Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
camps23

Friends: (0)
Default Best micro parkflyer

Hi Guys,
I have had super cub lp, and reg super cub. I have since got a micro litehawk zoom 2. Im looking for something around the size of the zoom. The plane flys amazing but just doesnt have enough power. Im looking for something that can do some basic aerial maneuvers and if possible lands in short grass.
Suggestions ???

RC ROOKIE
Old 06-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
lazermule

Look at the Sport Cub S
Old 06-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
camps23

Originally Posted by lazermule View Post
Look at the Sport Cub S
I was looking at the sport cub but wasnt sure how much power it had. Looking for something to do some aerial maneuvers as well
I viewed a few videos of this plane and it just looks way to slow

RC ROOKIE
Old 06-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
raming
Ramin G

Club: HCAM Austin
Default Best Micro Park Flyer

Here is a summary of my "small" Park Flyers:

PZ Night Vapor: 0.6oz weight, 70mAh 1S Battery, No Aileron
Pro's: My night flyer. Can fly in a cul de sac. Very Slow. 8-10min flights. Low cost (plane and batteries)
Con's: Fly in less than 2mph breeze!. Somewhat fragile. HandLaunch in Grass.

PZ UltraMicro P51 (non AS3X/SAFE): 1.22oz, 150mAh 1S Battery
Pro's: Very agile and acrobatic. Low cost (plane and batteries)
Con's: Very sensitive to breezes. hard to keep in control.

PZ UltraMicro T28 (non AS3X/SAFE): 1.34oz, 150mAh 1S Battery
Pro's: Well behaved in light winds. Can fly in small grass field; good slow flyer. Low cost (plane and batteries)
Con's: Fly in less than 5mph winds. Handlaunch in Grass.

HZ Sport Cub S (AS3X/SAFE): 2.0oz, 150mAh 1S Battery
Pro's: Extremely stable in SAFE modes yet very exciting in Advanced Mode. Slow flights are excellent for training in small Parks. Good takeoff and landings in short grass. Low cost (plane and batteries)
Con's: Fly in less than 4-5mph winds.

HK Clouds Flyer (Floater Jet) Powered Glider: 21oz, 1800mAh 3S Battery
Pro's: Extremely Fast (75mph) and acrobatic yet very docile at low throttle. Can launch from belly on short grass (no landing gear). Very good flyer in strong winds and has predictable stalls at low speed. Can get easily over 10minute flights. Good price from Hobby King (~$80 for BNF kit w/o Battery, Receiver, Xmtr). Extremely durable. This is my "High Wind, Park and Beach flyer".
Con's: Tend's to nose down on hand launch due to high mounted Pusher Prop. Noisy at high throttle.

PZ T28: 30oz, 2200mAh 3S Battery
Pro's: An extremely good park flyer for 2nd plane. Good to about 10mph winds. Well behaved stalls. Good for learning acrobatics. Not too fast (~50mph). Durable. Very good tricycle gear for short grass takeoffs and landings.
Con's: Nose Gear Strut and/or Firewall tends to break on hard landings. Higher Cost.

EFlite Apprentice 15e S (AS3X/SAFE): 49oz, 3200mAh 3S Battery
Pro's: A better plane than the super-light Sport Cub S for training, especially in moderate winds (5-15mph). Very stable in SAFE modes. Very nimble and acrobatic in Advanced Mode. Very Good for Takeoff and landings in grass. Appears durable (only had a few flights). Battery easily good for 12 minutes under Training conditions.
Con's: Needs a larger grass field for landings than the Micro Park Flyers listed. Higher cost.

Trust, but Verify!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
camps23

THanks raming...great reviews
Im looking at the PZ UM T28 and the eflight beast at the moment.
Will the UM T28 pull acrobatics ? Good speeds ?

RC ROOKIE
Old 06-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
raming
Ramin G

Default Pz um t28

Originally Posted by camps23 View Post
THanks raming...great reviews
Im looking at the PZ UM T28 and the eflight beast at the moment.
Will the UM T28 pull acrobatics ? Good speeds ?
The PZ UM T28 is my favorite UM plane for speed and acrobatics; especially in a small flying area. But without the SAFE/AS3X system it is difficult to fly with winds greater than about 5mph.

For better speed, stability in winds and acrobatics, I believe that for a bit more cost, your best bet would be the AS3X version of the PZ UM P51 Mustang (mine is the older version without the AS3X and the reviews show that the AS3X receiver makes it much less squirrely).

Trust, but Verify!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
camps23

raming...
Are you referring to this plane ?

http://hobbyhobby.com/store/product/...RTF-with-AS3X/

RC ROOKIE
Old 06-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
camps23

Also out of the T28 and the Mustang..can any land in short grass

RC ROOKIE
Old 06-27-2015, 01:28 AM   #9
raming
Ramin G

raming...
Are you referring to this plane ?

http://hobbyhobby.com/store/product/...RTF-with-AS3X/
Yes this is the plane, complete with transmitter. This version is on sale at Horizon Hobby. If you don't need a Transmitter there is a BNF version as well for less cost.

Also, both the UM T28 and P51 does not do well on grass. You can easily unclip the wheels for hand launch and belly landings. Surprisingly, the slightly bigger SportCub S does land and takeoff on short grass AND in advanced mode can do acrobatics but is also, in my opinion, one of the best trainers for kids in the two SAFE modes (kids cannot crash the plane due to over control).

Hope this helps!

Trust, but Verify!
Old 06-27-2015, 01:42 AM   #10
raming
Ramin G

Default 10year old's 2nd flight of Sport Cub S

Here is the youtube link for a quick video of my 10year old's 2nd flight with the Sport Cub S in Beginner (SAFE) mode. Note the ease in short grass landing and takeoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLd1O9OESrw

Trust, but Verify!
Old 06-27-2015, 01:50 AM   #11
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Also out of the T28 and the Mustang..can any land in short grass
It may not be beautiful but they should suffer no damage. Stall land them, burning off all airspeed just barely above the ground. They really don't have the weight to break themselves.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 06-27-2015, 01:55 AM   #12
camps23

Originally Posted by raming View Post
Yes this is the plane, complete with transmitter. This version is on sale at Horizon Hobby. If you don't need a Transmitter there is a BNF version as well for less cost.

Also, both the UM T28 and P51 does not do well on grass. You can easily unclip the wheels for hand launch and belly landings. Surprisingly, the slightly bigger SportCub S does land and takeoff on short grass AND in advanced mode can do acrobatics but is also, in my opinion, one of the best trainers for kids in the two SAFE modes (kids cannot crash the plane due to over control).

Hope this helps!

The sport cub s has enough power for some aerial maneuvers? I have flown trainers in the past and feel I could step up but if the sport cub can perform stunts and is reliable to land and take off on grass I may be swayed to keep it simple. Is the p51 light years ahead of the sport cub in performance/speed ?

RC ROOKIE
Old 06-27-2015, 01:57 AM   #13
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Someone at the club had one of these the other day. I flew it a couple of times. Hand launch and stall landing in the grass. They have no stabilization or gyro but actually fly pretty darned well. Very capable aerobat.

http://www.amazon.com/Wltoys-F929-Re.../dp/B00J9BKZ2E

EDIT: This is just a link I clicked. Be sure it is a MODE 2 transmitter if you want throttle on the left.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 06-27-2015, 02:07 AM   #14
raming
Ramin G

The sport cub s has enough power for some aerial maneuvers? I have flown trainers in the past and feel I could step up but if the sport cub can perform stunts and is reliable to land and take off on grass I may be swayed to keep it simple. Is the p51 light years ahead of the sport cub in performance/speed ?
I have not flown the 3 planes head to head but would rank them for Aerobatics and Speed as:

UM P51 with AS3X: Fastest, most nimble, very acrobatic. Good in light wind due to AS3X.
UM T28 w/o AS3X: A bit slower, good acrobatics, more forgiving. Light winds only!
UM Sport Cub S: Can fly very slow. Take off and landing is almost automatic. Has enough speed to do Rolls, Loops and inverted flight. Can handle winds best of the three.

But take this with a grain of salt, as it has not been Verified!

Trust, but Verify!
Old 06-27-2015, 02:32 AM   #15
camps23

I have not flown the 3 planes head to head but would rank them for Aerobatics and Speed as:

UM P51 with AS3X: Fastest, most nimble, very acrobatic. Good in light wind due to AS3X.
UM T28 w/o AS3X: A bit slower, good acrobatics, more forgiving. Light winds only!
UM Sport Cub S: Can fly very slow. Take off and landing is almost automatic. Has enough speed to do Rolls, Loops and inverted flight. Can handle winds best of the three.

But take this with a grain of salt, as it has not been Verified!
When you say the super cub can fly slow...is that by choice or the plane itself doesn't have alot of power ? Im really looking for everything the super cub s has but want to make sure it's not a super slow flyer

RC ROOKIE
Old 06-27-2015, 03:10 AM   #16
raming
Ramin G

Default Slow Flying

Sorry for not being clear.

The Sport Cub S can fly at very low throttle and has a low stall speed. At full throttle it can provide enough power to do Acrobatics. Will it be as fast and nimble as the P51, no!

Trust, but Verify!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
camps23

Well...I picked up the sport cub s today. Almost pulled the trigger on the P51 but like the 3 flight modes, floats and stable slow flight of the Sport Cub S

RC ROOKIE
Old 06-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #18
fishycomics

then the beginners trainer model will not be a warbird one right

out flying here learning.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:35 AM   #19
raming
Ramin G

Default Sport Cub S Update

Well...I picked up the sport cub s today. Almost pulled the trigger on the P51 but like the 3 flight modes, floats and stable slow flight of the Sport Cub S
My 10yr old and I had a blast flying in the park today with the Sport Cub S with 0-2mph winds. In the Beginner mode he happily flew the plane, avoided trees, landed, etc. In this mode the plane only needs throttle management (2/3rd's or more to climb, 1/2 to fly level, and 1/4 or less to glide down. In this mode it is very unlikely to stall. We had to hand launch today because the grass was too high. A slight toss at full throttle and up she goes.

I then flew it in Advanced mode and was flying inverted, performing loops and rolls, etc. She is not as nimble as the P51 but is a lot of fun. One big benefit for this ultra micro is with the AS3X she flys like a bigger plane in light winds (<5mph). Also, I enjoyed pressing the Panic Button when inverted or diving and seeing the plane smartly right itself.

Have fun!

Trust, but Verify!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:04 AM   #20
camps23

Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
then the beginners trainer model will not be a warbird one right
Ya I liked the fact that in advanced mode it can still do all basic sport maneuvers. Next plane will be the P51

My 10yr old and I had a blast flying in the park today with the Sport Cub S with 0-2mph winds. In the Beginner mode he happily flew the plane, avoided trees, landed, etc. In this mode the plane only needs throttle management (2/3rd's or more to climb, 1/2 to fly level, and 1/4 or less to glide down. In this mode it is very unlikely to stall. We had to hand launch today because the grass was too high. A slight toss at full throttle and up she goes.

I then flew it in Advanced mode and was flying inverted, performing loops and rolls, etc. She is not as nimble as the P51 but is a lot of fun. One big benefit for this ultra micro is with the AS3X she flys like a bigger plane in light winds (<5mph). Also, I enjoyed pressing the Panic Button when inverted or diving and seeing the plane smartly right itself.

Have fun!
I decided on this plane after some of your advice as well as the hobby shop. Cant beat the fact that I can pass the remote to my 6yr old and she can keep the plane in a circle in beginner mode. Flick it to advance and it can perform most basic sport maneuvers. Also love its slow glide speed, excellent for flying around obstacles

RC ROOKIE
Old 06-29-2015, 12:56 AM   #21
fishycomics

we're happy, you're happy, keep a tab on the flights you get. enjoy her?

out flying here learning.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers