two kids, and is also attending college full time. I know Brian has not been feeling well. Occasionally he runs out of wood and has to wait for a shipment to complete a run of kits.
These are all reasons why it might take some time for him to get your kit mailed out. But they are not excuses, either. I would ask that you try another email, and/or telephone call, and be patient. Brian is as honest as you can get, and I know he will get your kit out to you as quickly as he can.
Mark
Old 03-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Which kit are you getting time bandit?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by time bandit View Post
I guess I'm coming across like a jerk and I didn't mean to.
Jerk, no but overly anxious perhaps.

The way I see it is this, if you're going to operate a business, whether its home based or not or even part time you should stay on top of customer inquires.
I 100% agree. I think a 24 hour turn around is acceptable during work days and over the weekend is fine for Friday requests. I would NEVER wait a week before replying to a customer.

If you take a week to reply - you should post that in an auto-email return. "Thanks for your note - we normally reply in a week" kind of message.

Frankly it is the cottage kit industry folks that normally reply more quickly in my experience. So I get the beef with that - it really is too long IMHO.

I have read good things about MM that's why I'm at a loss understanding why I haven't heard from them. Patience is not one of my virtues and I admit that. I'm just anxious to get my kit and start building.
Yep they are good at kitting. Perhaps not so much at communicating. It is a labor of love - trust me he is not getting rich off kits.

Mike
Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Lol never mind, saw other thread. Don't worry though the kit will come. For me kits take 2 weeks to get to me, going through customs...must think its a balsa bomb...all that lightweight shrapnel.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
buzzltyr

time bandit, I just received an email from Brian, and he told me that he has responded to your email to him. Hopefully that will put your concerns to rest. I know that he will get your kit out to you at the earliest possible opportunity.

Mark
Old 03-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
time bandit

I received an email from him telling me he had ran out of parts and was in the process of making up more kits. He said mine would go out today. I now understand fully that he operates this business from home and has other obligations that take up his time. Perhaps it should be noted on his site that same day shipping is not always possible. I expected a response like the ones you get from the big box companies. All is well and I still have my eye on more of his kits. Apologies to the board and moderator
Old 03-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Lol, your concern is understandable. I didn't even know it was a home company until Brian got back to me a week later explaining everyone was sick. I asked about the retracts for the P51 and completely forgot about the email. A week later he was apologizing for how long it took to reply. Other times, he was quite quick about responding to my questions, although I did not have many questions. For the Manzano Laser P47, due to it being only plans, I did have a lot of questions. I doubt you will have much questions for your build, as it should be quite straightforward. I am not completely happy with the design of the P51, feeling it is too weak, and somewhat forced to use the hard to find GWS retracts, but the plans and directions are very well done. This could be different for your plane, but I doubt it will be, and you should find the build to go very smoothly with few moments of head scratching.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I expected a response like the ones you get from the big box companies. All is well and I still have my eye on more of his kits. Apologies to the board and moderator
No need to apologize - I don't think you should have to wait days for an email reply from a vendor about an order. I am 100% on your side!

I especially feel if the item shows as "in stock" vendors should be honest and say, actually I don't have parts for that - it needs to be out of stock or back-order.

So no need to apologize. I'm with ya...

Mike
Old 03-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
time bandit

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
Which kit are you getting time bandit?
The EVA sport. It's been awhile since I've flown but I think that plane will work for me. 41" wingspan with a flat bottom and good lifting airfoil.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #15
swimmer

Friends: (2)

I love my EVA Sport. You will too.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #16
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It should be a good plane to start flying with. Decent size too, so you shouldn't be losing sight of it too easily.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #17
time bandit

Some package has arrived for me at the post office. Hmmmm, what could it be??

What was I thinking?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
Dan Whitepath

Club: I was a member of the Selma Sky Raiders quite a few years ago.

I just placed an order for the DL-50 discus launch glider am in the same situation as Time Bandit. I received notice the very next day that my order was "processing". Since then, nothing else so I waited one day short of a full week and emailed to ask if my kit had been shipped. No reply, so I get a bit "antsy". I'm glad to have found this post. I'll try and be patient. Time Bandit, I'm an old Alabama boy myself. I'm in Florida now, retired. Born and raised in Ensley, AL.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #19
time bandit

Originally Posted by Dan Whitepath View Post
I just placed an order for the DL-50 discus launch glider am in the same situation as Time Bandit. I received notice the very next day that my order was "processing". Since then, nothing else so I waited one day short of a full week and emailed to ask if my kit had been shipped. No reply, so I get a bit "antsy". I'm glad to have found this post. I'll try and be patient. Time Bandit, I'm an old Alabama boy myself. I'm in Florida now, retired. Born and raised in Ensley, AL.
Brian operates out of his home and doesn't have lots of people helping him as in a regular hobby shop or big box store. I was frustrated myself at first when I didn't hear back from him quickly. He will get your kit out and answer your emails and voice mails but it won't be quick. He's got a lot of other things going on that take up a lot of his time. I had to be patient and that's not something I'm very good at. By the way you're going to love the kit when you get it. I'm taking it real slow with mine and it goes together very nicely. I'm sure yours will also. Dan I'm an old Midfield boy born and raised. I used to go watch R/C planes fly with my dad over at the old Roberts Field years ago.

What was I thinking?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #20
Dan Whitepath

Thumbs up Thanks TimeBandit

Hi TimeBandit. Thanks so much for your reply on the thread about Mountain Models. I too have trouble being patient, especially when someone has my money. I'll relax now and wait till my kit comes in. I'm really not in a rush so much as it's just tough not knowing what the deal is. I ordered some lights online a while back and finally had to get Paypal to intervene and get my money back. Got me a bit gun-shy I guess. Midfield! Oh yeah. Know it well. I learned the gunsmithing trade from a fellow named Richard Birchfield who lived in Midfield and had his gunshop in Fairfield. And Robert's Field. I flew control line there in the mid 50s or so till I guess the early 60s or whenever it was that the Interstate went through the field. My dad had a garage hobbyshop in our front yard in Ensley and we had a club called the Dixie Modelers. We may have met at some time before! I've been looking online for years for anyone that remembers model flying at Robert's field. Nice to meet you here. Would love to chat more about your memories of Robert's field if you have time. I'd be happy if you would email me at wefly04@yahoo.com. Just got a call from BubSteve Cooper. Guess I'll head out to HayField International and commit some Aviation!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #21
time bandit

Hey Dan did your plane come in yet?? Did you hear back from Brian?

What was I thinking?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #22
Dan Whitepath

Default DL-50 on the way

Hey timebandit. I did indeed get a note from Brian. He sold out his DL-50 kits at Toledo Weak Signals I believe it was. He apologized for the delay, he just got behind. He shipped my kit out the next morning and even upgraded my shipping. Very nice. I should get it this coming Tuesday. I'm a happy customer.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions