Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
nz builder

Friends: (2)
Default Power setup for 30' Hellcat

Im after advice regarding a power setup for a scratch built Hellcat F6F. Im looking at a plane that will be a "floater" as opposed to a 3d flyer. The wingspan is 30' and the the airframe covered weighs only 70 grams. I expect the weight with everything in will be in the 120 gram range. Can any body suggest an affordable motor ESC combo from Hobbyking that will work? Here is a motor I liked the look of http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14739 and the ESC http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6548.

Any suggestions and advice will be welcome.

Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,251 Times in 2,152 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (327)

Originally Posted by nz builder View Post
Im after advice regarding a power setup for a scratch built Hellcat F6F. Im looking at a plane that will be a "floater" as opposed to a 3d flyer. The wingspan is 30' and the the airframe covered weighs only 70 grams. I expect the weight with everything in will be in the 120 gram range. Can any body suggest an affordable motor ESC combo from Hobbyking that will work? Here is a motor I liked the look of http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14739 and the ESC http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6548

Any suggestions and advice will be welcome.

Thanks!!
Hi The motor you linked to looks nice, but it only has a 2.3mm shaft, thats kind of weak, and I would stay away from HK ESC, IMHO they are not all that good, use turnigy plush or sentry ESC, they are pretty much Bullet proof IMHO. Its all that I use and never had any problems with them.

here is a nice micro motor that will work well with a 7x6 or smaller prop. This motor is used on a lot of planes, even multiple engine planes, its very powerful for its size, buy a few of these $6.00 motors, you will be glad you did, I use them all the time, I push these motors at 20+ amps all the time and they love it, use at least a 1300 mah lipo 30C rated,

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...cro_Motor.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ontroller.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Lipo_Pack.html

7x6 apc prop, you will have to drill out the center hole to fit the prop adapter, balance the props and sand down the sharp edges on the prop, they are like a knife.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...rch=7x6%20prop

3mm prop adapter, cut the motor shaft down enough so the prop adapter sits flush with the motor bell when its sliped onto the motor shaft. Because the longer the motor shaft is, the easier it will bend in a hard landing/ crash. I would not use a prop saver with this motor, its a little to powerful for a prop saver to be used on it. it will put out up to 200+ Watts,

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Type_3MM.html

prop balancer

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Balancer.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

My Friend Kosh is using this 1800 Kv micro motor in this plane, with a 7x6 apc prop and a 3 cell lipo, you can use it mild or wild, it all depends on how much throttle you want to give it

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Please post a pic of your plane

Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
nz builder

Thanks for the info Chellie, i will post some pics soon.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

If your weight is correct I think that motor is WAY to heavy. I think you need to be looking for a 10g motor or so - maybe this:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...nner_10g_.html

Your ESC too is much too large for 120g all up weight plane! That is SUPER light. I think you need a 5-6amp and again super light. Your power system (motor/esc/battery) should account for about ~35-45% of your all up weight. So that means your battery/ESC and motor should weight about 35-45g. With such a light plane shoot for the light end of that scale.

Mike
Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

Thirty foot wingspan??
Old 08-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Henry Sistrunk View Post
Thirty foot wingspan??
I am pretty sure he meant " not '.

But if he can make a 30' wingspan 120g Hellcat I want to see what he uses. (likely helium infused foam and balsa LOL)

Mike
Old 08-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
nz builder

If it was that big Id be hoping in it! Na, its inches.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
nz builder

LOL its 75 ounces! not grams. Yeah I would have had to infuse the balsa with helium to get the earlier results.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

So you are building a 75oz 30" wingspan Hellcat? Now you have REAL issues, that is about 5x what it should weigh.

Can you start over again? How big is the plane, how much is the planned weight. Something is simply not adding up here.

Confused....

Don't convert - if you are used to MM and grams just list that - we are smart enough to convert even though our silly nation isn't. It cracks me up that all through school we are metric, most work is metric, but in real US life we switch back to "old school". Baffling really, but I digress.

Mike
Old 08-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
nz builder

I looked at my scales at home and found a setting that converts the reading to grams and got 214 grams (with 3 servos included). This sounds a little more realistic. I know this is correct as I compared this measurement with other objects that had a stated weight on them (jars of peanut butter etc). Any power set up suggestions based on this weight? Sorry for the confusion, Im normally more onto it!!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

So you have a 30 INCH wingspan and a weight of 214g correct?

If that is the case you have a light airplane and you should be able to get away with a 3s 1000 mAh battery and a 40-50g 100 watt motor.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I looked at my scales at home and found a setting that converts the reading to grams and got 214 grams (with 3 servos included). This sounds a little more realistic. I know this is correct as I compared this measurement with other objects that had a stated weight on them (jars of peanut butter etc). Any power set up suggestions based on this weight? Sorry for the confusion, Im normally more onto it!!
I Knew That you had a average weight plane for a 30" W/S and The power system in post #2 Still applies, even if you plane was a lite weight profile foam plane with a 30" W/S or a balsa build up with a 30" W/S the Power system in post 2 would still Apply, Its a All Around Power System that will give you great Performance, Take Care and Have Fun, Chellie

Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #15
nz builder

Thanks for the great advice people. I will probably look at the setup that Chellie suggested.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #16
nz builder

I checked the weight of the gear that Chellie suggested and while I agree that it would produce a fast plane I really want lighter gear installed if possible.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I checked the weight of the gear that Chellie suggested and while I agree that it would produce a fast plane I really want lighter gear installed if possible.
here is a motor at 25 grams that can be used on a 2 cell lipo, I dont think you will be able to fly this power system in your plane outside with any wind blowing. better for indoors use IMHO, but its lite

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ner_Motor.html

and a 10 amp esc

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ontroller.html

and a 500 mah, 2 cell, 20C lipo
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Lipo_Pack.html

Old 10-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

the motor you first linked to will work, but use a turnigy esc and not the HK esc, from what i have read, the HK esc dont last very long, just my 2 cents worth.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
nz builder

Hey Chellie thanks for your help again. I like your latest power set-up for my Hellcat, it seems to fit in with my light weight concept. I designed my plane to the same kind of specs as the Molt Models Hellcat, they had an IPS geared motor set-up originally.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #20
nz builder

I purchased the the second power setup that Chellie suggested. Just have to wait now until it arrives in New Zealand. I will post pics soon.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #21
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I purchased the the second power setup that Chellie suggested. Just have to wait now until it arrives in New Zealand. I will post pics soon.
cool, please post a picture of your plane, it sounds like to me that its a balsa and tissue build being so light.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #22
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #23
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

4kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW 
Friends: (21)

For those readers that would like an inexpensive scale that can measure weights in this area, check out Harbor Freights stuff:
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ale-93543.html

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #24
nz builder

Default scales

Good call Kyle
Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
nz builder

I was wondering about prop size for the motor Chellie suggested (second setup) I want to get at least 200gms of thrust in order to get this plane airborne.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems