Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 
Friends: (0)
Default The AMA Needs Your Help! Please Take Their Survey

I have been asked to post a link to AMA's newest survey here on Wattflyer. The AMA has developed a new survey to help get feedback from model aviation enthusiasts all across the USA.

They are looking for non-AMA members and former members to take the survey but anyone is welcomed to take it. I have had a look at it prior to hitting the "streets" and I think they did a great job on this latest survey.

Here is the link: https://www.research.net/s/76Y3BM3

Please take a few moments of your time to take the survey and help make a great organization even better to suit your needs as a parkflyer.

Thanks,

Frank

PS If you have any questions feel free the ask.

Let's Help Newcomers! << Click Here

Old 06-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

I did the survey, even though I'm an Open Member currently.

And Frank, you forgot to mention the sweepstakes giveaway!

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!

Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Done! You should mention the sweepstakes for the plane!

Edit: Aww, crxmanpat hit the post button first!

Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Thanks for that...

Good to share my (bad) opinons on Park Flyer.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10

Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

filled out the survey,for the years I've been involved in the AMA i still don't see the park program as being overly published nor are the rules really clear for flying in a park.

i guess thats why I'm glad i fly at a club where people can't walk thru our flying area and possibly get hit.

my biggest issue is just that,here in Nj area it's way to populated to fly in school or town ball fields. i wish i had a place nearer home to fly at in the evening after work.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!

Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Yea, I totally forgot about the sweepstakes. I heard they were going to give away a DX7s Is that true? I could use a buddy box radio.

Frank

PS Thanks for taking the survey and by all means let them know how you feel about anything membership related. Now is your chance to give the EC straight talk on how you feel.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I dunno about the tx, but it looked like a Visionaire, or whatever it's called. I didn't even look close at the tx... Hey, it's a chance at free stuff!

Yeah, I wonder if AMA's biggest problem is how to get enough exposure to attract the guys before they get their 100mph EDF. Well, the other problem is some of the club horror stories I've been hearing. I have to think some are made up by AMA-bashers, though, but how to be sure?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Done
Voiced my opinion on the subject and everyone knows I will win the visionaire LOL

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

A VisionAire also as a prize? That's cool. I am actually looking into getting one of them. I better take the survey before it is too late and I miss out.

Frank

Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

I have not done the survey yet but i will .I spent some time in both the AMA forums and RCU AMA forums and what i seen was alot of the AMA members with nothing else better to do getting mad at the parkflyers program for letting them in with a smaller dues fee. Kid epoxy and plenty others do not like the program at all. I have been a AMA member since i was a kid and it does not bother me to have a park flyer program or that they pay less dues ,but what does bother me is the way it was run by the AMA itself . BTW kidepoxy does not like anything anyways.lol joe

Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

After RK's post, I figured I should quantify my position on PF.

The problem we have most at our club with Park Flyers, is possibly slightly different, but I would believe other clubs have the same situation.

I personally have no problem with the park flyer program, its where it becomes a 'gateway' with no recourse that the problem surfaces. Too often, guys who get the Park Flyer AMA learn to fly, and instantly go buy larger airplanes. They then show up at the field, and fly fly fly without a care.

We have changed our club badges to reflect the PF restriction, and even then, we see PF Pilots coming to the flight line with 40 sized airplanes and larger.

They complain about the cost of full AMA, yet don't hesitate to drop $500 on a new airplane after they learned to fly their cheapie foamy. It sucks to have to be the enforcer, and constantly remind full grown adults that they are not following the intent of the program, our rules, and most of all our agreement with the city to abide by those rules and maintain proper coverage. These guys are actually putting our field at risk.

More babysitting on our part. We are actually considering not allowing Park Pilot's club membership..... doesn't THAT SUCK?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Dereck
Super Contributor

Must confess to have not closely followed the PF / AMA thing over the last couple of years, due to somewhat more important diversions in life.

Am firstly wondering what kind of park would accomodate a 2.5lb model! 'Big' is the first thing that springs to mind - that isn't much over the weight of many models I've designed and built and they wouldn't have fitted well into any parks that spring to mind.

Safety with the general public sharing any park has to be the highest priority. There's plenty to read about folk who've bought into our hobby but have no - inclination, will, interest, sense of entitlement or whatever - to consider flight safety to any worthwhile degree. I've done a little 'park flying' on the quiet and seldom felt comfortable with the safety aspect. Pick a suitable area, figure a take-off point and flight pattern, check for clear area and halfway through the flight, a ball game erupts around you while your model's in the air. I have a little RC time behind me, the thought of this situation occuring with a 'pilot' who has little idea of RC flying and you've got a good recipe for unpleasant circumstances.

Oh well, the world moves on. I think I'll stick with regular flying clubs...

D

Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
After RK's post, I figured I should quantify my position on PF.

The problem we have most at our club with Park Flyers, is possibly slightly different, but I would believe other clubs have the same situation.

I personally have no problem with the park flyer program, its where it becomes a 'gateway' with no recourse that the problem surfaces. Too often, guys who get the Park Flyer AMA learn to fly, and instantly go buy larger airplanes. They then show up at the field, and fly fly fly without a care.

We have changed our club badges to reflect the PF restriction, and even then, we see PF Pilots coming to the flight line with 40 sized airplanes and larger.

They complain about the cost of full AMA, yet don't hesitate to drop $500 on a new airplane after they learned to fly their cheapie foamy. It sucks to have to be the enforcer, and constantly remind full grown adults that they are not following the intent of the program, our rules, and most of all our agreement with the city to abide by those rules and maintain proper coverage. These guys are actually putting our field at risk.

More babysitting on our part. We are actually considering not allowing Park Pilot's club membership..... doesn't THAT SUCK?
I agree with Nitro but at the root of the parkflyer program problem there is the AMA .I competed in AMA pattern and pylon and we had rules then . Its the flying of bigger planes at club fields with a parkflyers card that should be ruled out by the AMA. There are more issues that the AMA is not doing when it comes to the parkflyers program but we cant change things here or at the AMA in Muncie. BTW dont get started on these flying things with cameras on them in full size aircraft space ,yes the AMA took them in to and we will have more trouble to come in the future.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
... what kind of park would accomodate a 2.5lb model! ...
My thoughts exactly, and I told 'em so in the survey. Encouraging beginners to fly in parks is not a good idea, in my humble opinion. Somebody having their first flight experience with their new 2 lb, 60 mph toy is going to take out a baby in a stroller one of these days...

Dave
AMA #56519

Old 06-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

my slow stick bipe flys 30 mph with weighing in near 44oz with some modifications and a 4000mah battery. I take off and land on sidewalk.

I see the ama as an antiqeidated thing of the past. none wants to pay $200 to fly a $200 airplane to get told their breaking rules.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #16
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I see the ama as an antiqeidated thing of the past. none wants to pay $200 to fly a $200 airplane to get told their breaking rules.

Who pays $200 to the AMA?

And whats a antiqeidated?

Lets not get all 'anti AMA' on a post about a survey..... Wanna go ballistic? Complete the survey!

Old 06-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Dang. I wasn't aware of the PF problems going on. I guess I just assumed if you have a PF membership, that would be all you flew, even if you visited a regular club. But once again, there's always people who want to get away with something.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
Azarr
Electric Junkie

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Dang. I wasn't aware if the PF problems going on. I guess I just assumed if you have a PF membership, that would be all you flew, even if you visited a regular club. But once again, there's always people who want to get away with something.
Yes, that's the problem, and although it's often blamed on the younger set, it's actually adults that should know better. If you're under 19, full AMA membership is free, why would anyone under under 19 want to be a park pilot? They can still fly in a park, with <2lbs <60mph with the benefit of full insurance and the other benefits that are included.

Our club has welcomed park pilots, but we also now have to be the field police for members that ignore their limitations. Those that we "catch" are reminded what they are allowed to fly and that their club membership is a priviledge that can be revoked. Our field is available to members 24/7 so if the "police" aren't there .........

I filled out the survey and although I understand the point of the Park Pilot program I've never really been a fan. I suggested that rather than raise the weight limit, it should be lowered.

Azarr

Old 06-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
bigstick60

i agree with nitroblast till you join ama and a club you are close to that figure and then ( which i have seen) some one telling you are not doing something correctly. the part of the country i fly in i need neither

Old 06-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Been an on-again/off-again active member of AMA for a little over 6 years....got that survey sent to me from AMA last week. Yes, completed and submitted.

The main reason I joined AMA was not just due to needing it to join sanctioned clubs. Although, I'm glad I did........I got serious in this hobby as a heli enthusiasts. Really did not need to join a club to fly heli's since I live in a rural/urban environment that has plenty of open public and private space....Chellie and a few others on this forum know the area well.

The three reasons I initially joined were:

1) Being into heli's, it was very difficult to find guys with decent build knowledge and flying skills (that were willing to openly give-up their prized "tricks to the trade") at the local parks where they seemed to congregate on the weekends. The vast majority of them were not AMA, just rouge hobbyists learning like me.

2) After I met a legit heli guy (nitro) at work (who I hired without knowledge of his RC skills, we are all civil engineers....lol), his influence and passion for "organized play" hit home with me.

3) Although I enjoy the freedom of being able to pack up a craft and take an early morning flight at dozens of locations near-by (even my front yard and open space across the street) away from the restrictions of staging lines, flight lines, air space negotiation, up-a-tee personalities, nosey field marshals...lol...ect...... I have been able to learn a ton more (with value) about this hobby, mingling about and getting to know guys at the clubs, which has been worth every penny I've spent on AMA dues and club fees, than I would have otherwise just hanging about at the parks with guys who just enjoy the fun of flying something.
That's not to say that there are not some very knowledgable guys free lancing, like myself, at the parks who are fun to be around. But that vast majority, where I'm at, are just fooling around.

Another thing I have found out here, you seldom, if ever, see the guys who fly the "over 2lb" craft at the parks.......I believe that is mostly due to the fact that here, we have 7 legit clubs within a 35 mile radius of one another and most of the more serious guys prefer being with their buddies in that environment....so my experience is limited being around the "serious" parkflyer types.

Edit:

As far as the 2lb over/under........I have yet been to a club, week-day or week-end, where the majority of the craft (planes) in the air, are anything larger than what would be considered a "park" sized bird.....the majority of the stuff I see out here is in the 36" to 46" wing span. Most electric but gaser/nitro still is very popular.......with the heli's, since they are still always regulated, at most fields, to the opposite end of the flight traffic, unless they've booked the field in advance, the mix of those are 50/50 nitro/electric, 450 and up sized.....fairly high end stuff.....(what decent heli that size isn't in the $600.00 + range).....lol.

AMA 928214

Old 06-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Filled out the survey. I don't have any illusions that they will listen to reason. But they will hear it even if they are mired in self-delusion.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

What..?...Robbins.....lol......Do I sense there is an undermining political agenda or "take away" control of our freedom issue here.....lol...or is it another attempt to dig deeper into our pockets.....lol

Whatever the agenda, it appears as an attempt to get "some" public opinion, as limited and preconceived as it may be........and as surveys like this go!...who knows, except those who had a reason to throw this out there, where it will land or how it will be "realistically applied......lol.....the contest (sweepstakes) is a bonus...I'm sure the TX was the real bone to fetch...lol

AMA 928214

Old 06-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

I'm not willing to get into it here. If the AMA is willing to listen and reevaluate then good on 'em and I'm not going to rain on their parade for that.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #24
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

SEFF and most other Great Fly-in's require AMA for insurance, I join the Mothers march on runny nose's if thats what it would take to go to SEFF every year, bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	149217_1652418584119_7679772_n.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	169287  

Monkey Minion'air

Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #25
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Done
Voiced my opinion on the subject and everyone knows I will win the visionaire LOL
C'mon Fish,

You know I'm the contest winner !

Closed Thread

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions