Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)
Default where to begin

I just received my first quad, the HK SK450 rtf.
This unit comes with the KK2 board. This board seems solid although a little long in the teeth compare to the newer flight controllers available.
Seeing as I am a newbie to multirotors is there a better board available with a better self leveling feature, perhaps a heading lock and altitude control?
Too much to ask for under a $100.
I was looking at the HKpilot Mega V2.5 but don't really know enough if this is a good choice.
Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
I just received my first quad, the HK SK450 rtf.
This unit comes with the KK2 board. This board seems solid although a little long in the teeth compare to the newer flight controllers available.
Seeing as I am a newbie to multirotors is there a better board available with a better self leveling feature, perhaps a heading lock and altitude control?
Too much to ask for under a $100.
I was looking at the HKpilot Mega V2.5 but don't really know enough if this is a good choice.
Thanks
Head lock (or RTH) and altitude correction.... under a $100.00 that will be compatible with the HK SK450 (Turnigy)....?......Not that I'm aware of......NAZA maybe....but not sure the newer M-V2 version will be.....it may take other mod's to get what you want....and all said and done, you'll have a Phantom priced craft in the end.......

AMA 928214
Old 05-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS
Friends: (0)

I Just flew (today) a MultiWii Pro 2.0 W/ gps from Ready to fly quads and it looks promising. It has the features you are looking for at less than 100 dollars.

But you will have to do some learning with Multiwii, arduino, and the multiwii GUI. You can get these with the software loaded and gps set up. All I needed to change was one line of the sketch to handle my esc's low throttle setting.

All the information is available on the website including the drivers programs and settings. Also the site has a wiki page with quickstart info that would be so beneficial to newbies.

My 450 clone flew excellent with the loaded settings and was very stable. I have done multiwii and megapriate before and they did not fly this stable on the same air frame.

I am not affiliated with ready to fly quads, just an impressed customer.
If you place an order be patient as they are going to configure your device and that will take longer. I have two of their gimbals and they work so well.

The other side of this is that the KK2.0 is easy to setup and easy to update the firmware. Keep adjusting your settings on the auto level until it preforms better. So easy to do just need my reading glasses.

Good luck and let me know if I can help. Oh get the case also.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 05-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Wrongway-Feldman

Thanks for the info guys. I've been reading a lot today about the various boards and their features. I did pull the trigger on the hkpilot mega.
It's coming by slow boat so it'll be a while to arrive.
In the mean time I've dumped the incredibly awful tx that came with the quad and installed an Rx and have it set up with my 9xr. Huge improvement just in that as trims were always way off kilter with the cheapo tx.
Followed a number of setup guides for the KK2 which also made some difference.
This KK2 comes with 1.2 firmware and my adapter to flash it is coming on the same boat as the FC. So for now it will have to do. I'll have to flash the ESC's as well as I'm having some issues with them.
When testing the system motors will stop running till throttle is brought back to idle.
Only seems to happen when a full stick movement is held such as full left rudder. Only one motor cuts at a time. It's been too windy to see if it does it with props on.

Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Here's what flubber is referring to:

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/mul...ontroller.html

Although the cost's for such are very inviting.......the set-ups and compatibility issues take time to iron out and get comfortable with...!

Flubber is no novice at this....he's been tinkering with in-expensive quad set-ups for sometime now and is quite knowledgable (I review many of his posts here and at other forums).....but for the average guy with limited experience...(me being one in the quad/hex arena), I've found spending a little more on systems that need less firmware adaption, less external/internal hardware configuration and provide very reliable customer service and support......and advice from guys I know who get paid in this trade, systems like Multiwii, arduino, and the multiwii GUI (which are constantly changing and being upgraded for bugs) are not used by most of those who require reliable, multi-compatible, plug & adjust, systems.
Even though I have no intentions of getting serious into A/R, video recording or long range telemetry....I still feel alot more comfortable with equipment that is core based tested and proven....rather than investing in the continued onslaught of low budget beta versions and firmware upgrades...... just to keep my craft in the air!.......been there-done that with heli's........never again!

AMA 928214
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8

Me too Pizzano everything you say is correct. The most cost effective and highly reliable flight controller I am flying (not that this is the only one) is the NAZA Lite system. Even this system takes a little time with tuning to get it spot on. Now I have more channels on the radio and can use in flight tuning.
What impressed me about the Ready to fly quads board was that it flew well without any tuning. Just flew it again and still none of the tedious tuning as with other stuff.

All in all it is tough to beat the blade 350QX for beginners. It has the most panic free return to home mode and in the safe mode complete new pilots can fly it. We had several newbies try them last week at our Family day. It will carry the gopro and let you get some great video.

I am uploading a boring video with some excellent shots in it and will post a link when it is done. It took a lot of reading, learning and tuning to get to where the videos come out this smooth. But the journey was well worth it and a lot of fun.

Terry

Old 05-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #7
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8

Here is the promised video http://youtu.be/ZOxcIVb1NE8

Terry

Old 05-05-2014, 01:12 AM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Very nice vid flubber....especially due to the limited natural lighting.

Your last post mentioned the 350QX.......I have flown a few and still debating spending $400.00 now, wait for the price to come down or get on-board with a 200QX. I have spoken to two Horizon rep's about the 200QX (due out late May 2014). Both mentioned that unit may come with a GPS version (RTH) feature.......and as advertised, has real decent load capacity for it's size. For under $300.00 (if RTH) is added, it would be a killer deal....can't beat the SAFE technology, reliability and simplicity if one is a Spektrum owner....

I mention the 200QX because I own two quality (cube/dice size) cameras with SD cards.....both record in HD (AVI/MOV) and were not cheapies (surveillance quality stuff)...I like the idea of being able to fly both indoor and outdoor.....the 350 is a handful indoors!

Still on the fence.....but I do love flying my NANO QX and Traxxas....they have really sharpened my pilot skills (without fear or apprehension) like my heli's gave me.....

AMA 928214
Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #9
Wrongway-Feldman

It's the tinkering I actually enjoy in most hobbies. The more I tinker the more I learn.
I find a system that works out of the box doesn't really teach you much.
I've seen the videos of the truly beginner friendly quads where it just holds its position in the air. You can even walk up and nudge it and it won't move.
You'll learn the basics of control but not how it really works.
I find for me it's best to learn why and how something works.
To that end and open source system always ends up being the best fit for my needs.
The KK2 is configurable. And multiple versions of firmware are available.
But it simply does not have all the features like a compass and barometer.
I'm not adding GPS as at this point I have no need for RTH. Also not doing fpv till prices come way down.
When the time comes I'll probably cobble up an fpv system on the cheap using odd ball parts and forever be tinkering to get it to work properly. But that's half the fun.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:39 AM   #10
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I hear ya Feldman.....I enjoy the repair/build aspect as well.......just hate the hassle of 2nd rate equipment that I've poured $$$ into and continue to get the same results....(I think that's referred to as insanity....)

Besides, there's plenty to learn related to quad/hex technology....especially when you get in the air, photo and fpv......It's just me, but I'd rather spend my time learning on a proven and reliable system that keeps me flying rather than sitting at my bench testing another configuration or set-up that has potential for "insanity"...............looking forward to your progress. I'm sure I'll learn something new...I know I do every time I check out flubber's work....

AMA 928214
Old 05-05-2014, 03:28 AM   #11
Wrongway-Feldman

Sometimes there is just something magical when it all comes together, even if just for a moment.
I once had an old Alfa Romeo GTV6. It's my favorite car I've ever owned and I've had close to 60 so far.
It never ran right, something was always broken, the electrical was absurd.
But for those fleeting moments when everything was working it was the greatest driving experience of my life. That is why I tinker, and sometimes do things on the super cheap.
Just can't get that feeling from quality products that just work.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors