Bridi Killer Chaos Electric Conversion
I spent the last 2 weeks converting my trusty old Killer Chaos to electric. For those not familiar with this version of the Chaos line, it has a 62" wingspan, 57" length and 700 sq. in. wing area.
I built this kit (the BlueJay version) about 10 years ago. It had a Super Tigre G.90 with a long tuned muffler, Perry carburetor and Perry fuel pump. 7.5 lbs. empty; 8.25 lbs. fueled. It boogied along pretty good. :-)
For the conversion (my first), I installed a Rimfire .80 brushless motor, Castle Talon 90 ESC, Align 5200 mAh 22.2v 6S 65C LiPo battery, an Arm-Safe port and a 3-blade 12 x 8 propeller. The net weight savings with this combo is 9 oz.
I put the first flights on it this morning and I am ecstatic with the results. The flight performance is every bit as good as the nitro engine, but without the mess and vibrations. And the battery measured 71% capacity remaining after 5 minute flights. In other words, the battery is way too big.
I ordered two 3300 mAh 22.2v 65C batteries which will save another 7 ounces a still give about 6 or 7 minutes of flight.
As to temperatures, the motor, ESC and battery run lukewarm, even during aggressive, high power settings aerobatics.