Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool e-Glider Soaring Contest - Marlton NJ May 24, 25 2014

CONTEST HAS BEEN MOVED TO MARLTON nj - See later posts for details

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

The link is to a video of an ALES contest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtcgsEOsReQ

Group Launch - Tone sounds and you have 10 seconds to launch. Time starts when the plane leaves the pilot's hand.

Flight time is kept by a timer standing with the pilot.

A device in the glider cuts the motor at 200 meters or 30 seconds, whichever comes first
The task is to look for thermals to keep the glider in the air for 10 minutes, unpowered. If you restart the motor you get a zero for the flight.

Try to land at exactly 10 minutes for maximum score. Seconds over or under cost you score.

The yellow tape on the ground defines a circle 20 meters across. Your landing points are based on how close you land to the center of the circle. 50points at the center 1M radius. 9 meters out is 5 points.

This particular contest was flown "unlimited" which means electric gliders of all types are flown together and compete directly.

Each flight group is scored as a group with to time in the group getting 1000 points and everyone else getting a % of that. Contest of this type typically have 4-10 pilots in a flight group depending on how large the field is and how many pilots there are.

There can be multiple flight groups in a round depending on how many pilots you have. When all flight groups have flown that is a round.

Minimum 3 rounds needed to be an official contest. Can be as many as the CD wants. Typical is 6 to 10 in a given day.

The most popular entry level ALES glider has been the ParkZone Radian. Stock out of the box it will hit about 170 meters in 30 seconds. Simple prop change and upgraded battery and it can hit 200 in about 27 seconds.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

As you can see in the video the range of gliders flown in ALES is quite wide including foamies, like the Radian, though built up wood to bagged wing to moldies. Wing spans are typically 2 meters to 4 meters.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Good luck with the contest Ed!

Wish I could make it but its a bit of a drive for me

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

CONTEST HAS BEEN MOVED TO MARLTON nj - See later posts for details

Reg Link - http://www.flyesl.org/

This is going to be a fun event.

This will be an Altitude Limited Electric Soaring, ALES, event for electric gliders flown by AMA rules for event 631. You can find the rules here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...14Electric.pdf The final scores will be posted to the ESL web site and will be reported to the ALES League.

All e-gliders require an ALES device set to cut the motor at 200 meters or 30 seconds, whichever comes first. In ESL tradition we will fly Expert and Sportsman class of pilots. We will fly one class of aircraft, unlimited, meaning you can fly whatever size aircraft you like with whatever controls you like.

Rounds will be 10 minutes unless modified by the CD. Scoring will be MOM, man on man. As per AMA rules we will be using 5M 50 point landing tapes with 5 points per 1/2 meter.

We are going to cap registration at 44 to make best use of the 11 launch/land circles we can accommodate. No round will start after 3:30 on Saturday and no round will start after 2:30 pm on Sunday.

AMA membership required. You must show your AMA card to sign in at the field. On field registrations will be accepted but space can not be guaranteed so best to register on-line. If you have problems registering please contact Ed Anderson: aeajr at optonline dot net.

We will also accept Novice pilots if there is room. Novice Pilots fly FREE! Registration priority will go to Expert and Sportsman pilots but we usually have room for novice pilots too.

If you have never flown a contest before, that's OK. We love new pilots. We will help you and coach you if you would like the help.
Awards:

Awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Expert and 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Sportsman.

In addition there will be recognition awards for top 2M or smaller gliders in Sportsman and Expert so don't hesitate to bring your Radian, e-Gentle Lady or the like. Two meter e-gliders are very popular in these events.

Participation Certificate for Novice Pilots who are registered on-line, prior to the contest day.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

FYI, registration has been open for almost 2 weeks and we have 14 pilots registered. People from New Hampshire to Maryland and maybe VA. Should be a great contest. I would project we will exceed 30 and may hit the 44 pilot limit.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

It was announced yesterday that the League of Silent Flight will be establishing a soaring accomplishments program for electric launched glider pilots, tentatively being called the eSAP.

If the tasks are based on or closely follow the model set by the SAP for pure gliders then there will be a contest component to the tasks as you move up the levels. Most likely ALES contests will qualify for that program.

So, keep an eye on the League of Silent Flight web site, www.silentflight.org for the details. And plan to come fly with the Eastern Soaring League as there are electric soaring contests being offered up and down the East coast. www.flyesl.org

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Now up to 15 pilots and we are still 3 months away. Looking good!

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

We currently have 16 pilots registered and we are over 2 months away.

I just made up the 5M landing tapes.

I currently have the contest capped at 44, but if we hit the limit I have enough tapes to take it to 4 rounds of 14 pilots or a total of 56.

Let's hope I have to consider extending the cap.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

HOW MANY PLANES ARE YOU ALLOWED AT THE CONTEST?

Something that came to my attention recently.

In May ESL will have 3 types of contests.
www.flyesl.org

Unlimited TD - AMA rules allow up to 2 planes and you can switch between them throughout the contest.

ALES - AMA rules allow up to 3 planes and you can switch between them AND you can swap parts between them.

Hand Launch/F3K - I am not a CD for this event but I am told the F3K rules allow for up to 5 planes per contest.

Interesting how it varies by format. Naturally the CD may impose local rules but this is what the rule books show.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #10
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

CONTEST IS BEING MOVED TO NJ - SEE THE LATER POST FOR INFO

========================
Friends,

I just learned that there is going to be an airshow over Jones Beach this year on Saturday and Sunday, the same days as our scheduled contest.

Many of the planes, including the Blue Angels and vintage planes, are staged out of Republic airport which is only 8 air miles away, In the past when they did this they were all around the field and sometimes flew directly over the field.

There may be a NOTAM restricting the air space, but we won’t know till three days before the contest. However, even if there isn’t, these planes fly close enough to our field that it would create a potential hazard for the show planes and a potential restriction on the contest pilots, which would be unfair.

If someone has been looking for a date for an ESL contest they can have ours.

And I just got my e-Supra in the air and my Radian all tuned up and ready for the contest.

And I made up 14 landing tapes too.

Maybe next year, but for now there does not seem to be a date that would work as a substitute. I am very disappointed.

With deepest regrets,
Ed Anderson
Contest Director

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #11
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

THE CONTEST HAS BEEN MOVED TO NJ AND THE TITLE OF THE THREAD HAS BEEN CHANGED TO REFLECT THIS.

Update 5-5-14 -It is confirmed, this contest will go on but it will be hosted in NJ.

Host club will be www.sjsf.org

John Jenks will be the CD -

Registration will be on the ESL Website - www.flyesl.org

Location will be the Evans Mill Pond Preserve - Marlton, NJ

Tomlinson Mill Rd & Kettle Run, Evesham, NJ 08053

The flying field is located at Tomlinson Mill Rd & Kettle Run, Evesham, NJ 08053. It is near the Marlton Parkway. The entrance to the field is at the sharp bend in the road. Be careful - this is easy to miss!
http://www.sjsf.org/maps.htm

Mapquest suggests using 225 Tomlinson Mill Rd, Marlton, NJ 08053 for your GPS
Should get you very close. Put it in Mapquest and go to Satellite view and you will see the field.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

We had our club ALES contest today. 13 pilots and just fantastic conditions. Got my e-Supra really tuned up and I am total jazzed for the ESL contest next weekend in Marlton NJ.

Here is the real, honest to good ness weather forecast for next weekend.

Fri May 23 Partly Cloudy 70
Chance of rain:10% Wind:NW at 9 mph
Sat May 24 Mostly Cloudy 72
Chance of rain:20% Wind:NW at 6 mph

Sun May 25 Mostly Cloudy 77
Chance of rain:0% Wind:WNW at 7 mph

So, ya gotta sign up and fly this contest. It is going to be great!

http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=190

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-22-2014, 04:17 AM   #13
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

14 pilots and counting. Come join us and let's get it over 20.

Weather looks good.

I will be there.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
carpetbagger

Friends: (1)

Gave my Son who lives in Marlton a heads up and he is there - sent me a pic of a all red sailplane, might even be a 3m. Covering looked like transparent plastic film
Old 05-25-2014, 01:51 AM   #15
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I flew the contest today. Was he one of the competitors?

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-25-2014, 03:02 AM   #16
carpetbagger

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I flew the contest today. Was he one of the competitors?
No, but in his young years in the `80s he was pit crew for me and my Father when we flew R/C. When I flew competition FF he was a toddler. This fall when we get up at the beach for the annual surf fishing trip I'll see if I can "hook" him into planes again.

Bill
Old 05-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #17
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

If the wind tends to blow directly into the beach and you have some high dunes, then try some slope soaring. That is a great way to get back into flying. And with today's e-gliders it is easier to recover from a training error then when the glider ended up in some bad place.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
carpetbagger

That is my plan = slope soaring. At the moment I'm prepping my house to sell and when/if it does I'm headed for OBX and a shack on the sand. I figure if Kitty Hawk Kites can launch hang gliders off Jockey's Ridge (whats left of it) I can toss a slope glider in the air - right? *whoop-whoop* sound of park police coming . . . oops
Old 05-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
carpetbagger

P.S. - have a Electro Panda and an electrified MG 049 almost ready to fly/splat, and on deck to suit my intended relocation to OBX, a Beach Bum (hip pocket plan) and a Wind Surfer Baby (outerzone plan). I used light marine ply leftover from my boat building days and made carrying cases for them.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #20
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Contest Report – ESL ALES Contest Saturday 5/24
Prepared by Ed Anderson

John Jenks opened the field on Friday for practice. The weather was perfect for doing last minute adjustments and getting used to the field. Every field has its unique character and the locals know where the typical thermal generators reside. Friday gave the out of towners a chance to take a look and get a feel for the field. There were about 6 pilots who took advantage of the opportunity to fly.

Saturday greeted the pilots with a very cloudy and overcast sky along with gusty winds. I did not measure them but I would guess we were running in the 7-14 mph range with a lot of swirling wind. We had some periods of relative calm followed by strong gusts. At times it was difficult to know how to land as the winds were swirling quite a bit during the flight and on approach. You could start your approach into the wind but land with a tail wind, so conditions were interesting.

Twelve pilots showed up on Saturday to test their soaring skills against other Eastern Soaring League pilots. John Jenks was CD and David Beach was handling the scoring.

We would fly 3 flight groups of 4 pilots each. To promote safety John recommended that pilots launch in sequence with a small relaxation of the usual 10 second launch window to promote a very safe and organized launch line. The only launch issues were due to motors that did not start. None lead to a damaged plane or plane to plane incidents. As desired, the launch line was run well all day. Thanks John.

The task would be 10 minutes all day. Landing tapes were 5 meter tapes marked in 1/2 meter 5 point increments from 5 to 50 points. First two rounds would be flown random and then seeding would take over. The goal was to fly 8 rounds. First flight was around 9 am.

Round 1:

John Jenks won flight group A with a 10:04 and a 35 landing, Don Richmond took group B with a 9:51 and a 40 landing. Group C got some challenging air. Dave Reisinger took group C with a 6:09 and no landing. The clouds were thick and there did not seem to be a lot of thermal lift, mostly wave lift.

Leaders after the first round were John Jenks, Don Richmond, Pete Schlitzkus, Mark Kotov and David Beach.

Round 2

Group A launched into the same tough air that the last group saw. Tom David won the group with a 7:02. John Jenks won group B and Paul Sullivan won group C. with Kerry Cochrell, also in group C, just a few points behind.

After 2 you have Jenks, Sullivan, Cochrell, Schlitzkus and Anderson in the top 5 spots.

Round 3 – Beginning of seeded flight groups.

David Beach won group A by a substantial margin. Group B was taken by Tom David with two others also scoring over 1000 points. John Jenks again won his group but 3 of the 4 pilots were also over 1000 points. There were some really good pilots on the field for this contest.

Leaders were Jenks, Cochrel, Schlitzkus, Sullivan and Anderson in the top 5 slots.

Round 4

David Beach took Group A with a 9:44 and a 50 landing crushing the rest of the group. Group B launched into some ugly air with the group being won by Ed Anderson with a 6:20 and a 45 landing. The good air returned for Group C with John Jenks winning the round but all Group C pilots scored over 1000.

After 4 the leaders were Jenks, Cochrel, Schlitzkus, Sullivan and Anderson in the top 5 slots.

In round 4 we had our first case of aircraft encountering a land based object earlier than the pilot had intended. While setting up for approach, Bob Anderson clipped a tree and ended his flight about 25 feet up in the branches.

Lunch Break

John brought in Chick-Fil-A and everyone ate well. The sky was getting brighter but still very cloudy. Wind had settled some but the gusts were still there, right when you didn’t want them.

The Rescue Mission

After a brief lunch break Bob Anderson and a team of supporting pilots, lead by John Jenks handling the 50 foot pole and Ed Anderson with the 30 foot pole, managed to get the Bob’s Egida electric down. Damage to the plane was minor but it was retired for the day and Bob went to his Radian as back-up for the rest of the contest.

Such incidents are always unfortunate but many of us have been there ourselves so we share the pain that Bob was feeling as he looked at is Egida up in the tree. I guess it wouldn’t be a true ESL contest if we didn't have at least one plane in a tree.

Round 5 – After lunch

Dave Reisinger crushed group A with the next closest pilot more than 4 minutes behind. David Beach won group B. John Jenks won group C, but Pete and Paul where just a few points behind John.

Don Richmond had a launch problem in Group B, taking a zero and Kerry Cochrell had a problem with his plane that took it down off field, rendering it unflyable. Kerry called it a day after that.

The leaders at this point are Jenks, Schlitzkus, Sullivan, Anderson and Beach.

Round 6

Group A hit some tough air with Don Richmond winning the round by a significant margin with an 8:27 and a 35 landing. Group B was a 3 man group with Kerry out. David Beach had the best time in B but Tom David won the group with a 45 landing. Group C, the leaders group, was won, by John Jenks, again, but Paul Sullivan was only 1.6 points behind and Pete .02 behind Paul.

The Leaders were John, Pete, Paul, Ed and David after 6 rounds.

Round 7 – The last round.

Group A was won by Ray Forceno with a 9:55 and a 20 landing. Group B was taken by David Beach with a 9:59 and a 40 landing. Group C got interesting.

The plan was for 8 rounds. And the weather had been cooperating all day but our luck was running out. As Group C, the leader group, was preparing to fly dark clouds started forming in the distance. Our CD, John Jenks, pointed out that there was a column of rain coming our way and was hopeful that we could get the round in. It looked like round 7 would be the last of the day.

Group C launched into darkening skies. Ed Anderson had a poor flight and fell well short of time at 6:09. As he was walking toward the cars the skies started to open up and the rain came. Sometimes coming down early is not such a bad thing.

The other pilots were still in the air and no one was going to give up the round or the contest just because of a little water. Despite the rain, which became heavy and gusty, the group was was taken, again, by John Jenks who was hot all day, now soaking wet.

These guys are real competitors. Despite the rain, which started to fall around 7 minutes into the round John turned in a 10:07 with a 40 landing, Paul turned in a 9:52 and a 40 landing and Pete Schlitzkus a 9:47 and a 45 landing. And I suspect the planes were carrying some water ballast upon landing.

As the skies opened and the rain came down hard people scrambled for cover under the canopies, under lift gates or just tried to get their stuff out of the rain. It came down hard for a good 20 minutes.

As it rained the scores were finalized. When the rain passed, John called a pilot’s meeting and awards were handed out. After all was totaled up:

Experts:

First place – John Jenks with a 7266.64 out of a possible perfect 7350.
Second Place – Pete Schlitzkus with a 7186.97
Third place – Paul Sullivan with a 7174.96

Just off the leaders were David Beach in fourth and Ed Anderson in fifth.

Sportsman – There were two Sportsman

First Place Mark Kotov
Second Place – Bob Anderson – Note this was Bob’s first ESL away contest. We hope he enjoyed it and will plan to attend more away contests in the future.

Note that Dave Reisinger shows as sportsman on the score sheets but he flew expert.

All in all it was a great day. Many of the pilots would return for the second contest on Sunday. Unfortunately I would not be able to attend so I won’t be turning in a report for Sunday.

Saturday Photos
Sunday Photos

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #21
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Sounds like a great contest Ed!

I think I need a signature.
Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes