Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)
Default ST Models 61" Blaze floors me!!

Finally got a little rc building time today, (got a few kits to build) and put together the Blaze. In my short experience with foam a/c, this has to be the MOST simplest, but well-thought out plane I have put together.

Applying just the stickers took almost 30mins. Assembly at most took maybe another 40mins. (of course motor, electrics are ready installed at factory!!!) NO GLUE!! Plane came packaged very well as expected from Tower Hobbies. Very Minor wingtip rash was the only damage if you want to call it that. The application of the stickers did take a little finesse getting them off the sheet, but after that it was simple. Instructions w/ pics were sufficient.

The AUW is listed at 31.8oz, but it feels a tad heavier. I was pleasantly surprised to see how large a motor that they stuffed into the nose cone, no specs. But with a 10x6 folding prop, I don't think I will have any power problems. Speaking of nose cones, no more flimsy 2 dollar nose cones here. This one is built like a rock, very solid. The tinted canopy is easy on/off for battery access. Manf. calls for a 1800mah, but a 2200mah will fit, barely.
In addition to the nose cone, the canopy is also very well made and not cheap or weak looking. Every little great detail with the plane, just makes me giddy!!

The process to put on the V-tail is a little bit tricky, my big fingers didn't help getting in the way, the servos are physically mounted to each elevator and sit very snug at the end of the fuselage.

The CF square tubing for the wing spar is very strong and it took a little muscle to get it into place as it was very snug, no need for glue at all. The butterfly shaped top wing saddle, pic below, IMO makes for a great wing mount, the two pieces of plastic screwed together from the bottom into the top wing saddle is a great idea. The way it was designed is the 4 small carbon fiber strips and the 2 big carbon tubing pieces (yes 6 pieces of CF in the Wing!! Awesome) comes together to sit in little channels built right into the top wing saddle. Very strong! As skinny as the fuse is, it is very "heavy" and stiff. There is even a wooden firewall and interior wooden support which I consider a true bonus!! I do kinda wished that it had a center wheel to land on.

If this a/c flys as good as it is built, I will be smiling ear to ear for days!!

For 130 dollars, this has to be one of my new favs. There is carbon fiber all over this plane, 2 big pieces laterally in the fuse, 2 small pieces in the tail feathers and 6 pieces in the wing. Are you kidding Me!! Can you say "MAGINIFQUE"
Maybe I am going overboard, but if you "need" a sailplane/warmliner, you gotta get one of these!
Maiden is going to be a while windy windy windy here for the next week.

I do have one question, the CF in the fuse is about 3/8" width, Will that have any bad effect on communicating between the tx and the rx? I do have one satellite, but the CF almost runs the entire length of the fuse?
Also I wonder how hard it would be to add a center wheel just for kicks.
Ok maybe more than one question, Does anyone know what are the specs on the motor? It is at least 1-1/2dia, sliver and gold and no numbers. Not even a peep of info on esc or motor, kinda diff.

have a good one
cr

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00238(1).JPG
Views:	543
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	149496

Name:	DSC00237.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	149497

Name:	DSC00239.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	149498
Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Barely any wind tonite just for an hour or so. Almost got to do a maiden tonite......but forgot to notice the plugin on the ESC. They are EC3, I have deans ultra Doooogh!! Great nite for grillin though!!!! Mmmmmm!!

have a good one
cr
Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

The new four letter word of the month(probably next months word too!)........WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
......I wonder if you can maiden a 62" plane in your house....Hmmmmmmm

"This is Air Traffic Controller Wife, CR fiver-fouwer-niner heavy the pattern is full".........Denied!!!!!

Add to July honey-do-list......Build 150,000sqft addition onto house for hotub and 300ft runway She did say that she needed more storage space!!!

have a good one
cr
Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Man I am getting kinda nervous now.......104 and 12mph getting ready for maiden right now......thunderstorms (i call em popcorn fart storm, here and there) are everywhere around me, charging cam too so hope to get some good lightning footage havent flown in over 45 days....I hope I remember how....gona warm up on a formosa, then we shall see what kind of a/c the Blaze really is.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #5
squidger

Friends: (3)

Be careful pulling high g manoevres. Had my blaze for about six months and had loads of fun hours flyin then one day was flyin fast and pullin fast rolls and bankin and yankin when one of the tail fins broke off. You have no way of landing when your elevator input is at 45 degrees to the wing. It just skewers out of control with any elevator input. When I repaired it I converted it to a standard tail and it flies well. Didn't bother with a rudder this time but it does most things well.

If you check out youtube vids you will see this is a weak point on the model as it has happened to others too.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

MAIDENFANTASTIC!! Video is uploading as I type. It has been FOREVER since I have flown. I was gonna warm up with the formosa, but got a red light on the ar600, stuipd sprectrum crap.

O WELL.....The blaze might not be considered a hot liner, but it definitely a very warm liner.
The best flying glider/warmliner I have flown todate. (HAHA It's the only one and the First One and Not the Last One.) Sorry I am really pumped up!!!!!!Ailerons rate is ok,,,,,,but dual rates are needed on elevator.

Got so excited hit LVC at about 250ft. and it took forever(exaggeration maybe 20 secs) for it to come down. It was my first deadstick landing with no damage with contact in tall blue stem. The speed whistle is sensational, it is something that I have never heard and it made my skin crawl with excitement. It was also my first hand launch, little bit nervous, but I got over it very quickly as I threw her up underhand at about 80degrees angle and she just pretended that she was a rocket. I even felt the wind from the prop as she went into the heavens. I nosed her over at approx 150ft and trimmed did a roll and some lazy circles, it was a perfect nite 8mph wind. Even after stepping in cow pooooooop!

I went WOT couple times with the wind and it resulted in what I would call a screaming hawk whistle. I was having sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun, I totally forgot to start my timer on my Jr Dsx7, and my 1300mah battery was way hot and mildly swollen by the time I got her back to earth.
It was the first time that I had truly experienced deadstick, (remind myself to program brake, with brake on prop I think she would be still gliding....LOL) I was at least 750ft away and going down wind when she went dead, but I was able to slowly turn her and land her pretty well 45ft away from my shaking feet.

Took the 1300mah out and it was hot and soft, not a whole lot of airflow in the esc and battery compartment, gonna cut some foam tomorrow. ESC was pretty hot too, but that is my fault. I have heard about a 2200mah fitting, dunno about that maybe a 1800mah. Manf. suggested COG was absolutely PERFECT right out of the box. Can ask for anything more.
Missed Daytona Race, but it dont matter cuz
I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE ....BOYZ and (girls)

have a great day with whatever you fly.

CrimzonhappyfreakingRider

BTW Video will be finished in a bit. If you watch, turn volume down, no music, just raw unadulterated flight footage. How the heck am I going to sleep tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Whats the deal with youtube.com. Tried to upload 286meg *.mov file and it canceled three times? Maybe I try vimeo.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Finally the video, not the best in the west, but its been long time. The Blaze is a gonna take a little ingenuity to make a bracket to hold the staypro 45g mini cam, not many places to mount it.

Sorry, music lovers, just raw uncut video here, turn your volume down due to nasty wind noise.

thanks for watching
cr
Old 07-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
Be careful pulling high g manoevres. Had my blaze for about six months and had loads of fun hours flyin then one day was flyin fast and pullin fast rolls and bankin and yankin when one of the tail fins broke off. You have no way of landing when your elevator input is at 45 degrees to the wing. It just skewers out of control with any elevator input. When I repaired it I converted it to a standard tail and it flies well. Didn't bother with a rudder this time but it does most things well.

If you check out youtube vids you will see this is a weak point on the model as it has happened to others too.

Thanks squidger. Trying to make the vtail little more rigid right now with some thin alum tubing that is really light. I really like the servo setup for the v-tail, but the little bracket that holds the servos needs to be a lot more rigid.
Also the tail end of the fuse twist so much which IMHO causes the whole tail assembly to flutter at higher speeds. I am still learning the flight characteristics of the Blaze, yeah I am noticing some probs, but that is part of the fun. Kinda of starting to worry me is the heat of the stock motor, esc(50 amp), and battery. The esc is twice the amps as the stock one and it still gets hot? Dunno, Maybe somebody has a answer.. Not hot enough to redlight the esc, but I am not pushing WOT the whole time, added 4 3/8" holes for better ventilation for next time.

Heres a "little better" raw video (sorry no music again, and way too much blue hue) Only one "speed" pass as it was way too hot 104deg. Also you gotta see my crop circles in the dirt. Self-portrait included!!

have a great 4th of July
Thanks to all the Armed Forces for their Service!
cr

Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Holy cow! Look at all that movement back there on a brand new airframe! And the one spot on the whole airplane where you can't afford to add too much weight too.

Well, unlike squidger, you can figure out how to fix it when it ain't broken. Should be interesting. You sure can't say the plane isn't worth fixing. What a beauty of a flier!

Keep us posted on what you do and that aft looking camera is just the thing for checking out the results.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Holy cow! Look at all that movement back there on a brand new airframe! And the one spot on the whole airplane where you can't afford to add too much weight too.

Well, unlike squidger, you can figure out how to fix it when it ain't broken. Should be interesting. You sure can't say the plane isn't worth fixing. What a beauty of a flier!

Keep us posted on what you do and that aft looking camera is just the thing for checking out the results.
No Lie, I went up in expo and its still a twitchy beotch. I am pretty smooth with my 182 and even the little formosa.(and those are flown with a dx5e) I just added two pieces of alum tubing 5/16", to the LE of the elev and with just a touch of epoxy and it helped the elevator flutter marginally better.
Dunno if you can see it in the video, but the tail end of the fuse twists like crazy. It has two pieces of CF tubing inside most of the length of the fuse, but I guess it not thick enough. I think that is where the main problem lies. But it might be "engineeeeeeered" to twist and to give a little in the event of a crash. I have been flying with a 35c 1300 3s, I tried fitting a 25 2200 3s in it but it is about 3 tics (3/8" for those non-okies) too nose heavy, (no moving the 2200 towards the back, no extra space.) so if I wanted I could add an oz of CF rod to stiffen it up even more with no ill effects.

Awesome No.3 flight tonight with t-storms and lightning in the background. First two flights hit LVC in 6.5 mins...OOPS....Third time must be the charm, very ez throttle up and glide down, after 10 times of trying to get this very float crazy aircraft to return to earth, it still took me another 3 mins just to bring her in at my feet 10ft away. This type of flying resulted in 12:36mins and 3.28's across the board. Motor, esc and battery were still too hot for this type of flying. Need more AirFlow!!! Gettin more and more comfortable tonite, did several lazy floatie 8's. Still kinda funky looking turns, but getting better.
One thing that I am totally new to is the folding prop. When it is folded, the Blaze doesnt want to come home to earth. I had to double my approach distance( I flew over powerlines by 10ft which were approx 400 yards south of me with a north 4mph wind, throttled off at 200 yards at 25ft off the deck and without any elev input(None, I promise) it would go by me at 6ft of the deck!!!! I have never experienced that. It was simply amazing that when the prop is folded, the plane flew like it had zero drag, but it would stall if I just barely cracked the throttle. Lots of others might have experienced this, but this is a first for me. My timer went off at 6mins and it took me almost 7 more to bring her down.
Landing was about a 7 outa 10, did a baby flat cartwheel and a donut which brought the tail around to within several feet. As I walked back to the house, felt the sweet relief of raindrops falling on my head. (note to self, bring pelican case next time for dsx7 in case of rain). Opened a lone star and sat down, It really doesn't get any better than this. Of course, 13min video was taken but will edit w/ music this time as it was almost 600meg! Have a safe Fourth of July.

have a great one
cr
Old 07-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
squidger

I find you can do really fast low flyby's if you gain lots of height then cut the motor and dive steeply pulling out about 50 feet off ground. She flies nearly twice as fast with prop folded. As for landing, I tend to get it all sorted and pointed into wind quite a distance away then climb to the stall point which slows her down dramatically and as long asyou dont input a turn the stall is flat, then recover and land her easily as all that speed will be scrubbed off. Nice vid
Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

IMO The best way that I found was to glently rock her back and forth, and she would lose a bit more altitude and lots of speed. As for the problem with the v-tail, last nite at 4am, I think I came up with something that will still allow twisting of fuse, but will stiffen up the connection between elev, servos and the tail end of the fuse. Still working on it as my better half says, Get a move on!!

have a good one
cr
Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #14
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

No.5 Flight tonite. Very simple mod of putting small alum tubing along the LE of the elevators help a lot on the second flight with the tubing on. The last flight was still lots of flutter in the elevator itself, but I added just a simple drop of glue where the tubing and the fuse meet and the stiffness is improved.
Yes, it still flexs but with less severity and jolts. A mildly satisfactory improvement. BUT...........
with a flick of a switch for D/R for elev made her scream and whistle with much delight, after checking motor, this flight was a little (ok a lot more) yank and bank, incredible turns and pretty good flight until I went inverted, full up elev was not enough to keep her in level flight. At 75ft above the deck, I flipped her over dirty side down, but it was too late. Lost airspeed instantly (my fault) and she went down fairly hard, nose cone and motor separation is what I would call it.

But definitely easy fix, got plenty of alum tubing left. Crash description was pretty violent, half-way flat spin cart wheel, but wings are fine....little rash.....but now she is mine!!
Thinking I might cut new control surfaces on the elevator, might help a bit with inverted flight, but I really dont do that a lot. Just another rookie mistake, 1 mistake high and I made two mistakes!!!

Put a 2000mah battery in her tonight, yeah I had to move the electronics around a bit to get it to fit, but after a 7 min 1/4 throttle flight, 3.94's for all 3 cells.
Also drilled out to enlarge the small airscoop on both sides of the nose cone for better airflow, air temp was 83 degrees, motor and battery were cool but the ESC was still a tad too warm for my liking. Little bigger holes up front will surely do the trick. Also fixed the blue hue on my vids, I like blue but this is crazy. Video is uploading as I type. Forgot I was on video, so excuse what comes out of my mouth!

have a good one
cr
Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #15
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

No.6 and 7 Flights tonight, having probs uploading video to youtube.com, almost at limit ISP(5gb). No.6 started out as a good flight, getting very stable, but lost signal when I put power lines (first time that happened, but might be a servo getting cogged) between me and the plane. Hardly any damage, checked everything out, the forward part of the fuse was slightly warped down, but not broken at all. Interior parts had no damage and motor and prop were perfect. (Side note, prop and nose cone are very strong, the no.5 flight that resulted in a crash was pretty brutal, but other than a little grass and dirt the motor and prop are without a scratch.)

No.7 was a very good flight lasting 9 mins, just average flying at 1/2 throttle. I was able to show myself how to make it forward progress in 5mph wind with no power. Flying downwind 500 yds, killed the power and tried to make it back to my position. Almost made it, power back on within 100yds to keep it from kissing the earth. For me, it is good to know I can make it back in a slight wind if battery life is non-existent. Also practiced, with no power, flying on the verge of stalling. I just read about while trimming a plane, you can power off and if she stalls immediately, your plane is out of trim or too much up elevator. The Blaze barely tilts nose down after cutting power, so I think it is very close to perfect.

Probably the last flight for a while as I hear the wind picking back up outside as I type. Will have plenty of time to tear into the servos and see if I have a power hog in one of them. No binding at all, but figuring cheap easily stripped stock servos.

Landing was uneventful and smooth as silk. (for once) Videos tonight were facing the front and were marginally ok views.

I think I have sufficient airflow now, after doubling the size of the intake, exhaust ports and additional 4 holes in canopy, the motor and the electronics were warm within reason.

I really like how this a/c flys, but the wind was very very different on the surface up to 50ft(E almost zero-5mph), than it was at say 400ft(SE/S 5mph to very abrupt gusts to 10). With no power, I could see it surging left in a crosswind and turn and dip a wing into the wind on a dime. Then it would recover with very little input from me and continue crosswind with a little rudder. Almost like from level to a downward 'S" swoop back to almost level. Pretty cool and very relaxing.( I was already relaxing for the last four hrs having had several Michelobs by the pool. Very easy for me to read the plane and tell what the wind is doing.

I really like the aluminum tubing that I installed on the elev and will soon replace it with CF rod that I bought today and bury it very close to the LE of the Elevator and into the fuse. Very simple permanent mod for such a horrible problem with flutter with the entire elevator assembly. I will check CG after mod, and if it allows it I might add an additional CF rod to back edge of the elevator and re-hinge the control surfaces.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
squidger

Lets hope that will sort out the tail problem for you.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Lets hope that will sort out the tail problem for you.
I am pretty confident it has,(fingers crossed). Getting ready to tear the elevators apart, thought about also making the "seat" where the elev servos are located and making it a tad deeper. Upon further inspection, the elev and elevator servos do not sit down in the fuselage chamber as well as I had expected. Kinda of a big miss on my part. Hopefully it shouldn't take too much more to make it perfect.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #18
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Got two more flights in tonight, little gust front blew through, no rain, but after a while conditions went to zero winds and 83 degrees.

First flight was, how do I say.....Phenomenal....She flew like she was on rails.
Pretty lazy flight, as usual, but a couple loop-de-loop for my better half after she asked me several times, " Can you do one of those things, like you go up and woooop" LOL Yes I can Darling!.

100% Satisfied with how the tail flutter worked out. Hardly anything there now, maybe at the tips, but that is too be expected. Of course, as always, it was more of a operator error than the planes. Simply said the servo connectors were sitting underneath the servos not allowing them to seat correctly in the servo tray. Even then, the both elevators would not sit down flush with the fuse. So I added two little strips of 3" balsa to act like a shim on either side of the fuse and that was the trick. She handled so much better in 3/4 power turns. Landing was pretty easy with the wind increasing to 3-5mph.

Second Flight was full bank and yank...lol with a 35c battery she is a screamer. The last half of the flight wind was increasing steadily to about 15mph, not too bad, but at the 5min whistle it was time to land. She came down with no problems at all.

Pics of Good Evening that had been a long time coming!

have a good one
cr

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vlcsnap-381745.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	150736

Name:	vlcsnap-382755.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	150737

Name:	vlcsnap-382775.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	150738

Name:	vlcsnap-382896.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	150739
Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #19
squidger

Sounds like you had a top evenings flying there. Good pics
Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Sounds like you had a top evenings flying there. Good pics
Last 23 days have been in the 110s degree range, four days ago we hit all time record of 116degrees in the shade Its been brutal, I live on a cattle ranch, I mean a desert ranch!! So yeah it was awesome, it was pretty much a mental break too.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #21
squidger

You are so lucky to have both good weather and an excellent flying site. Enjoy.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #22
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Thanks I usually stay inside a 40 acre patch of 10" alfalfa that I am not going to cut, because it is so dry. Last nite I have been reading your old threads and really enjoyed it. The Blaze is quickly becoming one of my favorite a/c, it makes me look like a better pilot than I really am! Especially on landing, IMVHO she can fly pretty fast and zoom around doing corkscrews, but I have been able to slow her down pretty well to land.

I am trying get enough pilots to start up an old contest! Hope you join....

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...d=1#post823109

The ST Models Blaze is probably not the best a/c to attempt this, but it is what I have for now.

Have a good one
cr
Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #23
squidger

I found slowing her down for landing to be the hard bit. Best bit is gettin loads of height and chopping the throttle, gettin the nose down and hearing her whistle past. So addictive.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #24
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Yeah I watched that one last nite, great vid, watch many others that you have posted in the past, too. I wonder how many other pilots have a Blaze, this is a very exceptional a/c.
This biggest problem with the a/c is getting the stickers on her to make it look shiny!
It has "tons" of CF, motor, prop, esc already installed, looks great in the air as it whistles by, you would think everyone would have one. Having only flown electrics since nov 10', I am still learning, but this Blaze makes me have flights that seem impervious to that fact.

I would not call this a trainer, maybe a trainer into the hot liner world, but it sure has given my confidence in my piloting skills a big shot of Nitrous! It would be great as a 3rd or 4th plane for pilots starting out or at least pilots that have mastered landing perfectly.
I log every flight and even "grade" myself, only one has not been a A or A+, and that one was my fault flying inverted to low on low rates and crashing.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #25
squidger

I don't think you are giving your flying skills enough credit. I agree the Blaze does fly well most of the time but it can and will bite you if you lose too much speed in the turn. It has a tendency to tip stall although will recover easily provided you have enough height or battery power to accelerate enough to pick up the wing. So whilst it may make a relative beginner look better than they are it can also catch out an accomplished flyer.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes